The goal keeping situation (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Stockdale is not a Prem goalkeeper lol and is probably just about a reasonable champ goalkeeper. He was in goal for us twice against very poor teams with virtually nothing to do
Yes, but he did nothing very well

SkyBlueCRJ

Actually only dealing in facts. Considering everyone that plays for us is considered shit on here at some stage I have ceased offering an opinion.

I don't think anyone in the current squad (apart from LOB) is 'shit.' I personally think we could do with a replacement for Burge though as IMO MR has settled with this position for a number of years now and should really dedicate a proportion of the budget to bring in a GK of a higher calibre. But I think it's a bit much labelling him as shit as that's just factually wrong like you said. He's put in some fantastic displays over the last 2 years but equally, he's been very lucky with who's been in front of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

1st choice keeper at higher league club? - no chance.
2nd choice keeper in Prem? - no chance. 2nd choice at lower champ? Possibly.
3rd / (or even 4th at top Prem club) choice - possible on loan. Champ 3rd? Yes.

Scottish keeper? Worth a look. Wages up there are so much lower than here. My guess is that a Scottish second tier keeper might be worth a look.

Yep Scottish lower leagues def - Scott Shearer worked out well

Joy Division

Fans calling for Stockdale to be signed after two games where he was barely tested is such skybluestalk thing. You guys.

steve82

Fans calling for Stockdale to be signed after two games where he was barely tested is such skybluestalk thing. You guys.

That’s actually a fair quote.
The stat he takes away is two clean sheets but they were against two out of form sides who between them failed to test his all round game. He’s clearly ability as he’s earned a decent contract being good at his job.

What he did demonstrate very well tho in his time here was all of Lee Burges flaws. He brought a calming commanding presence to the defensive unit claiming balls with ease from crosses. Communicated with his defence clearly too helping organise.

Stockdale was a luxury in them respects to have at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luwalla

Or it shows up how Bad Burge is due to the fact Stockdale just did basic goalkeeper things
didnt he come for a couple of balls & drop them initially in that first match... and also messed up a couple of kicks, putting them straight out , from memory ?

don't get me wrong I think he is a good keeper & better than Burge ( which is ot be expected given the level he plays / played at ) but I think calling for him to be signed like he is some messiah... after after two basic matches , is both unrealistic I terms of what we could afford & unfair on Burge.

Joy Division

a guy who did basics got that sort of praise

shows you how shit current keeper is, its not a knock on the fans thats for sure.

There has been games this season where Burge did the basics, there has also been games where he's been shit. Fact is that we've seen enough of Burge to know what he's like.

covcity4life

There has been games this season where Burge did the basics, there has also been games where he's been shit. Fact is that we've seen enough of Burge to know what he's like.
very very rarerly does he do basics. what you mean is there have eben games where he didnt mess up and maybe claimed 1 ball which was a nice surprise

his basics are being rooted to his line,a good shot stopper,poor decision maker and ability to be an idiot at times

in that case yes he does basics week in week out

he needs to go next season

Joy Division

very very rarerly does he do basics. what you mean is there have eben games where he didnt mess up and maybe claimed 1 ball which was a nice surprise

his basics are being rooted to his line,a good shot stopper,poor decision maker and ability to be an idiot at times

I agree Burge needs to go next season. But we can't say Stockdale is the answer after two appearances where he was barely tested, even Liam O'Brien was loved by the fans at the start of the 2017/18 because he 'did the basics' but after a run of games it turned out he was prone to errors.

covcity4life

I agree Burge needs to go next season. But we can't say Stockdale is the answer after two appearances where he was barely tested, even Liam O'Brien was loved by the fans at the start of the 2017/18 because he 'did the basics' but after a run of games it turned out he was prone to errors.
stockdale has pedigree to be brilliant in league 1. wether we can afford him is another matter

i dont really care who replaces burge as long as he is replaced

p.s LOB is better than burge! but hes not "one of our own" so fans pretend hes shit

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
When comparing to the other League 1 keepers I have seen this year which is most, I am not sure how many of them are better or come to collect the ball more, dominate their area or speak to the defenders a great deal.
That doesn't mean we need to be seeking a keeper from that level but would we rather be spending budgets elsewhere on the team or on the goalkeeper - Question?

olderskyblue

So, you would have sacked oggy after one season then? change that to "after every season".

He's a club legend, but bloody hell he used to drop some clangers, regularly. Whenever someone posts an old match up on you tube, there will be a clip of oggy mucking something up, dropping a cross, kicking shite etc. Check the FA cup final for proof. :emoji_grin: In between the gaffs, he made some great saves.

Burge is OK for this level, not great, but OK. If our scout/s? can find a better keeper that we can afford, then fine, but their record so far in getting someone to challenge Burge hasn't been that great.

Speedies_Chips

So, you would have sacked oggy after one season then? change that to "after every season".

He's a club legend, but bloody hell he used to drop some clangers, regularly. Whenever someone posts an old match up on you tube, there will be a clip of oggy mucking something up, dropping a cross, kicking shite etc. Check the FA cup final for proof. :emoji_grin: In between the gaffs, he made some great saves.

Burge is OK for this level, not great, but OK. If our scout/s? can find a better keeper that we can afford, then fine, but their record so far in getting someone to challenge Burge hasn't been that great.

True. Watch Sutton United's goals from the 1989 disaster. Oggy flapping all over the place. He would have been vilified on here if the internet had existed then.

covcity4life

I take the point about budget but my point is we neee to find a way cos we csnt keep pickijg up pts in spite of him so much every season

Forever grateful for what he did in chdckatradw and playoff wins. I just want evolution

Its same as shipley. I do not hate him desoite what ppl thibk on here. I just sais sont wabt hjm jn starting 11 late last year if he improves theb sure bring him back! Same with burge hes improved but now we in league 1 we need further improvement or we must replace.

Hope they both do it but with burge for sure i cannot see enough further self i.improvement coming.

Gazolba

Imagine where we'd be now if we'd spent the money on a decent goal-keeper instead of on Chaplin.

olderskyblue

Imagine where we'd be now if we'd spent the money on a decent goal-keeper instead of on Chaplin.

If the strikers were on form, we wouldn't be worrying about Burge.

Adge

Ok is accepting mediocrity. If we want to progress and move forward then Ok will not take us there.
What is interesting is I now get the feeling that Robins too has realised it is maybe time to move on from the hapless Burge. With recent comments regarding Burges cock ups at Walsall etc and Stockdale being “a proper keeper” I think hopefully the writing is on the wall for Burge.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

MR probably knows that we could improve in terms of the goalkeeping position (well, we could improve in every position really) but it all comes down to money - what Burge wants and what other keepers MR identifies as improvements want.

MR could decide to release all three keepers in the summer and use all the money to bring in one experienced first XI keeper with a higher pedigree, bringing Bilson in from the academy as back-up. That keeper could be the difference between us being contenders or not but it's also fraught with danger. What if that keeper turns out to be a dud for us? If he got injured we could look at bringing in loans I guess.

There are better keepers out there than Burge, but are they in the same pay scale? Do they want to join? Will we identify them? I'm sure there are plenty of keepers out there on similar money to Burge who're much worse, but also a fair few that are better in certain areas. Our defensive record this season actually isn't too bad, which is surprising considering the number of sloppy goals from set-pieces and defensive/keeper errors we've conceded.

There's lots of keepers who have seemed decent who now looked shot of confidence and a liability. Joe Hart has got so bad in the last few years I don't think I'd even trust him at our level now - looks a liability every time he plays. I used to rate Fraser Forster but he's looked dodgy when he's played. Claudio Bravo at Man C looked a clown, and the Liverpool keeper has made a few mistakes allowing the opposition to score as has Arsenal's.

Every keeper has a mistake in them and they're often extremely noticeable and costly. We notice Burge's more because we pay more attention and we're emotionally invested in them.

Sky Blue Pete

Most fans of other teams have no idea what we are going on about with Burge and didn’t he get in the league 2 team of the year.

Watched the derby keeper last night was he at fault for the goal they conceded. Burge would be absolutely blamed for it on here but would that be fair?

olderskyblue

Ok is accepting mediocrity. If we want to progress and move forward then Ok will not take us there.
What is interesting is I now get the feeling that Robins too has realised it is maybe time to move on from the hapless Burge. With recent comments regarding Burges cock ups at Walsall etc and Stockdale being “a proper keeper” I think hopefully the writing is on the wall for Burge.

Burge was OK in the checkatrade final, we won
He was OK last season, 14 clean sheets, and we got promoted.
He has been OK this season and we are higher up the league than many would have expected.
Hardly hapless.
We would all like a top class keeper here, but you have to be realistic about who we can get, and we could end up with someone worse.
All keepers at this, or any other level make errors.
But, the haters gotta hate

Ricketts

Maybe it's all part of the contract negotiations.

Burge thinking he can play at a higher level, Robins saying we need a better keeper for the level we need to be at.

In truth I think Burge has learnt from Stockdale, he was shouting in the tunnel pre-match, came out for a couple of balls he wouldn't have done previously.

I think one thing that Stockdale did demonstrate is that a young team need a confident, commanding, experienced voice. The back four played better because of him.

luwalla

Below where we are now... Chaplin has scored 7 goals and 3 assists, the season, at least 3 of those have been winning goals - 4 depending on which way you look at it - and the 3 assists were all for winning goals. that's 6/7 wins can be associated to him. Can't pin the same amount of losses on mistakes made by Burge

Gibbo

Is this a fantasy?
Stockdale on a season's loan.
We pay CCFC wages, B'ham pay the rest (they would be anyway for their 3rd choice in contract goalie)
Stockdale can be recalled if injury or suspension means B'ham need him
Burge goes to reserve to fill in if Stockdale is recalled
Dream on I suspect

ccfchoi87

From what I understand, the issue at Brum isn't wages it's a fee owed to Brighton that's triggered if he plays a certain amount of games. With all their FFP troubles, they wouldn't be allowed to pay it even if they wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread