Thread for the Oldies (1 Viewer)

oscillatewildly

Here's a few of yous hanging around the entrance to Willenhall Precinct...
LmaMmKO.jpg
This is how I vividly remember the precinct 1970's into the 1980's.
My Grandparents co owned and ran the chippy late 1950's to early 1960's - I think it was somewhere on the right of the pic.
Around this time (1950's - early '60's) my Mum and her sister would have lived (with their parents) in a flat just above where those lads are standing.

Irish Sky Blue

Here's a few of yous hanging around the entrance to Willenhall Precinct...
Good to see the old kiosk again. I used to love Black Jack sweets and would stop there if my mum had given me any pennies on the way to school at Corpus Christie to buy them.
I also remember the cake shop just down the slope behind those lads.There were always wasps flying about in the shop window.

Kneeza

Judging by the photo quality and clothing worn, it looks to be early to mid 70's, Dutch.
I concur.
It looks pretty much as I remember it then. I had the displeasure of having to walk through it a couple of months ago, and what a shithole it has become.
I notice the Guards ad, which also dates it. Never a very popular brand, and not one I ever smoked (and I smoked many back then).

Kneeza

Going on from Dutchman's picture, old aerial view of Riley Square 1974..........
View attachment 23394
The surgery of Drs Keenan, Bacon, and Baird at the bottom right (top of Hall Green Rd). That was 'our' surgery back then, and one of them, can't remember which one, was the CCFC GP at the time.
It also shows the new surgery to the left. A different practice entirely.
I used to spend a lot of time at Dick Shepherd's Cycles and the nearby library (and not so pleasurably at Mokrzycki's dentists), all within a few steps of each other.
Gladding's and Storer's cake shops were pretty good too!

RedSalmon

The surgery of Drs Keenan, Bacon, and Baird at the bottom right (top of Hall Green Rd). That was 'our' surgery back then, and one of them, can't remember which one, was the CCFC GP at the time.
I used to spend a lot of time at Dick Shepherd's Cycles and the nearby library (and not so pleasurably at Mokrzycki's dentists), all within a few steps of each other.

I remember Gladdings, they had a few bread shops around Coventry. Fantastic batches!!

Sbarcher

Had lunch at a pub near Winchester yesterday and had Black Forest Gateau for dessert. Got me thinking of years gone by when there was little choice for eating out.
Our regular was the Berni Inn in Leamington just off the top of the Parade.
Starter - Prawn Cocktail or Fruit Juice (fruit juice!!!!)
Main - Steak or Scampi/Chicken in the Basket
Dessert - Black Forest or Ice Cream
Washed down with a pint of Red Barrel.
Hmmmmm, lovely!

Kneeza

Had lunch at a pub near Winchester yesterday and had Black Forest Gateau for dessert. Got me thinking of years gone by when there was little choice for eating out.
Our regular was the Berni Inn in Leamington just off the top of the Parade.
Starter - Prawn Cocktail or Fruit Juice (fruit juice!!!!)
Main - Steak or Scampi/Chicken in the Basket
Dessert - Black Forest or Ice Cream
Washed down with a pint of Red Barrel.
Hmmmmm, lovely!
Storer's at Bell Green sold what they called Black Forest Gateau. It really wasn't as it was pretty much 99% cream with a bit of chocolate and cherries, but it was a real treat nonetheless.
On the subject of pub grub in a basket. We used to regularly eat at the Black Horse at Marton. Scampi, or Chicken, or Marton Sausage and chips in a basket. The sausage were their own recipe, and really good. I recall them featuring on Midlands telly!
For a steak, though, it was always either the Boat at Birdingbury Wharf, or the Captain's Table, Hillfields.

olderskyblue

The doctors were Freeman, Macnamara and Laird.

fernandopartridge

The dentist was facing onto Roseberry Ave wasn't it? I had 6 teeth taken out there as a kid

olderskyblue

They were - later. Bacon, Baird and Keenan were there in the late fifties and into the sixties.
Ah, before my time then? Although, mine were the 3 I saw in my youth (late 50’s onwards)

olderskyblue

Although I recall the name, I think I'd left by then, or maybe he was a partner at the time. My torturer was definitely Mokrzycki though.
Seems like being a butcher was a prerequisite for that dentist then :LOL:

NortonSkyBlue

I used to get my crew cut in Sams barbers in Bell Green in the late sixties whilst my mum shopped at Sainsbury’s, got my subbuteo teams in Dick Shepherds and had my pop and crisps in Bell Green club, my dad and his mates had their beers and smokes and us kids just played.
My doctor was Bellamy on Henley Road and can remember getting my teeth taken out at the dentist a few doors along under gas which was an amazing high.
Alpine lorry on a Friday with pineapple soda and dandelion and burdock, the egg round, the coal man, the Sherry barrel at the off licence, bring your own bottle.
Having a season ticket in the new West Stand, seeing the donkey kick goal from above, getting my sky blue jersey from Davies in Gosford Green.

Otis

I used to get my crew cut in Sams barbers in Bell Green in the late sixties whilst my mum shopped at Sainsbury’s, got my subbuteo teams in Dick Shepherds and had my pop and crisps in Bell Green club, my dad and his mates had their beers and smokes and us kids just played.
My doctor was Bellamy on Henley Road and can remember getting my teeth taken out at the dentist a few doors along under gas which was an amazing high.
Alpine lorry on a Friday with pineapple soda and dandelion and burdock, the egg round, the coal man, the Sherry barrel at the off licence, bring your own bottle.
Having a season ticket in the new West Stand, seeing the donkey kick goal from above, getting my sky blue jersey from Davies in Gosford Green.
I got my Chopper bike from Dick Shepherd's. 😁

olderskyblue

Same, haircut at Sam’s, Bell Green club (my grandad was on the committee) dick shepherds for bike stuff, and used to knock about in the cafe on the pin ball machines (they weren’t pin ball, can’t recall the name. used to have to try to get 5 balls in a line for max wins). Jones’s for toy stuff as well, and then the paper shop at the top for the latest x-men comics :LOL:

Flying Fokker

Had outside toilet for several years in Cov, remember being sent to the shop for 20 Capstan Full Strength for my nan when she was down from Scotland, now they were coffin fillers, also remember the 3 day week, candles instead of electricity, and being sent up to the bread shop to queue for a loaf, you were only allowed one each time you went, oh the good old days
Me too. Alol of them. Park Drive, green shield stamps, jubblys, sherbet fountains, liquorice imps, bubble gum, bazookas, cap guns, marbles, cornflake toys, open back buses, fireworks (bangers), snake belts, playing out in school clothes, go-carts, putting pennies on railways, building camps and dams, long summer holidays, Brentford nylons, bbc 1 bbc2 and ATV. TV night close down, candles, power cuts, petrol going up to £1 per gallon.

dutchman

Anyone remember the newsstand/telephone kiosks/information booth outside Marks & Spencer before a certain hideous monstrosity blacked out the skyline? To be honest I didn't until I found this picture.
lSE7Ngr.jpg

This itself was pretty-much an afterthought having been added in1962. Prior to that it was possible to see almost all the way from Smithford Way to Shelton Square.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread