The Sun - Foreign Takeover? (1 Viewer)

kg82

We have 'potential' but that doesn't make us a 'giant'.

We are at best an upper championship/lower PL club, we're not a 'giant'. Sorry, I just don't like the term, bit like 'legend.

Funny also you mention Derby's investment they have hardly spent anything in the last 2 seasons, have done it against a back drop of slashing the wage bill, and we're still getting 23-26k finished mid table in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

It's an ambiguous term used clumsily in the context of football by many. Sleeping giant; many would describe us as that. Many would argue it's a silly term. Both have points for and against. However, I think we currently have bigger fish to fry then debating a saying.

Terry Gibson's perm

It's an ambiguous term used clumsily in the context of football by many. Sleeping giant; many would describe us as that. Many would argue it's a silly term. Both have points for and against. However, I think we currently have bigger fish to fry then debating a saying.

Sleeping yes giant no

torchomatic

Why would we have a greater chance of getting some of the Ricoh. Wasps own it now, it's up to them, isn't it? Why would they want to dilute their own income when they haven't established themselves in the area.

I agree with your second point, however to get a great team we need income to buy the players in the first place. We don't get the income because we get small crowds in a rented stadium.

The ole vicious circle thing.

Makes a difference from a investment perspective, but we would not cost as much as Derby did to purchase would we? we then would have a greater chance of obtaining a % of the Ricoh if desired OR actually building a stadium if one of these backers was serious however we are getting too ahead of ourselves, it was most likely analyse information being published in the Sun newspaper.

In terms of Derby attracting the crowds they do, owning their own stadium makes no difference whatsoever, they have the product on the pitch which attracts the paying customer, football being an entertainment business at the end of the day, and are reaping the rewards challenging at the top end of the championship.

Last edited:

LB87ccfc

Why would we have a greater chance of getting some of the Ricoh. Wasps own it now, it's up to them, isn't it? Why would they want to dilute their own income when they haven't established themselves in the area.

I agree with your second point, however to get a great team we need income to buy the players in the first place. We don't get the income because we get small crowds in a rented stadium.

LB87ccfc

I think we would possibly have a greater chance of obtaining some of the Ricoh if a billionaire decided to use us as their toy as A they would have deep pockets and most likely be able to establish greater financial links which would help both parties, or B give Wasps X amount and tell them this is their toy.

Wasps talk a good game with wanting our club at the stadium at the moment, of course they will do as we are paying them rent which helps towards the income for them, however, what if the relationship with SISU turns stale.

Again, we are getting way to speculative with a piece of analysis information published in the Sun newspaper.

torchomatic

Again, not disagreeing but too many "what if's". Even if a billionaire did by some miracle come along and buy us I'd want us to get the Ricoh outright and ditch Wasps completely. They're the cuckoos, make them build their own stadium.

Never happen anyway.

I think we would possibly have a greater chance of obtaining some of the Ricoh if a billionaire decided to use us as their toy as A they would have deep pockets and most likely be able to establish greater financial links which would help both parties, or B give Wasps X amount and tell them this is their toy.

Wasps talk a good game with wanting our club at the stadium at the moment, of course they will do as we are paying them rent which helps towards the income for them, however, what if the relationship with SISU turns stale.

Again, we are getting way to speculative with a piece of analysis information published in the Sun newspaper.

Calista

Anyone got a link to the sun article?

Can’t send you a link to the Sun article, but I too was keen to see it. I went up to the newsagents an hour ago in my mac and there were no Suns left on the shelf. So I went up to the counter and asked the nice young lady if she still had any copies of the Sun behind the counter, saying that I really wanted to read an important article in it. Don’t think I was believed from the look on her face.

Anyway, they had a copy at the garage, and I can tell you that it contains no more details of interest to CCFC than what was reported in the Coventry Telegraph (see Simon Gilbert’s link at #40 on this thread). Oh, apart from the fact that (as well as being lowly and unglamorous) we are apparently “best known for muddy pitches and dodgy pies”. Who said you can never believe what you read in the papers?

dongonzalos

The article, which also describes the teams as “lowly” and “unglamorous”, suggests money is no object to the unidentified wealthy individuals who would seek to progress the clubs as an exercise to massage their egos rather than turn a profit.

Calista

Again, not disagreeing but too many "what if's". Even if a billionaire did by some miracle come along and buy us I'd want us to get the Ricoh outright and ditch Wasps completely. They're the cuckoos, make them build their own stadium.

Never happen anyway.

You don’t think such an investor would see Wasps as the main attraction, given that they (at least currently) have far more big games than us and they are a magnet to lucrative sponsors?

Torch, it’s obvious from everything you post that you love CCFC, probably even more than most on here, which I’ll bet everyone massively respects regardless of all the in-fighting. If I’m honest, I sometimes wish I still had sky blue specs like you do, but having worn them since I was six I seem to have lost them :(

Wasps have moved to Coventry and it’s vital that we work with them. Bitterness about their takeover, and the stadium purchase by CCFC that you think nearly happened but in reality was never close, is not going to help that.

I still think that the Ricoh with BOTH clubs is FAR more viable than with either one of them on their own. If I was this imaginary billionaire, I’d look at the Ricoh/CCFC/Wasps and see far more potential than in any of the other clubs mentioned in the Sun (looks like I've found my sky blue specs again!).

Kingokings204

You don’t think such an investor would see Wasps as the main attraction, given that they (at least currently) have far more big games than us and they are a magnet to lucrative sponsors?

Torch, it’s obvious from everything you post that you love CCFC, probably even more than most on here, which I’ll bet everyone massively respects regardless of all the in-fighting. If I’m honest, I sometimes wish I still had sky blue specs like you do, but having worn them since I was six I seem to have lost them :(

Wasps have moved to Coventry and it’s vital that we work with them. Bitterness about their takeover, and the stadium purchase by CCFC that you think nearly happened but in reality was never close, is not going to help that.

I still think that the Ricoh with BOTH clubs is FAR more viable than with either one of them on their own. If I was this imaginary billionaire, I’d look at the Ricoh/CCFC/Wasps and see far more potential than in any of the other clubs mentioned in the Sun (looks like I've found my sky blue specs again!).

Top post. Exactly how I see it.

I thought that Financial Fair Play (FFP) put pay to any new club with rich owners disrupting the status quo at the top. I am sure FFP is illegal as it restricts competitive trade and is currently being challenged. So at the moment how can a Billionaire's finances take a new club to the top??

Anyhow good luck in your search for replacing SISU

kg82

I thought that Financial Fair Play (FFP) put pay to any new club with rich owners disrupting the status quo at the top. I am sure FFP is illegal as it restricts competitive trade and is currently being challenged. So at the moment how can a Billionaire's finances take a new club to the top??

This is another thing. We have to live within our means so what good would having loads of money be. Not as if the new owners could sponsor our stadium for a huge amount to get around it!

Kingokings204

FFP doesn't exist in league 1. It exists in the championship and above where obviously the model falls down which fisher has mentioned recently.

We do actually have a massive city in this country and a 32k stadium to take advantage of that other teams don't have especially in league 1. An investor could and should see our potential. We have been crying out for a chance for the last 14 years. If someone took a chance on us and got us challenging top end of the championship then 30k crowds would be achieved.

Terry Gibson's perm

This is another thing. We have to live within our means so what good would having loads of money be. Not as if the new owners could sponsor our stadium for a huge amount to get around it!

Or just do like some of the big clubs and ignore the whole FFP thing, it is a rule for big clubs to make sure that the smaller ones can never challenge them.

Noggin

the system in league 1 is different to the championship/premiership one but both systems have major holes that still give absolutely immense benefits to clubs with a rich owner. For instance in league one its just about how the wages relate to turn over, buy an expensive player thats fine, sell the expensive player and that increases you turn over allowing you to spend more on wages. Then there is the fact that owners can put money in as equity and that counts as turnover and if you get near your wage limit then quickly sign the last few players you need for the season you'll go over the limit but the punishment will just prevent you signing players.

In the championship you can lose 8m a year if the owner injects equity but it's still easy to abuse and the punishment is just a transfer ban and you get past it again by buying a load of players in quick succession. Then there is all the other ways you could dump costs onto different companies. Also the overspend is monitored on annual accounts which we proved can be very very late indeed, you could buy your way to the premierleague with 100mill with a bit of planning and you'd just end up paying a fine for the your overspend in the championship which you'd be out of by the time they see your accounts.

I'm not sure how building new stadiums comes into it, because in the championship at least under these rules (at least without bending them massively) a club can't realistically build a new stadium.

Last edited:
That Sun article was supposedly written by their city editor, but appeared to be written by the tea boy on his lunch break. Purely speculative and their crack team of researchers couldn't even come up with who owns Cambridge United (who I bet only appeared on their radar after they were on telly on Friday night).

Moff

That Sun article was supposedly written by their city editor, but appeared to be written by the tea boy on his lunch break. Purely speculative and their crack team of researchers couldn't even come up with who owns Cambridge United (who I bet only appeared on their radar after they were on telly on Friday night).

Yes but its nice to dream that one day SISU will be gone.

Skyblueweeman

realistically the worst case scenario with a billionaire taking over with us as their play thing is they invest alot into the playing squad but nothing into infrastructure, we get promoted to the championship, a very expensive playing squad is assembled with a very large yearly wage bill, we fail for a couple of years at getting to the premiership, the Billionaire says screw this, not putting anymore money in, we can't afford our players, we go into administration and get relegated. This is the pretty much the worst case realistic scenario and it's massively preferable to the current scenario imo. I don't think that leaves us in a worse place than now.

This is the business model that was in place when we were in the Prem. It's the reason we now have SISU.

torchomatic

They had little choice, they needed a home...

I know.
Hopefully MK Dons will be bought by a Russian billionaire and moved there too, see how they like it.

Users who are viewing this thread