The Penalty (1 Viewer)

North York’s Blue

Whilst we benefitted yesterday, let’s call it what is was ‘a dive’. Had it been given against us we would be furious and hammering the offending player.
My concern now is that refs will have taken notice and that they will think twice about awarding free kicks for what may be genuine fouls against Godden in future.
Just a thought…

D

Deleted member 2477

Happens all the time. Unless Godden or anyone else makes a habit of it I dont think they would take any notice

Happy_Martian

Same thought could be applied to any club in the Prem or Europe where simulation has become established as a trick for the attackers. But it hasn't stopped or slowed attempts to fool referees. VAR across the spectrum may be an option but a very expensive one for those in the lower leagues.

Brighton Sky Blue

Whilst we benefitted yesterday, let’s call it what is was ‘a dive’. Had it been given against us we would be furious and hammering the offending player.
My concern now is that refs will have taken notice and that they will think twice about awarding free kicks for what may be genuine fouls against Godden in future.
Just a thought…

The Luton ref hasn’t learned the rules since he sent off McF last season either. Balances out over a season

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah it was a dive but silva morning about the ref getting everything wrong and ignoring the man handling for their goal mitrovic aggressive dissent and their second yellow challenges not punished pisses me off more. Live by the sword die by it. Would be proud of golden if he said sorry but don’t expect him to

Briles

I can't even remember the last time one of our players dived and won a penalty.

tommy hutch legend

Yeah it was a dive but silva morning about the ref getting everything wrong and ignoring the man handling for their goal mitrovic aggressive dissent and their second yellow challenges not punished pisses me off more. Live by the sword die by it. Would be proud of golden if he said sorry but don’t expect him to
I was sitting in block 1 and thought penalty straight away the ref has no slow motion replays so must have thought the same when players stay on their feet when Def pen they get nothing

CovBrummie94

The blame has to go to the assistant referee. He had a much better view of things than the ref.

There have been plenty of bad decisions in the championship again this season just look at Bournemouth’s penalty against Sheff United yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

As professional as the referees are supposed to be, do they really take the time to research individual players and what they have or haven’t done? I really don’t think they do.

DannyThomas_1981

Just a thought…

If we're seriously worried or even having a debate on this - then it really shows just how well things are going for us.....

torchomatic

Just a thought…

Nah, that won't happen or else Raheem Sterling would never win another penalty or freekick again. After all he's the master diver.

harvey098

Have to admit, it didn’t feel great watching it back but as everyone has said, its become part of the game sadly and I’d rather win by any means than lose honourably.

Jamesimus

Based on this season and last we are whey down the list of shithousery in this league. We don’t time waste, roll around on the floor, get in the refs face etc. like most do. I think we have enough credit in the fair play bank for that dive.

We definitely do timewaste, but that's fine. I want us to timewaste if we're 1 goal up and seeing out a win! And obviously I think you're pointing out teams in this league who timewaste at 0-0 when playing away from home haha.

pusbccfc

First decision we've had go our way all season.

Referees have watched O'Hare get kicked to pieces all season and haven't protected him.

A penalty is the least we could get.

Legia Sky Blue

Trouble is that defenders will now be able to foul Godden in the area and get away with it, as refs will have it in their mind that Godden is a diver.

Terry Gibson's perm

I don’t care that he dived we got a penalty and scored fuck Sliva and fuck Fulham.

If it was the last minute of the season and it’s one one and he dived and got a penalty and scored and we were promoted would you be bothered?

Sick Boy

I noticed on a Fulham forum that they were claiming there is anti-Fulham bias from the EFL and refs - it seems it's not just us with the paranoid fanbase then.

shmmeee

Trouble is that defenders will now be able to foul Godden in the area and get away with it, as refs will have it in their mind that Godden is a diver.

If that’s the case Luton aren’t getting another pen for the rest of the season.

shmmeee

I noticed on a Fulham forum that they were claiming there is anti-Fulham bias from the EFL and refs - it seems it's not just us with the paranoid fanbase then.

No one cares enough about Fulham to hate them. Maybe Reading fans fearing for losing their dullest fan base title.

stevefloyd

I suppose the only defence of Godden is that he expected a heavy tackle so jumped and fell so the pen was given for intent but I read with delight the pen still stood this morning as did the Luton one and numerous others 😉 so am I still happy today.... 1 million per cent

JeffB

On Wednesday 29 September this football club was given a refereeing masterclass in how to sap the confidence and derail the progress of an in form football team with a contentious penalty award in the 4th minute with a clear foul committed outside the penalty area. This decision inspired Luton, demoralised us and set the tone for the remaining 86 minutes with a hammering the inevitable consequence. Our previous visit to Kenilworth Road was officiated by the same referee who awarded another contentious penalty and controversially sent off McFadzean which effectively gifted Luton 3 points.
Last season we were into double figures for penalties conceded; the one awarded to Norwich against us needed to be seen to be believed . We had a never ending list of horrific injuries to important players and yet did not have one solitary opposition player sent off against us in regulation time. Wallace of Millwall was sent off against us in the penultimate minute of extra time.
Whilst Fulham are up in arms about the penalty award which without doubt was controversial, what about Dennis Odoi who was on a yellow card planting his foot in Matty Godden's face? Irrespective of whether this was accidental or not this should have been a second bookable offence.
We are the last team on this earth who should be losing any sleep over receiving favourable refereeing decisions. Following Saint Eddie of Howe's departure from his holier than thou and infallible Bournemouth there is a natural vacancy for the referees pet poodle but there is not a cat in hell''s chance of Coventry getting an interview let alone filling that particular vacancy.

Users who are viewing this thread