There is no pending land deal... (1 Viewer)

Thenose

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-stadium-investigation-8373299

Almost a year has passed since Coventry City FC supporters were told that the location of a new stadium for the club would be revealed in “about three weeks”.But, 12 months on since former CCFC director Mark Labovitch’s made those comments, there appears to be little public progress on the claims of owners Sisu that they intend to create a new home for the Sky Blues in the Coventry area so that the club can become financially sustainable.
In an attempt to uncover any movement on the plans the Telegraph recently submitted another round of Freedom of Information requests to organisations that would, according to independent planning experts, be routinely consulted ahead of any land deal for a project of this size.
Supporters group the Sky Blue Trust submitted similar requests and both sets of FOIs received almost identical responses denying any discussions over the creation of a large sports stadium.
Between the two rounds of FOIs, a total of 17 organisations responded to say they have not been involved in discussions in the past 12 months.
Under the terms of the FOI Act, organisations can refuse to respond if the information is deemed commercially sensitive. However, none of those asked adopted that stance, instead categorically confirming that no such discussions had taken place.
Ten local authorities denied discussions over a new football stadium – including Stratford, North Warwickshire, Hinckley and Bosworth, Daventry, Rugby, Solihull, Coventry, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwick and Warwickshire County Council.
Four police forces also denied talks – West Midlands, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.
In addition, three government departments denied any contact – the Highways Agency, the Environment Agency and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
But club officials insist the plans are “progressing” and a raft of advisors have been recruited to help.
Sources close to the club suggest a land deal near to, but outside, the city boundary could be announced within weeks.
Tim Fisher, CCFC chairman, said: “I am not minded to comment on anything in detail until the land deal is done.”

skybluepm2

Haha oh Timothy, what a hole you have dug for yourself!! I would advise that you are better off jumping in it and hoping the ground swallows you up like the rest of us do you huge bellend!

skybluepm2

Just because you believe everything you read in the CT, nothing to get out of by the way.

Anticipation is the key word, watch & wait!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahaha! Three weeks was the indication 12 months ago, now you're saying watch and wait?! What sort of shit goes on in that fucked up brain of yours?

Philosorapter

Just because you believe everything you read in the CT, nothing to get out of by the way.

So your saying that the Telegragh has not made the FOI requests and are now lying to its readers?

So Tim ("I am not minded") Fisher is buying land for a new stadium without any discussion with the relevant Authority(s)?
Is he really?
What is not to believe in that CT article?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
This isn't anything new to the Trusts same request a few days ago is it? No news....move on...

Granted - it's pretty similar, but there are a couple more organisations on the list now our FOIs have been included - Environment Agency and Dept for Culture, Media and Sport.

We have been submitting regular FOIs, and I believe the Trust have adopted a similar strategy. We ran a similar story last year.

About time for an update - and not everyone reads SBT. They should, but they don't.

Philosorapter

Granted - it's pretty similar, but there are a couple more organisations on the list now our FOIs have been included - Environment Agency and Dept for Culture, Media and Sport.

We have been submitting regular FOIs, and I believe the Trust have adopted a similar strategy. We ran a similar story last year.

About time for an update - and not everyone reads SBT. They should, but they don't.

Can I ask the cut off date for when you made the FOI requests?

LB87ccfc

Agreed, about time the article / news, went out to a wider audience of Coventry fans and tax payers.

skybluepm2

Good for the CT to keep up the pressure Simon. They may choose to ignore the Trust but it's a different issue attempting to keep quiet once the truth is printed in the local media.

Do you have any further updates on the ongoing Judicial Review farce or is this still waiting to be heard?

LB87ccfc

Agreed, about time the article / news, went out to a wider audience of Coventry fans and tax payers.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Can I ask the cut off date for when you made the FOI requests?

Our requests were made on November 27 - that gave them 20 working day to reply.

The date covered was the 12 months prior to November 27. Previous FOIs have gone further back, I think we've covered roughly the past two years through similar requests now.

wingy

Our requests were made on November 27 - that gave them 20 working day to reply.

The date covered was the 12 months prior to November 27. Previous FOIs have gone further back, I think we've covered roughly the past two years through similar requests now.

While you're here Simon ,Is it possible to comment on the Councillor Maton PR exercise ,Did he Offer a piece or did you seek one ?

LB87ccfc

So what is the Trust's next course of action considering its been confirmed in writing that we have been taken for mugs for over a year now surrounding all this rubbish.

skybluetony176

You're absolutely right RFC. TF was quoted in the CET saying they'd moved on and were building their own stadium. You really can't believe everything that you read in the papers.

RFC

So your saying that the Telegragh has not made the FOI requests and are now lying to its readers?

No don't try to put words in my mouth, what I'm saying is that due to 'commercial sensitivity' they wouldn't receive a comment one way or the other. They're not obliged to, it all depends on how the question they asked was phrased!

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
While you're here Simon ,Is it possible to comment on the Councillor Maton PR exercise ,Did he Offer a piece or did you seek one ?

I approached him.

Many were asking what the council's stance was now ACL had been sold and whether Wasps would help to develop land around the Ricoh.

As the man responsible for the city's "Local Plan" he was the obvious candidate to speak with.

He addressed both issues, but whether you are convinced by what he had to say on either issue is a different matter. But at least you have some response to scrutinise and judge for yourselves now.

However, the reality is, any "land deal" seems extremely unlikely to be within the city boundary anyway.

wingy

Have you guys deliberately waited half an hour to publish this piece following CCFC's Five point Plan Article Simon?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Simon, any chance you could approach the FL and FA for a comment on this story?

The FA are unlikely to ever comment on what they perceive to be an issue for the Football League.

The club has a deal in place which allows them to play in Coventry for the next four years. I'm sure the FL will see this as the ideal response to any stadium questions - at least until a preferred site is officially unveiled.

skybluetony176

No don't try to put words in my mouth, what I'm saying is that due to 'commercial sensitivity' they wouldn't receive a comment one way or the other. They're not obliged to, it all depends on how the question they asked was phrased!

They have to give an answer by law I believe. Even if that answer is no comment due to commercial sensitivity or even confidentiality.

But none did. They all gave a flat no. They can't say no if the answer is yes.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

So what your now saying is; 'no contact' is the same as 'contact but due to commerical sensitivity we can't comment'.

They are two quite different circumstances as you can see from previous FOI requests.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy

We received extremely clear responses to all of the requests. There was no withholding information due to "commercial sensitivity". All organisations categorically denied talks with anyone over construction of a large sports stadium.

Quite different to withholding information.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

When do you take up the position as Chairman of the SCG you know the position you held before and will no doubt hold again and again and again?

RFC

I approached him.

Many were asking what the council's stance was now ACL had been sold and whether Wasps would help to develop land around the Ricoh.

As the man responsible for the city's "Local Plan" he was the obvious candidate to speak with.

He addressed both issues, but whether you are convinced by what he had to say on either issue is a different matter. But at least you have some response to scrutinise and judge for yourselves now.

However, the reality is, any "land deal" seems extremely unlikely to be within the city boundary anyway.

It's not within the 'City' boundary (see recent post from Stadium Chair, Sandra Garlick).

Users who are viewing this thread