this summer's cricket (2 Viewers)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Right I’ve never seen Ollie Pope play but (and this thread will need to keep going for 15 years) I think he’ll be a massive success and have a long England career, Ian Bell like, but I hope for Pope’s sake he just kicks on a little more!

I still think Bell should have averaged 52 not 42 with his ability, if he’d have been Aussie with an Aussie mentality he would have I feel, think he used to put himself under too much pressure sometimes.

tisza

Right I’ve never seen Ollie Pope play but (and this thread will need to keep going for 15 years) I think he’ll be a massive success and have a long England career, Ian Bell like, but I hope for Pope’s sake he just kicks on a little more!

I still think Bell should have averaged 52 not 42 with his ability, if he’d have been Aussie with an Aussie mentality he would have I feel, think he used to put himself under too much pressure sometimes.
Now he's picked they need to stick with him. Still would prefer to see him lower than 4 for 1st few games. Still a brave move considering how Hameed went.
Remember first seeing Steve Smith and could not understand how he got (let alone stayed) in Aussie side.
Bell's problems were mental at the beginning - let himself get bullied a bit. But as he grew up things got better and he was a terrific batsman for England (did play for some very ordinary England teams early on as well)

Terry Gibson's perm

In the old days of bbc a rain break used to bring some wonderful highlights of cricket from the past sky are showing a game in pyjamas from this year

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Rains ruining this test.

Good toss to win India 11-2 before the rain, if they can nick Kohli early on and have them 30-3 you’d fancy England to roll India for 150ish if it’s like it was before they went off!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Tomorrow looks best day of the test weatherwise if England can bat all day get as near to 200 lead, then Sunday looks much the same as today and Monday not too bad, got a decent chance of forcing a result despite probably losing half the test to the rain!

tisza

Keep saying but when Anderson hits his straps he's a pleasure to watch. Not just the wicket total but possibly our best quick ever.
Down to the batsmen to show some bottle and set-up the win even allowing for the weather.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Roles reversed and this is a wicket turning square in Mumbai and England have been rolled over cheaply, India would bat big and then knock England over in 2 sessions on the 5th day.
Time for England to do it in their backyard!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Comfortably India’s morning in perfect batting conditions.

England wasting 2 reviews on plumb LBW’s.

Need a Bairstow and Buttler counter attack this afternoon and a lead of 150 min!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Missed Woakes inns but delighted for him, seems like a really good lad, played against him as a kid when he was mainly a batsman was very very good but not arrogant!
Fair play to him, how does Stokes get back in this side.....

Gazolba

I watched the highlights on Youtube. Some of the balls from Anderson and Broad were just unplayable.

chiefdave

Think this will raise more questions about ECB's handing of the situation. Suspending someone who has now turned out to be not found guilty of anything.
Can’t argue with that!
Anyone that wasn't famous and it would have been. As soon as the papers got hold of it was always going to end up in court.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
They’ve had a scrap, neither side wanted to press charge, CPS have because of who it was, they’ve gone with a big charge of affray and it’s not paid off
Yup, prosecution tried to reduce the charge and judge refused, so they must have known then there was little chance of success. As CD said, if every weekend fight ended up in court it'd be ridiculous!

tisza

Amazes me Hales got away with it. Kicking and stamping on a guy on the ground. Whether it should have gone to court is a matter for debate but it was still unacceptable drunken thuggish behaviour that shouldn't be ignored by ECB Papers now saying CPS wanted to add 2 charges of ABH which would have taken it to a whole another level

Macca

This is great news. There are a couple of people who's eye sockets I fancy fracturing. I assume it's fair game?

Terry Gibson's perm

They’ve had a scrap, neither side wanted to press charge, CPS have because of who it was, they’ve gone with a big charge of affray and it’s not paid off

Then heads should roll at the cps as they seem to have little accountability as the costs here will be huge

chiefdave

Then heads should roll at the cps as they seem to have little accountability as the costs here will be huge
Going for affray was a mistake. That requires a bystander to reasonably believe they were in danger. Given that on the video you can see people just getting on with their night and even that a chap was happily stood there filming it that wasn't going to stick.

But then GBH was unlikely to stick when neither side wanted to press charges.

Whole thing was a complete waste of time and money.

Covstu

Going for affray was a mistake. That requires a bystander to reasonably believe they were in danger. Given that on the video you can see people just getting on with their night and even that a chap was happily stood there filming it that wasn't going to stick.

Agree a handshake and a day out to the cricket would have sorted this one!

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

The below is quite interesting. I assume as neither party wanted to press charges, the CPS thought they wouldn't get ABH, so went for Affray? -

Assault: intentionally or recklessly placing a person in fear of the immediate application of unlawful force.

Battery: intentional or reckless application of unlawful force to a person.

ABH: an assault (or battery) which results in some injury to the victim that is of more than a trifling nature, e.g. a bruise, a sprain etc. There need be no intention to cause such an injury on the part of the defendant, as long as the offence of assault or battery is made out then if a sufficient injury is the result the defendant is guilty of ABH. So, for example, you raise your fist at someone (an assault) intending not to strike them but they fall over and sprain their wrist. That is now ABH. Of course, charging standards exceed the legal definition and black eyes and bruises are classed only as a battery.

GBH: there are two types of GBH/wounding. The first is a "section 20" which requires and assault/battery with the intention of at least some harm being caused (even minor harm). If the injury caused is serious or is a wound (an injury penetrating the whole skin) then the offence of GBH/wounding is made out. The second type is a "section 18" which requires a serious injury following an assault/battery and an intention to inflict such injury or resist arrest.

Affray: a public order offence in which a person uses or physically threatens unlawful violence towards another. His conduct must be such that an ordinary person of reasonable firmness would be put in fear for their personal safety.

Some examples:
1. You run at someone with a raised fist: assault.
2. You kick someone: battery.
3. You punch someone and break their nose: ABH.
4. You punch someone knowing that you will injure them and they fall over and break their leg: GBH (section 20).
5. You stab someone: Wounding (section 18).
6. You start a fight on a crowded Tube train: affray.

Users who are viewing this thread