The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (25 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyblueBazza

Astute seems genuine TBH.
Well done for putting some sense & sensibility into the equation.

I am surprised admin don't police & ban people from having more than 1 account on here...like what motive could anyone have other than one of bad intent?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Personally I would have two contradictory questions regarding Mart...
1. Has he finally seen the light & chilled out? STILL on holiday? Blown that gasket & is seeing out his days licking windows in an institution?
2. Has he set up a new account, or has two accounts & is now using a different one?

One thing is almost a given - he was of such character that I think he would not be able to restrain himself from comment. So either he is here under another name, or sadly unable to contribute further.

SBAndy

And why won't Labour win? I hear Labour policies are supposed to be the better out of them. Labour has at last come out as remain. Most people are supposed to want to remain now if everything on here is to be believed.

Do people consider Corbyn a worse choice than Boris?

The one thing that gets me is those who point out what one party has done in the past but if the party that they want to win has done the same they ignore it or say it was a different leader then. Of course it was. That is the same for all parties.

I am totally undecided who I am going to vote for. Don't even know if I will bother.

There are two reasons I think Labour may struggle in this election. Firstly, the remaining fractures within the PLP that undermine a lot of the good policy work done, and secondly the media portrayal of Corbyn that has been embedded since he came to become leader. From my experience, many people are not politically engaged enough to study manifestos of parties due to both interest and time, and will look to the news, be that in the form of print media or broadcast media to give them an indication of what’s going on. The (not entirely incorrect) media narrative of Corbyn being a poor leader immediately turns people off the idea of him becoming PM, and the (in my view, incorrect) rhetoric that he would be a danger to the country further deepens this stance.

Surely, though, you must accept that Blair to Corbyn is much more than merely a change of leader - it’s a complete change of dynamic and party stance. You won’t find many defending Blair’s decision to privatise portions of the NHS through PFI schemes and thinking that things like that are traditional Labour stances is wrong. They even re-branded as ‘New Labour’ so as to demonstrate a divide from the public perception of the party throughout the 70s and 80s.

SkyblueBazza

Wtf? After all that has been said & done in elections in various parts of the world...fuckwit Trump decides to wade into the Uk's!?

Brighton Sky Blue

Wtf? After all that has been said & done in elections in various parts of the world...fuckwit Trump decides to wade into the Uk's!?

Attempting to deflect from the impeachment proceedings. Senate Republicans will block it though he's as guilty as sin

Astute

There are two reasons I think Labour may struggle in this election. Firstly, the remaining fractures within the PLP that undermine a lot of the good policy work done, and secondly the media portrayal of Corbyn that has been embedded since he came to become leader. From my experience, many people are not politically engaged enough to study manifestos of parties due to both interest and time, and will look to the news, be that in the form of print media or broadcast media to give them an indication of what’s going on. The (not entirely incorrect) media narrative of Corbyn being a poor leader immediately turns people off the idea of him becoming PM, and the (in my view, incorrect) rhetoric that he would be a danger to the country further deepens this stance.

Surely, though, you must accept that Blair to Corbyn is much more than merely a change of leader - it’s a complete change of dynamic and party stance. You won’t find many defending Blair’s decision to privatise portions of the NHS through PFI schemes and thinking that things like that are traditional Labour stances is wrong. They even re-branded as ‘New Labour’ so as to demonstrate a divide from the public perception of the party throughout the 70s and 80s.
I agree with a lot of this. But what people think of Corbyn is all down to the media? No. It is all down to the man himself. The media always has a go at Boris. It has had a go at him since he was mayor of London and maybe before. The problem is that the skeletons in the closet of Boris are nowhere near as bad as those in the closet of Corbyn. For most people there are too many doubts in their minds.

The reason I brought up what Labour did under Bliar is everything is supposed to be safe under Labour but nothing safe under the Tories. But we have a majority of the time with the Tories in power and we still have what we are supposed to lose. Yet Labour seem to make a mess of things. Yet I still vote Labour.

Name the last decent Labour government.

SBAndy

I agree with a lot of this. But what people think of Corbyn is all down to the media? No. It is all down to the man himself. The media always has a go at Boris. It has had a go at him since he was mayor of London and maybe before. The problem is that the skeletons in the closet of Boris are nowhere near as bad as those in the closet of Corbyn. For most people there are too many doubts in their minds.

The reason I brought up what Labour did under Bliar is everything is supposed to be safe under Labour but nothing safe under the Tories. But we have a majority of the time with the Tories in power and we still have what we are supposed to lose. Yet Labour seem to make a mess of things. Yet I still vote Labour.

I disagree and am of the opinion that the media play a larger role than you think in the perception of both party leaders. I’m not going to claim that it’s all the media and have actually specified that some of the coverage around being a poor leader is correct. I also don’t doubt that many are put off by the skeletons you refer to, but I’m not entirely sure that your inference that Boris has fewer or more insignificant skeletons will ring true - time will be the judge of that.

I get where you’re coming from on the second point, but how much of that is self-fulfilling because of the fact that people are demonstrating the lack of trust. Furthermore, things won’t be implemented immediately but phased in over time. Going back to the drugs discussion, I’ve no doubt that the Tories’ plan is to ensure costs of the NHS increase so that a narrative of it being “too expensive to continue” can be formed.

Final point I couldn’t say as I’m not old enough to qualify my opinion on previous governments.

Sick Boy

While you keep up this nonsense I’ll keep on trying to have a grown up conversation while calling out your bull. In the meantime you’ll look more and more ridiculous.

Still wish you all the best with the family even though you’re nothing but rude and condescending towards me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re better off not bothering.

He’s rude and tries to bully people. He’s come out as full on leave on here before yet claims to be neutral.

Whatever way it goes he’ll claim to have backed that outcome in 5 years time.

Sick Boy

Personally I would have two contradictory questions regarding Mart...
1. Has he finally seen the light & chilled out? STILL on holiday? Blown that gasket & is seeing out his days licking windows in an institution?
2. Has he set up a new account, or has two accounts & is now using a different one?

One thing is almost a given - he was of such character that I think he would not be able to restrain himself from comment. So either he is here under another name, or sadly unable to contribute further.

I am not sure but I think he attended a funeral over in the UK, so maybe cannot be bothered with the crap on here, especially the ganging up that went on.

shmmeee

Difference is the centre left have been mental about Corbyn as well as the right wing. Boris literally has his own cheerleader paper in the Telegraph and gets automatic support from the biggest papers because he’s a Tory and pro Brexit.

There’s been so many outright lies printed about Corbyn: all the Remembrance Day stuff I’m still seeing posted on my FB wall about him being rude or dancing or whatever when in reality he was the only one engaging with veterans and not using it as a PR opportunity.

His policies are constantly misrepresented on all sides. And the most ridiculous reasons given like the colour of his tie or whatever. Saying he hates Britain.

The media have been bigging up Boris as a cheeky chappie great bloke for as long as I can remember.

Labour won’t win because the Remain vote is more picky than the Leave vote and because of the constant onslaught from the tabloids and the BBC.

If people looked at policy and voted accordingly i genuinely believe it’d be a Labour landslide. But the last four years have been spent telling people who aren’t millionaires to vote against their interests and they’ll do as they’re told. Look at some of the crap posted in the GE thread. Not even coherent thoughts just words they’ve been fed like “communist” “momentum” “IRA” and a lol.

djr8369

I’ve no doubt that the Tories’ plan is to ensure costs of the NHS increase so that a narrative of it being “too expensive to continue” can be formed.

Correct. I mean it makes no sense as you pay for it one way another, either as a nation, gradually through taxation or as an individual with various companies adding a huge profit on top. Of course sense doesn’t mean a lot these days and you can make people believe anything.

Just seen a discussion on LinkedIn where some guy is saying a labour government would ruin the economy, scare business away overnight and spend a fortune on nationalisation. According to this guy we need to vote Tory to get Brexit done (business can’t stomach a labour government but I guess crippling tariffs are fine) and because they will invest millions into public services!

SkyblueBazza

I am not sure but I think he attended a funeral over in the UK, so maybe cannot be bothered with the crap on here, especially the ganging up that went on.
He was as guilty as the rest of you on the "ganging up"...& was provocative in his arguments imo

clint van damme

He was as guilty as the rest of you on the "ganging up"...& was provocative in his arguments imo

I think he took more personal abuse on here than most to be honest.
Maybe he left for his own sanity. He was on here more than is good for a person in my opinion. And I'm saying that as someone who spends more time on here than he should!

djr8369

I see Trump can’t keep his mouth shut on Brexit, seemingly desperate for it to happen. I’m sure people will be as furious as they were when Obama was asked to comment on it.

RegTheDonk

No, because they'd need your to know your metabolic rate. They'd also need to know of any health problems/issues you have or will have in the next decade. They'd need to know how much exercise you're going to do for the next 10 years. They'd have to know that their menu wouldn't be altered in that time and change the calorific/fat/carb/sugar levels.

However I reckon 10 years of eating McDonalds every meal would actually lead to massive weight loss because you'd most probably be dead.
Agree entirely. In many cases you can't rely on one element to shape the future. So many other variables may come into play to change the course of the Brexit 10 year forecast.

Astute

Difference is the centre left have been mental about Corbyn as well as the right wing. Boris literally has his own cheerleader paper in the Telegraph and gets automatic support from the biggest papers because he’s a Tory and pro Brexit.

There’s been so many outright lies printed about Corbyn: all the Remembrance Day stuff I’m still seeing posted on my FB wall about him being rude or dancing or whatever when in reality he was the only one engaging with veterans and not using it as a PR opportunity.

His policies are constantly misrepresented on all sides. And the most ridiculous reasons given like the colour of his tie or whatever. Saying he hates Britain.

The media have been bigging up Boris as a cheeky chappie great bloke for as long as I can remember.

Labour won’t win because the Remain vote is more picky than the Leave vote and because of the constant onslaught from the tabloids and the BBC.

If people looked at policy and voted accordingly i genuinely believe it’d be a Labour landslide. But the last four years have been spent telling people who aren’t millionaires to vote against their interests and they’ll do as they’re told. Look at some of the crap posted in the GE thread. Not even coherent thoughts just words they’ve been fed like “communist” “momentum” “IRA” and a lol.
The one thing that always comes to my mind is how he went to IRA funerals and always gave sympathy to those in the IRA who died but refused to show sympathy to those who were totally innocent including women and children.

He has always refused to meet up with victims. It was only last year that he said there was bo contact until the day before his visit to NI but this was proven to be false. How about standing at a memorial to other terrorists and helping to lay a wreath to them but saying he wasn't a part of it? How about laying something on the memorial to the victims that were nearby?

shmmeee

The one thing that always comes to my mind is how he went to IRA funerals and always gave sympathy to those in the IRA who died but refused to show sympathy to those who were totally innocent including women and children.

He has always refused to meet up with victims. It was only last year that he said there was bo contact until the day before his visit to NI but this was proven to be false. How about standing at a memorial to other terrorists and helping to lay a wreath to them but saying he wasn't a part of it? How about laying something on the memorial to the victims that were nearby?

The wreath laying thing isn’t accurate. He was at an event for the victims of Israeli bombing campaign that happened to be at a cemetery where terrorists are also buried. It’s pure spin.

The IRA thing I’ve covered, you could lay the same blame at those on the other side who didn’t commemorate victims of unionist violence. I think it’s kinda gross to take a messy and violent period that most Irish people want to move on from for political gain TBH. Same with Israel Palestine. Yes Corbyn supports Palestine and a United Ireland. Both legitimate political causes. No he isn’t worried enough about the optics of who he comes into contact with. That shows naivety and no wish to run for high office, not malice IMO. YMMV.

shmmeee

Agree entirely. In many cases you can't rely on one element to shape the future. So many other variables may come into play to change the course of the Brexit 10 year forecast.

There’s a saying in data science: all models are wrong. Some models are useful.

We never know anything 100% but we make best guesses based on probabilities. It’s like saying Doyle once scored from 50 yards so he should always shoot from there. You and I know that on average he’ll miss far more than he hits.

Do you have a better model? If not, and you can’t find specific issues with the ones used, then you’re just relying on magical thinking.

Grendel

There’s a saying in data science: all models are wrong. Some models are useful.

We never know anything 100% but we make best guesses based on probabilities. It’s like saying Doyle once scored from 50 yards so he should always shoot from there. You and I know that on average he’ll miss far more than he hits.

Do you have a better model? If not, and you can’t find specific issues with the ones used, then you’re just relying on magical thinking.

Says someone who sticks a spreadsheet up from a left wing think tank which made a ludicrous claim about labour and Tory borrowing

Sick Boy

I’m shocked that there’s been no criticism whatsoever of Trump interfering with the election.

Oh yeah, and also Farage appearing on stage with an IRA sympathiser, which seems to get ignored by the usual hypocrites.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I’m shocked that there’s been no criticism whatsoever of Trump interfering with the election.

Oh yeah, and also Farage appearing on stage with an IRA sympathiser, which seems to get ignored by the usual hypocrites.

It’s because he’s white and right wing and we don’t mind those foreigners.

Grendel

it’s received a barrage of negative press

Grendel

We now have referendum by proxy when we could've held a referendum outright in less time than this has taken.

it would take a minimum of 22 weeks if you get an agreement in Parliament.

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread