The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (13 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

View from an Irish economist via Sky News:

"What the Brits have done is really stupid," he starts off in typically forthright language.

"The world is revolving so quickly that nobody cares whether the UK gets this right or not. We in Ireland obviously have a bigger exposure culturally, linguistically and historically, geographically to them.

"But ultimately we should use this opportunity to enhance our brand as a globalised place to do business. And if they want to go down some sort of nationalist rathole…off they go."

Fair comment.

And yet many remainers believe Scotland could be and independent Nation and support a referendum

skybluetony176

Go on then Mart. How about you explaining the advantages for Ireland of the UK leaving the EU.

A lot of the countries around us see an opportunity to pick up the pieces we drop Ireland, France and the Netherlands especially. Companies are opening EU offices in these countries to maintain an EU presence being just one very easily measured and tangible way of seeing that. Including Rees-Moggs Hedge Funds brand spanking new office in Dublin.
Between giving EU countries the opportunity to take business away from the U.K. and handing out contracts to EU ferry companies and printers we seem to be going out our way to assist the EU in mitigating any losses they may incur by our decision to leave. How nice of us.

skybluetony176

We were promised a roll over of 40 EU deals the day after Brexit. We have 3 small countries lined up including the Faroes.

I was reading the other day that it equates to 11% of our free trade outside of the EU. So if we crash out of the EU 55% of our trade will go from free trade to WTO overnight. Something to look forward to.

skybluetony176

Think Jacob said of course it will affect us in the short term. In 50 years we will be in a much better position ffs

He’s probably right on that though. In 50 years we’ll have rejoined the EU. We’ll probably be a nett recipient of EU as well having thrown ourselves on the rocks of Brexit and murdered our economy.

skybluetony176

Is that us or France as both sides will be doing it.

The checks will be the same as now. But some love making out it will be a bigger problem than now. If it will be a problem if and when we leave the EU it is a problem now. If it is a problem now it needs to end. And how do we end it?

So some on here are agreeing with those who want to get our borders back. Does that make them pro leave because of the border problem?

Am I wrong to want it to stay as it is now?

If France will be doing it why are we making preparations for lorry parks on Motorways?

martcov

Most MP's want remain. There is no doubt on that.

The difference is that we have many who see a big thing as getting our borders back. No checks? Not exactly right. The checks will be the same as now. If not there would be massive queues. Same as now? It would be different in one way if we do leave the EU. The invisible border that doesn't presently exist. A lot of this crap is all about word play.

We would be much better off if they could just say it as it is. But you don't even get that on this thread.

Lots of people are saying it as it is. Remain is the most sensible solution, but then you come out with Juncker, Selmayr, Merkel or Barnier. Some people obviously don’t want to hear the truth.

martcov

Grendel

Apparently not a physical office, but funds based in Ireland. Financial centre in Dublin is booming and there are plenty of jobs in finance.

Now just for Sunday: New poll finds 60% of the public backs People’s Vote

Poll shows majority support for people‘s vote in every region in the UK.

Awaits.
Media bias, rubbish polling, etc etc etc.

No it says it actually accepts the result and wants to leave the Eu

Astute

Are there many countries in the world that search everything and everyone?

Flying into Palermo once I got searched and detained for 2 hours and everytime I’ve flown into Treviso I’ve been held and had documents checked by the police making phone calls - maybe it’s just me ;)
Exactly.

They will keep everything as it is until they are prepared for the utter chaos of checking more if we end up leaving without a deal.

Astute

For who? Ireland? A no deal would majorly impact Ireland? No doubt about it.

If they’re attracting large corporations looking for an English speaking country providing acccess to the EU, then I’d say that’s goinf to be a pretty good outcome, wouldn’t you?
As you say IF.

The post that started it all off said something totally different. And you pulled me up for pointing it out.

This is all about ifs and buts. Yet some make out that they know what will happen. Strangely enough we don't even know if we are going to leave yet or if we do what kind of deal if there is one at all.

Astute

Lots of people are saying it as it is. Remain is the most sensible solution, but then you come out with Juncker, Selmayr, Merkel or Barnier. Some people obviously don’t want to hear the truth.

WOW Mart has come out with a truthful post.

Yes some don't want to hear the truth about Juncker or Selmayr. You especially. And you missed out Tusk. It shows the set up of the EU for what it is. You have Merkel and the other leaders that say the EU needs to reform. How is that going? It won't happen will it.

What is your problem with Barnier? He is the only one at the top of the EU without a very dodgy past. He hasn't been disrespectful. He has handled the situation he has been put in well.

Astute

It shows how wrong the guesswork has been so far. And when you consider how most countries of the EU have been doing lately it makes our numbers look even better.

But it doesn't mean all things will be as good in the future. Yet there will be some that will celebrate the numbers saying that all will be well. The truth should be somewhere in the middle. But there should be no surprise if we do either much better or much worse than expected.

It is all guesswork. And why should we think more of one guess than another? Hardly any of the so called experts have been anywhere near right so far.

Astute

Apparently not a physical office, but funds based in Ireland. Financial centre in Dublin is booming and there are plenty of jobs in finance.

Now just for Sunday: New poll finds 60% of the public backs People’s Vote

Poll shows majority support for people‘s vote in every region in the UK.

Awaits.
Media bias, rubbish polling, etc etc etc.
The New European - Wikipedia

And how about YouGov that are not trusted because they use weighted results and have the Tories well in the lead?

Have you got anything that isn't from something with a 100% bias. Quoting The New European is as bad as quoting the Mail. People with no interest in anything other than putting their own agenda forward.

Sky Blue Pete

It shows how wrong the guesswork has been so far. And when you consider how most countries of the EU have been doing lately it makes our numbers look even better.

But it doesn't mean all things will be as good in the future. Yet there will be some that will celebrate the numbers saying that all will be well. The truth should be somewhere in the middle. But there should be no surprise if we do either much better or much worse than expected.

It is all guesswork. And why should we think more of one guess than another? Hardly any of the so called experts have been anywhere near right so far.
It’s better than guesswork at its best and unbiased and it bloody should be

Grendel

Italy have slipped into recession and our revised growth forecast is better than Germany

Astute

Most accurate thing from the BBC for ages. I don't want to read something because it says what I want it to say. I want to read something because it gives me information about what is going on.

I have had enough of the pro EU and pro leave rubbish. All I want is the truth. And the truth of how it is isn't easy to find these days. You have to read both biased sides and decipher the way they are worded.

martcov

WOW Mart has come out with a truthful post.

Yes some don't want to hear the truth about Juncker or Selmayr. You especially. And you missed out Tusk. It shows the set up of the EU for what it is. You have Merkel and the other leaders that say the EU needs to reform. How is that going? It won't happen will it.

What is your problem with Barnier? He is the only one at the top of the EU without a very dodgy past. He hasn't been disrespectful. He has handled the situation he has been put in well.

We’ve done that about Juncker and Selmayr to death. But is absolutely irrelevant to whether we stay or leave. The truth is that the best solution to the current problems is to remain. You just go to your favourite bogeymen to distract from the truth.

martcov

Most accurate thing from the BBC for ages. I don't want to read something because it says what I want it to say. I want to read something because it gives me information about what is going on.

I have had enough of the pro EU and pro leave rubbish. All I want is the truth. And the truth of how it is isn't easy to find these days. You have to read both biased sides and decipher the way they are worded.

Yeah. That’s why you quote a Belfast paper that agrees with your views and moan when I quote an Irish economist that says Brexit is a stupid mistake. All in your neutral quest for the truth. When I suggest that the easiest solution to the present Brexit problems is to remain, you go on about Selmayr and Juncker who are irrelevant to our more pressing problems or to Brexit.

martcov

I have. I said the day after on TV that it was a stupid decision and that Northern Ireland would be the problem. Events continue to prove me right.

martcov

The New European - Wikipedia

And how about YouGov that are not trusted because they use weighted results and have the Tories well in the lead?

Have you got anything that isn't from something with a 100% bias. Quoting The New European is as bad as quoting the Mail. People with no interest in anything other than putting their own agenda forward.

Haha. People with no interest in anything other than putting their own agenda forward......

Hahaha

Astute

are you one of these that thinks the Bank of England is biased
There is being biased and the bloke in charge being wrong.

Carney didn't see the last crash coming. Many others did. If we voted Brexit Carney said how bad things would get. He got it wrong. Last year he said Europe would do well but we wouldn't. He wasn't right there either.

As usual it is all guesswork. But Carney should be better than what he has been so far. He says we have a 1 in 4 chance of having a recession this year. I'll take them odds.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/...ing-to-the-bank-of-englands-growth-forecasts/

The next one is an interesting read where Carney says Brexit will affect other EU countries more than us. It also shows how wrong he has been so far. So will it or won't it? He has been wrong more often than not so I would prefer him to continue saying how bad it might get. It has been said that he gives these predictions to try and help get May's deal through

Mark Carney eats humble pie on Brexit

Astute

Haha. People with no interest in anything other than putting their own agenda forward......

Hahaha
So it isn't a pro EU entity found by yourself?

Hahaha fingers in ears trying to make people think that it isn't pro EU when they even say they are now.

Astute

Yeah. That’s why you quote a Belfast paper that agrees with your views and moan when I quote an Irish economist that says Brexit is a stupid mistake. All in your neutral quest for the truth. When I suggest that the easiest solution to the present Brexit problems is to remain, you go on about Selmayr and Juncker who are irrelevant to our more pressing problems or to Brexit.
Who have you quoted? Not seen any name. Just words.

So are you saying that the Belfast paper is biased towards Brexit? How low can you stoop?

Astute

We’ve done that about Juncker and Selmayr to death. But is absolutely irrelevant to whether we stay or leave. The truth is that the best solution to the current problems is to remain. You just go to your favourite bogeymen to distract from the truth.
You brought up Juncker, Selmayr and Barnier. So are you blaming me for you bringing them up?

The truth? You wouldn't know it if it smacked you in the face.

Or are you saying that Merkel doesn't want reform in the EU? Because you brought her up in the same post.

So why is it that just about every leader of the countries in the EU want the EU to reform but you constantly defend them?

martcov

You brought up Juncker, Selmayr and Barnier. So are you blaming me for you bringing them up?

Or are you saying that Merkel doesn't want reform in the EU? Because you brought her up in the same post.

So why is it that just about every leader of the countries in the EU want the EU to reform but you constantly defend them?

Everyone wants some sort of reform. Some big, some small. The same in every parliament. We are always trying to better things. We, being humans. Some have regressive ideas and some progressive. I doubt whether you would agree with all forms of reform for the EU. It is not a problem, it is an asset. Which reforms and when they get passed is up to the democratic process.

SkyblueBazza

Interestingly shows what power the 'Sovereign nation' members have over the EU agenda setters. Everyone wants reform, except the ones that need to be reformed...& they can, & no doubt do, destabilise (for want of a better word) the arguments leading to poor agreement or acceptance of what reforms to drive through.
So it is all just business as usual!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grendel

You mean that country led by gobby populists who went against the advice of the EU and caused uncertainty about their borrowing requirements?

Were they governed by “gobby populists” when their debt piled up to two trillion?

Actually your whole comments sums up you and the tossers who run Brussels. If there is an elected government they don’t like they sneer at it, insult it and ultimately prevent it from doing what in wants.

Well done. Another post to show why we should leave.

Thanks

Sick Boy

We are all still waiting for imminent collapse of the EU which was triggered by Brexit. France, Holland, Austria and Italy all look set to leave as predicted by Farage and his leaver disciples. I’m surprised the whole continent hasn’t descended into anarchy and demanded referendums to leave too.

martcov

Were they governed by “gobby populists” when their debt piled up to two trillion?

Actually your whole comments sums up you and the tossers who run Brussels. If there is an elected government they don’t like they sneer at it, insult it and ultimately prevent it from doing what in wants.

Well done. Another post to show why we should leave.

Thanks

You telling me about insulting people? Well, tbf you actually do know what you are talking about on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread