This winters Cricket thread (1 Viewer)

tisza

Curran really is looking something special with the bat, 20 years old, comes in under pressure time and time again and performs, today dug in and then tees off when required!
Alec Stewart and a few others have been talking him up as a batsman rather than a bowler for the future. Probably not going to be quick enough to be just a Test bowler in most conditions and lack of height isn't going to help - only about 5.8/5.9

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Alec Stewart and a few others have been talking him up as a batsman rather than a bowler for the future. Probably not going to be quick enough to be just a Test bowler in most conditions and lack of height isn't going to help - only about 5.8/5.9

If he can be a bowler like Sidebottom (who is Surrey bowling coach) he could do a job and with his batting like it is he’s go the potential to be our best all rounder!

Otis

Going to be tough to win now I feel.

Think we needed to take a lead in the first innings. That hasn't happened and Sri Lanka are now 17 ahead with 8 down and a good partnership in place. They get 30-40 ahead it could prove very tough.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched 3 overs and England have wasted 2 awful reviews to LBW so none left now on a turning wicket.

Effectively 63-4
Advantage SL
Need to 200 lead, reading Ave 2nd inns score at this ground over the last decade is higher than the first!

tisza

so 6 down - all to some form of the sweep.
One thing being aggressive/positive but not convinced there is the need for the reverse sweep on day 3 of a Test. Just leave the ball alone.
Yes the sweep has brought runs but when it's responsible for all the wickets to fall. It's the 2 wickets reverse sweeping that are poor choices.

That being said the variable bounce will suit England's aggressive spinners if they can maintain a reasonably disciplined approach.
Just seen this analogy - brakes on car have failed so we will drive as fast as we can to get home quickly:)

Root can get past a 100 then setting a target of 300 could be possible.

Last edited:

Otis

Looking very good now.

290 for 6. Lead of 244.

Going to be a tough ask even at this, but hopefully England can get to around a 300 lead .

That should do it.

tisza

Root century. Aggressive knock.
Comes off a hero, falls cheaply a villain.
Could be a match winner.
Commentators on about a declaration - not sure why still 2 days to go.

tisza

Poor use of reviews coming back to kick England - that's Ali and now Rashid that could have beeen overturned.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Should (should) have enough, spinners will have to be better this innings! Rashid needs to pull his finger out!

Set for a decent test, think SL will get over 200! It’s make a good (tense) Saturday morning to watch them chase the final 100 runs only 5/6 down!

Otis

Bloody hell, talk of polar opposites!!

Watching the test this morning, but then popped to Tesco at 7. Had 5Live on and they said there had just been a wicket.

They went to Jonathan Agnew, who said England got very lucky and that it was one of the flukiest wickets you will ever see and that the ball hit Jennings and bounced up to Foakes to take the catch.

Came back home, rewound the live broadcast and played the wicket taking delivery and on Sky they immediately called it as a piece of sheer brilliance, with Jennings deliberately palming the ball to Foakes to claim the dismissal.

So,: from biggest fluke ever, to sheer brilliance. And Agnew's report was obviously after the wicket was taken, so must have had the replay in front of him.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Was definitely deliberate by Jennings great work!

Making hard work of this after the start!
Got to give Stokes a 4/5 over burst.

Matthews is the key, scores quickly as well!

Otis

It's looking a bit worrying. Need one wicket. Get that and it changes everything, but obviously if these two keep going they will win easily.

Otis

And lo and behold, we get that wicket.

Now we have the player in named after my younger day mission to make love to the Jam's frontman.

Dickwella.

Otis

Well that all went pretty smoothly this morning.

Sri Lanka looked very comfortable at first, but as soon as Dickwella was out it all pretty much fell apart for them.

Win by 57 runs and all over in 30 mins.

tisza

Clinical.
Not a great Sri Lanka side but still one that beat South Africa and Pakistan.
Never easy overseas but spinners have been a real surprise.
Hopefully keep faith with Burns and Foakes.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Great result, last test I would imagine Curran will be rested with his side injury and Anderson, would like to see Aston’s play but they’ll go with Broad and woakes id imagine.

Keep the rest of the side the same.

tisza

Great result, last test I would imagine Curran will be rested with his side injury and Anderson, would like to see Aston’s play but they’ll go with Broad and woakes id imagine.

Keep the rest of the side the same.
If they go with 2 quicks.
Maybe Stokes bowls a bit more and play an extra batsman then just Woakes in. Curran & Anderson only bowled around 50 overs in the 4 innings.

Captain Dart

Having a choice of a few decent spinners in the squad makes a big difference on the sub continent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

And lo and behold, we get that wicket.

Now we have the player in named after my younger day mission to make love to the Jam's frontman.

Dickwella.

Would he have a partnership with Ramdin?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Heard that Fighting Talk had a great line in it about the Cricket Social, because they can't call it TMS as they've not got the rights.

As it's basically listening to people watching the match on TV why isn't it called GooglyBox?

chiefdave

There’s been some shocking fielding from the England to finish this Women’s t20 game. Thrown away any chance of winning.

oucho

For the final Sri Lanka Test I'd rest Curran and Anderson, bring in Stone and probably Woakes. If it's less of a turning track then maybe also bring in Broad for Rashid.

Users who are viewing this thread