The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (14 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

Bit of a joke. DFDS has just got the first of six mega ferries built in China. Each ship can carry a line of trucks over 11 KM long. Seem to be a bit more ambitious than Seabourne no Ships Ltd.

The bit that gets me is Eurotunnel saying that they weren’t even approached by the government and the first they heard about the contracts was when they were announced after Xmas. Surely if you’re concerned about congestion in the southeast of England at ports you would at the very least ask one of the alternatives to ports what they can or cannot do to assist in alleviating that congestion in the region. Forget giving Seaborne a contract. How has Grayling and his department not even considered the Tunnel? That’s more incompetent than the seaborne contract.

Astute

The EU, like the UK government, is run for the benefit of the people. There will always be critics and there will always be things that are wrong or should be reformed. That is the nature of things. Thank god there are people with better ideas who make their voices heard. Leaving solves nothing.
The benefit of what people?

Who said leaving will solve anything? Your problem is you don't want anything said that looks bad. But control is needed by those who run the countries and not those who you say are voted into position but are shoehorned in.

Ashdown

Bit of a joke. DFDS has just got the first of six mega ferries built in China. Each ship can carry a line of trucks over 11 KM long. Seem to be a bit more ambitious than Seabourne no Ships Ltd.
How wonderful for the Chinese again. Or at least that small percentage making some money. In the meanwhile the actual workforce will barely have a wage enough to support basic needs on. Trump is correct on the Chinese, they are stealing jobs and twisting markets at an alarming rate.

clint van damme

How wonderful for the Chinese again. Or at least that small percentage making some money. In the meanwhile the actual workforce will barely have a wage enough to support basic needs on. Trump is correct on the Chinese, they are stealing jobs and twisting markets at an alarming rate.

yeah, it's a time like this you nee to protect yourself from the knock on effects. Perhaps by being part of a large, strong, influential trading bloc.

martcov

The benefit of what people?

Who said leaving will solve anything? Your problem is you don't want anything said that looks bad. But control is needed by those who run the countries and not those who you say are voted into position but are shoehorned in.

Not by the head of the civil service you mean? He is the executive, not the legislative. The legislative need an executive to carry out their laws. They are not normally elected.

martcov

yeah, it's a time like this you nee to protect yourself from the knock on effects. Perhaps by being part of a large, strong, influential trading bloc.

Which is why the Germans want the EU monopolies commission to allow giant mergers, such as between train makers like Siemens and the French HGV makers, in order to compete on the world market against China. About like AirBus. Without such large firms the EU will be squeezed out by the USA and China. Still we are increasing our lethality and sending ships to piss the Chinese off. Probably won’t make us more competitive though.

Sky Blue Pete

Course they are that’s capitalism for you

Astute

Not by the head of the civil service you mean? He is the executive, not the legislative. The legislative need an executive to carry out their laws. They are not normally elected.
Who isn't normally elected?

Astute

Which is why the Germans want the EU monopolies commission to allow giant mergers, such as between train makers like Siemens and the French HGV makers, in order to compete on the world market against China. About like AirBus. Without such large firms the EU will be squeezed out by the USA and China. Still we are increasing our lethality and sending ships to piss the Chinese off. Probably won’t make us more competitive though.
Not as simple as that though.

Factbox: Franco-German mergers: a difficult history | Reuters

Captain Dart

Back to Selmayer, appointment broke EU rules. In consequence, nothing has happened.

Grappa

DzN9hVqXQAAdPAg.jpg

Astute

Back to Selmayer, appointment broke EU rules. In consequence, nothing has happened.

Nothing to see here. We have our big say with our MEP's.

Just waiting for someone to explain why only 15 MEP's out of 518 voted for him to keep his position and 13 of the 15 are affiliated to Selmayr and Juncker yet he keeps his position. Yet some on here kept having a go at me for asking the question.

It wouldn't surprise me if it we had another referendum and we still voted leave. Those who are not rabid supporters of the EU have had enough of it all. They just want it sorted ASAP.

Got into a deep conversation today where I only knew one person. I was the only average person. Two were very surprised I had even heard of Selmayr. It has been kept well under the radar. It sounds like Selmayr took his position because of the worry of us leaving. Many are expecting the EU to implode within 5 years of us leaving. Can't see it myself although I had it explained to me. He is French but his English is better than mine so nothing was lost in translation. I still don't understand that if they need us to stay so desperately why have they been like they have.

I was surprised to find out how much the UK makes in interest payments. We are more entwined in the financial wellbeing of the EU than I even had a clue about. It isn't about trade. But he said the trade difference is enough to tip the balance if there ends up being a trade war. And if we leave without a deal one is definitely expected. But leaving without a deal is only rated at about 5%. It was said that the real reason for nearly all in power not wanting to speak the truth to the public is the outcry of the truth being revealed. About 10b was loaned from us to Greece. We were told to hand over 20b but refused.

Just call me a bullshitter as I can't prove what I heard. I don't even know what to make of it. But it now has me worried about the future whatever happens. We can't afford to leave but we might not be able to afford to remain either. The German government wants help to sort out the financial mess that is occurring. And the bigger economies are wanting to reduce their contributions. Many countries are struggling to even keep up with their debt repayments and their economies are going into reverse.

So carry on with the debate everyone. I didn't know we were so clueless as we are yet some on here know more than most.

Sick Boy

Just waiting for someone to explain why only 15 MEP's out of 518 voted for him to keep his position and 13 of the 15 are affiliated to Selmayr and Juncker yet he keeps his position. Yet some on here kept having a go at me for asking the question.

It wouldn't surprise me if it we had another referendum and we still voted leave. Those who are not rabid supporters of the EU have had enough of it all. They just want it sorted ASAP.

Got into a deep conversation today where I only knew one person. I was the only average person. Two were very surprised I had even heard of Selmayr. It has been kept well under the radar. It sounds like Selmayr took his position because of the worry of us leaving. Many are expecting the EU to implode within 5 years of us leaving. Can't see it myself although I had it explained to me. He is French but his English is better than mine so nothing was lost in translation. I still don't understand that if they need us to stay so desperately why have they been like they have.

I was surprised to find out how much the UK makes in interest payments. We are more entwined in the financial wellbeing of the EU than I even had a clue about. It isn't about trade. But he said the trade difference is enough to tip the balance if there ends up being a trade war. And if we leave without a deal one is definitely expected. But leaving without a deal is only rated at about 5%. It was said that the real reason for nearly all in power not wanting to speak the truth to the public is the outcry of the truth being revealed. About 10b was loaned from us to Greece. We were told to hand over 20b but refused.

Just call me a bullshitter as I can't prove what I heard. I don't even know what to make of it. But it now has me worried about the future whatever happens. We can't afford to leave but we might not be able to afford to remain either. The German government wants help to sort out the financial mess that is occurring. And the bigger economies are wanting to reduce their contributions. Many countries are struggling to even keep up with their debt repayments and their economies are going into reverse.

So carry on with the debate everyone. I didn't know we were so clueless as we are yet some on here know more than most.

Why were you surprised about countries owing money to each other?

SkyblueBazza

The Single European Act 1986, Maastricht Treaty 1992, Treaty of Amsterdam 1999, Treaty of Nice 2003 and the Lisbon Treaty 2009 were all signed in plain site by sovereign British majority governments voted in with a manifesto of getting closer ties to the EU. Nothing was hidden. It just seemed to have passed you by.
The political elite have according to said article, & 30yrs release of documents, hidden information from the public. So for now at least we have no idea what might have been hidden from us regarding such treaties. You may place your full trust in these people. I choose not to.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

The political elite have according to said article, & 30yrs release of documents, hidden information from the public. So for now at least we have no idea what might have been hidden from us regarding such treaties. You may place your full trust in these people. I choose not to.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don’t place my trust in them. I just don’t ignore the fact that they were voted in on a manifesto of getting closer ties to the EU and then debated and signed the treaties in plain site. It wasn’t slipped out on a good day to bury bad news day with no one noticing. Manifestos are public, all the treaties were in the news while being debated and drawn up, nothing was hidden. Trust has nothing to do with it.

martcov

This is what happens under the British idea of reducing some tariffs under WTO rules. They are obligated to reduce for everyone.

Comment from the Australian representative at the WTO:
„ "Under WTO rules you can't just reduce tariffs to help the European Union in the absence of a free trade, you have to throw open the doors to everyone.

"Are the UK public and business really prepared to compete, one-on-one, with Chinese manufacturing, or US agriculture, or Australian beef and lamb?

"It would be an unprecedentedly sharp step to take."“

Enjoy your Brexit according to Liam Fox and Davis‘ ideas.

martcov

Selmayr has not been kept under the radar. There has been a vote on it. Just, for most countries it is not as big a deal as in the UK Brexit press. The report says the rules were stretched. The press release says they were broken. At an employment court they would take the words in the report as opposed to the words in the press release which is why Selmayr is still there. He will only go by resignation. You can’t sack people on press releases.

The next commission after Juncker May decide to implement the recommendations though. No doubt there will be a legal battle if they do.

Last edited:

martcov

The EU haven't protected us at all. The Chinese have been destroying opponents for 25 years and more.

WTO rules insist same deal offered to everyone if you reduce tariffs. Davis and Mogg want to do away with tariffs in some cases ( Mogg even unilaterally all tariffs in a no deal situation) which would be a massive incentive for China. The protections which we do have will be gone. Is it better in Brexit or in the EU?

Astute

Why were you surprised about countries owing money to each other?
What?

I didn't know we were on the same lines as Germany on how much we collect in interest from countries that can't afford to pay the interest. We are as bad as them. So now when I quote a way of countries getting out of their financial mess it is the UK as well as Germany that would have to consider wiping out debts owed.

Astute

Why do you have to try and bring this up again? You know that this was Selmayr and Juncker saying that they had done nothing wrong so there was another enquiry that said the first one was correct and that Selmayr should hand in his resignation. You also know that only 15 MEP's out of 518 voted for him to remain in his position. Yet nothing has happened. He got a position he shouldn't have got and now refuses to go with the backing of the others at the top of the EU.

Why not be truthful for once Mart?

Astute

Selmayr has not been kept under the radar. There has been a vote on it. Just, for most countries it is not as big a deal as in the UK Brexit press. The report says the rules were stretched. The press release says they were broken. At an employment court they would take the words in the report as opposed to the words in the press release which is why Selmayr is still there. He will only go by resignation. You can’t sack people on press releases.

The next commission after Juncker May decide to implement the recommendations though. No doubt there will be a legal battle if they do.
Rules were stretched? An outright lie. And you know it. Don't worry everyone has read the links and will remember them as it was only in the last couple of days. If you want to repeat your lies I will just put them up again.

Ashdown

Astute

I’m not paying to read an article in the telegraph. It started to wind me up when it stated he’s dropped project fear. He should be allowed to report on growth being reduced and still sat there are potential benefits
He has always said that anything but remaining in the EU would be bad. Now he is saying that a trade deal would be good. We all know that. He got called out on it several times.

Users who are viewing this thread