The Rebuild- Around Hamer and Sheaf (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

What I don't understand is why people are so aghast at me saying pay it if it fits our wage structure!

I think if we can’t stretch to £20k in exceptional circumstances for experienced squad members who have proven themselves on their third contract, the wage structure needs working on. £20k highest earner is fine when it’s a player like Gus.

I’ve got faith that Robins won’t spend money we don’t have. But from a pure financial POV it’s a no brainer.

NorthernWisdom

I think if we can’t stretch to £20k in exceptional circumstances for experienced squad members who have proven themselves on their third contract, the wage structure needs working on. £20k highest earner is fine when it’s a player like Gus.

I’ve got faith that Robins won’t spend money we don’t have. But from a pure financial POV it’s a no brainer.
It doesn't become exceptional though. And if it remains exceptional it's probably too much of a risk. Was O'Hare worth £20k PW last season? Possibly! This season...?

If it's the exception you strengthen the team and club overall, spread your risk.

shmmeee

It doesn't become exceptional though. And if it remains exceptional it's probably too much of a risk. Was O'Hare worth £20k PW last season? Possibly! This season...?

If it's the exception you strengthen the team and club overall, spread your risk.

I just think he’s worth it and it’s not excessive for our position. TBH while O’Hare is great I’ve never felt he has the impact on the side that Hamer does.

If Vik wanted to stay for £20k is probably say do it as well.

Bringing up freak injuries is silly, by that logic never sign anyone.

Saddlebrains

If we cant go to 20k a week to pay our best talent in 20 plus years then we may aswell fucking give up now.

As GIMOC has said, we have made the best oart of 5 million from this play off run, money that wouldnt have been expected as income.

Using 1 million or so of that to put towards an improved contract for Gus is an absolute no brainer.

And if we dont, then in all honesty then we deserve fuck all and the inevitable season of mediocrity.

Viks going, we know that, and we can replace his goals with hopefully 2 or 3 strikers than can bang in 12 or so each. You cannot replace what Hamer does for us. Hes fucking everywhere, drags games by the scruff of the neck, tacklesN scores, creates, encourages teammates hes absolutely unbelievable. 20k a week is a fucking steal for who is a premier league player and the man you need to build a team around for the next 3 years

NorthernWisdom

I just think he’s worth it and it’s not excessive for our position. TBH while O’Hare is great I’ve never felt he has the impact on the side that Hamer does.

If Vik wanted to stay for £20k is probably say do it as well.

Bringing up freak injuries is silly, by that logic never sign anyone.
The point being if you depend on one player you gamble too much. What's sully is to do that rather than spreading the risk. I also remember:

People despairing as to who would replace Walsh;
Unsustainable contracts given to O'Hare and Hamer to keep them here and increase their value, us being unable to sell O'Hare so having to have a fire sale of one of our only defenders.

So OK we have a new broom, but progress would be making those current unsustainable contracts sustainable while being able to sign a replacement defender... and only offering improved terms if it fits what we can afford - we're not in the Messi after all for that very reason!

It's only worth offering Hamer what he wants if we can afford to offer some other players what they want in the same be ballpark.

And isn't it already known a contract has been on offer for a while, which suggests we're already offering him as much as we can afford, whatever that may be.

And finally(!) a little conspiracy for the morning. If I were a cynical PR guru representing Hamer and he wanted to leave, planting such a story guarantees he leaves the hero.

Marty

Hamer is worth every penny of that 20k a week (If it's true). One of the best midfielders in the championship and probably the best player we've had since relegation, if he signs up to a new deal, Ive already decided I'm getting Hamer 38 on the back of my shirt (I know it's kinda pathetic for a grown adult to get players names and numbers on your shirt, but fuck it). GUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAVO.

NorthernWisdom

If we cant go to 20k a week to pay our best talent in 20 plus years then we may aswell fucking give up now.

As GIMOC has said, we have made the best oart of 5 million from this play off run, money that wouldnt have been expected as income.

Using 1 million or so of that to put towards an improved contract for Gus is an absolute no brainer.

And if we dont, then in all honesty then we deserve fuck all and the inevitable season of mediocrity.

Viks going, we know that, and we can replace his goals with hopefully 2 or 3 strikers than can bang in 12 or so each. You cannot replace what Hamer does for us. Hes fucking everywhere, drags games by the scruff of the neck, tacklesN scores, creates, encourages teammates hes absolutely unbelievable. 20k a week is a fucking steal for who is a premier league player and the man you need to build a team around for the next 3 years
You were quite happy to agree we should replace him with two lower calibre midfielders earlier in the season! Also agreed that giving him his bumper contract last time out was a huge mistake!

Saddlebrains

You were quite happy to agree we should replace him with two lower calibre midfielders earlier in the season! Also agreed that giving him his bumper contract last time out was a huge mistake!

I know yea, i should never change my opinion should I 🤔

The Hamer of then to now is an absolute world of difference. There were a few who were saying if anyone goes last summer it should be him due to the poor disciplinary record and general loss of form.

But now he has hit his prime and is carrying us, we will not be able to replace him with the levels he plays at now. Along with the fact Sheaf and he compliment each other so well, the best CM pairing in this league in my view

Its not like we need to sell him either, we all know Vik is off and the runoured 15 -18 million for him is more than enough alongside the wages from the released lot, to develop a top 6 squad, not just first 11. But Hamer is absolutely pivotal to that

Londonccfcfan

Hamer is worth every penny of that 20k a week (If it's true). One of the best midfielders in the championship and probably the best player we've had since relegation, if he signs up to a new deal, Ive already decided I'm getting Hamer 38 on the back of my shirt (I know it's kinda pathetic for a grown adult to get players names and numbers on your shirt, but fuck it). GUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAVO.
Lmfao I completely agree, I'm way too old to be putting players names on my shirt.

If he signs a new contract i wouldnt blink an eyelid for next season.

CCFCSteve

Youd hope Robins will know his budget and would want to keep some kind of wage structure. If he feels a higher wage for hamer can squeeze into it, then I’m with him…he’s the heartbeat of the team and in his final year so it ‘should’ protect and enhance his value. It’s a gamble for us paying anyone 20k a week but agree with the comments that it’s just adding a waghorn, Walker or Maguire (players who didn’t really contribute last season) onto his current salary.

Also agree with NW though, if we have hamer and ohare both out long term on the wages they’d be on, we really are fucked. Im guessing all this will be dependent on potential fee for Vik, who’s lined up, what wages they’re on etc etc. it would certainly give the whole club and fans a massive boost so worth the gamble

robbiekeane

Torturing myself watching it back...
Sky comms saying Hamer was abandoned as a baby in Brazil 😪... (knew he was born there obviously but didn't know that)adopted by a Dutch family and his adopted father died last year😪 (knew that) ..... makes me love the guy even more knowing what he has been through and how he gives his all for us and seems to enjoy it so much......
I just watched the highlights for the first time and i will never watch that again its honestly gut wrenching. So so fucking close at the end. To be fair, we probably should‘ve been 3-0 down at half time though. I dont think i realised on the day how many near misses they had.

Looking at my Amex now asking myself if it was the right decision to fly half way around the world and if id do it again knowing the result?

Abso fucking lutely

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It was of course paying fat wages that messed us up in the first place. Not as simple as just pay it as others want a ruse then too, and new players ask for more.

It's pay it if it's possible to pay it within our wage structure.
Of course there is that risk that agents will then be trying to get more wages for others.

But Hamer is one of the best CM's in this division and to bring in someone who could do something even vaguely similar you're looking at £15k+ on a new signing anyway. So why not pay that bit more for someone who apparently wants to stay and we know works in the way we play? £20k in the modern era is probably a 'fair' wage for someone of his talent at this level.

Admittedly 20k is about as high as I would go. If he was saying £25k then I'd be saying that's probably too much. I definitely don't agree with those that are saying 'pay him whatever it takes', though I suspect much of that is hyperbole.

Isn't Palmer rumoured to be on around that after we took on his contract? Waghorn was supposedly on about £14k.

shmmeee

Of course there is that risk that agents will then be trying to get more wages for others.

But Hamer is one of the best CM's in this division and to bring in someone who could do something even vaguely similar you're looking at £15k+ on a new signing anyway. So why not pay that bit more for someone who apparently wants to stay and we know works in the way we play? £20k in the modern era is probably a 'fair' wage for someone of his talent at this level.

Admittedly 20k is about as high as I would go. If he was saying £25k then I'd be saying that's probably too much. I definitely don't agree with those that are saying 'pay him whatever it takes', though I suspect much of that is hyperbole.

Isn't Palmer rumoured to be on around that after we took on his contract? Waghorn was supposedly on about £14k.

Palmers contract with Bristol didn’t run past this season so doubt we agreed to match beyond that. But there’s been a few rumoured times be around the £15k mark. £20k for your highest paid player on his third contract as a top six side really isn’t that much. Obviously we couldn’t pay that to everyone, but Hamer isn’t everyone.

nunchuckas

I can understand having a wage structure, but from a financial risk point of view it would make absolute sense to offer him £20k IF he is at least tempted to stay.

1 million a year to keep one of the best players in the league, who is already here, settled, fits in with the style of play and knows the level of fitness he needs to be at? How much would it cost to replace him? Even if we get someone proven on a free, they're going to be on at least 10k, and there's the risk of multiple unknowns that they may not reach near the same levels, fit in, prepared to train as hard etc.

We could go down the same route and sign an upcoming unknown to replace him, but that's going to cost at least 500k plus minimum 5k wages, and again, unknowns of how good they'll be and would still take them a year or so to get fully up to the levels Gus is at now if by some miracle they are THAT good.

Yes, he could get badly injured, but so could his replacement on 10k or 5k or anyone in the team, the risk of injury is open to every footballer. We could spend the money on two flops like Waghorn or Kane - at least we know Gus is good enough if fit.

Furthermore, if he extends his contract for 1m per year, it's going to add at least 1m to his value anyway.

Offer him a bumper deal, with a clause that he can leave after 1 season for 5/6/7m plus if we don't get promoted, and it's literally a 500k investment (if we assume any replacement is going to be on around 10k anyway) to have a good chance of challenging for another year.

No brainer for me.

stupot07

Huge statement of intent. If we can keep Build around Hamer and Sheaf.

If Ohare and Palmer can realise their potential. Then wow that's some midfield to build your team around. Still feel Ohare and Palmer will need to step up their end product.

Then that's a fantastic base.
We need to accept Hamer's off. We just need to get maximum value out of his transfer fee.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Grendel

We need to accept Hamer's off. We just need to get maximum value out of his transfer fee.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It would be deranged to offer him Premier League wages to keep him

pusbccfc

Gus new post and the replies are more positive 👀

Users who are viewing this thread