Tom Flanagan (1 Viewer)

Garryb80

Look at Sunderland fans reactions. They say hes shit. As walsall did with baka. The people that watch him every week can wait to see the back of him in the league below us ffs.

No one on here seems particularly enthused either. I suppose you think Kastaneer is still going to turn into Messi n all
Swindon fans said dabo was shit, donny fans said marosi was so whats your point. You have decided that Sunderland fans, well known for over the top reactions, know best and you can't judge anyone for yourself by actually watching them. To use your own words I'll watch him myself to make an opinion on him rather than write him off like you as clearly you rely on others to decide for you.

TomRad85

I doubt he’s coming but he’s played 60 championship games his stats are pretty good so it’s odd people are negative about it
Agree. It may not be the most exciting signing, but...
A. He has Championship experience without being old.
B. We're going to need some depth in the squad with the step up.
C. Sunderland had a good defensive record so he can't be that awful.
If its a free I really don't see the problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

larry_david

The St Andrews game we must remember Sunderland played us off the park. It was a grinding out 1-0 champions performance from cov but on another day they'd had won. From what I remember of him he looked decent enough, big guy, strong and quick.

Whether we sign him or not let's not let a childish rivally with Sunderland mean that we auto judge him as being shite. Stealing good players from league 1 to compete in the championship is not aa bad tactic.

Also shows our stock is on the rise. Only a year ago two of our players fucked off for them thinking they were bettering themselves

skybluesam66

The St Andrews game we must remember Sunderland played us off the park. It was a grinding out 1-0 champions performance from cov but on another day they'd had won. From what I remember of him he looked decent enough, big guy, strong and quick.

Whether we sign him or not let's not let a childish rivally with Sunderland mean that we auto judge him as being shite. Stealing good players from league 1 to compete in the championship is not aa bad tactic.

Also shows our stock is on the rise. Only a year ago two of our players fucked off for them thinking they were bettering themselves
Played us off the park ? we both had our spells in the game, but we certainly weren't played off the park

Ccfcisparks

Big and strong? You surely weren’t looking at Flanagan then. He’s about 12 stone wet through.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I’m amazed how many people watch players from other teams and remember performances in such detail

This. So many experts saying how shit he is. If he didn’t play for Sunderland no one would care. I don’t notice opposition players much, usually cuz I don’t care, but actively said after the game at St Andrews I quite liked the look of him, albeit he missed a chance he should have scored. Someone’s said he wouldn’t suit our style of play. He was handy on the ball at Stans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve cooper

cooperskyblue

We didn't have a single spell. We scored after a min and then sat back.
Completely disagree, Godden should have scored in 2nd half and Allen had a chance.

Funnily enough their best chance was in 1st half a free kick or cross back post fell to Flanagan and he blazed it over when he should have scored or atleast hit the target.

I remember him winning quite a few headers and for some reason we had McCallum marking him. Cant recall what he was like with the ball at his feet.

Think you have Lways got to take what opposition fans with a pinch of salt. Sometimes appraisals are true (Allen, Godden, Walsh, O'hare, McFadz, Rose, Kastaneer, Hiwula) where there performances for us mirror the feedback they got as they left their former clubs but also you have occasions where players either do better or worse than what other fans said. Baka was poor to start and Walsall fans were laughing but he scored some important goals, they are in L2 he is a championship player and I wonder who is laughing now. Probably Baka.

In regards to Flanagan we have to trust Robins. I think the recruitment since he returned and 2 promotions should give him our trust that he might know a little bit about what he is doing.

Terry_dactyl

Agree. It may not be the most exciting signing, but...
A. He has Championship experience without being old.
B. We're going to need some depth in the squad with the step up.
C. Sunderland had a good defensive record so he can't be that awful.
If its a free I really don't see the problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
All of the above. I also think it says something that another, established, championship side are after him. And as a side we lack height!

SkyblueTexan

If the rumors about Flanagan are true, I think it probably has something to do with his Burton connection (when he, Fadz and Allen played in the Championship). Plus he's likely to be cheap and looked at being a squad player to give us some depth. Supposedly he can play midfield and defence and so may be a versatile option. However, I'll admit he didn't look great the few times I've seen him and the reason I remember this (for those who wonder why I can recollect this) is because his performances stood out to me for the wrong reasons (i.e. his glaring misses in front of our goal at St. Andrews in March, his woeful defending in the 5-4 win at SOL where he let the ball slip through his legs and allowed Chaplin to score the winner).

clint van damme

did they fuck!!

JimmyHillsbeard

Look if he comes we should get behind him.

I’ve seen him play against us twice. The first at the SoL when he had a total ‘mare. In the Netflix docu he admits to being abused in the street by Sunderland fans because of that game.
In the second I thought he had a decent game defensively but missed two golden opportunities to equalise from set plays.

Of course neither appearance could be representative but Sunderland fans are hardly setting up a “Flan must stay” campaign and on that evidence I’m surprised that we are after him

fernandopartridge

He's not got a very good write up on the Sunderland forum, some saying he's lightweight, passing atrocious etc. Then again a lot of it sounds like we do when losing a player.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Look at Sunderland fans reactions. They say hes shit. As walsall did with baka. The people that watch him every week can wait to see the back of him in the league below us ffs.

No one on here seems particularly enthused either. I suppose you think Kastaneer is still going to turn into Messi n all

For all the talk of people in the stands opinions etc and they're not experts, on the whole getting the consensus of the fans of previous clubs isn't that bad a way of judging a players ability/attitude etc. Certainly more trustworthy than a few minutes of heavily edited highlights on YouTube.

larry_david

The anti Sunderland bias in here is incredible. When Sunderland scored that offside equaliser everyone on here said it it was coming. I know my gut feeling straight away, other than him looking 500 yards offside was, we're in danger of losing this now.

Godden had a great chance to finish it but last 5 mins and it was a huge 3 points, but let's not let our hatred of Sunderland cloud the fact that was a fucking horrible game to watch

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Completely disagree, Godden should have scored in 2nd half and Allen had a chance.

Funnily enough their best chance was in 1st half a free kick or cross back post fell to Flanagan and he blazed it over when he should have scored or atleast hit the target.

I remember him winning quite a few headers and for some reason we had McCallum marking him. Cant recall what he was like with the ball at his feet.

Think you have Lways got to take what opposition fans with a pinch of salt. Sometimes appraisals are true (Allen, Godden, Walsh, O'hare, McFadz, Rose, Kastaneer, Hiwula) where there performances for us mirror the feedback they got as they left their former clubs but also you have occasions where players either do better or worse than what other fans said. Baka was poor to start and Walsall fans were laughing but he scored some important goals, they are in L2 he is a championship player and I wonder who is laughing now. Probably Baka.

In regards to Flanagan we have to trust Robins. I think the recruitment since he returned and 2 promotions should give him our trust that he might know a little bit about what he is doing.

The consensus I seem to remember from Walsall fans was that he was a nice bloke but didn't use his height and strength anywhere near as effectively as he could and didn't score enough goals by getting into scoring positions. As such they felt he was easily replaceable and that if the rumoured fee of the time (c£300k) was true they'd done us over. I don't think that's that far from the assessment most Cov fans would have of Baka.

Saddlebrains

Just a quick briwse of Sunderland thoughts on him. Absolutely glowing reviews....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200627-143936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-143936_Chrome.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20200627-143917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-143917_Chrome.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 72

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If the rumors about Flanagan are true, I think it probably has something to do with his Burton connection (when he, Fadz and Allen played in the Championship). Plus he's likely to be cheap and looked at being a squad player to give us some depth. Supposedly he can play midfield and defence and so may be a versatile option. However, I'll admit he didn't look great the few times I've seen him and the reason I remember this (for those who wonder why I can recollect this) is because his performances stood out to me for the wrong reasons (i.e. his glaring misses in front of our goal at St. Andrews in March, his woeful defending in the 5-4 win at SOL where he let the ball slip through his legs and allowed Chaplin to score the winner).

Why are we assuming he'll be cheap? Sunderland had a massive budget compared to the rest of the league last year. I doubt he's a high earner there compared to some from the PL/Championship but I imagine it's a decent enough amount to be noticeable in our budget. Plus he's at his 'prime' earning age so won't be willing to just play for a pittance.

I feel we've got more important positions to fill before we consider signing the likes of Flanagan to most likely be a back-up.

Saddlebrains

I don’t get what you’re trying to prove? Huddersfield and Scunthorpe would say Robins is a terrible manager

Im trying to prove that signing someone who was dog shit and ridiculed in league 1, even as back up for a championship campaign is strange and not a good use of our reportedly limited resources.

Especially with Drysdale and Pask waiting in the wings

SkyblueTexan

Why are we assuming he'll be cheap? Sunderland had a massive budget compared to the rest of the league last year. I doubt he's a high earner there compared to some from the PL/Championship but I imagine it's a decent enough amount to be noticeable in our budget. Plus he's at his 'prime' earning age so won't be willing to just play for a pittance.

I feel we've got more important positions to fill before we consider signing the likes of Flanagan to most likely be a back-up.

I agree we have more important positions to fill and honestly hope these rumours of our so-called interest in Flanagan are just that - rumours. The assumption that he may be cheap was because he is out of contract. But if he is shopping around for a big payday, I hope we're not still interested in his services and think we could do better.

Adge

If the rumours are true and it does come to fruition, I will judge him on his performances on the pitch and not some bitter ex club bias and experts who have seen him play against our team on a 2 or 3 game basis when we were on the ascendancy. On that basis, all defenders of opposing teams who we played after Christmas are/were crap. You heard it here first......

ccfcchris

If the rumours are true and it does come to fruition, I will judge him on his performances on the pitch and not some bitter ex club bias and experts who have seen him play against our team on a 2 or 3 game basis when we were on the ascendancy. On that basis, all defenders of opposing teams who we played after Christmas are/were crap. You heard it here first......
Far too much common sense. :happy:

fatso

I think we are just looking for cheap cover, we are paying over 1million for a foreign midfielder, so I wouldn't be suprised if Rose has already been earmarked for sale, and rumour of a injury to Dabbo, means it makes sence to bring in a couple of cheap squad defenders with decent experience.

Grendel

Im trying to prove that signing someone who was dog shit and ridiculed in league 1, even as back up for a championship campaign is strange and not a good use of our reportedly limited resources.

Some of our fans think Max Biamou would command half a million in the transfer market and Conor Chaplin wasn’t good enough

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Neither of which have played more than 15 senior games between them. Pask is coming off 2 long term injuries.

at least Flanagan Has played and survived in the championship, and has also played international football

Il Pirata

Swindon fans said dabo was shit, donny fans said marosi was so whats your point. You have decided that Sunderland fans, well known for over the top reactions, know best and you can't judge anyone for yourself by actually watching them. To use your own words I'll watch him myself to make an opinion on him rather than write him off like you as clearly you rely on others to decide for you.
A manager like Mark Robins (and his coaching team) improves players, I have faith in their choices.

TTG

It's about bloody time somebody had the balls to put that out there, well done sir!
Thanks, I contemplated for days, if not weeks, if the people of sbt were ready, months were spent writing, proofing, checking every last detail - and the result, phenomenal!

hamil99

Facebook User
Thanks, I contemplated for days, if not weeks, if the people of sbt were ready, months were spent writing, proofing, checking every last detail - and the result, phenomenal!

The principles you put forward have changed my life, I am truly reborn.

Reactions: TTG

Users who are viewing this thread