The goal keeping situation (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Burge was OK in the checkatrade final, we won
He was OK last season, 14 clean sheets, and we got promoted.
He has been OK this season and we are higher up the league than many would have expected.
Hardly hapless.
We would all like a top class keeper here, but you have to be realistic about who we can get, and we could end up with someone worse.
All keepers at this, or any other level make errors.
But, the haters gotta hate

I don't know why you're bothering, he calls players like Burge hapless but gets sore if people criticise referees.

stevefloyd

I think because a few on here started 'having a go' at Burge and a lot more have jumped on the band wagon, but even the prem top goalies make the odd stupid mistake at times.
The thing I did like about Stockdale was that he came and collected a few crosses nullifying any threat, when Burge does eventually come off his line he invariably gives everyone the heeby jeebies and on a few occasions misses the ball completely.
Obviously we are in a lower league these days so we have what we have, Robins needed to improve on our outfield play and that seems to be coming along ok so I guess the next stage is improving on our goalkeeping situation, Addai don't seem to be trusted and from what I have see I can see why, he makes Burge out to be almost world class!

Irish Sky Blue

Fans calling for Stockdale to be signed after two games where he was barely tested is such skybluestalk thing. You guys.
While I think that Stockdale did look very confident and solid in the only game I saw him play for us, the comments on here still make me laugh. His first kick last week went into touch and he came for a ball in the second half that bobbled off his chest before he retrieved it. Certainly not a perfect performance, with incidents like these ignored. If that was Burge what would have been said? I don’t in any way think that Burge is a great goalkeeper but he has been generally okay over the past two seasons, making the odd howler that all goalkeepers make but, on the whole doing well. Could we do better? Possibly, but does that mean he deserves all the stick he gets off of here? A poster above says he is fourth division or non league at best. Those that voted him League Two keeper of the year probably know more than us on here and disagree.
There are people on here who seem to take against a player and no matter what that player does he will never redeem himself in their eyes. Thinking back over this season and last it is hard to think of a player who has had a totally positive response on here. There is usually someone who thinks they are useless. Just think of the way that Burge, Haynes, Vincente, Biamou, JCH, Shipley, Stevenson, Doyle, Kelly (last season), McNulty, (a good part of last season), Bayliss, Sterling( the start of the season), Chaplin (Craplin to one poster), Bakayoko ( before he had even played in some people’s case) and Hiwula can never do right in some people’s eyes. Only perhaps Willis, Hyam and Jones have escaped fairly lightly. ( although even Jones was written off by some before the start of last season) Some of those players would not have been particular favourites of mine, JCH for example. However, what I don’t get is the glee which some people seem to take in lambasting certain players, Burge being a particular example.
If anyone can be bothered to go and have a look at the comments made about O’Brien after the opening two games last season against Notts County and Grimsby, much the same remarks were being made about him as have been made about Stockdale. Apparently he was so much better than Burge and was the keeper we had been waiting for. After the next two games against Newport and then Yeovil, those opinions had changed. Even at the start of this season however, a number of posters were still saying that O’Brien was the better of the two. (I would think very few feel that way now.)
I criticise players, I have my favourite and those I think are not really up to it. However, I would like to think I was open to watching them improve and can praise them for the good things they do. It is the total negativity to some players, players wearing the badge and the shirt and generally doing their best that I don’t get. I would think that even the worst player we have is still going to be miles better that almost anyone on here. Reading some of the comments about the sort of goalkeeper a poster was, some perhaps have delusions of grandeur.

Irish Sky Blue

For what it is worth, I did think that Stockdale looked potentially a better keeper than Burge ( you surely have to watch someone for a longer period in more testing games before having a definitive viewpoint?), more commanding, better on crosses. That simply makes him better in my opinion, it doesn’t make Burge bad.

SkyBlueCRJ

Here's a few (realistic) targets I wouldn't mind looking at in the summer:
- Josh Vickers (Lincoln) 23 - Think he's out of contract at the end of the season
- Liam Roberts (Walsall) 23 - Think he has a year left on his contact. Performed well against us.
- Jak Alnwick (Scunthorpe on loan) 25 - Clearly down the pecking order at Rangers and has performed at League One level with Port Vale
- Adam Bogdan (Hibernian on loan) 31 - Doubt Liverpool would miss him

steve82

Here's a few (realistic) targets I wouldn't mind looking at in the summer:
- Josh Vickers (Lincoln) 23 - Think he's out of contract at the end of the season
- Liam Roberts (Walsall) 23 - Think he has a year left on his contact. Performed well against us.
- Jak Alnwick (Scunthorpe on loan) 25 - Clearly down the pecking order at Rangers and has performed at League One level with Port Vale
- Adam Bogdan (Hibernian on loan) 31 - Doubt Liverpool would miss him

Cristy Pym (Exeter) 23?
Out of contract too I believe and very experienced for his age with over 150 senior appearances being number 1 keeper the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyBlueCRJ

Cristy Pym (Exeter) 23?
Out of contract too I believe and very experienced for his age with over 150 senior appearances being number 1 keeper the last few years.

Good suggestion. Really good keeper and yes I think he's out of contract.

Nick

Administrator
Cristy Pym (Exeter) 23?

He seems highly rated, how likely are Exeter to be promoted?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

From what I understand, the issue at Brum isn't wages it's a fee owed to Brighton that's triggered if he plays a certain amount of games. With all their FFP troubles, they wouldn't be allowed to pay it even if they wanted to.
A mate who works as an analyst for Blues told me on Sunday it's a fall out with Monk. Apparently he's well liked within the club but he came back over the summer overweight and Monk and him have since fallen out to the point he won't be considered. He also said he was widely regarded as the best keeper there, Kuszczak is apparently thought of higher than Camp too but has a high pay-per-play clause in his contract which means they won't play him.

steve82

He seems highly rated, how likely are Exeter to be promoted?

Tricky to assess as we know it can be a lottery and they have only won 4 of there 9 games since Stockley left for Preston. Drawing 3 and losing 2 others.

If they overcome that which they look like they might then a play off spots on course again.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is this a fantasy?
Stockdale on a season's loan.
We pay CCFC wages, B'ham pay the rest (they would be anyway for their 3rd choice in contract goalie)
Stockdale can be recalled if injury or suspension means B'ham need him
Burge goes to reserve to fill in if Stockdale is recalled
Dream on I suspect

Assuming Burge was informed he would be back-up he wouldn't sign a new deal and look elsewhere - he won't want to go back to a back-up (unless someone offered him really silly money and I can't see that happening).

If he signed a contract without being informed and then this kind of deal was done I think you'd have one very unhappy player on the books and it could upset dressing room morale.

With the Stockdale thing - you never know but I think it's unlikely. But even if it were to happen he most certainly wouldn't have Burge as back-up (or LOB).

Users who are viewing this thread