Thread for the Oldies (1 Viewer)

Sbarcher

Joked about this on another thread, so thought I'd start one......
Can you remember:-
Quart bottle of milk at morning break at scholl and 1 old penny for 2 rich tea biscuits.
Bus conductors
A B C half time score boards at football
Man with the sky blue Bovril tin on his back
Cars with starting handles (they were still around!)
Hurricane lamp in the outside lavvie in the winter
Tin bath (yes, we had one)
Having to call our lady school teachers ma'am
Fishing with a split cane rod and a wicker basket to sit on........

Off you go boys.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I remember being about 4 years of age and being sent to the whitmore ( which may of had a shop at the front) to get 20 silk cut for me mum

Otis

I AM old, but it seems
Quart bottle of milk at morning break at scholl and 1 old penny for 2 rich tea biscuits.
Bus conductors

Off you go boys.
I AM old, but it seems like you were born in the 1860's judging by that. Hurricane lamps and outdoor toilets? 😳

Sbarcher

I AM old, but it seems
I AM old, but it seems like you were born in the 1860's judging by that. Hurricane lamps and outdoor toilets? 😳
Yes, an outside toilet and coal house at the end of the yard in a terraced house in Co Durham. Used to have to shovel away the snow to make a path. My parents moved down to the affluent Midlands when I was a nipper. We have come a long way in 60 years......

Macca1987

Had outside toilet for several years in Cov, remember being sent to the shop for 20 Capstan Full Strength for my nan when she was down from Scotland, now they were coffin fillers, also remember the 3 day week, candles instead of electricity, and being sent up to the bread shop to queue for a loaf, you were only allowed one each time you went, oh the good old days

Sbarcher

When my mum was working I'd go up to the chip shop and get 6 penn'orth of chips ( that's 6 old p - 2.5 new p) now over £2!

olderskyblue

I remember us getting our first tv. Black & white of course. I was about 6. It was rented….

my old man getting the fire going with newspaper covering it.

Carrying kettles of hot water to the bathroom when a bath was required. That’s how we got hot water then, kettles on the gas cooker.

wondering what my one present for Christmas would be

bar of chocolate on a Thursday night, my dad would get it on his way home after getting his pay packet. Only time we had chocolate.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was brought up in care so my memories would be slightly different from most, but I remember just about everything mentioned here already. I used to get a tanner (6d) for pocket money until I was 11, then it shot up to 1/6d! Thought I was minted! I used to have to save 6d a week for holidays, but then the Tanner Rush on a Saturday at either the Empire or Odeon. Great days!
Drawing the fire.png

It’sabatch87

I was milk monitor at my infants Willenhall wood.
Watch out watch out there’s a Humphrey about red and white straws.
Remember the Dundee chocolate biscuits for 2p from the tuck shop and chocolate sponge and pink custard for lunch mmm.
Hated tapioca though(frog spawn).
Remember the candles during the three day week it was quite exciting as a kid cooking on a calor gas stove for tea.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

I am sure that when I started going to the football and for a few years after the scores were done over the tannoy as match a 1v0 etc

Terry Gibson's perm

The first car I drove was a cream Ital that had a choke.

Video shops were everywhere we had three in walking distance and off licences were very popular the one nearest to me had out of date beer as well.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Not sure I qualify as an "oldie".....but we had an outside bog in my student house......and that was in 1990! No central heating either.....

Students don't know they're born these days I tell thee....

NorthernWisdom

Not sure I qualify as an "oldie".....but we had an outside bog in my student house......and that was in 1990! No central heating either.....

Students don't know they're born these days I tell thee....
Yeah, my parents' neighbour had their only toilet outside until they died, which would have been late 1990s I think.

Nowt like a kind, considerate landlord there eh...

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah, my parents' neighbour had their only toilet outside until they died, which would have been late 1990s I think.

Nowt like a kind, considerate landlord there eh...

Yep...the landlord was a horrible c**t.... We didn't even have a proper bathroom as he'd turned it into another bedroom. We had a shower in the understairs cupboard. When we moved in, we found we had fleas in the carpet so ripped it up to discover anoher old carpet, complete with old fag butts & various bits of litter underneath.....

...rent was cheap as chips though.....and we did a runner without paying for the last term so had the last laugh

dutchman

Lucky to have their own toilet!

Many of my friends lived in the courtyards of Coventry and had to share an outside toilet with several other families. The kitchen sink emptied into a gulley in the courtyard and in summer it stank beyond belief.

Hutch11

We had an old water pump in our garden , used to buy 5 no.6 on the way to school
Free scratchings from the chippy, went everywhere on our bikes and we were nearly all fit as butchers dogs

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My nan lived in the Butts during the war (grandad was killed in the blitz), and I still remember going to visit her and she would nearly always be in the back yard thumping washing in her "dolly tub"!
Not my nan, but just to show what a "Dolly Tub" was. Put washing in with water and soap powder and use the agitator (dolly) to beat the stuff clean!
Dolly-Tub.jpg

dutchman

The first place I lived in England (in Earlsdon) had no electricity upstairs but it did have an upstairs bathroom which was a rare luxury at the time. The water was heated by a huge geyser lit with a flamethrower. After turning on the gas you pivoted the flamethrower outwards to light the nozzle with a match or something. All the time the gas pressure was building up in the geyser. Then you swung the flamethrower round to ignite the gas accompanied by a loud boom. It frightened the life out of me.

The streetlight outside was also lit by gas. A man came around in the evening with a long pole to turn it on.

wingy

The first place I lived in England (in Earlsdon) had no electricity upstairs but it did have an upstairs bathroom which was a rare luxury at the time. The water was heated by a huge geyser lit with a flamethrower. After turning on the gas you pivoted the flamethrower outwards to light the nozzle with a match or something. All the time the gas pressure was building up in the geyser. Then you swung the flamethrower round to ignite the gas accompanied by a loud boom. It frightened the life out of me.

The streetlight outside was also lit by gas. A man came around in the evening with a long pole to turn it on.
Yes a Geyser on the inside and a geezer on the street Lol.😊

Sbarcher

Used to visit a pub in Beverley near Hull which is still lit by gas mantel lights. My old company used to make the mantels.

Sbarcher

When my dad got the car ready to go on holidays down to the South coast. He’d be tinkering and adjusting for a week to make sure it was ok. It’s only 100 miles!

wingy

When my dad got the car ready to go on holidays down to the South coast. He’d be tinkering and adjusting for a week to make sure it was ok. It’s only 100 miles!
And takes the spray paint and filler with him to touch up the sceptre.

Kneeza

Bus conductors

Off you go boys.
Yes, all of those, but we only got a tiddly little bottle of milk. You must've gone to a very posh school if they gave you two pints a day!
We had about enough to wet your whistle - and regular visits from the nit nurse, at Longford Park Primary.

Kneeza

We had an ex-RAC BSA M21 sidevalve single pulling a single seat sidecar. Dad used to joke that it fired at every third lamppost. No horsepower to speak of, but it would climb anything. On my first holiday, to Brixham, I vividly remember being zipped under the tonneau cover (it didn't have a roof or hood) as it was pouring with rain, and being trapped with a bee. Bugger stung me on the lip!
1957 I reckon.

Kneeza

Just had a sort through the box of old photos as I thought I'd seen this the other day. Only photo we have of the old Beeza. Must be about '56 I reckon. Me in the chair, and those are the backs of houses on Hall Green Road. The Green Man (now gone, sadly) just out of picture to the left. Can't see the houses now as there's loads of tacky new ones built in between. 20211207_091332.jpg

Sbarcher

Yes, all of those, but we only got a tiddly little bottle of milk. You must've gone to a very posh school if they gave you two pints a day!
We had about enough to wet your whistle - and regular visits from the nit nurse, at Longford Park Primary.
That reminds me - at infants school in Co Durham we had a fortnightly visit to the local health centre where we would all sit around a large UV lamp in our undies wearing goggles to get some Vitamin D.
PS - quart was meant to be quarter of a pint.

ovduk78

I am a bit younger than some on here, turning 60 next week. The 1st house I remember was in Stoke Aldermoor, we had no TV, can't remember how my mum washed clothes but she had a portable mangle in the kitchen and my dad had a scooter to get to work at Massey Fergusons. We moved to Rugby in 67 and my dad got his 1st car, we got a black and white TV, I think my mum got a twin tub washing machine but didn't have a phone. At school we took it in turns to be milk monitor and at the end of the day if any were left over we could drink the warm milk. We joined the Tufty club to learn about road safety.

Kneeza

My nan lived in the Butts during the war (grandad was killed in the blitz), and I still remember going to visit her and she would nearly always be in the back yard thumping washing in her "dolly tub"!
Not my nan, but just to show what a "Dolly Tub" was. Put washing in with water and soap powder and use the agitator (dolly) to beat the stuff clean!
View attachment 22993
We had one just like that (the dolly - nan used it, but didn't look like that). It was eventually replaced with a Rolls Rapide twin-tub. Luxury!

Users who are viewing this thread