This Summer (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

We already are. Christ he’s a jumped up nobody who ran 3 non league clubs all who hate him and Newport County

Why are you so obsessed with supporting him. He’s a commercial manager massively above his pay grade
I’m not obsessed with anything other than my family and my faith. Oh and ccfc. I think with ccfc you are just overwhelmingly pessimistic and it’s been right for long but the last 5 years you’ve had to use your brain a little more to get things right. He’s got lots wrong and lots right for me. It can’t be easy running things the was they have to be. How are you judging success if you think he’s terrible in the job

Skybluebeliever

There won’t be anywhere near the money sloshing about in the championship this summer than previous seasons, unless it’s prem. clubs bidding for our players I can’t see many championship clubs paying some of these fees quoted.
I think we will be looking to free up wages to enable MR to bring in potential better players and perhaps 5/6 spending the same in wages
Look at Waghorn, Walker ,Kelly and perhaps one other on high wages not in the first 11 , this could free up 40k a week

SlowerThanPlatt

I think we will be looking to free up wages to enable MR to bring in potential better players and perhaps 5/6 spending the same in wages
Look at Waghorn, Walker ,Kelly and perhaps one other on high wages not in the first 11 , this could free up 40k a week

40k between them a week?!

mark82

I think the issue is, due to the model under which we currently operate, do we really have the luxury of holding out for a larger fee?

If a bid came in that the club feels is reasonable (ie it would tie them over until the next season) then I'd put a fair amount of money on the fact that they'd accept within an instant.

Don't disagree. I'm hoping we won't sell under value but the noises made in January were a little concerning.

ccfc1234

I know yea, imagine wanting to sign someone with 19 goals and 5 assists from 47 games in the championship for a teams thats upper mid table at best hahaha hes well shit aint he Godden hahaha no one will want him at all hes the worst finisher ever well shit, didnt single handedly score the goals to get the club up as league winners either, hes fucking awful hahaha what a shit player he is...... 😳😳
If A big money offer came in I would absolutely take it. Given his form and goals per minute ratio this season he could be considered a saleable asset. He is one we could replace.

With regards to the Boddy debate, I have to largely agree with @Grendel about how the club is being run, I would expand my concern to the work of Badlan too, we have signed lots of players for the U23s some on quite large contracts, Taraves aside this model has been fairly fruitless for the 1st team. Eccles who looks promising was one of our own. Some of our big wage signings have also struggled.

This summer Badlan and Boddy will be under the microscope and we will really see what they are about. If Hamer, Vik leave for less the 7 and 10 million respectively we will have once again under sold our best assets.

If we sign another Hilsner, Kastaneer, Reid, De Costa, Waghorn (there are more) something needs to be done on the recruitment side too. For the money those players have represent very poor business and a negative return on investment.

SlowerThanPlatt

If A big money offer came in I would absolutely take it. Given his form and goals per minute ratio this season he could be considered a saleable asset. He is one we could replace.

With regards to the Boddy debate, I have to largely agree with @Grendel about how the club is being run, I would expand my concern to the work of Badlan too, we have signed lots of players for the U23s some on quite large contracts, Taraves aside this model has been fairly fruitless for the 1st team. Eccles who looks promising was one of our own. Some of our big wage signings have also struggled.

This summer Badlan and Boddy will be under the microscope and we will really see what they are about. If Hamer, Vik leave for less the 7 and 10 million respectively we will have once again under sold our best assets.

If we sign another Hilsner, Kastaneer, Reid, De Costa, Waghorn (there are more) something needs to be done on the recruitment side too. For the money those players have represent very poor business and a negative return on investment.
McCallum was signed as development. Guess you could argue Hyam too but he already had league experience and was straight in the first team squad

larry_david

Hyam was brought in league 2 though so had a chance at lower level to grow with us. Reid has been brought in during the championship and hasn't had the chance to grow into/with the team. MR has spoken fairly positively about him recently so I imagine he may get a chance once the play offs are officially over.

It does look like the writing is on the wall for waghorn, walker and Kelly. And as others said earlier, the u23s will need a clear out.

slowpoke

Hyam was brought in league 2 though so had a chance at lower level to grow with us. Reid has been brought in during the championship and hasn't had the chance to grow into/with the team. MR has spoken fairly positively about him recently so I imagine he may get a chance once the play offs are officially over.

It does look like the writing is on the wall for waghorn, walker and Kelly. And as others said earlier, the u23s will need a clear out.
Who out of the U/23s need clearing out ?

Terry Gibson's perm

Who out of the U/23s need clearing out ?

Ngandu
Drysdale

To start with but there will be others had we stopped in league one they may have had time to develop, Ngandu has been nowhere near the first team even when we have injuries.

harvey098

So without 15 goals and one of the best creators in the league we’d be fine

They’re both brilliant players.. Gyok does more than just score goals but if we hadn’t signed him we would’ve signed someone else. Maybe they don’t get 15 but to say the replacement would’ve been so bad that we’d’ve got relegated is a bit of a stretch.

As for COH, he’s such an asset for us but I don’t think his 3 goals, 6 assists and fantastic work rate have saved us from relegation. Again, if he’s not there then someone else (admittedly poorer) comes in and and might do half of what COH does but we still don’t get relegated 😂

Which one of the three would you keep if we could only keep one btw?

ccfc1234

McCallum was signed as development. Guess you could argue Hyam too but he already had league experience and was straight in the first team squad
He is a great example of the model functioning how it should. Was signed Mcallum from the Jamie Vardy academy in 2018 and Badlan deserves credit. However we have signed a copious number of players in this mould since and none have really paid off anything like Mcallum did. As I said huge summer for those who oversee the outgoings and incoming players. Get it right and the club will move forward and we could easily be a top 6 side. Get it wrong and we might be battling at the wrong end of the table again.

Frostie

How many clubs have a better recruitment record than us for similar outlays?

Skybluebeliever

Wow, think our wage structure needs a review! Even high estimates Waghorn 15k and Walker 10k leaves 15k between Kelly and another player not in the side.
Kelly is club captain , is on his 3rd contract with the club , he had a one year contract initially , then 3 years and now 2 years each of these years would have meant a increment , he will be one of our top earners , I think waghorn is close to 12k

normally players will get an automatic increase for each year of their contract

ccfc1234

How many clubs have a better recruitment record than us for similar outlays?
Ridiculous question as quantifying that would be pure guess work due to the number of possible variables. There are lots of clubs in the football league who are really astute with their finances and accurate with their player trading.

I know you think Badlen is a real genius, I just can't easily move past the comments he made about Kastaneer the guy was so far off the mark I would have put Badlan on some sort of capability plan just for the public embarrassment his quotes in the press created to his own reputation. Fair enough take a punt on a YouTube video but don't double down in the press with comments about him being above our level. Not great for the other players and most crucially it makes you sound really clueless in your role.
I think some forget when Badlan joined when we were a lower league team and the skill and methodology needed to recruit that level is vastly different from what is required to spot a premier league star in the making. With a track record of signing players such as Hilsner and DaCosta for a championship club (with Hilsner average on loan at L2 level and DaCosta signed for the championship on decent money and shipped out as being a liability pretty quickly.
Add to that the following names Kastaneer, Waghorn (on huge wages), Danny Cashman, Declan Drysdale, Julian Dacosta, Josh Reid, Charlie Wakefield, Dexter Walters, Reedce Allisani, Abu Agogo, Junior Brown, Wes Jobello this is to name but a few. There is some mitigation with 1 or 2 but the picture is mixed at best. There have been some successes with Hamer being the biggest for the Badlan model but I think people forget the influence of Vivash getting players like Mattsen and JCS on board from Chelsea its not Badlan. We have had a player on loan from our Vivash links before Badlan arrived and we would if he left due to the Vivash link.

I want Badlan to succeed, genuinely, but it's a huge role given how key trading is to a club like ours. This summer is huge for Badlan to show his worth at this level and I am absolutely hoping his targets are what we need but IF they are not and we sign more Histlner, Dacosta, Waghorn and Kastaneer types and waste cash in the process the club should consider their options.

Frostie

Ridiculous question as quantifying that would be pure guess work due to the number of possible variables. There are lots of clubs in the football league who are really astute with their finances and accurate with their player trading.

I know you think Badlen is a real genius, I just can't easily move past the comments he made about Kastaneer the guy was so far off the mark I would have put Badlan on some sort of capability plan just for the public embarrassment his quotes in the press created to his own reputation. Fair enough take a punt on a YouTube video but don't double down in the press with comments about him being above our level. Not great for the other players and most crucially it makes you sound really clueless in your role.
I think some forget when Badlan joined when we were a lower league team and the skill and methodology needed to recruit that level is vastly different from what is required to spot a premier league star in the making. With a track record of signing players such as Hilsner and DaCosta for a championship club (with Hilsner average on loan at L2 level and DaCosta signed for the championship on decent money and shipped out as being a liability pretty quickly.
Add to that the following names Kastaneer, Waghorn (on huge wages), Danny Cashman, Declan Drysdale, Julian Dacosta, Josh Reid, Charlie Wakefield, Dexter Walters, Reedce Allisani, Abu Agogo, Junior Brown, Wes Jobello this is to name but a few. There is some mitigation with 1 or 2 but the picture is mixed at best. There have been some successes with Hamer being the biggest for the Badlan model but I think people forget the influence of Vivash getting players like Mattsen and JCS on board from Chelsea its not Badlan. We have had a player on loan from our Vivash links before Badlan arrived and we would if he left due to the Vivash link.

I want Badlan to succeed, genuinely, but it's a huge role given how key trading is to a club like ours. This summer is huge for Badlan to show his worth at this level and I am absolutely hoping his targets are what we need but IF they are not and we sign more Histlner, Dacosta, Waghorn and Kastaneer types and waste cash in the process the club should consider their options.

Understand your position but I think you're massively underestimating how difficult recruitment is.

Every single transfer you make is a risk. There is no guaranteed successes even when buying elite talent (think Torres & Shevchenko to Chelsea, Alexis Sanchez to United etc.) but largely buying proven quality = lower risk but naturally = bigger outlays.

Clubs with less budget, such as ourselves, are trying to buy players that can compete in one of the toughest leagues in the world for very little outlay. Naturally this means that the risk on every single transfer is even greater so in truth you'd expect the majority of them to fail. Of the names you list only 3 were even signed to play at this level.

So there will always be missteps but just bagging one Sam McCallum, one Gus Hamer or one Viktor Gyökeres more than covers the outlay on the "failures" & if you look at our record under the current recruitment structure it's nothing short of exceptional that a team with so little spent on it can even compete at this level.
Do you not think it's pretty decent that a squad assembled for a total transfer fee outlay of approx. £4m can be contesting a playoff place?
Some teams in this league pay that to a single player in a year.

You are right that there are other clubs that do it well too but I guarantee you they have also made signings that haven't quite cut the mustard too & I'd wager they spent far more on them in the process.

P.S. What level is Kastaneer playing at now?

SkyblueTexan

Gus is probably the one I'd let go. Yes, he's good but O'Hare gets us up the pitch and has a work ethic. Strikers are expensive and he has a lot of good attributes that would be hard to find an adequate replacement for.

The other potential one that might get interest is Sheaf, and that would be a difficult decision between him and Hamer. Both offer different things to that bit of midfield that are useful.
If I were deciding between Hamer and Sheaf, I’d sell the latter all day - not that Sheaf hasn’t improved vastly which I think he has this season. However, I think we could find someone better to take his place, more so than Hamer.

Saddlebrains

@Skybluebeliever if for example in a perfect world we manage to rid

Pask
Drysdale
Jones
Shipley
Dacosta
Hillsner
Kelly
Waghorn
Walker

Are we more around the 60 65k a week mark available to spend?

Skybluebeliever

Pask
Drysdale
Jones
Shipley
Dacosta
Hillsner
Kelly
Waghorn
Walker

Probably just below this

this will be about timings if you could guarantee all these could go as early as possible and then bring in the targets. It would work but it never works this way

SlowerThanPlatt

Pask
Drysdale
Jones
Shipley
Dacosta
Hillsner
Kelly
Waghorn
Walker

Da Costa and Hilssner will be extremely hard to “get rid”. They’re on nice contracts here, better then they’ll elsewhere and neither are playing regularly at their loan clubs.

I see a Kastaneer like contract termination

larry_david

The decision to give Kelly an extended contract looks completely bizarre
It looks bizarre now because he has been injured all season but let's not forget he was apart ofnour survival last season including smashing into the post to save one off the line which cost him 3 months out injured. It's more than reasonable to think he would have been given another contract and slowly phased out for this year which most of us suggested would and should happen

SlowerThanPlatt

You grossly overstate this Chelsea link, we’re not exactly getting access to players we wouldn’t be able to without it.

Users who are viewing this thread