There is no pending land deal... (2 Viewers)

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Have you guys deliberately waited half an hour to publish this piece following CCFC's Five point Plan Article Simon?

I spoke with Tim Fisher about this piece 15mins before the "plan" was published. I didn't know it existed until Tim told me at the end of our conversation that it would be going up. Coincidence in this instance.

martcov

No don't try to put words in my mouth, what I'm saying is that due to 'commercial sensitivity' they wouldn't receive a comment one way or the other. They're not obliged to, it all depends on how the question they asked was phrased!

So, FOI requests are a waste of time and Tim will reveal his plans in the new year? Is that what you are saying? In which new year would that be? And why do we have FOIs in the first place? How should we phrase the question? Why the secrecy anyway? - see below ( an Extract from your earlier posts regarding SISU/ Otium's aims ):

That can only be achieved by:-

Building trust with the supporters
• Success on the field
Clear communication
• Having a progressive fully-integrated first team-Academy model

wingy

I approached him.

Many were asking what the council's stance was now ACL had been sold and whether Wasps would help to develop land around the Ricoh.

As the man responsible for the city's "Local Plan" he was the obvious candidate to speak with.

He addressed both issues, but whether you are convinced by what he had to say on either issue is a different matter. But at least you have some response to scrutinise and judge for yourselves now.

However, the reality is, any "land deal" seems extremely unlikely to be within the city boundary anyway.

Thanks for the reply ,that's what I expected ,only It's a question we've all pondered on here for 12-18 months and now Is taken as an Electioneering tactic.

skybluetony176

The FA are unlikely to ever comment on what they perceive to be an issue for the Football League.

The club has a deal in place which allows them to play in Coventry for the next four years. I'm sure the FL will see this as the ideal response to any stadium questions - at least until a preferred site is officially unveiled.

Thanks Simon

Although I'd anticipate that answer from the FL too as a CCFC supporter I still want them held to account. So be a good little tea boy and run along and do it ;)

Chipfat

By the words coming out of all parties asked its not going to be within any boundary.... well only the boundary it could be is up in the sky on the land called pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RFC

So your saying that the Telegragh has not made the FOI requests and are now lying to its readers?

They have to give an answer by law I believe. Even if that answer is no comment due to commercial sensitivity or even confidentiality.

But none did. They all gave a flat no. They can't say no if the answer is yes.

Oh yes they can, it depends on how the question is asked & phrased. Related to a former Council Chair who made me aware of what goes on and how they handle it and get round it!

The Wasps deal was being discussed for 6 to 12 months before it actually happened & no leaks on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldfiver

Granted - it's pretty similar, but there are a couple more organisations on the list now our FOIs have been included - Environment Agency and Dept for Culture, Media and Sport.

We have been submitting regular FOIs, and I believe the Trust have adopted a similar strategy. We ran a similar story last year.

About time for an update - and not everyone reads SBT. They should, but they don't.

Simon

Please get someone legal to clarify what can and cannot be disclosed under FOI

All the information I have says anything commercially sensitive cannot be disclosed

oldfiver

We received extremely clear responses to all of the requests. There was no withholding information due to "commercial sensitivity". All organisations categorically denied talks with anyone over construction of a large sports stadium.

Quite different to withholding information.

But if they cannot comment for commercial reasons but the answer is "yes" - how are they supposed to reply?

They cannot say "no comment" because that leads to speculation why they did not say "no"

martcov

Oh yes they can, it depends on how the question is asked & phrased. Related to a former Council Chair who made me aware of what goes on and how they handle it and get round it!

The Wasps deal was being discussed for 6 to 12 months before it actually happened & no leaks on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was there an FOI about the Wasps deal? What does 6 to 12 months mean? Either it was being discussed 12 months before or it was being discussed 6 months before. Or was it discussed between 12 and 6 months before and then nothing happened for 6 months? Make your mind up o knowledgeable one.

skybluetony176

Who put FOI's in place then 6-12 months ago to find out if they were talking to Wasps about a possible deal to take over the Ricoh?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Simon

Please get someone legal to clarify what can and cannot be disclosed under FOI

All the information I have says anything commercially sensitive cannot be disclosed

Commercially sensitive information does not have to be disclosed - but the organisation would have to state that it was refusing to disclose the information for that reason.

That did not happen in the responses we received. All organisations categorically dismissed taking part in any correspondence or meetings over the construction of a large sports stadium.

Furthermore, the phrasing of our FOIs sought to eliminate the issue of commercial confidentiality by speaking in general terms about the construction of a large sports stadium - with no reference to any parties involved.

For reference - here is the phrasing of the question we sent to the local authorities:

"1) Please could you confirm if the council has engaged in conversations or correspondence with any individual / organisation about any proposed new large sporting stadia with spectator seating within the council boundary area over the past 12 months?

"2) Has the council received any indication that an application for new large sporting stadia with spectator seating is expected in the future?

"3) If so - can you please identify the specific location(s) discussed as a possible site for the construction of potential new large sporting stadia with spectator seating in the past 12 months. If the exact location cannot be named, could you please identify the rough geographical area within the council boundary."

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Commercially sensitive information does not have to be disclosed - but the organisation would have to state that it was refusing to disclose the information for that reason.

That did not happen in the responses we received. All organisations categorically dismissed taking part in any correspondence or meetings over the construction of a large sports stadium.

Furthermore, the phrasing of our FOIs sought to eliminate the issue of commercial confidentiality by speaking in general terms about the construction of a large sports stadium - with no reference to any parties involved.

For reference - here is the phrasing of the question we sent to the local authorities:

"1) Please could you confirm if the council has engaged in conversations or correspondence with any individual / organisation about any proposed new large sporting stadia with spectator seating within the council boundary area over the past 12 months?

"2) Has the council received any indication that an application for new large sporting stadia with spectator seating is expected in the future?

"3) If so - can you please identify the specific location(s) discussed as a possible site for the construction of potential new large sporting stadia with spectator seating in the past 12 months. If the exact location cannot be named, could you please identify the rough geographical area within the council boundary."

You didn't ask about a small sports stadium:facepalm:

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
But if they cannot comment for commercial reasons but the answer is "yes" - how are they supposed to reply?

They cannot say "no comment" because that leads to speculation why they did not say "no"

That's the beauty of the FOI Act for us journalists.

This is how Nuneaton and Bedworth chose to respond last time: “From time to time the planning service receives confidential consultations on draft proposals prior to the receipt of formal planning applications. Often these enquiries do not reach formal planning application stage.“Except where it is in the public interest to do so, the service neither confirms nor denies the existence of such enquiries.
“This should not be taken as an indication that any particular enquiry has or has not been received.”

The FOI request eventually forced them to confirm they had held talks with the club, but they were at a very early stage and nothing came of them.

Coun Harvey said: “As per our previous statement, the council’s policy, along with data protection laws, mean that we never confirm or deny speculation on conversations that may or may not have taken place between officers and third parties.
“However, in this instance the third party developer has released information that has enabled the media to deduce through a process of elimination that we have been approached.“Under those circumstances I can confirm that an enquiry has been made by a developer to council officers, however this was of a very speculative nature and at an early stage.
“Since that initial exploratory contact we have received no further approach and we are therefore not considering any proposal for any particular location.”

bigfatronssba

Your wrong.

An foi can be refused, but not falsified.

torchomatic

Nice to hear a council is helping out its local football club though, isn't it?

Haha. Warwick DC did ask for guidance on size - but that was only because of the plans for a new home for Leamington FC.

torchomatic

Agree on that. Although I live over that way it wouldn't be right for CCFC to be over here.

Even nicer to hear that no non local councils are not helping CCFC become non local though.

torchomatic

Absolutely. They don't do anything out of the goodness of their hearts!

Yes, but I do believe the council has an opportunity to benefit from Leamington FC moving. They want to convert the club's existing home into a traveller site.

martcov

Nice to hear a council is helping out its local football club though, isn't it?

Is this a thread about land deals or about councils assisting commercial entities? Whilst we are here though....Did Leamington put forward a sustainable business plan? Maton seems to say that CCFC didn't.

torchomatic

Haven't got a clue. Don't support Leamington.

Is this a thread about land deals or about councils assisting commercial entities? Whilst we are here though....Did Leamington put forward a sustainable business plan? Maton seems to say that CCFC didn't.

LB87ccfc

Well, why are you mentioning them on a thread about FOIs regarding land deals for CCFC? FFS. Talk about blind hatred of an official body.....

Blind Hatred, the council fucked the club royally and are no means not accountable for what has gone on with regards to the sorry mess we find ourselves in.

Nick

Administrator
Well, why are you mentioning them on a thread about FOIs regarding land deals for CCFC? FFS. Talk about blind hatred of an official body.....
Simon did...

Talk about blind defence of an official body.....

torchomatic

Says he who puts that official body and a out-of-town rugby team before the team he supports.

And I'm mentioning them because if that official body hadn't helped move the aforementioned rugby team then we wouldn't need to be looking into a new stadium, would we?

And I think you'll find Simon mentioned them.

wingy

I feel the same about Rugby as does everyone I know here(that's right,I have friends) CCFC fans or not.

I was reading a bit on Wiki about them today .

Have a Stadium covered on 4 sides with capacity for 5.5K and around 2 K seats IIRC.

Just saying .

Brought back fond memories of an old mate Ian Crawley ,sadly gone but forever In the record books scoring @ Wembley In the FA Vase back In the eighties and winning It of course .

skybluetony176

I was reading a bit on Wiki about them today .

Have a Stadium covered on 4 sides with capacity for 5.5K and around 2 K seats IIRC.

Just saying .

Brought back fond memories of an old mate Ian Crawley ,sadly gone but forever In the record books scoring @ Wembley In the FA Vase back In the eighties and winning It of course .

Butlin Road is a good ground at that level. I'd be surprised if there's a better one in the league. Has a proper tunnel and everything. I was only a kid when VS won the vase but still recall the pride that was evident in the town.

martcov

Blind Hatred, the council fucked the club royally and are no means not accountable for what has gone on with regards to the sorry mess we find ourselves in.

Yes, but are we on the subject of the council fucking us over, or of TF bullshitting us over land deals? At the moment I am more interested in where we are going or if we are going anywhere.

boatang

Simon,
if you are still on here,
I am sure I remember that the Football League said, just before the return to the Ricoh, that they were satisfied with the evidence that they had seen of progress on the new stadium. Could they be reminded of this, as they are the ones who could most easily have stopped the whole mess of the last 2 years.
What evidence could they have possibly seen, if there is none? Or were they just taking what they though would be the path of least resistance?

J

Jack Griffin

We received extremely clear responses to all of the requests. There was no withholding information due to "commercial sensitivity". All organisations categorically denied talks with anyone over construction of a large sports stadium.

Quite different to withholding information.

Simon, you may like to consider using the FA's own regs in future to define what a 'large sports stadium' is?
Maybe the question should be about a sports stadium that would fulfil the requirements for a football club in the football league.
Establishing a connection to CCFC is not important, because CCFC would be the only organisation who could possibly be doing this and trying to hide the fact.

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/advice/conference-club-guidance/ground-capacity-and-seating
http://www.thefa.com/my-football/club-leagues/ground-grading (grade a for the FL)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread