Things that annoy you (24 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

some smart arse singer on hootenanny singing " We'll take a cup of kindnesship"
oh really ?

robbiekeane

The tip entitlement is creeping its way over the Atlantic to us. It’s still far worse in the USA. But every time I’ve been over there I’ve found myself reminding some staff that it’s a courtesy, not their entitlement. Depends how much of a c**t I think they are.
I just do $1 a drink but tend to sit at the bar over there. Being prompted to tip by a card machine when going up to a bar to get served in the UK is a joke.
To be fair they don’t get paid a minimum wage over there because tips is supposed to make up a significant part of their pay.

It’s fucked up, very problematic, and it needs to change, but the way to do that isn’t to not tip the service staff on an individual level who are just getting. Needs legislative change.

Actually has its roots from slavery too!

In Australia the request the tips has started to sneak its way over here but everybody unanimously just puts in 0% tip whenever asked. Like fuck off you get a very good wage here

robbiekeane

Airports. What the fuck happens to humans psychologically that causes them to act in such weird irrational and infuriating ways when they get to an airport and/or on an aeroplane? I would love to see some kind of psychological study.

1.5 hour flight and a (big fat) woman was literally leaning on me in the aisle at the end as I took the 7 seconds to take my bag down from the overhead locker. Like could not physically handle the possibility of a 7 second delay to her journey.

Then gets off the plan on the tarmac and is the slowest person there and everyone just walks past her anyway….

shmmeee

To be fair they don’t get paid a minimum wage over there because tips is supposed to make up a significant part of their pay.

It’s fucked up, very problematic, and it needs to change, but the way to do that isn’t to not tip the service staff on an individual level who are just getting. Needs legislative change.

In Australia the request the tips has started to sneak its way over here but everybody unanimously just puts in 0% tip whenever asked. Like fuck off you get a very good wage here

Get a different job then? It’s not a customers job to be guilted into subsidising wages. And in a lot of states any shortfall below minimum wage is topped up.

Sick Boy

Airports. What the fuck happens to humans psychologically that causes them to act in such weird irrational and infuriating ways when they get to an airport and/or on an aeroplane? I would love to see some kind of psychological study.

1.5 hour flight and a (big fat) woman was literally leaning on me in the aisle at the end as I took the 7 seconds to take my bag down from the overhead locker. Like could not physically handle the possibility of a 7 second delay to her journey.

Then gets off the plan on the tarmac and is the slowest person there and everyone just walks past her anyway….
The worst are those people who barge into you when you’re in the aisle seat. I literally had to push someone by their rucksack the other day because they were about to whack me in the face with it.

Sick Boy

I always pay and tip in cash over there.

Mcbean

I guess the tipping thing on machines got going during lockdown as cash was frowned on ! I have avoided US because I hate mandatory tipping

Tommo1993

They circle the percentage they want on the bottom of the receipt, and sometimes tap it with their pen.

Sorry! $0 for you!

shmmeee

TIL the Tory position is a living wage for workers and the Labour position is workers living off the kindness of the rich!

Tipping is the most right wing of beliefs out there. You want to guilt people who might have less money than the server into paying wages so the business makes more money rather than encourage unionisation and minimum wage laws??

NorthernWisdom

TIL the Tory position is a living wage for workers and the Labour position is workers living off the kindness of the rich!

Tipping is the most right wing of beliefs out there. You want to guilt people who might have less money than the server into paying wages so the business makes more money rather than encourage unionisation and minimum wage laws??
It's the just get another job that BSB rightfully pulled out. Like it's that easy.

shmmeee

It's the just get another job that BSB rightfully pulled out. Like it's that easy.

Id argue in the US economy right now it is!

But the point is if you won’t fight the system leave it or stop complaining. Don’t expect people who may be poorer than you to subsidise you.

There’s a minimum wage in the vast majority of states. The only ones still fighting it are a handful of red states and they’re using your rhetoric. All the arguments for are consumer and business owner focused.

Tipping should be for good service, not a way for employers to dodge their obligations. At a time of labour shortage like we’re in post Covid, the correct way to fix this in that political system is absolutely to find another job. Certainly easier than legislative change or unions becoming accepted in the States.

Marty

If you buy using the app in a Sizzler pub, you automatically get charged a tip and you need to click a button to not pay it. Bit naughty imo,

I don't like being asked to leave a charitable donation at self service checkouts either, you're the multi-national business not me, if you feel that strong about it, make the donation yourself.

Brighton Sky Blue

No you’re right much better to enshrine poverty wages as some kind of point of national pride. Silly me.

Next time teachers strike I guess it’s my fault for not slipping them a fiver a parents evening.
‘Just get another job’ What if that’s all there is in that area?

I want these workers to get paid properly in the first place, likely through unionising, rather than have the employers create this nonsense situation where the customer is paying even more for whatever it is because they can’t be arsed.

FWIW I encountered more than one SLT member who said that if teachers didn’t like their pay and conditions they could leave. So I did. Not everyone can.

robbiekeane

Get a different job then? It’s not a customers job to be guilted into subsidising wages. And in a lot of states any shortfall below minimum wage is topped up.
What a ridiculous thing to say

Also the minimum wage itself is like 3 bucks an hour or something for service staff

Yes it’s not right that customers have to tip - it’s not really a tip anymore if compulsory. The reality is though that you aren’t subsidizing their wages…you’re just seeing an artificially deflated menu price. If tipping goes away, the menu prices just go up 20%. That’s how it works basically everywhere else in the world, and that’s how I’d prefer it. Interestingly, in NYC a couple of places actually tried to say no tipping allowed but weirdly it didnt really work because it’s so ingrained in the American culture (Joe’s Crab Shack Tried Getting Rid of Tips. It Didn’t Last Long. (Published 2016))

It’s a ridiculous system but it needs a legally enforced overhaul…just saying they can get another job because shmeee from SBT doesn’t want to pay a tip isn’t going to do anything is it apart from fuck over individuals who are already probably among the poorer members of the workforce

robbiekeane

The worst are those people who barge into you when you’re in the aisle seat. I literally had to push someone by their rucksack the other day because they were about to whack me in the face with it.
It’s bonkers. Self awareness and spacial awareness just goes out the window completely like you say. I’m not sure if people just get mad anxiety or something and don’t know how to control themselves

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve had this waiting at certain bus stops. No queuing, just shove people out of the way so you get on first. Then if you find yourself at the front by arriving earlier, the same shovers will tell you to be considerate to those getting off as if you were going to shove them too.

Robinshio

ever tried getting off a train at Milton keynes -
the hoardes of would be Londoners dont let you off
Tactic 1 - Just stand there until they make room, by which point people have come via other doors, and taken all available seats
if still dont move
Tactic 2 - One massive swing of the laptop bag as you push through them, always gets somebody in the shins

Tommo1993

There’s this weird impatience, seriousness, pretentiousness, self importance, unnecessary anxiety from people around airports. Flight/ gate not even open for another 2 hours but will race around, barge through people as if they’re about to miss it. Obviously they load the plane in groups, call out for group 1 and some twat rushes to the desk thinking they’ve priority over everyone despite being in group 5/6. Taking more room than they need in overhead luggage compartments. Touchdown, plane still not docked, doors not open, everyone stand up and queue. Why?

robbiekeane

There’s this weird impatience, seriousness, pretentiousness, self importance, unnecessary anxiety from people around airports. Flight/ gate not even open for another 2 hours but will race around, barge through people as if they’re about to miss it. Obviously they load the plane in groups, call out for group 1 and some twat rushes to the desk thinking they’ve priority over everyone despite being in group 5/6. Taking more room than they need in overhead luggage compartments. Touchdown, plane still not docked, doors not open, everyone stand up and queue. Why?
And while they are figuring out if it’s their turn to board, they think well I’ll go stand right near the entrance to the boarding line so that other people who’s turn it is to actually board, have to awkwardly squeeze past me

Baggage claim…if I’m standing about 3 or 4 feet away from the carousel (sometimes there’s literally a line drawn) people will stroll right past me and stand between me and the carousel

Pricks the lot of them

BodicoteSkyBlue

And while they are figuring out if it’s their turn to board, they think well I’ll go stand right near the entrance to the boarding line so that other people who’s turn it is to actually board, have to awkwardly squeeze past me

Baggage claim…if I’m standing about 3 or 4 feet away from the carousel (sometimes there’s literally a line drawn) people will stroll right past me and stand between me and the carousel

Pricks the lot of them
Don’t forget those parents who think it’s a good idea to let their kids struggle to offload a 30kg suitcase from the carousel, while they stand around on the ‘phone!
Every aspect of airports grinds my gears.

Sick Boy

Pricks the lot of them
Add to this British people who form a queue in a foreign airport more than an hour before takeoff and deciding it’s the queue to board even though it’s in the completely wrong place and then becoming ultra passive aggressive when they’re no longer at the front.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Don’t forget those parents who think it’s a good idea to let their kids struggle to offload a 30kg suitcase from the carousel, while they stand around on the ‘phone!
Every aspect of airports grinds my gears.
Or who let their kids go anywhere near the carousel despite the signs telling them not to!
Oh, and parents who let their kids ride in shopping trolleys (other than the baby seat, obvs).

Users who are viewing this thread