This team will be better than the 22/23 team (5 Viewers)

rexo87

Do we think we’ll sell any of our assets will be sold in the summer? Didn’t even cross my mind until our turn around in form but I’m sure people will be keeping tabs on sakamoto/sheaf/Van Ewijk.

Unlikely I’d think given most of the new signings will still have 3 years left. Sheaf probably the most likely given he will have 2 years. But shouldn’t be any pressure to sell given there will still be some Hamer money kicking about plus any Vik cash that may come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

Unlikely I’d think given most of the new signings will still have 3 years left. Sheaf probably the most likely given he will have 2 years. But shouldn’t be any pressure to sell given there will still be some Hamer money kicking about plus any Vik cash that may come in

The length of contract doesn't make much difference from 2 years long to older. It just gives a peace of mind to the owning club. Clubs won't offer more for a player on a 3 year over a 2 year contract.

Pressure to sell is a different thing. Every situation is different. A big money offer for an ambitious player can turn their head. No we wouldn't have to sell but it could be the best way to go. Big money also to continue with player upgrades.

rexo87

The length of contract doesn't make much difference from 2 years long to older. It just gives a peace of mind to the owning club. Clubs won't offer more for a player on a 3 year over a 2 year contract.

Pressure to sell is a different thing. Every situation is different. A big money offer for an ambitious player can turn their head. No we wouldn't have to sell but it could be the best way to go. Big money also to continue with player upgrades.

No but there’s a difference between 1 and 2 years. If you let someone on 2 years have another year then they’re down to 1 year and will then get less

Astute

No but there’s a difference between 1 and 2 years. If you let someone on 2 years have another year then they’re down to 1 year and will then get less

You had just said no clubs would bid for our new players because they would still have 3 years left on their contracts. Yet now you've going on about 1 year.

Will get less when 1 year left? Nothing to do with your earlier post but hey ho OK I'll play.

We sold 2 players with just 1 year left on their contract recently. Would you say we sold them cheap, about right valuation or did we get a good price for them?

My personal view is that although we sold them both with just a year left on their contracts we still sold them for their highest values since joining our club. If you remember Gyokeres was a waste of 1m and Hamer a liability.

rexo87

You had just said no clubs would bid for our new players because they would still have 3 years left on their contracts. Yet now you've going on about 1 year.

Will get less when 1 year left? Nothing to do with your earlier post but hey ho OK I'll play.

We sold 2 players with just 1 year left on their contract recently. Would you say we sold them cheap, about right valuation or did we get a good price for them?

My personal view is that although we sold them both with just a year left on their contracts we still sold them for their highest values since joining our club. If you remember Gyokeres was a waste of 1m and Hamer a liability.

The point is that with 2 years left you should either be looking to extend the contract or sell so that you get maximum value before they get to just 1 year left and value is then reduced.

At 3 years left you don’t need to worry about a contract extension or selling for another year.

How many prem sides let their best players get down to just 1 year on their contract? Very little

Astute

The point is that with 2 years left you should either be looking to extend the contract or sell so that you get maximum value before they get to just 1 year left and value is then reduced.

At 3 years left you don’t need to worry about a contract extension or selling for another year.

How many prem sides let their best players get down to just 1 year on their contract? Very little

But your point was nobody would bid for our players at the end of the season because they would have 3 years left. Now you're going on about 1 year.

It's quite simple. A player under contract has a value. The value is what someone is prepared to pay. The holding club don't have to sell. 2 years or more on the contract then no pressure to sell.

The Prem is a different kettle of fish. They don't live in reality. Contract down to 2 years? Offer them an extra 5m or more over 4 years. This protects maybe a 50m player. But lower down sides can't afford to offer life changing amounts.

rexo87

But your point was nobody would bid for our players at the end of the season because they would have 3 years left. Now you're going on about 1 year.

It's quite simple. A player under contract has a value. The value is what someone is prepared to pay. The holding club don't have to sell. 2 years or more on the contract then no pressure to sell.

The Prem is a different kettle of fish. They don't live in reality. Contract down to 2 years? Offer them an extra 5m or more over 4 years. This protects maybe a 50m player. But lower down sides can't afford to offer life changing amounts.

I wasn’t saying sides won’t bid if they have 3 years, of course they would. The difference is we would be far less inclined to sell at that point as they will hold their value. You generally get a lot less for players with 1 year left if they stay at the same level. We got so much for Vik and Hamer as they had such incredibly good last seasons

Astute

The post you replied to

Do we think we’ll sell any of our assets will be sold in the summer? Didn’t even cross my mind until our turn around in form but I’m sure people will be keeping tabs on sakamoto/sheaf/Van Ewijk.

Your reply to it

MikeyMoo

Well our attack is more diverse - it had to be - and both started poorly. I’d like to think by end of season we’ve both scored significantly more and conceded less. However, getting clean sheets has been an issue lately.

SkyBlueSoul

Interesting that we're on par with the season before. Really fell away after that, only won 4 of the last 15.

1707834629541.png

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

You know what’s really frustrating over the last two seasons. Those first 10-15 in games really stopped us challenging the top 2

looking at Sheff Utd this season- I’m still convinced we’re better than them

SkyBlueSoul

Evo1883

The team is better in many ways already IMHO, we are 3 points better off at the same stage Screenshot_20240310_093211_Chrome.jpg

False9

This is also a much harder league than last season.

Leicester Southampton and Leeds far stronger then the 3 promoted sides. Add Ipswich in there too.

messiahrobins

Lets do a combination of last seasons team and this seasons to see which team has the most players in it

Ill go 5-3-2 as Sakamoto can play in the hole, he is very versatile and it makes this exercise a bit easier
Wilson
MVE Latabadieure Mcfadzean Doyle Bidwell

Hamer Sheaf
Sakamoto
Gyokeres Wright

I did struggle a bit with MVE v Norton-Cuffy as MVE has been very inconsistent but obviously when he plays well he is far superior so have gone with him. Obviously some players above are stil here but the only players from last season not here who would get in this combination side are lo and behold Doyle (potential England player) Mcfadzean (Club legend) Hamer (perm league player) and Gyokeres (CL player almost certainly)
Some will argue McNally over Latabadieure, but McNally was god awful in the play off final and i think latabadieure is much more mentally resilient which in big matches is key.
The side is significantly better this season.

shmmeee

Lets do a combination of last seasons team and this seasons to see which team has the most players in it

Ill go 5-3-2 as Sakamoto can play in the hole, he is very versatile and it makes this exercise a bit easier
Wilson
MVE Latabadieure Mcfadzean Doyle Bidwell

Hamer Sheaf
Sakamoto
Gyokeres Wright

I did struggle a bit with MVE v Norton-Cuffy as MVE has been very inconsistent but obviously when he plays well he is far superior so have gone with him. Obviously some players above are stil here but the only players from last season not here who would get in this combination side are lo and behold Doyle (potential England player) Mcfadzean (Club legend) Hamer (perm league player) and Gyokeres (CL player almost certainly)
Some will argue McNally over Latabadieure, but McNally was god awful in the play off final and i think latabadieure is much more mentally resilient which in big matches is key.
The side is significantly better this season.

Collins
MvE Kitching Doyle Bidwell
Hamer Sheaf Torp
Wright Simms Gyokeres

messiahrobins

The team is better in many ways already IMHO, we are 3 points better off at the same stageView attachment 34507
7 points off 5th last year, and we finished 5th!
Got a great chance this season and for those saying we have a harder run in, not being funny but if we have aspirations of promotion then surely we need to be picking up points against the likes of Southampton Leeds and Ipswich and Hull surely.

shmmeee

Simms over Sakamoto?
Torp i excluded as he hasnt played enough yet, personally think he will go on to be better than Hamer as it happens.

Just couldn’t make Saka work unless it was 4231, and I wanted to seem Wright Simms and Vik as a front line, so needed a CM I’m really.

messiahrobins

Just couldn’t make Saka work unless it was 4231, and I wanted to seem Wright Simms and Vik as a front line, so needed a CM I’m really.
Dont you think Sakamoto can play the no10 role? I honestly think he can now he has got used to English football.

covcity4life

The team either is better or is set to be better in very near future so that's enough for me

If we make playoffs I don't expect promotion. I don't even expect playoff final. But it would be valuable experience and shows recruitment on right path and long may it continue

shmmeee

Dont you think Sakamoto can play the no10 role? I honestly think he can now he has got used to English football.

Yeah I had that at first and no Torp, but think Vik would be better on the left of a front three than in a 4231. I’m not sure why I’m giving this much thought to it 🤣

messiahrobins

The team either is better or is set to be better in very near future so that's enough for me

If we make playoffs I don't expect promotion. I don't even expect playoff final. But it would be valuable experience and shows recruitment on right path and long may it continue
If we dont go up this season, we will be champions next season and in many ways id rather do it that way. i think next season in the PL would be a struggle but i think in 2 years this squad with a few more additions will be easily mid table level in the PL. In 2 years Kitching and Thomas will be sought after by some of the biggest clubs as the potential in both is there for all to see.

Flying Fokker

If we dont go up this season, we will be champions next season and in many ways id rather do it that way. i think next season in the PL would be a struggle but i think in 2 years this squad with a few more additions will be easily mid table level in the PL. In 2 years Kitching and Thomas will be sought after by some of the biggest clubs as the potential in both is there for all to see.
It will be interesting pitching against SUFC,Burnley, Luton or a couple of the ‘in danger’ sides. With all respects to them, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton have been a bigger challenge this season…even though 2 of them were well clear at the end of the season.

Can’t see Derby or Portsmouth doing an Ipswich and wouldn’t want them to either.

messiahrobins

It will be interesting pitching against SUFC,Burnley, Luton or a couple of the ‘in danger’ sides. With all respects to them, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton have been a bigger challenge this season…even though 2 of them were well clear at the end of the season.

Can’t see Derby or Portsmouth doing an Ipswich and wouldn’t want them to either.
Funnily enough, if there is a L1 side who might make an impact in the Champ it could be Peterborough, albeit they will be losing a key player and may be a couple more to us. They have got a tremendous ability to spot and develop players.
Sheff Utd is a club in decay and are going the way of Stoke. Burnley will revert back to a middling Champ side, like their brethrins in Preston.
Luton bless them will likely be back down the divisions unless they have serious investment. Southampton on the other hand i can see challenging for European football within 3 years. Another club who is fucked is Forest.
Fans want us to spend big, but its vital we dont end up like Forest or Sheff Utd for example. Brighton is the blueprint.

Users who are viewing this thread