This winters Cricket thread (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Good to see the Warwickshire duo opening the bowling SL 51-4 chasing 279 you’d hope England’s spinners can wrap this one up now!

Woakes is definitely the cricket equivalent of James Milner so reliable!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

3-0 up 1 to play, 2020 Saturday before the 3 match test series.

Herath retiring after the first Test so he’ll only take 1 10fer in the series then!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Record defeat to end the ODI series.

No sure why Morgan rested himself with only 1 2020 to come plus chance for the captain to see the back up players that came in.

Woakes not playing shows the control he has at the top of the order as SL got off to a flier & Mark Wood again proving he’s not international standard!

chiefdave

Tour has been a shambles really with the weather. Why on earth is it scheduled for the rain season.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Oh the irony, additionally the player who’s sledge caused him to walk off was Phil Hughes’ (the Australian that died after being struck by a bouncer 3 years ago) brother.

Ashes next year will be interesting if (when) him and Smith return.....

Terry Gibson's perm

If only Warner had removed himself from the game permanently he is stain on the game and should just play pyjama cricket now

Terry Gibson's perm

Just looked at what was said if he reacts like that in the ashes they will have to go back to timeless tests as he will be on and off all day

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Bizarre first 90 mins.

Turned on to see Jennings be bowled

98-4, rain looks likely to win this test but if the run rate remains this high and regularity of wickets who knows!

tisza

Bizarre first 90 mins.

Turned on to see Jennings be bowled

98-4, rain looks likely to win this test but if the run rate remains this high and regularity of wickets who knows!
only need 100 odd overs for Sri Lanka to win this one so rain shouldn't be a factor :(
Seriously though every man and his dog could see what was needed for this series except for the England team.
Some embarrassing dismissals as usual. Run rate chasing completely inappropriate for this venue.
South Africa got hammered doing the same and only got close to respectability when a couple of their batsmen woke up and realised old fashioned dogged batting the way to go.
Going to be a long Tour from which likely to be too arrogant to learn anything.
Rant over (hoping this can be held up to ridicule when England turn it round).
And when are they going to learn and get at least a couple of proper 4 day games in on overseas tours before the Tests. These ridiculous 50 man a side one innings 2 day things are a joke.

Last edited:

tisza

Tail bail out top order again.
lucky Bairstow was injured.
Lucky Sri Lanka didn't field well
2 batsmen realizing a scoring rate of under 50% is not a bad thing.
proper Test innings from Foakes - very nicely done.
321-8 a good score.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Tail bail out top order again.
lucky Bairstow was injured.
Lucky Sri Lanka didn't field well
2 batsmen realizing a scoring rate of under 50% is not a bad thing.
proper Test innings from Foakes - very nicely done.
321-8 a good score.

Fair play Foakes showing the top order how to bat in SL!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Great start with the ball, need to make sure they don’t allow SL back into this like they did with England!
A lead of 100 would be excellent here!

tisza

203 ao. Nicely done.
Now top order set a platform so we can bat them out of this Test.
Gotta think 300 (160 innings) lead would be enough but should be aiming for 380-400 (240-300 innings) target

Covstu

Yeah would have taken that one but they dug in at the end. Thought when the 4th went this morning we would have taken them for less but its still a top result and shows how important Foakes's ton was!

tisza

Terrific win. Any away win a good result these days particularly in Asian conditions.
Our spinners are better than I thought.
Sri Lanka didn't look a good side when we last played them but South Africa series did cast doubts that they may have improved.
Still stand by what I wrote (often) in the summer that top order doesn't play spin that well. Credit to Jennings - maybe he could open in series that focus on spin but still hopeless against pace & swing attacks.
Foakes innings the game changer.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

England definitely have to accept a horses for courses approach, ie Jennings suited to slow, low pitches v spinners but his technique will struggle v pace on quicker wickets. No harm playing certain players in certain conditions / parts of the world.

Rashid still a concern all over the shop!

Sky Blue Pete

only need 100 odd overs for Sri Lanka to win this one so rain shouldn't be a factor :(
Seriously though every man and his dog could see what was needed for this series except for the England team.
Some embarrassing dismissals as usual. Run rate chasing completely inappropriate for this venue.
South Africa got hammered doing the same and only got close to respectability when a couple of their batsmen woke up and realised old fashioned dogged batting the way to go.
Going to be a long Tour from which likely to be too arrogant to learn anything.
Rant over (hoping this can be held up to ridicule when England turn it round).
And when are they going to learn and get at least a couple of proper 4 day games in on overseas tours before the Tests. These ridiculous 50 man a side one innings 2 day things are a joke.
Mwah mwah

oucho

Wouldn't pick Bairstow tomorrow; he hasn't been in great form and shouldn't be considered an automatic pick as a batsman, let alone as a keeper. Pick the same XI unless it's really going to help the seamers in which case one of Leach or Rash can make way for Broad or Woakes.

oucho

Unchanged side with Stokes to bat at 3.
Good calls. Keeping Foakes and moving Ali. Wait and see on Stokes at 3

I agree but I would change the batting order as follows: Rory Burns, Keaton Jennings, Ben Stokes, Joe Root (c), Ben Foakes (wk), Moeen Ali, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Adil Rashid, Jack Leach, James Anderson.

Foakes is a good solid batsman who can bat properly and thus go at 5. Moeen and Buttler are dashers who can come in after him. Moeen fine at 6, whereas Buttler can do his Gilchrist-style "play with freedom" role at 7 as was originally intended last summer.

tisza

Time for the middle order to dig England out of trouble again!
still a mindset of certain batsmen that they have to try and hit their way out of trouble rather than grind it out. Just not appropriate on these turning wickets.
Game unlikely to go more than 3-4 days when you see them spitting of the wicket as early as the 2nd over.
240-250 possibly a decent score on a wicket like this but we'll see when Sri Lanka bat.

Covstu

solid innings in the end, middle order carrying us again. We would be some force if we can get 1 & 2 solid.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Curran really is looking something special with the bat, 20 years old, comes in under pressure time and time again and performs, today dug in and then tees off when required!

Users who are viewing this thread