Things that annoy you (28 Viewers)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Few pages back someone said "Potholes annoy them" I'am annoyed at the filling in of the said potholes. Here in Bedworth last few days they have been doing this
and the tarmac is coming out already .

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Tesco's rob dogs went in the other day to get some biscuits for a old lady we know last time when the wife bought them they were a £1 same price as all other shops £1- 25 this time Walked 100 yards to Iceland ( frozen food shop just for David O Day ) and paid £1.

David O'Day

Tesco's rob dogs went in the other day to get some biscuits for a old lady we know last time when the wife bought them they were a £1 same price as all other shops £1- 25 this time Walked 100 yards to Iceland ( frozen food shop just for David O Day ) and paid £1.
I know Iceland is a shop mate, it's where all the poor folk shop. They're queuing outside the one in town in the morning waiting for it to open.

1nilandwe...

How is it? It's a bit of an over the top reaction.

Would people complain if there was a sketch/tv show where someone dressed as an SS officer?
It is a bit over the top maybe, but clearly the flag is a symbol that represents something more than they realised, so an apology is appropriate I'd say.

If two guys on Japanese tv performed a knockabout song and dance number dressed in lederhosen, waving swastika flags about, I'm pretty sure that eyebrows would be raised in a similar way.

I'm not suggesting that anything sinister was meant. I'm not even suggesting that anybody involved should have spotted it. But it was an error of judgement and an apology was fair. Would the act have been diminished in any way had they worn plain white, or red headbands? Or no headbands at all?

shmmeee

Being culturally insensitive, you mean?

How is it culturally insensitive?
It is a bit over the top maybe, but clearly the flag is a symbol that represents something more than they realised, so an apology is appropriate I'd say.

If two guys on Japanese tv performed a knockabout song and dance number dressed in lederhosen, waving swastika flags about, I'm pretty sure that eyebrows would be raised in a similar way.

I'm not suggesting that anything sinister was meant. I'm not even suggesting that anybody involved should have spotted it. But it was an error of judgement and an apology was fair. Would the act have been diminished in any way had they worn plain white, or red headbands? Or no headbands at all?

Japan uses that flag. It’s more akin for former colonies complaining about someone using a Union Flag.

1nilandwe...

How is it culturally insensitive?

Japan uses that flag. It’s more akin for former colonies complaining about someone using a Union Flag.
It's not akin to that at all. The rising sun flag is much more symbolic of the Japanese military and it's previous actions. There isn't a movement (as far as I'm aware) to ban the Union Jack or remove it as our national flag. However, I wouldn't recommend a foreign tv station run a skit involving people dressing up as morris dancers, waving a British Empire flag around.

Maybe culturally insensitive isn't the right phrase, but insensitive certainly is. The show seemed unaware of the strength of feeling surrounding the flag in the region.

Nick

Administrator
It's not akin to that at all. The rising sun flag is much more symbolic of the Japanese military and it's previous actions. There isn't a movement (as far as I'm aware) to ban the Union Jack or remove it as our national flag. However, I wouldn't recommend a foreign tv station run a skit involving people dressing up as morris dancers, waving a British Empire flag around.

Maybe culturally insensitive isn't the right phrase, but insensitive certainly is. The show seemed unaware of the strength of feeling surrounding the flag in the region.

Or they were just dressed up as Karate Kid?

shmmeee

There are movements to ban the Union Flag though: Union Flag BAN: Students at Margaret Thatcher college demand ‘COLONIALIST’ symbol is axed

And again the Japanese use the flag right now. It’s the flag for the Japanese Navy and they use it a lot in media and the like as well. The issue comes entirely from other countries, just like a hypothetical ex colony complaining about the U.K. flag.

No Japanese person would be offended by it and in reality most Koreans wouldn’t care either. It’s hardly comparable to the Swastika or even the rebel flag.

The complete lack of nuance, proportion, or context from people trying to make the world sanitised really does more harm than good. This stuff doesn’t make anyone a better person, it just makes most less likely to listen next time IMHO.

1nilandwe...

Or they were just dressed up as Karate Kid?
h1Mv5tll6opvSeb7x-nGaH2sVoXDR35FuiP-0XXX76Is9pnp-rcPtgmg86BB5DiYh_iQRXjdsjGVdZ9WwjFmTj0qGZ3Fa01F7CqMgOLi8_u4_2655qzpPrfQtRcGtucfxlSNvqHz1g

1nilandwe...

There are movements to ban the Union Flag though: Union Flag BAN: Students at Margaret Thatcher college demand ‘COLONIALIST’ symbol is axed

And again the Japanese use the flag right now. It’s the flag for the Japanese Navy and they use it a lot in media and the like as well. The issue comes entirely from other countries, just like a hypothetical ex colony complaining about the U.K. flag.

No Japanese person would be offended by it and in reality most Koreans wouldn’t care either. It’s hardly comparable to the Swastika or even the rebel flag.

The complete lack of nuance, proportion, or context from people trying to make the world sanitised really does more harm than good. This stuff doesn’t make anyone a better person, it just makes most less likely to listen next time IMHO.
Okay, so that article does not reference a movement to ban the Union flag. It is a small student group voting to not fly the flag on a particular day in a particular place. The headline is a classic clickbait dog-whistle.

Yes, the Japanese currently use the flag, and have done for yonks. The chances of it being banned in any form are pretty remote. However, currently it is a bit of a hot topic. The decision to wear it on prime time tv was naive. There were dozens of other designs that they could have worn to represent Japan, or karate, or whatever the hell they were trying to say, without using that one. It's not as if they were providing any cutting edge comedy or biting satire.

ccfc92

You see that it has been superimposed onto the original black and white design, right?

Yes, I can see lol. I do appreciate what you're saying, but I just don't think it deserves the amount of media coverage it is getting.

Nothing to do with "culturally insensitive", particularly as they received 0 complaints.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Something that annoys me.The way energy firms rip off people of £100's who are on standard tariffs usually people who are older or have no access to a computer.People who can ill afford it.I know from their point giving details on the bills of the cheapest tariffs not in their interest but the energy ombudsman should insist these details are sent out with every bill.Big six are the worst and British Gas top of the lot.I am so glad people most people have got wise and have switched accounts

Users who are viewing this thread