Thread for the Oldies (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anyone remember the newsstand/telephone kiosks/information booth outside Marks & Spencer before a certain hideous monstrosity blacked out the skyline? To be honest I didn't until I found this picture.
lSE7Ngr.jpg

This itself was pretty-much an afterthought having been added in1962. Prior to that it was possible to see almost all the way from Smithford Way to Shelton Square.
I seem to recall it looking like this but memory is very hazy. It just looks so familiar?

Houchens Head

Anyone remember the newsstand/telephone kiosks/information booth outside Marks & Spencer before a certain hideous monstrosity blacked out the skyline? To be honest I didn't until I found this picture.
lSE7Ngr.jpg

This itself was pretty-much an afterthought having been added in1962. Prior to that it was possible to see almost all the way from Smithford Way to Shelton Square.
Here's a couple looking from the other direction Dutch......
Market Way 1969.jpg Market Way.jpg

Houchens Head

This could make or brake my day. How old do you need to be to qualify for this thread?
Any age is acceptable as long as you feel old! I'm just the right side of 70 but I'm sure there's a few who are only nippers in their 40's and 50's! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: ;)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Haven't looked here for ages judging by what i'm reading might well be the oldest on here.I remember our first house cost £2995 brand new , first pint 1 shilling and 3 pence(6 and half p) you could see 3 or 4 top acts of the day eg Joe Brown ,Billy Fury and Helen Shapiro on the same bill at The Coventry Theatre for less than £5 look at the price to watch an 81 year old now.

dutchman

Performed it every time i have seen him
The one time he didn't was in the movie of the same name!
There's a streetband version by The Happy Wonderers at the start of of the movie and another by the cast ensemble at the end but although a recording of Joe is heard in the background he is never actually seen performing the title number solo!
It's a brilliant movie though and highly recommended to all fans of the 1960s.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

There's a streetband version by The Happy Wonderers at the start of of the movie and another by the cast ensemble at the end but although a recording of Joe is heard in the background he is never actually seen performing the title number solo!
Must admit never seen it ,Wish my memory was as good as yours I remember songs especially on advert and need a prompt (google) and i go ahh rhats where i know it from.Getting back to Joe used to love hearing him play guitar solo's

Houchens Head

My favourite Joe Brown song is "I'll See You In My Dreams". Bloody love it!
I'll See You in My Dreams JOE BROWN (with lyrics) - YouTube

Flying Fokker

Just had a sort through the box of old photos as I thought I'd seen this the other day. Only photo we have of the old Beeza. Must be about '56 I reckon. Me in the chair, and those are the backs of houses on Hall Green Road. The Green Man (now gone, sadly) just out of picture to the left. Can't see the houses now as there's loads of tacky new ones built in between.View attachment 23001
Ah, the combination.

Kneeza

Ah, the combination.
Yup. Always loved em. Built and ran several of them in the eighties (mostly BMW airhead based, but one Honda CB750). Awful things in traffic, but just something that gets to you, somehow.
Here's one I did earlier, during construction, and complete during a camping trip in mid Wales veh007.jpg veh005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread