This team will be better than the 22/23 team (4 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

If we maintained our form since switching to 4 at the back we’d get about 78 points which really ought to be enough. Probably wouldn’t even need that, it looks incredibly tight again.

covcity4life

If we maintained our form since switching to 4 at the back we’d get about 78 points which really ought to be enough. Probably wouldn’t even need that, it looks incredibly tight again.
Think we need 12 wins from 19 or something like that

Regarding formation. Yes it's kick-started season and yes we should keep it but does anyone else think of we went back to 352 it would actually work now that the players are gelled and in form? I think so

But I prefer how we playing 433 so don't want a change. Just saying I think we could make it work now

Brighton Sky Blue

Regarding formation. Yes it's kick-started season and yes we should keep it but does anyone else think of we went back to 352 it would actually work now that the players are gelled and in form? I think so

But I prefer how we playing 433 so don't want a change. Just saying I think we could make it work now
I think the problem with it is you really do need a Hamer type player in the middle so you aren’t bogged down with too many defensive players on the pitch. Even then I prefer us having more options further up the field

Saddlebrains

No i dont

The stats show that teams in this league who still play 3 5 2 are those struggling, Huddersfield, QPR being some

The games moved on, like it does every few years, we've had the false 9 faze, wing back phase, diamond midfield.phase etc

AFCCOVENTRY

No i dont

The stats show that teams in this league who still play 3 5 2 are those struggling, Huddersfield, QPR being some

The games moved on, like it does every few years, we've had the false 9 faze, wing back phase, diamond midfield.phase etc

Have to agree. 3-5-2 was quite the oversight by Robins at the start of the season.

NorthernWisdom

I think the problem with it is you really do need a Hamer type player in the middle so you aren’t bogged down with too many defensive players on the pitch. Even then I prefer us having more options further up the field
tbf we looked a lot better when Allen came back, and the tempo increased accordingly. If we'd got O'Hare back too then I could have seen us being a lot more dynamic in that formation. However the main problem is none of the strikers seemed to work as a two (and it's fair to say we looked poorer last season whenever we played with two up top) and none of them were even close to being able to play up top by themselves.

Brighton Sky Blue

tbf we looked a lot better when Allen came back, and the tempo increased accordingly. If we'd got O'Hare back too then I could have seen us being a lot more dynamic in that formation. However the main problem is none of the strikers seemed to work as a two (and it's fair to say we looked poorer last season whenever we played with two up top) and none of them were even close to being able to play up top by themselves.
Even with Allen and COH behind a suitable lone striker, it’s still just 3 attacking players being asked to deliver the goods. Our wing backs didn’t get forward enough and without Hamer further back we struggled to launch attacks.

More worryingly despite having more defenders on the pitch we were conceding plenty of really poor goals.

covcity4life

No i dont

Top teams in Italy still play 352 to be fair. I'm not sure the games moved on from it at all.

But it's a good backup for us to have anyway

NorthernWisdom

Even with Allen and COH behind a suitable lone striker, it’s still just 3 attacking players being asked to deliver the goods. Our wing backs didn’t get forward enough and without Hamer further back we struggled to launch attacks.

More worryingly despite having more defenders on the pitch we were conceding plenty of really poor goals.
The goals is maybe unsurprising though as they'd all just been introduced to one another.

(Dare I say it, but DaSilva in the side didn't help either, but I expect a pile-on for that!)

stupot07

No i dont

I don't think so either. We got overrun in midfield when we played 2 up front, and only really worked over the last 2 years when we played the box.

Wright has been too drawer coming in off the left and Sakamoto is one of our best players, and his partnership with MVE creates so much.

It just doesn't work anymore with the players we have. Hamer was instrumental, as was Viks ability to play on his own and get us moving up the pitch.

4231 is the way to go, 352 would take us back wards

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Astute

We're in 6th now.

2 points a game is automatic promotion form. We won't need 2 points a game to stay in 6th. 12 wins=36 points from 19 games. 2 draws as well makes it 2 points a game.

I do think we have a chance of booking our playoffs place by April.

covcity4life

We're in 6th now.

2 points a game is automatic promotion form. We won't need 2 points a game to stay in 6th. 12 wins=36 points from 19 games. 2 draws as well makes it 2 points a game.

I do think we have a chance of booking our playoffs place by April.
Based it on us needing around 75pts to be confident enough of playoff berth.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Last year, so many teams dropped off above us which is really unusual, I feel we will need more points this year to be in the playoffs but are in a good position to do that

robbiekeane

Said a lot of very silly things about this team at the start of the season which obviously looks very stupid now. I know I have a bit of a rep on here for being very negative and I know I can get very caught up in the heat of the moment when things aren’t going well, but my 2024 SBT New Year’s resolution is to be more positive so please hold me to that.

Fair play to Evo, Fernando and the others who saw the potential in this team early doors, you lads had a blinder. This is a squad that is going places and will only get better. Premier League here we come.
Fair play to you

fatso

Said a lot of very silly things about this team at the start of the season which obviously looks very stupid now. I know I have a bit of a rep on here for being very negative and I know I can get very caught up in the heat of the moment when things aren’t going well, but my 2024 SBT New Year’s resolution is to be more positive so please hold me to that.

Fair play to Evo, Fernando and the others who saw the potential in this team early doors, you lads had a blinder. This is a squad that is going places and will only get better. Premier League here we come.
We've definitely improved no end. And for me we are 3 players short of the perfect championship winning side. I just feel we lack a left sided Sakamoto, a Gyokeres style striker (easier said than done) and possibly a top class right sided CH. (Although Thomas is improving tbf)
If we had that we'd piss this league.

Yesterday's starting line up was my first choice team, if everyone was fit and available, and I hope we stick with it for the double header against Wednesday.

Astute

Based it on us needing around 75pts to be confident enough of playoff berth.
Teams below us are averaging 1.5 points a game or less. That will give them 68 points. Can't see any of them averaging close to 2 points a game for the rest of the season to reach 75 points. Remember most also have to play each other again still. Guaranteed dropped points.

covcity4life

Teams below us are averaging 1.5 points a game or less. That will give them 68 points. Can't see any of them averaging close to 2 points a game for the rest of the season to reach 75 points. Remember most also have to play each other again still. Guaranteed dropped points.
Hope your right

shmmeee

We've definitely improved no end. And for me we are 3 players short of the perfect championship winning side. I just feel we lack a left sided Sakamoto, a Gyokeres style striker (easier said than done) and possibly a top class right sided CH. (Although Thomas is improving tbf)
If we had that we'd piss this league.

Yesterday's starting line up was my first choice team, if everyone was fit and available, and I hope we stick with it for the double header against Wednesday.

You’d drop Wright?

fernandopartridge

Respect

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Chris1987

The potential in the squad is immense. Can't help but think that we are becoming the Championship version of Brighton following a very similar model. A new owner who is attempting to make the club more professional in many aspects helps a great deal. The basis of the signings with essentially achievement centered add ons is sound and the recruitment to date with the exception of the Ayari loan has been top notch. I've been to plenty of games this season and I can honestly say now that on match days I am excited about the football I will be watching. We are extremely close to having great strength in every position but the main thing is that we have the money to ultimately achieve this goal now.
Without doubt in my mind this is the most talented and exciting squad we have had for many a year. Additionally the team spirit seems fantastic. As an example when Tats scored his first goal it was plain to see how pleased the other players were for him. The positive energy from COH & Milan has clearly helped Haji Wright who now looks a much happier bunny. The rocks of Kitching , Thomas , Birdwell & Sheaf inspires confidence every game.
It has taken a while to click into place this season but my God it's been worth waiting for . Looking forward to seeing Torp integrated into the team and interested to see what further additions come in this January. Next Saturday at Hillsborough can't come soon enough.

fatso

It's worth pointing out that Allen came on against 10 men in the 67th minute, when Leicester had parked the bus, he wouldn't of been as influential in the firsthalf.

I thought Eccles was rock solid in the first half.

fatso

You’d drop Wright?
I know I slaughtered him earlier in the season when he was playing CF, but he's been playing very well and contributing excellently since moving wide left. So credit where its due, but I would be tempted to keep the same side as I thought we retained possession well and had the better of the game even before the sending off.

shmmeee

I know I slaughtered him earlier in the season when he was playing CF, but he's been playing very well and contributing excellently since moving wide left. So credit where its due, but I would be tempted to keep the same side as I thought we retained possession well and had the better of the game even before the sending off.

I don’t think he’ll be fit for the next three TBF. But everyone fit he starts IMO. The guy is top scorer in the league.

Legia Sky Blue

While your confidence is justified given our current form, it would be dangerous and complacent to think that no one below us can average 2 points a match for the rest of the season. History tells us otherwise in there are many instances of 'surprise' improvements in the second half of seasons. Equally we still don't know what transfer business will be done by our opponents before the window closes. Someone might yet have a 'Forest' like window and smash it for the rest of the season.

Astute

While your confidence is justified given our current form, it would be dangerous and complacent to think that no one below us can average 2 points a match for the rest of the season. History tells us otherwise in there are many instances of 'surprise' improvements in the second half of seasons. Equally we still don't know what transfer business will be done by our opponents before the window closes. Someone might yet have a 'Forest' like window and smash it for the rest of the season.
I agree it could happen. But from what we have seen so far it isn't going to happen and we're playing great and already top 6. The teams below us are struggling. We have gone past them whilst playing the best sides.

Nothing to me says we will need a high amount of points to make the playoffs again. 4th or above should be our target. Would guess we have as much as getting 2nd as finishing outside the top 6. Can't see either happening but nothing is impossible.

Legia Sky Blue

I agree it could happen. But from what we have seen so far it isn't going to happen and we're playing great and already top 6. The teams below us are struggling. We have gone past them whilst playing the best sides.

Nothing to me says we will need a high amount of points to make the playoffs again. 4th or above should be our target. Would guess we have as much as getting 2nd as finishing outside the top 6. Can't see either happening but nothing is impossible.

I can't see the top 4 changing, although I expect Ipswich might slip a little and finish 4th. They have so many points in the bag already I just can't see their form slipping so much that they would finish lower than that however. In regard to the other 2 places we have got ourselves in a nice position, but this could yet be de-railed by injuries particularly to O'Hare or Sakamoto who are not easily replaceable. If they stay fit however I really fancy our chances, although it is still a lot more likely we will finish outside the Top 6 than come 2nd! To my mind 5th or 6th is achievable, but I imagine every team down to Bristol City is thinking the same right now, so we need to keep our foot on the gas, keep our current run going as long as possible and not let up.

clint van damme

I can't see the top 4 changing, although I expect Ipswich might slip a little and finish 4th. They have so many points in the bag already I just can't see their form slipping so much that they would finish lower than that however. In regard to the other 2 places we have got ourselves in a nice position, but this could yet be de-railed by injuries particularly to O'Hare or Sakamoto who are not easily replaceable. If they stay fit however I really fancy our chances, although it is still a lot more likely we will finish outside the Top 6 than come 2nd! To my mind 5th or 6th is achievable, but I imagine every team down to Bristol City is thinking the same right now, so we need to keep our foot on the gas, keep our current run going as long as possible and not let up.

I'd be amazed if we're not top 4, I honestly think this side is that good.

Astute

Teams down to Bristol City may think the same but they haven't got the players or manager we do.

Look at yesterday's game. We played without Wright. We have players that can cover each other. Their defence still took a battering. We have just played 5 of the 6 sides in the last 9 games and are still at the top of the form table for the last 10 games.

Now we're playing the teams towards the bottom of the form table. I see no problems coming from the sides we have just gone past. Many will need to hit automatic promotion form to keep up with us.

SkyBlueSoul

Improved on every metric compared to last year, and now on par with the season before that points wise where we had a brilliant start then fell away. The difference is this team is hitting it's stride now and continuing to improve. Very exciting end to the season coming up.

1705241227911.png

Evo1883

Improved on every metric compared to last year, and now on par with the season before that points wise where we had a brilliant start then fell away. The difference is this team is hitting it's stride now and continuing to improve. Very exciting end to the season coming up.

View attachment 33373
The GD suggests this team has a bit more of the XFactor than previous years too

Users who are viewing this thread