The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (46 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shmmeee

And then another 90 day extension!

Because we can do in 90 days what we haven’t been able to do in decades and come up with a workable proposal that doesn’t reopen The Troubles?

This is why we need a referendum. Politicians won’t break cover and pick who to piss off.

Astute

Because we can do in 90 days what we haven’t been able to do in decades and come up with a workable proposal that doesn’t reopen The Troubles?

This is why we need a referendum. Politicians won’t break cover and pick who to piss off.
Another referendum won't piss people off?

A trade deal with the EU would stop the need for the bullshit of the backstop. But we are not allowed to talk trade until the Ireland problem is solved. Why is this?

skybluetony176

A trade deal with the EU would stop the need for the bullshit of the backstop. But we are not allowed to talk trade until the Ireland problem is solved. Why is this?

Why does it matter then if Germany are going to bend over for us because they’ll still want to sell us cars and the French will bend over backwards for us because they still want to sell us cheese and wine? Remember?

shmmeee

We have talked trade though, they’ve bent on that demand. And no it wouldn’t at all. We’d still have the same choice we’ve got to Male now. You’re taking the Boris line of “I’m sure we’ll figure it out” when all evidence suggests otherwise.

The problem is the first referendum was badly designed and has lead to this mess where any decision can be painted as a political mistake and not the will of the people if it goes wrong.

Otis

So, just catching up and not knowing that much, are we still saying that Scottish goalkeepers are crap?

I'm sure I heard there was a result on Tuesday and it was 11 nil.

dutchman

The problem is the first referendum was badly designed and has lead to this mess where any decision can be painted as a political mistake and not the will of the people if it goes wrong.

But that was never about leaving the EU, it was about silencing critics in the Tory Party. If Cameron had thought there was one chance in a million of it going against him he would never have called it in the first place.

chiefdave

He can say whatever he wants and the usual sycophants will defend him
I'm beginning to think there's no limit to what people will accept from him. Trump said he could shoot someone and not lose any votes and it's starting to seem the same with Johnson.

His behaviour in parliament today is nothing short of a disgrace. And to top it all off he's walked out in a huff despite the speaking telling him to stay.

SkyblueBazza

LIVE: 'Best way to honour murdered MP Jo Cox is to get Brexit done', says Boris Johnson

Whatever side you're on, surely you have to agree this is beyond shocking.
The snippet itself looks shocking, couldn't agree more.

Read the whole passage of what he said on that & it might be somewhat less shocking...

Johnson replies: "The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox and, indeed, the best way to bring this country together would be, I think, to get Brexit done.
"I absolutely do, I think it is the continuing inability of this parliament to get Brexit done that is causing the anxiety and the ill-feeling that is now rampant in our country.
"Get it done and we will solve the problem."

In other words the threats they are receiving from some of these nutters are in his opinion bought about by their own behaviours in doing their upmost to thwart Brexit.

I agree he had absolutely no need to use Jo Cox's name to make that point though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Somehow he's managing to be worse than I thought he would be!
He's pretty much exactly what I expected. Still cannot believe how they put him there given his endless list of gaffes...he played them all well in the leadership election, & I have a suspiscion he's doing the same again with Parliament.

Astute

We have talked trade though, they’ve bent on that demand. And no it wouldn’t at all. We’d still have the same choice we’ve got to Male now. You’re taking the Boris line of “I’m sure we’ll figure it out” when all evidence suggests otherwise.

They have talked but not negotiated. Massive difference.

If there was a free trade agreement there would be no problem in Ireland at all. So if they negotiated a trade deal first they would know what would be needed.

Or is this the problem?

Ian1779

E

Labours position is to not have a position. Corbyn has sat on the fence so long that he must have a whole tree up his arse.

Everything Corbyn has said he wants has changed. Out of the EU became stay in the EU. Calling for a GE became turning down a GE when offered.

The Lib Dems were finished as a party of choice. They laid their cards on the table as remain. They are now the second party because of this. People are now unsure of what Labour wants. So if they want remain they have the Lib Dems. If they want leave they have the Tories. But there again I suppose if they are still unsure what they want they have Labour.

So you’re against a policy of trying somehow to unite 2 entrenched positions?

CCFCSteve

Good to see Parliament is utilising it’s non prorogued time wisely !

Not sure if anyone caught Gove’s Q&A about yellowhammer (the name still amuses me for some reason) but from the bits I saw I thought it was a sensible, considered and rightly challenging.......glad only *85 MPs bothered to attend when this is what they are apparently most concerned about. The rest of the day was point scoring and shouting from what I saw.

*Bercow commented on number, I didn’t attempt to count !

Astute

Not sure if anyone caught Gove’s Q&A about yellowhammer (the name still amuses me for some reason) but from the bits I saw I thought it was a sensible, considered and rightly challenging.......glad only *85 MPs bothered to attend when this is what they are apparently most concerned about. The rest of the day was point scoring and shouting from what I saw.

Normal time in parliament. They have now lost what is normally an extra holiday. And the rest of it is a normal day with their behaviour worse than you will find in most playgrounds.

djr8369

If there was a free trade agreement there would be no problem in Ireland at all. So if they negotiated a trade deal first they would know what would be needed.

Or is this the problem?

Because it’s illegal to negotiate a trade agreement while still bound by another, hence the transition period to legally remove us while keeping things stable and allowing a replacement to be negotiated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

Because it’s illegal to negotiate a trade agreement while still bound by another, hence the transition period to legally remove us while keeping things stable and allowing a replacement to be negotiated.

Wow.

Are you saying this is correct or have you just made it up?

OK lets try to keep to the truth for once. We can negotiate a trade deal with anyone we want in the world. We are not allowed to sign one until we have left the EU because of EU rules. We have several trade deals already negotiated for once we have left. So would you like ti rethink the reason why the EU won't negotiate before the Irish problem is resolved in their eyes?

And you also need to look up the difference between illegal and unlawful. They are not the same.

Last edited:

djr8369

Wow.

Are you saying this is correct or have you just made it up?

OK lets try to keep to the truth for once. We can negotiate a trade deal with anyone we want in the world. We are not allowed to sign one until we have left the EU because of EU rules. We have several trade deals already negotiated for once we have left. So would you like ti rethink the reason why the EU won't negotiate before the Irish problem is resolved in their eyes?

And you also need to look up the difference between illegal and unlawful. They are not the same.

You were talking about trade with the E.U., yes we can, and have, started to negotiate with those outside the EU

Astute

You were talking about trade with the E.U., yes we can, and have, started to negotiate with those outside the EU

Come on then. Explain your comment on how negotiating a trade deal would be illegal.

I said about us negotiating with the EU. You called this illegal. Show just the slightest evidence for once.

Why can't you just be truthful? All I want is an honest debate. Not point scoring with lies and misinformation.

Lets put it another way. We reach an agreement on the Irish problem. Are you saying it would be illegal to talk trade with the EU until we have left the EU? Why is it illegal to talk trade with the EU but not illegal to talk trade with anyone else?

djr8369

Come on then. Explain your comment on how negotiating a trade deal would be illegal.

I said about us negotiating with the EU. You called this illegal. Show just the slightest evidence for once.

Why can't you just be truthful? All I want is an honest debate. Not point scoring with lies and misinformation.

Lets put it another way. We reach an agreement on the Irish problem. Are you saying it would be illegal to talk trade with the EU until we have left the EU? Why is it illegal to talk trade with the EU but not illegal to talk trade with anyone else?

Excuse me? I constantly use evidence where possible. Anytime I do you go quiet and disappear. I even quoted your own words back to you 3 times the other week and you didn’t even dignify it with a reply.

Still, happy to concede I’m wrong if I am as I’m on holiday and unable to research but it was reported as it was contested by various people.

shmmeee

Or is this the problem?

How would an FTA help exactly? You’ve got exactly the same issue. The only thing that removes the need for a backstop is a customs union. Which we’ve said we don’t want a and isn’t an FTA.

shmmeee

Because we are still EU members and still abide by the rules. We don’t know what the new rules are until we’ve decided how we withdraw.

Look, the EU may have overplayed Ireland, but to focus on that and ignore everything our side has balls up is ludicrous.

SkyblueBazza

It is pretty appalling. They spout it as being a momentous issue but actually are wasting time debating the why's & wherefore's of what has already happened & could/should be put to bed for now. They need to crack on & sort things out. And I agree with what most think - ALL of them & indeed ALL of us would benefit the situation by choosing our words more carefully. Views across the spectrum are just so entrenched, it becomes easy to get frustrated at not being able to shift others' viewpoint. Perhaps more restraint & respect can stop the downward spiral?

Astute

Excuse me? I constantly use evidence where possible. Anytime I do you go quiet and disappear. I even quoted your own words back to you 3 times the other week and you didn’t even dignify it with a reply.

Still, happy to concede I’m wrong if I am as I’m on holiday and unable to research but it was reported as it was contested by various people.

You have told me a few times now that I am wrong on the subject. Now you say you are not sure.

Will leave it at that but you do join in with others having a go at me when I point out untruthful/wrong comments. Nothing unusual there.

Users who are viewing this thread