this summer's cricket (2 Viewers)

Gazolba

India win T20 series.
India have better bowlers and better batsmen, apart from that, there's not much between the teams.

Terry Gibson's perm

Brookes taking wickets again for Warwicks (Birmingham Bears). PLaying Yorkshire in the T20. He's an immense talent. 18 and bowls at 90mph. I think he has younger brothers at the club too?

He has one is playing second 11 and taking wickets and the other is at the mcc

tisza

India win T20 series.
India have better bowlers and better batsmen, apart from that, there's not much between the teams.
Dry pitches and England quicks are meat and drink to Indian batsmen. Threw away a good start today.
Hope for rain before Tests start

Terry Gibson's perm

Ethan Brookes was caught out in the Knowle v Shrewsbury Birmingham league game by which ex England goalkeeper yesterday?

tisza

All in all a bit of a shambles the England innings. Embarrassed by left arm spin.
This is a step up from Australia but international players shouldn't be panicking or throwing it away just because it's a new type of bowling for them.
Poor effort 60/70 runs short.
Bet our spinners get clobbered.

Last edited:

tisza

I was a bit disappointed they were going to leave out hales even if fit, I would pick him before Root
Can see the logic as was evidenced by today's performance - problem is Root doesn't play left-arm spin well.
Root supposed to play the Stokes' innings. Morgan can bat both ways but is hit and miss.
Problem with England's hitters they can deal with pace but can struggle with good spin - hence sides sometimes opening with a spinner against Roy for example.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The England bowling attack especially the pacemen get away with it so often as the batsman are so so good and rarely fail but when they do like today the bowling attack get shown up for how clueless they are.

Terry Gibson's perm

Wood seems to get many chances to perform but seems to do very little and although not playing today Ball is a joke the attack is very reliant on Rashid and the Indians can play him all day (haven’t seen any of the bowling today as just got out of work)

tisza

Wood seems to get many chances to perform but seems to do very little and although not playing today Ball is a joke the attack is very reliant on Rashid and the Indians can play him all day (haven’t seen any of the bowling today as just got out of work)
to me they're not one-day bowlers. don't have the discipline or variation.
and as always the quicks don't seem to be able to adjust their plans to suit the match situations.

Terry Gibson's perm

to me they're not one-day bowlers. don't have the discipline or variation.
and as always the quicks don't seem to be able to adjust their plans to suit the match situations.

And the quicks are aren’t quick enough either you can get away lack of skills if you are express paced but this group are neither

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’d be half tempted to go on the county circuit find your 2/3 consistently quickest bowlers and chuck them in for a couple of games and see what they can do!

Wood is averaging nearly 50 with the ball after about 35 ODI’s!

tisza

I’d be half tempted to go on the county circuit find your 2/3 consistently quickest bowlers and chuck them in for a couple of games and see what they can do!

Wood is averaging nearly 50 with the ball after about 35 ODI’s!
It's why they want to try and fast track Archer for one.
Also part of it is this mindset if our bowlers are taking to 2 for 50 or 4 for 70 then it's okay.
Then coupled with the ridiculous "how fantastic it is that we bat so deep - Plunkett, Willey etc can come in and give it a whack" Find better bowlers and your 9,10,11 probably don't need to be able to give it a whack as you'd be chasing lower totals. India pick their best bowlers not the 3rd/4tg best who can score a few runs.

tisza

England bounce back with a rather comfortable win!
Bowlers had a decent (not spectacular) total to defend and generally bowled much better than at Trent Bridge. Also early wickets protected the spinners a bit - who both still bowled well.
Having criticized the approach with batting bowlers today was one of the today's it did help. India's decision to pick "bowling" bowlers left them with a long tail after the batsmen for once didn't turn up.

Gazolba

Root finally gets a century!

Grendel

India win T20 series.

lol

tisza

Well chased by Root & Morgan, good series win against quality opposition!
Wood finally bowled well with good support from Willey at the top. Plunkett rubbish.
Spinners went well.
Good start with bat. Sometimes you have to bat well and not just hammer it.
Bairstow is a terrific player atm.
Then Root played a quality innings. Morgan also
That’s a good series win against quality opposition And for once didn't panic and learnt quickly about Indian spinners

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Wood finally bowled well with good support from Willey at the top. Plunkett rubbish.
Spinners went well.
Good start with bat. Sometimes you have to bat well and not just hammer it.
Bairstow is a terrific player atm.
Then Root played a quality innings. Morgan also
That’s a good series win against quality opposition And for once didn't panic and learnt quickly about Indian spinners

12 months out you can’t see past this being the World Cup final next year, but England have to keep their current levels up for another 12 months!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Also Root who id have dropped from the 11 for this series had Hales been fit is man of the series!

Rashid will play about 6 2020 for Yorkshire now and that’ll be his season done! Should be in the test side, weather stays like this there will be a shout to play 2 spinners!

tisza

Also Root who id have dropped from the 11 for this series had Hales been fit is man of the series!

Rashid will play about 6 2020 for Yorkshire now and that’ll be his season done! Should be in the test side, weather stays like this there will be a shout to play 2 spinners!
i'd always keep Root as i've said earlier several times. you need a batsman that can bat 40 odd overs if wickets fall early -much like Kohli, Smith do.
Still don't like the idea of white ball only players. Can't consider Rashid for Tests without any red ball cricket. Still interesting to hear Harbajan bemoan the lack of depth in Indian spinning.
Pace attack still cause for concern - still very much hit and miss. Hopefully Woakes comes back in - was bowling well in one dayers before injury

tisza

what does Rashid do now? Sri Lanka one-dayers in Oct but as far as I know he doesn't have any overseas 20/20 contracts atm. Surely has to be a better balance available between specializing and not playing enough cricket

Covstu

We look a quality side apart from that little blip against Scotland!

I think we have the ability to win the WC next year obviously weather dependant so hopefully the time spent up to the tournament we can tweak as necessary but the core needs to be maintained. Very hopeful!!

Terry Gibson's perm

Steve harmison was on talksport this morning and was talking about the World Cup side he thinks the eleven from this series plus Woakes vince etc he said there is one space for a bowler and straight away said Henry Brookes has been bowling fast this year but then said he would pick Sam Curran as he is left arm these currans boys must shit gold as I have yet to see them do much ina game

tisza

Steve harmison was on talksport this morning and was talking about the World Cup side he thinks the eleven from this series plus Woakes vince etc he said there is one space for a bowler and straight away said Henry Brookes has been bowling fast this year but then said he would pick Sam Curran as he is left arm these currans boys must shit gold as I have yet to see them do much ina game
going to need swing friendly conditions to merit Curran's inclusion (plus another 10mph - not quick enough for a short skiddy bowler).
Everyone talking up Brookes for all forms of the game - not played 10 games in any of the formats. But what little I've seen very impressive.
Personally think there's time for a couple of quick bowlers to stake a claim. Think Willey, Wood and Plunkett all replaceable - inconsistent and often ill-disciplined with the odd hot game. Plunkett in particular often too expensive.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

what does Rashid do now? Sri Lanka one-dayers in Oct but as far as I know he doesn't have any overseas 20/20 contracts atm. Surely has to be a better balance available between specializing and not playing enough cricket

Exactly not sure problem be some Mickey Mouse 2020 he can play in but the England spinners spot is there for the taking for him, such a dry summer he’ll get a lot of help, tour to sub continent etc shame

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
At Old Trafford for Lancs v Yorks. 14 overs each because of rain.

Lancs batted first, 176-2. Great innings!
I am a bluff ol' traditionalist when it comes to cricket, but what a finish to a 14 over a side game! Pleased for the youngster Lester in only his 5th match bowling at the death to Root/Williamson!

tisza

Hope the selectors are looking for batsmen who can play spin urgently. Sri Lanka look a far bigger threat atm. Ripping South Africa to pieces this series and opening with spinners.

Users who are viewing this thread