The goal keeping situation (1 Viewer)

TewkesburySkyBlue

Some May think we’ve already done this to death but - I think if we are going to,progress we have to find a replacement for Burge .
He is just not commanding enough in his area. Looks like a rabbit in the headlights.
Seems Robins doesn’t fancy any of the others so we need to find a replacement sharpish in my humble opinion.
I fancy the lad from Walsall.
Looks like he had another good game this weekend.
Prepare for the onslaught of Burge defenders ......

rob9872

The reality is that CCFC currently look like Rab C Nesbitt. We got lucky and dated Kylie for a one off shag when she was pissed and are now stalking her. If we're not careful she'll take out a restraining order, but there's no chance she actually wants to be seen out with us and our unrealistic expectations and demands. Burge is Susan Boyle but she's our girl and our level right now, with a makeover not looking on the cards. We need to be grateful to Susan for putting up with us, stop having our head turned by women out of our league, be faithful to her and hopefully she'll get that Cowell treatment whilst learning to be a better ride.

Terry_dactyl

The reality is that CCFC currently look like Rab C Nesbitt. We got lucky and dated Kylie for a one off shag when she was pissed and are now stalking her. If we're not careful she'll take out a restraining order, but there's no chance she actually wants to be seen out with us and our unrealistic expectations and demands. Burge is Susan Boyle but she's our girl and our level right now, with a makeover not looking on the cards. We need to be grateful to Susan for putting up with us, stop having our head turned by women out of our league, be faithful to her and hopefully she'll get that Cowell treatment whilst learning to be a better ride.
Nice.

Covstu

He is prone to errors but I don’t know a keeper in this league who isn’t. Sadly keepers are only remembered for errors and not their saves and I personally think he has had a decent season so far. Burge would get into at least 10 teams in this league but would struggle to get into any in the championship

robbiethemole

Considering we had what was esentially an U23 side out and held the "mighty" Luton, I was impressed and if we have a future, these lads will be a force. Burge, however, would struggle to get in an U16 side, looking back at the replay, his body position is all wrong, he's not at 90 degrees to the ball to block it, more like 45 and it went off his chest into the net. It was an easy catch for a competent keeper and probably should be on OG, on the last save he made, he was already on the floor and the bloke mishit the shot to him. I was slated on here for suggesting he might not give 100% as his contract is out soon, that display didn't seem to me to be someone going balls out to do his job, he is the epitome of a "Dodgy Keeper". Fuck him and his agent off asap and MR find us someone decent. PUSB

jimmy the gonna

Burge is a league 2/conference level keeper - stockdale is a prem/championship keeper... I would be happy for something in between... but ultimately Burge isn’t good enough for this level.

NortonSkyBlue

Burge needs to go. Stockdale has shown in 2 games how poor Burge is.
It certainly showed how poor Rochdale and Walsall were. 1 shot was all he had to save.
For those that go to more games than me, can you name a keeper in this division who has impressed you?

NortonSkyBlue

Considering we had what was esentially an U23 side out and held the "mighty" Luton, I was impressed and if we have a future, these lads will be a force. Burge, however, would struggle to get in an U16 side, looking back at the replay, his body position is all wrong, he's not at 90 degrees to the ball to block it, more like 45 and it went off his chest into the net. It was an easy catch for a competent keeper and probably should be on OG, on the last save he made, he was already on the floor and the bloke mishit the shot to him. I was slated on here for suggesting he might not give 100% as his contract is out soon, that display didn't seem to me to be someone going balls out to do his job, he is the epitome of a "Dodgy Keeper". Fuck him and his agent off asap and MR find us someone decent. PUSB
If our players miss sitters, they are shit, other teams players miss sitters, Burge is lucky. You can't have it both ways

The Philosopher

Burge’s Confidence is shot. In turn, the confidence that his defenders have in him is reduced.

This is reflected in the decisions they make when they have the ball near their own goal. Rather than risk a pass back so that Burge can move it out wide, for example; the defenders often play a riskier / more difficult ball and moves break down.

I always struggle to understand why managers spend £1m on strikers (as we have done in total) when the goalkeeping situation isn’t nailed down.

A goalkeeper over, say, 32 is often at their peak. Years of reading the game and the authority that comes with age means that a decent keeper can not only do a good job in position but also sort out the back line.

Goalkeepers slightly older often do not command a fee, just decent wages.

Burge is in his mid 20’s & has 10 seasons ahead of him. Our average age outfield player is 22 and doesn’t have 10 seasons at this level ahead of them.

Next season, throw a big chunk of the budget on a class act keeper and see the difference. Burge, if he stays, and is in a sensible contract, can be the no.2, play in the lesser cup games and maybe have a stint on loan.

covcity4life

burge should stay forever

if he makes 7 mistakes and 5 saves a game thats healthy average and all cov fans can ask for!

#SaveBurgeBecauseHeWontDoItHimself

Skyblue_CP

Burge is a league 2/conference level keeper - stockdale is a prem/championship keeper... I would be happy for something in between... but ultimately Burge isn’t good enough for this level.
Stockdale is not a Prem goalkeeper lol and is probably just about a reasonable champ goalkeeper. He was in goal for us twice against very poor teams with virtually nothing to do, Burge is an average league 1/ L2 with potential to improve (as he has done in the last 2 seasons)

chiefdave

If we assume Burge is going one way or another who are realistic targets to bring in? We'd have to be looking at either L2 or bottom half L1 keepers or someone higher up who can't get a game. Who will be a likely target?

The Philosopher

Copied from article, 3rd choice Prem Goalkeepers:

“Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, Michel Vorm, Fabri, Claudio Bravo and Rob Elliot are just a few names that spring to mind”

Ok - so unlikely we’d be able to afford them on a perm, but offering to pay a chunk of their wages for a longish loan might work....

SkyBlueCRJ

Realistically with the wages we offer it's unlikely we could ever attract a Championship quality player to the club on a perm. Goalkeepers are a huge commodity in football so unfortunately even if we wanted to bring in someone of Stockdale's calibre in, we'd be towards the back of the queue. Our only option is recruit from League Two or below

NortonSkyBlue

Realistically with the wages we offer it's unlikely we could ever attract a Championship quality player to the club on a perm. Goalkeepers are a huge commodity in football so unfortunately even if we wanted to bring in someone of Stockdale's calibre in, we'd be towards the back of the queue. Our only option is recruit from League Two or below
On an even lighter note. Taking your point I would go for the goalkeeper in the team of the season in League two last season or a keeper that has conceded the top eight least goals in League one this season.

Magwitch

Experienced goalkeepers are an expensive item wages wise, I believe Stockdale is on way over £20k a week and is third choice at Brum.

SkyBlueCRJ

On an even lighter note. Taking your point I would go for the goalkeeper in the team of the season in League two last season or a keeper that has conceded the top eight least goals in League one this season.

Taking a bit of credit from our back line over the past two seasons aren't we?

The Philosopher

1st choice keeper at higher league club? - no chance.
2nd choice keeper in Prem? - no chance. 2nd choice at lower champ? Possibly.
3rd / (or even 4th at top Prem club) choice - possible on loan. Champ 3rd? Yes.

Scottish keeper? Worth a look. Wages up there are so much lower than here. My guess is that a Scottish second tier keeper might be worth a look.

steve82

We all know what Lee Burge is capable of, he’s acceptable for the level and for me on his current contract he’s good value for it the last two seasons.

Now that contract needs renewing and likely a improved deal too he’s no longer good value for money anymore. Personally I think you could get better value in the summer for likely similar money to what he’d be asking for.

Top of my list would be Exeter’s Cristy Pym.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Do we have a sports psychologist at the club? I'd be getting Burge in to see someone like that and try and get him toughened up mentally. He seems to have confidence issues for long periods at a time which possibly impacts how vocal he is and his confidence in himself to come out and claim things.

Cov kid 55

Some May think we’ve already done this to death but - I think if we are going to,progress we have to find a replacement for Burge .
He is just not commanding enough in his area. Looks like a rabbit in the headlights.
Seems Robins doesn’t fancy any of the others so we need to find a replacement sharpish in my humble opinion.
I fancy the lad from Walsall.
Looks like he had another good game this weekend.
Prepare for the onslaught of Burge defenders ......
You are joking? The number of posters on here who add some support to one of our players, are far, far outnumbered by those who castigate him. Apologies if this is an onslaught!

Users who are viewing this thread