The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (13 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

The government is still going to have to borrow more than predicted which is why I said it could be a factor in the drop in the value of the pound
You mean a slight drop after gains? There were quite large gains when it was seen that Corbyn didn't get voted in.

It doesn't take a lot for movement in exchange rates.

Now Brexit is looking as though it will happen the pound has risen against the Euro and Dollar.

clint van damme

You mean a slight drop after gains? There were quite large gains when it was seen that Corbyn didn't get voted in.

It doesn't take a lot for movement in exchange rates.

Now Brexit is looking as though it will happen the pound has risen against the Euro and Dollar.

The OSB has said ver the coming projected tax takes will be down against previous predictions so the government will have to borrow more. Again, I'm not saying that is why the pound has dropped but it could be.

SkyBlueDom26

See Guy Verhofstadt is trying to tell MP's to vote down the brexit bill tomorrow by calling it stupid, the guy is an absolute disgrace and the only 'stupid' thing is himself

Grendel

The guy is on a twitter rant. He needs to calm down - he’s saying Brussels don’t have to sign the WA so this could be fun

tisza

See Guy Verhofstadt is trying to tell MP's to vote down the brexit bill tomorrow by calling it stupid, the guy is an absolute disgrace and the only 'stupid' thing is himself
They don't get that many people resent and resist this outside interfering.
Johnson tells Germans to oppose merkel or Corbyn tells the French to resist macron and they're not going to like it. Like the Luxemburg PM trying to embarrass the British PM - doesn't go down well with many people

fatso

I’d love it, LOVE IT, if Verhofstadt tried to derail Brexit now, that would hand Boris the perfect excuse to tell the EU to fuck off and leave now with no deal.
And he could blame Verhofstadt and the EU beurocrats for doing it.
The perfect win win if ever there was one.

tisza

sorry telling Euro MPs or British MPs?
All i've seen is he wants EU citizens already legally in UK and UK citizens legally in EU to have their existing rights protected.

fatso

All i've seen is he wants EU citizens already legally in UK and UK citizens legally in EU to have their existing rights protected.
That was already promised and covered in Boris’s exit deal, so fuck knows what this blowhole is on about now.

Astute

And this is what is needed. We can't go any further in protecting our rights to stay in France as nobody knows what is going on. There are thousands of us having the same problem in France alone. Now we can't do anything until something is announced either way.

Astute

That was already promised and covered in Boris’s exit deal, so fuck knows what this blowhole is on about now.
Nothing is signed anywhere.

There has been words but nothing else. The odds are we can stay as we are adding to the local economy. And the person in charge of the whole district has said that he wants everyone to stay. But until there is something official there is nothing that can be done.

My 18 year old is giving everything she has got. She started taking her tests in the French language after just two months. That is excellent as she took German at school. She wants to be an English teacher at the school she is at. They are giving her all the help they can as they want her to teach there. She will be able to go to Uni in 18 months. But is she wasting her time at an age she should be studying for her future?

It is more serious than some think.

tisza

And this is what is needed. We can't go any further in protecting our rights to stay in France as nobody knows what is going on. There are thousands of us having the same problem in France alone. Now we can't do anything until something is announced either way.
Yep. Not so many of us here but Hungary the same. This "associated" citizenship is obviously of great interest as well. Also having issues of what happens during the exchange of passports as law is you have to have picture id and a driving licence or residency card isn't sufficient.
We can stay (Hungarian govt committed to that) unless there is anything "reckless" from UK which they could then mirror. I've a Hungarian wife and kids but really don't want to have to renounce British citizenship in order to get Hungarian citizenship and an automatic right to stay (plus the language is a killer :) )

Astute

Yep. Not so many of us here but Hungary the same. This "associated" citizenship is obviously of great interest as well. Also having issues of what happens during the exchange of passports as law is you have to have picture id and a driving licence or residency card isn't sufficient.
We can stay (Hungarian govt committed to that) unless there is anything "reckless" from UK which they could then mirror. I've a Hungarian wife and kids but really don't want to have to renounce British citizenship in order to get Hungarian citizenship and an automatic right to stay (plus the language is a killer :) )
France is the same as the UK. Nobody knows how many have moved here. Lots more are arriving each week trying to beat Brexit. Even healthcare is a problem unless you are a pensioner.

Can imagine how hard it is to learn Hungarian. French is hard enough. Easy to get the basics. But you need a lot more knowledge of the language than basic to deal with officialdom.

tisza

France is the same as the UK. Nobody knows how many have moved here. Lots more are arriving each week trying to beat Brexit. Even healthcare is a problem unless you are a pensioner.

Can imagine how hard it is to learn Hungarian. French is hard enough. Easy to get the basics. But you need a lot more knowledge of the language than basic to deal with officialdom.
tbf in Budapest a lot done in spoken English but obviously paperwork is Hungarian.
As far as i know it seems to differ here from UK in that for residency you've always had to have an address, proof of sufficient funds, can't get social security until after a longish period (not sure exactly) and need health insurance.(EHIC only covers basics). Buying property not easy either - need special licences for non-Hungarians
one of the issues for EU is how many Brits are living in EU without properly registering (same thing as people make a fuss about in UK). Spoke to a Hungarian friend (who works in Brussels) and the unofficial number is in excess of 700,000.

Sick Boy

tbf in Budapest a lot done in spoken English but obviously paperwork is Hungarian.
As far as i know it seems to differ here from UK in that for residency you've always had to have an address, proof of sufficient funds, can't get social security until after a longish period (not sure exactly) and need health insurance.(EHIC only covers basics). Buying property not easy either - need special licences for non-Hungarians
one of the issues for EU is how many Brits are living in EU without properly registering (same thing as people make a fuss about in UK). Spoke to a Hungarian friend (who works in Brussels) and the unofficial number is in excess of 700,000.
It's the same here, you need to produce a work contract with a couple of recent payslips and the relevant IDs documents, that is then followed by police checks to verify you are living in the property and to check your documents once again.

I think a lot of people are unaware of the need to get residency in the country, the first time I moved here I didn't get it for around 8 months, I had no idea it was a requirement to legally live here.

tisza

I think a lot of people are unaware of the need to get residency in the country, the first time I moved here I didn't get it for around 8 months, I had no idea it was a requirement to legally live here.
One of the "things" about free movement is that authorities can't check when people arrived. I'm about 3 hours drive from 6 EU "borders" so if i said i just drove in from Austria or Czech etc. no-one can prove it (especially if you haven't changed your reg plates - something else many "expats" ignore).
I'll be honest and say I didn't change my driving licence until this year when it became a possibility i might have to sit a Hungarian driving test as well as fork out a fair bit of cash for compulsory driving lessons. i also had no idea about international driving licences either.

Sick Boy

One of the "things" about free movement is that authorities can't check when people arrived. I'm about 3 hours drive from 6 EU "borders" so if i said i just drove in from Austria or Czech etc. no-one can prove it (especially if you haven't changed your reg plates - something else many "expats" ignore).
I'll be honest and say I didn't change my driving licence until this year when it became a possibility i might have to sit a Hungarian driving test as well as fork out a fair bit of cash for compulsory driving lessons. i also had no idea about international driving licences either.
I think it is more applicable if you require the use of public serives though. Over here the Carabinieri actively record foreign plates within a particular area and a lot of the time will stop them to record them as being in Italy, I have a colleague who had to take his car back to Greece to avoid fines/having it confiscated...I think that this is a law that Italy brought in itself though.
I changed mine earlier this year too but if you have an EU licence from another country you don't actually need to change it.

shmmeee

So you think of a leader of a Union doesn’t allow one of its members to leave that’s acting like a dictator. Interesting

SkyBlueDom26

So you think of a leader of a Union doesn’t allow one of its members to leave that’s acting like a dictator. Interesting

We should be allowed to Fucking leave!!!! We voted to 3 years ago if you remember? Oh no you'd probably deny the referendum even happened

tisza

I have a colleague who had to take his car back to Greece to avoid fines/having it confiscated...I think that this is a law that Italy brought in itself though.
same in Hungary as it's considered tax evasion. Import a car and you have to pay duty depending on value, age, etc. Didn't use to be able to register right hand drive vehicles but not sure now. See a lot of Slovakian plates in Hungary as much cheaper to buy a car there and even then reregister it. Putting a new vehicle on the road in Hungary expensive.

Sick Boy

same in Hungary as it's considered tax evasion. Import a car and you have to pay duty depending on value, age, etc. Didn't use to be able to register right hand drive vehicles but not sure now. See a lot of Slovakian plates in Hungary as much cheaper to buy a car there and even then reregister it. Putting a new vehicle on the road in Hungary expensive.

Yes, it is the same here with people trying to dodge tax. Even buying a secondhand car here is expensive, I paid €600 just to change ownership a couple of months ago!!

Astute

So the Boris plan has been voted through to the next stage with a majority of 124.

Now to scrutinise the details of it.....

Enough there to cause more problems. Three days of arguing worse than children in a playground again.

Sick Boy

So the Boris plan has been voted through to the next stage with a majority of 124.

Now to scrutinise the details of it.....

Enough there to cause more problems. Three days of arguing worse than children in a playground again.

Unsurprisingly the oven ready Brexit deal has been amended to strip out workers’ rights.

Users who are viewing this thread