The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (56 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluegod

DtpWFZUWoAAhC_z.jpg:large

Isn't this out of date? Would ignore this unless it is after the deal with the EU was released...

Sorry if this was released after, but can't tell as you have just copied the table not the link

martcov

If you say so.

Yes, he is remarkable. I suspect I know who will benefit from deregulation of labour and the environment that will follow leave. It won’t be people in Sunderland or other neglected areas.

Why is dark money flowing into think tanks, amongst 9 organisations conveniently based in the same Tufton Street House? Why does an organisation,owned by 2 people and registered as a charity, call itself Tax Payers Alliance, but doesn’t allow tax payers any say, back Brexit? Could it be to privatise everything and reduce tax for the rich? Also at Tufton Street.

As for the EU summit off couple days ago, they rejected Macron‘s reform suggestion. In particular Merkel had doubts about transfer payments. Not saying they won’t come, but they will be limited.

NorthernWisdom

She has forced us into this shitty position because of her determination to end freedom of movement. 'queue jumpers', 'citizens of nowhere', Windrush, 'go home' vans, 'hostile environment'.
No, sorry, no sympathy from me.
It's possible to argue that she has to pander to the more vocal, more, errrm, extreme end of her party to try and get things through. The moderates, by definition are, well, moderate, and tend to fall into line more easily.

Her biggest mistake was choosing to become Prime Minister after Cameron - whoever ended up there was on a hiding to nothing. Cameron's stupidity has put his party and the country in this position and it's amazing he escapes as much as he does.

martcov

It's possible to argue that she has to pander to the more vocal, more, errrm, extreme end of her party to try and get things through. The moderates, by definition are, well, moderate, and tend to fall into line more easily.

Her biggest mistake was choosing to become Prime Minister after Cameron - whoever ended up there was on a hiding to nothing. Cameron's stupidity has put his party and the country in this position and it's amazing he escapes as much as he does.

Theresa May is the only one up until now who has actually put leave in writing and up for discussion. No one else has defined leave in all it’s details. This is it. This is what was voted for. The only deal on the table. No one likes it, but perhaps people should have thought about it more before they voted, or Cameron put a binary question on an unknown quantity to the people.

All other versions of leave are, by definition ( only deal on the table), not possible. You can say they are, but not without the agreement of 27 sovereign nations and/or wrecking the economy.

It should be no surprise. We helped write the rules of the SM and CU, and the EU said from the outset that we couldn’t have our cake and eat it. Even if they hadn’t said that, it was glaringly obvious that we wouldn’t get something for nothing. It don’t work like that on this planet.

ccfc92

I still fail to see how Cameron can escape responsibility?

He arrogantly assumed Remain would win, then disappeared with his tail between his legs after the result and left it for someone else to deal with when it backfired.

Surely, there should be some form of him having to answer for his actions?

Grappa

I'd agree with you if she hadn't displayed the same sort of behaviour as home secretary. I genuinely believe she is xenophobic.

NorthernWisdom

I'd agree with you if she hadn't displayed the same sort of behaviour as home secretary.
That is indeed where I struggle to defend her!

I do think though that playing the ball, not the (wo)man... whoever had been in charge since the referendum would have ended up alienating more than they'd please, by definition.

Add in the fact that her first Brexit Secretary was woefully underprepared and ended up leaving much of the work to the Prime Minister, then there's been little support, too, as many figures... in her own party are happy to snipe from the sidelines rather than attempt to be constructive and help her, as it's better for their own career, if not the country.

'Bloody mess' is probably the most apposite phrase!

skybluetony176

I still fail to see how Cameron can escape responsibility?

He arrogantly assumed Remain would win, then disappeared with his tail between his legs after the result and left it for someone else to deal with when it backfired.

Surely, there should be some form of him having to answer for his actions?

We need Danny Dyer to hunt him down

skybluetony176

I have little to zero sympathy for May. I admire her resolve but the only reason I have that is she’s consistently reversed herself into corners with her rhetoric (out means out, leave means leave ect) and her actions yet still clings onto the leg of power like a love sick turd. She’s tried to bypass the sovereignty of parliament several times and each time she’s had to reverse out of that corner when it was obvious she shouldn’t have driven into in the first place. From Judicial Reviews (feels dirty using that word and in no way related to SISU) to numerous defeats in Parliament. All of which could have been avoided if she’d only taken the logical, correct and in some cases only possible course of action in the first place.

Ashdown

Mrs May has screwed up at so many points along the way over the last two years that it is difficult to conclude anything other than she is the worst PM in living memory.
She fucked up her last job too.....maybe if she had done that properly we wouldn't be where we are !

Paxman II

I have avoided this but the way our parliment and it's members are acting is bewildering. Sovreinty lies with the people. The people voted and we must leave.
The patronising comments by many a politician and others is galling. I understood the vote. Leave or stay.
For me personally it was not about 'making a deal'. The WTO rules are clear and we would be fine leaving on that basis. Far too much emphasis has been weighted in assuming the EU is all so powerful and without it we would struggle economically. That's simply not true.
The level of fear mongering is palable. So I'm a leaver yes, but not for economical, freedom of movement or any other multitude of reasons but one. Sovreinty bringing with it our independence and being in control of our own destiny, rules, laws and not dictated to by outsiders.

Sick Boy

I have avoided this but the way our parliment and it's members are acting is bewildering. Sovreinty lies with the people. The people voted and we must leave.
The patronising comments by many a politician and others is galling. I understood the vote. Leave or stay.
For me personally it was not about 'making a deal'. The WTO rules are clear and we would be fine leaving on that basis. Far too much emphasis has been weighted in assuming the EU is all so powerful and without it we would struggle economically. That's simply not true.
The level of fear mongering is palable. So I'm a leaver yes, but not for economical, freedom of movement or any other multitude of reasons but one. Sovreinty bringing with it our independence and being in control of our own destiny, rules, laws and not dictated to by outsiders.

Actually parliament is sovereign.

Grappa

Sovereignty lies with parliament, not the people. The rest of it I can't be arsed with.

clint van damme

How would we be fine operating under WTO rules?

Captain Dart

I am sure that we would be allowed to remain.

However, the complete reversal of the referendum could unleash something dreadful in the UK and massively increase nationalism. Therefore for me the most sensible compromise between the 2 would be membership of the EEA with the ability to apply a brake on migration if the country could demonstrate it was negatively impacting the country.

I would also invest in areas that have been left behind and ignored by those in charge. Whenever I venture up north from the south coast the state of the country is a massive contrast with it down here, again, its a domestic policy of being London-centric.

May is about to sign a UN policy on Migration, a lot of countries won't sign, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, USA, the UK will make a big mistake if it signs.
I signed the petition, the numbers are really ramping up now the problems it will bring are becoming apparent.
Petition: The UK should not agree the UN's Global Compact for Migration

Grendel

There are just too many uninformed people who were trusted to make a decision this serious. Ban referendums forever.

Perhaps we should also have an intelligence test as to who can vote in general elections as well? Sounds like s plan.

Grendel

I’m sure you are. So do you believe everyone should have a vote in a general election who are of the minimum age - or like say Stalin would claim - they need a certain intelligence to do so?

martcov

Explain how WTO is fine please. An example: 90% of Welsh Lamb gets exported to the EU with no tariffs. WTO tariff on lamb is 40%. Do you think the Welsh farmers will be 'fine'?

Parliament is sovereign. Not the people. We have the sovereign right to trigger or revoke article 50. That was confirmed
2 days ago by the EU. Our sovereignty was confirmed by our parliament in the first sentence of the Brexit white paper. Most EU laws since the EU starte, well over 90%, were approved by us and 2% voted against by us. In other words EU laws are our laws. Most laws are not EU laws. We will struggle outside the EU. 35 of the UN countries are classed as advanced economies, 27 of which are in Europe and the EU has comprehensive trade deals with 4 of the rest. The Europeans are our neighbours and our goods are exported tariff free and frictionless. What laws are dictated to us by outsiders where we have no say?

dancers lance

If people, including parliament, parliament being sovereign not the people, want another referendum then it’s democratic to give them one. Finality is not the language of democracy. ( Benjamin Disraeli ).
"To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge" (Benjamin Disraeli)

Grappa

"To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge" (Benjamin Disraeli)
"I seem, then, in just this little thing to be wiser than this man at any rate, that what I do not know I do not think I know either." - Plato's Apology of Socrates

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I have never mentioned how well or not my pub is doing. You said I was sneering at pub goers. I had to answer that crap. Astute mentioned about people moving in and complaining about the noise from existing properties and I agreed with him and gave my example and mentioned an event in my pub . Why I mentioned pubs in your case is the timing of your aggressive and ill informed posts. As you say, you come on for entertainment. It seems that, judging by your behaviour, the entertainment is coming on after a few pints ( no, I cannot know that for a fact ), and having a go at someone who has a different point of view from yourself. We all know you voted leave for your kids. It is not going well and has split the country. You even said your kids aren’t bothered. You are obviously angry about that, and then you ask me if I‘m insecure. Weird.
Hahaha. You really are hilarious. For you to talk about my kids reaction and that I'm angry about something is your desparate way of trying to justify your own sad , lonely life.
And before you mention that I've probably just left the pub, because I happen to come on here in the evenings, it's simply because I've been at work all day
..whereas you spend most day on here, which says a great deal about you.

I dare you to have one day off from this thread . Go on. There's a challenge.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yes, but unfortunately not all leavers would accept Norway. Many remainers would, if it meant we could move on.
Me and my ilk would like a second referendum, but would only be happy if there was a majority decision,say, of 60% plus. Either way actually. What do people like me gain if it is 52/48 again, but for remain? The country is still split and there is no clear mandate for remain. The uncertainty and the rage continues, just the people saying „you lost, get over it“ will have changed.
Same old, same old.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Explain how WTO is fine please. An example: 90% of Welsh Lamb gets exported to the EU with no tariffs. WTO tariff on lamb is 40%. Do you think the Welsh farmers will be 'fine'?

Parliament is sovereign. Not the people. We have the sovereign right to trigger or revoke article 50. That was confirmed
2 days ago by the EU. Our sovereignty was confirmed by our parliament in the first sentence of the Brexit white paper. Most EU laws since the EU starte, well over 90%, were approved by us and 2% voted against by us. In other words EU laws are our laws. Most laws are not EU laws. We will struggle outside the EU. 35 of the UN countries are classed as advanced economies, 27 of which are in Europe and the EU has comprehensive trade deals with 4 of the rest. The Europeans are our neighbours and our goods are exported tariff free and frictionless. What laws are dictated to us by outsiders where we have no say?
Everyone knows this stuff. Do you think they're all thick ?

Users who are viewing this thread