Tony Mowbray (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

Well it seems now you’re blaming an unsettled defence for troubles in front of goal.

If you aren't scoring goals, arma 12 games, Murphy 13 games.... And your defence isn't as good as it was due to key injuries... Then you always run the risk of losing matches... Fairly basic logic

Remember Murphy and his penalty miss at home and the fan reaction? I do it was appalling.
But another example nonetheless

Brighton Sky Blue

I think if he had stuck it out we wouldn't have gone down. I'm certain results would have been better than we had under Venus and Slade anyway. He also has my respect for resigning rather than waiting for a payoff from being sacked.

That last part is fair enough

Grendel

I think if he had stuck it out we wouldn't have gone down. I'm certain results would have been better than we had under Venus and Slade anyway. He also has my respect for resigning rather than waiting for a payoff from being sacked.
We were averaging a point a game since January the previous year

As I said at the time

NorthernWisdom

As I said at the time

Didn't even deserve a taxi.

Brighton Sky Blue

As I said at the time

Astute went MIA there I see

NorthernWisdom

Anyway, Mowbray...

Seems to be a half-decent manager, always has his teams playing good football... he was an odd choice for us, as much because he had no experience of managing at our level. That showed, arguably, as his good team was filled of young loanees who were talented but burned out a little, and also had no experience of our level. Once they all went back, he didn't know where to look for players suitable for where we were at. It also showed the dangers of relying on half a team of loan players.

Glad he's done well at Blackburn - apart from yesterday, of course!

JimmyHillsbeard

Always thought he was a nice bloke and he transformed some of the atmosphere around the club when he came in but he did seriously run out of ideas and even in his good season for every Vincelot and Murphy there was a Stephen Hunt and Darius Henderson.

his record at Blackburn has been ok. He got them relegated before getting them promoted but has done ok since.

yesterday he added his name to the list of managers/coaches who have outsmarted us this season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Always thought he was a nice bloke and he transformed some of the atmosphere around the club when he came in but he did seriously run out of ideas and even in his good season for every Vincelot and Murphy there was a Stephen Hunt and Darius Henderson.

his record at Blackburn has been ok. He got them relegated before getting them promoted but has done ok since.

yesterday he added his name to the list of managers/coaches who have outsmarted us this season.

Not outsmarting really it’s just copying an open secret

better days

Mowbray is one of the most popular people in football
He's as straight as they come and has never talked publicly of why he decided to leave the club with no job to go to or angling for a payoff
It was a chaotic time with Chris Anderson walking out in similar circumstances not long before
What followed was a text book case of how not to run a club with Mark Venus, Russell Slade and finally Mark Robins all managing the club that season
In some ways Robins possibly benefitted from the disarray that had gone before by making sure he had more day to day control than Mowbray ever had

fernandopartridge

Mowbray is one of the most popular people in football
He's as straight as they come and has never talked publicly of why he decided to leave the club with no job to go to or angling for a payoff
It was a chaotic time with Chris Anderson walking out in similar circumstances not long before
What followed was a text book case of how not to run a club with Mark Venus, Russell Slade and finally Mark Robins all managing the club that season
In some ways Robins possibly benefitted from the disarray that had gone before by making sure he had more day to day control than Mowbray ever had
Tbf though Mowbray works with Wagott at Blackburn, so perhaps that's how he likes it

Super Graham Withey

I spoke with Mowbray at length during a game between Barnsley and Doncaster in the February of the season when we collapsed around Christmas. His honesty regarding CCFC was astounding and it was clear then that it was never going to work out with him as manager. He felt genuinely sorry for the supporters of CCFC.

clint van damme

I spoke with Mowbray at length during a game between Barnsley and Doncaster in the February of the season when we collapsed around Christmas. His honesty regarding CCFC was astounding and it was clear then that it was never going to work out with him as manager. He felt genuinely sorry for the supporters of CCFC.

course you did

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s a bail out though as it wasn’t an issue when we were winning games and sitting at the top of the table. Not every failure is down to our owners, the manager has to take accountability too

Grendel

So he whines to supporters trying to absolve from any blame. At least that blows the nice guy image out the window

Mucca Mad Boys

Always liked mogga... Don't blame him for our relegation at all 🤷 we had 36 games to stay up and had only lost 4 when he left... Moving on

He’s a good manager, his career reflects that. Just not with us. We bottled it by not making the playoffs in his first full season.

Following that season, the squad he assembled was poor and setup us up for failure. Perhaps there was stuff going on behind closed doors, such as reduced budget and so on. If that was the case, why did we spend half the summer chasing players like Kelvin Wilson when we didn’t really stand a chance in landed them?

This is the area he’s responsible for. The damage was done by leaving Venus in his post for too long followed by appointing Slade. A cocktail that should be called ‘Disaster’.

As Better Days suggested, perhaps this omnishambles proved beneficial. As Robins was able to rebuild everything from the bottom up, and take a lot of control of the day-to-day running of the club.

Who would’ve thought we’d be a Championship side 3 seasons after that?

Last edited:

CanuckSkyBlue

I got to see Joe Cole play for Coventry... he’s alright in my book just for that! He did panic buy to the max and left us up shit creek.

was glad when he left

D

Deleted member 2477

He may well be a nice bloke but he did leave us right in the shit with people like Jamie Sterry Andre Wright and Daniel fucking Agyei. Worst squad in living memory he cobbled together after thinking he could get proven championship players in league 1
He also gave us a great 9 months of a team playing well and didnt take a penny out the club when he left even though he could of unlike previous managers

Saddlebrains

He also gave us a great 9 months of a team playing well and didnt take a penny out the club when he left even though he could of unlike previous managers

If we're judging past managers on a decent few months then thats a pretty low bar to set.

May aswell start a thread on the great Micky Adams and the 6 month run we went on with Dennis Wise in midfield that got us to 8th in the Championship

Users who are viewing this thread