Tommy Robinson (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Nurses, the police, armed forces, teachers, fire fighters ... anyone else deserving of a payrise whilst at the same time promoting immigration. Where is this magic money tree?

I don't know where it is but I do know the government shook it and enough fell off to give the DUP a billion pound bung and to award themselves a pay rise.

rob9872

I don't know where it is but I do know the government shook it and enough fell off to give the DUP a billion pound bung and to award themselves a pay rise.
£80k for the 650 people who run our Government really isn't a lot for the responsibility shouldered for it. People in every private business all over the country earning more than that.
The billion pound for the DUP is a bit of a misnomer too. Sure it was made available for them and yes to help sway on Government decisions, but this isn't being wasted as often suggested, but is instead going to schools, hospitals and infrastructure within Northern Ireland.

chiefdave

£80k for the 650 people who run our Government really isn't a lot for the responsibility shouldered for it. People in every private business all over the country earning more than that.
The billion pound for the DUP is a bit of a misnomer too. Sure it was made available for them and yes to help sway on Government decisions, but this isn't being wasted as often suggested, but is instead going to schools, hospitals and infrastructure within Northern Ireland.
And nurses who work at the NHS can earn more elsewhere, same applies everywhere yet MPs consistently award themselves above inflation pay rises while saying there is no money for anyone else.

What the money has been used for in Northern Ireland is largely irrelevant. It was money that wasn't budgeted but was suddenly available despite being in austerity measures when May needed to bribe them to side with her.

clint van damme

That's an incredibly subservient attitude.
The independent body who recommended MPs pay rise also recommended a rise for fire fighters, (they may have recommended one for other key public service workers), MPs took the recommendation to give themselves a rise but ignored the others.
I find it amazing that anyone is OK with that.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

They're being prosecuted aren't they? It's specifically recognised by the police who the protagonists are. Where would he get the mugshots for the meme otherwise?

In some cases yes, but you know that.

We've been over it 100 times. Even the police admitted there had been a cover up.

You only have to go as far as this forum to see people trying to deflect.

rob9872

I'd give them all at least £100k each. I want the best people seeing being an MP as a career and attracting the best brains, particularly where finances and welfare are concerned. The only way to get them to Westminster rather than the City is to pay the market rate. It's admirable that some choose to do it as their calling in life or want to serve the public, but for most it will be a career and in the trillions of public spending they control, it's a small price to pay. I wasn't even concerned about fiddling expenses (from either side of the house). It goes on in private circles too and again if those little fiddles mean we get the best of the best, then I'd happily turn a blind eye to it.

Do I think the emergency services and those who protect us deserve more too? Of course I do, but the budget only stretches so far and people also complain about higher taxes. We cant have it both ways and if a bigger pot is required, then we can only generate that through taxation. If it went direct, I'd happily pay another 1p in income tax, but then others would use that to petty point-score too.

chiefdave

I'd give them all at least £100k each. I want the best people seeing being an MP as a career
IMO this is exactly what has caused the deterioration in the standard of MPs. Its is no longer people representing an area they have lived and worked in who want to make a difference, parliament is full of people who view it as a career and an easy way to be very well paid.

Grendel

IMO this is exactly what has caused the deterioration in the standard of MPs. Its is no longer people representing an area they have lived and worked in who want to make a difference, parliament is full of people who view it as a career and an easy way to be very well paid.

It isn't that well paid - thats why you get a large swell of people with other interests

rob9872

You can't just say "I want to be an MP". You have to go through a lot of candidate processes and serve locally in many ways before it gets to that stage and often are brains that could successfully earn a decent sum in another chosen profession. There will always be bad apples as in all walks of life, but I see that role as the pinnacle of public service having worked an underpaid apprenticeship.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd give them all at least £100k each. I want the best people seeing being an MP as a career and attracting the best brains, particularly where finances and welfare are concerned. The only way to get them to Westminster rather than the City is to pay the market rate. It's admirable that some choose to do it as their calling in life or want to serve the public, but for most it will be a career and in the trillions of public spending they control, it's a small price to pay. I wasn't even concerned about fiddling expenses (from either side of the house). It goes on in private circles too and again if those little fiddles mean we get the best of the best, then I'd happily turn a blind eye to it.

Do I think the emergency services and those who protect us deserve more too? Of course I do, but the budget only stretches so far and people also complain about higher taxes. We cant have it both ways and if a bigger pot is required, then we can only generate that through taxation. If it went direct, I'd happily pay another 1p in income tax, but then others would use that to petty point-score too.

Of course everyone wants the best people to be in control of government and they should be well paid for it, but upping the wage isn't really going to matter. For most it's an ego trip and about the prestige.

If people are going to be convinced by the money, then they're clearly not in it for the right reasons. It might make them slightly less prone to bribery and corruption (or more likely just up the price of it).

Also if they're the best of the best they'll know that a political career can end in one night at the ballot box so they'll be sure to be making contingency plans. And those plans will be getting well-paid jobs in industry and the private sector. How do they get those jobs? By being sweet to the big corporations and turning a blind eye to tax avoidance and making legislation will loopholes.

Even those that go into it with the best of intentions often end up just trying to get as much out of it while they can once they realise how little influence they have, after years of towing the party line/activism etc to get nominated and selected. More money won't get the best of the best - the parties will still be putting forward those who they feel they can best control and will follow party orders.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's an incredibly subservient attitude.
The independent body who recommended MPs pay rise also recommended a rise for fire fighters, (they may have recommended one for other key public service workers), MPs took the recommendation to give themselves a rise but ignored the others.
I find it amazing that anyone is OK with that.

I think for me it should be written into law that MP's can only get a pay increase that matches the lowest given to other public sector workers (and certainly front line workers like fire, ambulance, nurses, police officers etc. I find it amazing that in an small island nation with a lot of coastline in proportion to landmass we don't have coastguard considered an emergency service contributed to by the state). Trouble is they'd find a loophole around it by massively increasing other forms of remuneration, like expenses.

I'd also make it so that each constituency had a government owned property that the MP had to use (like an embassy) rather than them being able to buy and flip second houses. Would also force them to live within the area they represent and so be more in tune with local people and needs and keep the money in the public hands rather than into MP's private pockets.

CovInEssex

The attorney general has today re-charged Tommy Robinson on a charge of contempt of court, the same charge which saw him become the first journalist in British history to serve jail time for.

The same charge which journalists from all over the media spectrum broke that very same day - naming the suspects in a child grooming case.

Does he go down for it? Again? I don't believe he should, but I do believe he will.

CovInEssex

That can't be true as his reason for having to name them was a big conspiracy to cover it all up despite them having being named in the media prior to the media blackout being put in place.

I'll quote you again when the court papers are knocking about, Dave

clint van damme

The attorney general has today re-charged Tommy Robinson on a charge of contempt of court, the same charge which saw him become the first journalist in British history to serve jail time for.

The same charge which journalists from all over the media spectrum broke that very same day - naming the suspects in a child grooming case.

Does he go down for it? Again? I don't believe he should, but I do believe he will.
Hahaha!! You think he's a journalist!!

Astute

How has activist changed to journalist?

Can't find anything about journalist here

Tommy Robinson (activist) - Wikipedia

skybluetony176

How could journalist all over the median spectrum broke it that day? Isn’t Stephen supposed to have been covering a story because the press wasn’t? Maybe he was “reporting” fake news when he claimed that was the case.

shmmeee

Brilliant quanittative easing and hyper inflation that'll fix things :)

That escalated quickly.

Where do you think money comes from? Do you think we mine tenners out the ground?

We have a magic money tree. It has the same limitations as an actual magic money tree (can’t use it too much).

I bet you think national debt is like a credit card too.

Last edited:

Westendlad

He will yeah.......Just so not to upset the minority.....

rob9872

That escalated quickly.

Where do you think money comes from? Do you think we mine tenners out the ground?

We have a magic money tree. It has the same limitations as an actual magic money tree (can’t use it too much).

Thanks for the GCSE Economics lesson

Sky Blue Pete

Easy!!!!!!?????

Grendel

That escalated quickly.

Food inflation is 20% in one year - cough cough

Users who are viewing this thread