Tony Mowbray (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

Ok injuries the season we fucked it up can be blamed on injuries or loss of form.
The next season he kept trying to sign Championship players for our league 1 team (of course we never had the money and most other teams would not have had either).
I think he banked on us going up the season before (so scouted for that), so when we never he never had a plan B so messed up the transfers.
If i was cheap enough and had a youtube video he would have signed me.
Once he realised he had messed it up he bailed out (yes for no pay off BUT i think by doing so he kept his standing in the game). If he had stayed then that could have harmed it and found it harder to get a new team.
He never left for free as he is a gent, he was looking after himself and his next job.

Grendel

He also gave us a great 9 months of a team playing well and didnt take a penny out the club when he left even though he could of unlike previous managers

It was 4 months and he resigned so the club owed him nothing anyway

higgs

It was 4 months and he resigned so the club owed him nothing anyway
He could have waited until he was sacked and got a pay off the natives were getting restless in the crowd the team being booed off the pitch was only a matter of time before the club pulled the trigger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

He could have waited until he was sacked and got a pay off the natives were getting restless in the crowd the team being booed off the pitch was only a matter of time before the club pulled the trigger

Sure

Brighton Sky Blue

He bombed and parachuted out before it hit the ground

higgs

Would he have kept us up if he stayed? Surely couldn't have been worse than Venus and slade?

JimmyHillsbeard

Ok injuries the season we fucked it up can be blamed on injuries or loss of form.
The next season he kept trying to sign Championship players for our league 1 team (of course we never had the money and most other teams would not have had either).
I think he banked on us going up the season before (so scouted for that), so when we never he never had a plan B so messed up the transfers.
If i was cheap enough and had a youtube video he would have signed me.
Once he realised he had messed it up he bailed out (yes for no pay off BUT i think by doing so he kept his standing in the game). If he had stayed then that could have harmed it and found it harder to get a new team.
He never left for free as he is a gent, he was looking after himself and his next job.

agree w most of this but he wasn’t banking on promotion, or if he was he hadn’t got that message through to his players. I remember distinctly Sam Ricketts (his captain) telling them local press that we were over performing when we were in the playoff positions.

Legia Sky Blue

He clearly didn’t feel he could

I disagree. Our expectations as fans at that time was that we should be top half & challenging for the play offs, regardless of who had or hadn't signed for us. Even our worse doom & gloom merchants were not predicting relegation at the time Mowbray resigned, most still thought we had a good shot of staying up even when Slade took over. I believe Mowbray resigned because he believed that he had failed to provide a team capable of challenging for the play offs, or even the top half, not because we were a team about to get relegated.

Otis

I blame him but still like him as a man. Comes across as a decent fella.
Exactly this.

Really like him as a bloke. He did have us playing some great football at one point, but by the end of his tenure here he had totally lost the plot.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Timely

for the record , i always rated murphy and could see he had talent , thought our fans were extremely harsh on him and many at the time were wanting ryan haynes to take his place on the left...had a chat with him at wigan away and he said things were getting ontop of him then in regards to fan criticicm aimed at him ...nice lad , had something different to offer the club and would have him here right now if we could , obviously not happening anytime soon .....i gave jacob murphy my player of the season vote that year

Evo1883

in terms of mogga , weve had much much worse over the last 20 years , i actually used to enjoy watching us and the crowds reflected the standard of football at times , slade and pressley 2 extremely poor managers the latter proving so at every job afterwards

SlowerThanPlatt

in terms of mogga , weve had much much worse over the last 20 years , i actually used to enjoy watching us and the crowds reflected the standard of football at times , slade and pressley 2 extremely poor managers the latter proving so at every job afterwards

Pressley had us playing great football too, for a longer period than Mowbray under worse circumstances

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed we have, mind you Pressley did have to overcome a points deduction and the exile in Northampton but he had lost the plot by the end. The truth is that every manager sacking since 2001 has been justified with very few exceptions

Evo1883

Pressley had us playing great football too, for a longer period than Mowbray under worse circumstances
He had Robins team mostly, and once he assembled his own team it was fucking horrendous shite... So bad fans spent most matches flashing their phone torches at each other

clint van damme

for the record , i always rated murphy and could see he had talent , thought our fans were extremely harsh on him and many at the time were wanting ryan haynes to take his place on the left...had a chat with him at wigan away and he said things were getting ontop of him then in regards to fan criticicm aimed at him ...nice lad , had something different to offer the club and would have him here right now if we could , obviously not happening anytime soon .....i gave jacob murphy my player of the season vote that year

the shit our fans gave him was embarrassing.

SlowerThanPlatt

He had Robins team mostly, and once he assembled his own team it was fucking horrendous shite... So bad fans spent most matches flashing their phone torches at each other

They had similar spells here really, great for half a season then it all unravelled once the young players got injured or form dropped

Mowbray did bring in Ramage, Hunt, Lorentszon, Henderson of course

Evo1883

They had similar spells here really, great for half a season then it all unravelled once the young players got injured or form dropped

The football was better under Mowbray, Robins played better football than Pressley and once Pressley got his hands on players coming in he just played extremely dull football... He was also not missed by the academy lads he used to treat like dirt

Brighton Sky Blue

The football was better under Mowbray, Robins played better football than Pressley and once Pressley got his hands on players coming in he just played extremely dull football... He was also not missed by the academy lads he used to treat like dirt

Like Callum Wilson?

Evo1883

For some unknown reason I can't remember much about dowie... Maybe a period in my life that just passed me by but I only remember old Trafford... I cant remember much about his league form etc 🤷

Brighton Sky Blue

For some unknown reason I can't remember much about dowie... Maybe a period in my life that just passed me by but I only remember old Trafford... I cant remember much about his league form etc 🤷

His league form went pretty rancid, the cup games were the exception

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Murphy player of the season?

Dear God. Worst player on the pitch in over 20 games.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This argument has been done to death.

Some people will never accept Mowbray did anything wrong and having Slade appointed is the perfect scapegoat for them.

Mowbray was the catalyst that started our relegation and the season previously that team should have gotten into the playoffs. Apart from about four months of positive football, his time at the club is tainted with frustration really.

He is now at Blackburn with a much bigger budget and a squad full of quite a few better players than us. We rolled over for them and it was an easy 3 points. Not really anything to see here I think.

fernandopartridge

Pressley was made to sell or otherwise lost Clarke, Wilson, Baker, Moussa, Christie. He can hardly be blamed for struggling to replace all of those tbf

Users who are viewing this thread