Todays games (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Budget aside, I actually don't think the gap in quality of football in the Championship compared to League One has been that large this year, bar 3-4 teams.

Think that's what's been most frustrating about the position we're in at the moment, as we'd be a lot safer without the individual errors in both boxes

Those individual errors are the gap.

• Sad
Reactions: AOM

shmmeee

No, I'd say the gap is extent of the punishment for errors.

Potato potahto, we have to give the chances away for them to be capitalised on, equally we miss chances we are given.

You can get away with it in L1, you can’t here. Hence thats the gap: players consistently not giving chances away and taking the ones they get. As opposed to a massive overall skill level difference.

clint van damme

Because fans are clearly still under the belief that we can be a Championship club, if the club can't fund that they should be honest about it. We might stay up this season, but if we keep having the lowest budget in the league we won't for long.

How will we gradually improve the squad? That would require a higher budget.

Yes, the owners should say “we can’t afford to take this club beyond League One, every day above that is a bonus”. If that is in fact the case.

Boddy was honest about future spending in his interview last week to be fair to him.
He said we (and other clubs), are going to be paying for this season for the next few years.

Building a decent Championship side is going to be a slow process.

NortonSkyBlue

The owners need to come clean about whether we can actually afford to be in this league or not and set expectations appropriately.
Let’s go through this....no home ground in our city, some fans boycotting, some reluctant to travel, COVID-19, promotion as champions, playing against bigger and more established clubs with foundations much firmer than ours....let alone budgets.
Where are your expectations exactly? Now it is really easy to say set expectations appropriately but I suggest we all should have had an inkling we might be in this situation, myself included.
I suspect winning the league last season wasn’t really on the agenda as number one priority in their thinking but we did it. Staying up this season is probably was their number one priority.

NortonSkyBlue

There were actually some on here who genuinely thought we would get into the play-offs this season.
With hindsight my optimism was misplaced. I never thought we would be in the play offs but thought we would be upper mid table and with a fair wind it would be like our first season in league one. The way we played against Bristol City in game was an indicator of the season in some ways and there was a confidence that we would learn some lessons and progress. Injuries and some players out of their depth and much stronger opponents have scuppered that and hopefully Barnsley and Luton have given us a template on how to approach the second season with some confidence.
Much will depend on our getting in some better players and the the willingness of our rivals to dig deep in their pockets. Next season will be a rebooting for many and the end of the gravy train for others.

Sky Blue Pete

With hindsight my optimism was misplaced. I never thought we would be in the play offs but thought we would be upper mid table and with a fair wind it would be like our first season in league one. The way we played against Bristol City in game was an indicator of the season in some ways and there was a confidence that we would learn some lessons and progress. Injuries and some players out of their depth and much stronger opponents have scuppered that and hopefully Barnsley and Luton have given us a template on how to approach the second season with some confidence.
Much will depend on our getting in some better players and the the willingness of our rivals to dig deep in their pockets. Next season will be a rebooting for many and the end of the gravy train for others.
Yep mid table budget last season and one of the lowest If not lowest this season. Slightly higher budget next season if we stay up but that being the case we have to do other things much better such as recruitment.

shmmeee

Let’s go through this....no home ground in our city, some fans boycotting, some reluctant to travel, COVID-19, promotion as champions, playing against bigger and more established clubs with foundations much firmer than ours....let alone budgets.
Where are your expectations exactly? Now it is really easy to say set expectations appropriately but I suggest we all should have had an inkling we might be in this situation, myself included.
I suspect winning the league last season wasn’t really on the agenda as number one priority in their thinking but we did it. Staying up this season is probably was their number one priority.

Maybe read the thread and see what I said. None of this is relevant.

skyblueeyesrevisited

Boddy was honest about future spending in his interview last week to be fair to him.
He said we (and other clubs), are going to be paying for this season for the next few years.

Building a decent Championship side is going to be a slow process.
So what will be completed first? Building a team capable of competing with the top teams in the Championship or building a new stadium?

Sky Blue Pete

Maybe read the thread and see what I said. None of this is relevant.
I think the costs have surprised the club and that was without covid. Boddy being very clear that we will be paying for this season for years to come and that maybe other clubs will just write off £10m and move on. I get the impression that promotion came a season early and wages costs and availability of good players wasn’t huge. You’ve got to think with the number of out of contract players and Covid effect on overall funds will mean we can improve if we stay up

shmmeee

I think the costs have surprised the club and that was without covid. Boddy being very clear that we will be paying for this season for years to come and that maybe other clubs will just write off £10m and move on. I get the impression that promotion came a season early and wages costs and availability of good players wasn’t huge. You’ve got to think with the number of out of contract players and Covid effect on overall funds will mean we can improve if we stay up

I don’t think that. I think we’ll be the lowest budget next season despite having mid table crowds. Time will tell I guess.

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t think that. I think we’ll be the lowest budget next season despite having mid table crowds. Time will tell I guess.
Oh I agree with that. I clearly didn’t say what I wanted to. The increase for wages won’t be huge. Suppose if 100% crowds are possible from week 1 and we average 22000 rather than 17000 then we may increase the budget accordingly

Evo1883

Toney scored for Brentford v forest... Goal 28 this season, a win would see us level on points with forest

Evo1883

Budget aside, I actually don't think the gap in quality of football in the Championship compared to League One has been that large this year, bar 3-4 teams.

Think that's what's been most frustrating about the position we're in at the moment, as we'd be a lot safer without the individual errors in both boxes
The gap is massive... It's why Wycombe are bottom, Rotherham are 3rd from bottom and we are 5th from bottom... And we only lost 3 all last season

The pace of the game, the technical ability and the way teams punish you being the main difference

Evo1883

A win would be massive, like every week tbh... Although today it would potentially take us above Derby and level with forest

Evo1883

My old man said something about individual errors the other week that 20 odd goals we've conceded are through individual errors

Brighton Sky Blue

My old man said something about individual errors the other week that 20 odd goals we've conceded are through individual errors

As I said the other day I can’t remember conceding an objectively decent goal, perhaps the screamer free kick Reading got and Dan Gosling’s screamer for Bournemouth but not many others.

Evo1883

As I said the other day I can’t remember conceding an objectively decent goal, perhaps the screamer free kick Reading got and Dan Gosling’s screamer for Bournemouth but not many others.
I know technically every goal conceded is from an individual error somewhere.. I think ours are glaring though

You sit back and think wtf was that

Users who are viewing this thread