The World Cup Thread (3 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not sure why you'd think anything dodgy might happen in Russia. This is a piece about the KHL, their top level ice hockey league. Written by Russian sports writer Slava Maiamud:

That was really interesting, and worrying.

The last line was bizarre though, looks as if she had some other agenda with that.

wingy

Who's still going?
See some fans have been having their accomodation withdrawn or inflated to humungous levels.

skyblue025

I'm still going. All booked up this week. Accommodation prices have come down a fair bit in the last month.on e places weren't full at the stupid prices they have dropped them down now.

CJ_covblaze

We’re still going. Trying to sort out our potential digs in Rostov at present.

Otis

What about guinea pigs ?
They tend not to roam the streets.

Last time I went, I went out and bought dog and cat biscuits and was feeding them all. None of my missus's family were pleased at all about it and I was getting comments from people along the lines of 'Here we feed people, not animals.'

Thing is, people get dogs and cats as pets over there and then realise they can no longer afford to feed them, so they just kick them out on the streets and then they breed.

Anyway, the authorities there just put a load of poison down and killed the lot, including some people's pets by mistake, who just happened to be out on the street at the time.

Will make it nice for all the World Cup tourists though.

M&B Stand

23 man squad announced Wednesday. Bit surprised by that. Thought he might announce a bigger squad then trim it down after the FA and The European Cup final when they play the 2 friendlies.

If Hart gets in it’ll be laughable.

Gazolba

I'll stick my neck out and say this is the worst England squad that has ever gone to a major tournament.

skyblue025

Squad might not be great but we still have some decent players and they just might pick a team with players in their best positions rather than picking the best 11 players and shoe horning them into a team. No point in playing centre mids or strikers as wingers. At international level you get found out.

CJ_covblaze

23 man squad announced Wednesday. Bit surprised by that. Thought he might announce a bigger squad then trim it down after the FA and The European Cup final when they play the 2 friendlies.

If Hart gets in it’ll be laughable.

If he does it’ll be due to his experience. Pickford will be number 1 but I’d have Pope ahead of Butland. Southgate said a few weeks ago that he likes to pick 23 and have a reserved list rather than a bigger squad and make it smaller later.

Otis

If he does it’ll be due to his experience. Pickford will be number 1 but I’d have Pope ahead of Butland. Southgate said a few weeks ago that he likes to pick 23 and have a reserved list rather than a bigger squad and make it smaller later.
I wonder, do all teams take 3 keepers? And has any team ever in the history of the World Cup needed to use all 3?

Just seems excessive. I'm sure 2 would be fine. What's the chances of 2 keepers getting injured, or 1 getting injured and the other sent off?

ccfchoi87

I wonder, do all teams take 3 keepers? And has any team ever in the history of the World Cup needed to use all 3?

Just seems excessive. I'm sure 2 would be fine. What's the chances of 2 keepers getting injured, or 1 getting injured and the other sent off?

You have to take 3. Think it was Korea who tried it before.

M&B Stand

It should be Pickford, Pope and Butland.

Hart reminds me of Scott shearer.

Otis

I see some are talking of Danny Rose missing out. I know he hasn't had much game time, but he has to be on the plane hasn't he?

Has to be better than Ashley Young and I would say he's better than Bertrand too.

Apparently he played very well for Spurs on Sunday against Leicester.

Ashley Young is now Ashley Old and not half as quick as he used to be.

ajsccfc

A small handful of teams have used all three goalkeepers, but generally when they're already out and just want to let everyone have a game.

M&B Stand

I see some are talking of Danny Rose missing out. I know he hasn't had much game time, but he has to be on the plane hasn't he?

Has to be better than Ashley Young and I would say he's better than Bertrand too.

Apparently he played very well for Spurs on Sunday against Leicester.

Ashley Young is now Ashley Old and not half as quick as he used to be.

I’d take Young, he’s been quality this season and can play a few positions, always useful in a tournament squad.
I’ll get slated for this but I’d talk Milner out of retirement. Been class for Liverpool this season and can play anywhere.

SlowerThanPlatt

England’s squad is out tomorrow. Quite a few have already announced theirs. Brazil look frightening, front 3 of Coutinho, Jesus and Neymar with Fernandinho and Casemiro in midfield :inpain:. Then you have the likes of Firmino, Willian and Douglas Costa to call upon

SlowerThanPlatt

Joe Hart not involved in squad. Good. Don’t understand why some people insisted he had to be there for experience when England haven’t achieved anything at major tournaments for years and leave Pope who’s had a great season at home

Shelvey not even under consideration according to John Cross of the Mirror because of fears of his discipline and temperament. I rate him as a player, definitely a better option than the limited Livermore but have to think this was probably his last chance of going to a World Cup. He’ll be 30by the time 2022 comes around and been out of favour for some time

Covstu

Hart on form shouldn't be there so that's at least something, just worried that our midfield is lacking creativity and the ability for defence splitting passes

CJ_covblaze

You have to take 3. Think it was Korea who tried it before.

It was. They only picked 2 but then were told they had to have 3. As they didn’t have anyone else available an outfielder then had to spend the next couple of weeks in goal in training to show FIFA he was a keeper.

Otis

He's left Wilshire out?

What???

Madness I feel and well worth the gamble in taking him. He can be the midfield general we may well need for this tournament.

Maybe he's not quite as talented as Jake Livermore eh!

covmark

He's left Wilshire out?

What???

Madness I feel and well worth the gamble in taking him. He can be the midfield general we may well need for this tournament.

Maybe he's not quite as talented as Jake Livermore eh!
If Livermore goes instead of Wilshere then Southgate needs replacing immediately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

If Livermore goes instead of Wilshere then Southgate needs replacing immediately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Same goes for Loftus-Cheek. Livermore can’t be in that squad ahead of either of them and even Shelvey based on ability and form.

Otis

To be fair, Livermore was superb against Newcastle recently. I would guess that secured his place.
Big difference between the domestic stage and the international one though.

Livermore is found out at international level.

ccfchoi87

Big difference between the domestic stage and the international one though.

Livermore is found out at international level.

He was playing against the player that most people want in ahead of him. I like shelvey but Livermore bossed that game and that's why he'll be picked.

Shame because shelvey offers something different to the rest of the squad. I'm a firm believer in picking different options not just the best players

Users who are viewing this thread