Thread for the Oldies (3 Viewers)

Otis

I am a bit younger than some on here, turning 60 next week. The 1st house I remember was in Stoke Aldermoor, we had no TV, can't remember how my mum washed clothes but she had a portable mangle in the kitchen and my dad had a scooter to get to work at Massey Fergusons. We moved to Rugby in 67 and my dad got his 1st car, we got a black and white TV, I think my mum got a twin tub washing machine but didn't have a phone. At school we took it in turns to be milk monitor and at the end of the day if any were left over we could drink the warm milk. We joined the Tufty club to learn about road safety.
We only had a black and white TV til right into the mid 70's.

Always makes me chuckle, because I remember going out on Bonfire Night while my mum and dad sat at home with the curtains closed and when I came back, there they were, watching a fireworks display on the black and white TV.

😂

They only needed to open the curtains to get everything in full, glorious technicolour.

Sbarcher

As kids we used to hunt around for glass bottles and take them back to the offie for 1d refund.
I have a vague recollection that our first telly had a pay meter on the side.
Pies at HR with more grissle than meat.
Dad who worked down the pit 6 days a week coming in at 2pm when the pubs closed on a Sunday, straight to bed then up at teatime for his Sunday dinner.
In my 20's having to join a social club in Wales to get a pint on a Sunday.
Hanging around Leamington with mates on a Saturday after the pubs closed at 2-30 and re-opeing at 6.

Sbarcher

It's good to remember these things before dementia sets in........

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Taking your empty glass bottles back to the Corona delivery van and getting a couple of pennies back.
Playing kerby in the street before cars completely took over.
Putting a couple of pegs and playing cards on the rear forks of your bike which caught on the spokes to make a very loud noise.
How bloody exciting 😁

Last edited:

skybluesam66

chopper bikes/ all your shopping from the local shop/ putting together an 11 v 11 football match at 30 minutes notice/ outdoor at the local/ going with your mum and dad to the pub and taking a bottle of corona and crisps with you/ tank tops

jimmyhillsfanclub

I still get my milk delivered...costs a fucking bomb like...but it's fresh, local, less money in tescos till and less plastic being bundled up and sent to Sri Lanka for "recycling"

wingy

We had one just like that (the dolly - nan used it, but didn't look like that). It was eventually replaced with a Rolls Rapide twin-tub. Luxury!
My dad wasn't best pleased with John Rolls .
Or Indesit about a decade later tbf.

wingy

As kids we used to hunt around for glass bottles and take them back to the offie for 1d refund.
I have a vague recollection that our first telly had a pay meter on the side.
Pies at HR with more grissle than meat.
Dad who worked down the pit 6 days a week coming in at 2pm when the pubs closed on a Sunday, straight to bed then up at teatime for his Sunday dinner.
In my 20's having to join a social club in Wales to get a pint on a Sunday.
Hanging around Leamington with mates on a Saturday after the pubs closed at 2-30 and re-opeing at 6.
Yes the pay as you go tell's via Collis a local rent buy as you go company.
Struggling to remember if it was both colour and had the three channel's as well, around 67 I think.
We had a wheeze that overid the basic remote for sound and channel control adjustment.
Whoever the clecerclogs happened be with their finger on the buttons were able to be superceded by a few copper coin's being rattled around a pyrex smoked glass coffee cup which would send it haywire.
Operated through sonic wave's I guess.

BodicoteSkyBlue

When I was a kid we had the Pink Parrafin man doing deliveries on my street.
We had Tom Pape mobile shop, he would split a pack of civvies, so sometimes if my mum was skint I’d be sent out to the van to buy just 2 or 3 fags.
I can also remember hiding behind the sofa when the rent man came calling.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

How good was a milk man and pop man. Early days recycling
Yes absolutely . The older generation get the blame for causing global warming but we also walked bloody miles to school, not driven, got the bus to town, bought fresh fruit and veg free of plastic that was simply poured into an old shopping bag that was reused for years and years, kept the leftovers from Sunday dinner and had them during the week.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I still get my milk delivered...costs a fucking bomb like...but it's fresh, local, less money in tescos till and less plastic being bundled up and sent to Sri Lanka for "recycling"
I remember in the depths of winter the milk on the doorstep would freeze.
Sometimes the tops would be punctured by birds having a drink before we did !

skybluejelly

We went from a three storey house in Islington to a rental in rugby when my parents divorced in the early seventies , had a tin bath , outside toilet ( with a stolen paraffin roadworks lamp ) to stop it freezing , a scrubbing board and mangle for washing , hand me down clothes ( even worse when you are the youngest ) , most dinners were offal ( and awful ) ,we also had a Humber sceptre with a starting handle ,

But honestly wouldn’t change any of it

dutchman

Far Gosford Street in 1967:

39gNzKD.png

Brighton Sky Blue

If anyone has photos of the newsagents that stood where is currently Johal News on Radford Road, would be appreciated as it was owned by my great grandparents for the best part of 50 years up to the 70s. Plenty on that side of the family also went in to that line of business (one does I think still carry the family name).

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Having a toilet in the back garden would have been a luxury We had to cross the field in middle of the night or use a pot needless to say which 1 chose.Will say we moved into a house in 52 (first home squatted in an old Nissen hut at Stretton) i'd ran up stairs not to use it just to flush it THAT was luxury.

Kneeza

Having a toilet in the back garden would have been a luxury We had to cross the field in middle of the night or use a pot needless to say which 1 chose.Will say we moved into a house in 52 (first home squatted in an old Nissen hut at Stretton) i'd ran up stairs not to use it just to flush it THAT was luxury.
Often wondered. Where exactly was the Camp?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Far Gosford Street in 1967:

39gNzKD.png
Not wishing to be picky, Dutch, but isn't that mostly Gosford Street. Far Gosford St doesn't start until Vecqueray Street, surely? (That's on the right just past the tall chimney.) ;)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Often wondered. Where exactly was the Camp?
Corner of Plott Lane and School Lane.Housing estate there now.From memory think it was used as a POW just before we squatted,again not certain but i think our milkman at the time (Heinz) my have been 1 of the last residents before us.Time plays tricks with the brain.

Last edited:

dutchman

Not wishing to be picky, Dutch, but isn't that mostly Gosford Street. Far Gosford St doesn't start until Vecqueray Street, surely? (That's on the right just past the tall chimney.) ;)
No, you're mistaken Houch. Far Gosford Street begins where the river passes under the road where a gate in the city wall used to be. Gosford Street ends where Astley's warehouse begins. :)

Users who are viewing this thread