The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (10 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

Well that's great news for you.
Why the aggression ? If you've worked hard for it fair play to you. Never had reason to get into point scoring with you and don't intend to do so, but don't accuse me of being dumb and don't start giving it the Brexit crap and say I got what I wanted. What did I want ?
Don't moan that Brexit forced your hand to move while at the same time stating you've now got a wonderful life with more than could have ever dreamed of in the UK.
Wonderful life living over 800 miles away from my wife and kids? More than I could ever dream of? Are you a family man? Would you say it is a dream not to be able to watch your kids grow up?

Aggression? When was that? You have a go at me for mentioning a purchase that I have made. Correct? The purchase was a massive reason to be there. A massive reason it wasn't the Cotswolds.

Astute

We’ve been through this. Devaluation has positives. They don’t last long if they are accompanied by inflation because we need to import things like food and parts for manufactured goods. The initial price advantage is lost because manufactured goods made with imported parts become more expensive and workers demand more money as they have become poorer. The government have deliberately devalued before, but in this case we are not calling the shots. The market is reacting to uncertainty and the UK losing output through not being in the SM and CU. GDP is predicted not to grow as fast as before.
Being able to have our own currency and it going up and down is why we are doing so well. If we were in the Euro and tied to hiw well Germany is doing we would be in a much worse situation. And even thise who said we should join the Euro years ago now admit that it was a very good move to have stayed out of it.

Astute

My German missus told me she wants to go Cornwall, and you are going to use that in an article about German dominance? I can’t see any other sign of dominance from Germans in my post. Brexit is a cock up, but the exchange rate has worked in Eurozone‘s favour. What has that got to do with Germany?
Has it worked in favour of the richer countries or the poorer countries? It won't be both.

Astute

I wondered how long it would take before you decided that those of you who live abroad are simply better than the rest of us. About 30 seconds. No one cares. The highlighted stuff is bullshit you have made up to suit your comments.
Better?

I'm no better than anyone else. But on this subject I am one of the rare ones that can see both sides. I don't think we should be leaving the EU but understand why people want to. One size does not fit all. Just like with a shared currency. The strong do well the weak struggle more. But a single currency makes it easier to trade and travel.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Wonderful life living over 800 miles away from my wife and kids? More than I could ever dream of? Are you a family man? Would you say it is a dream not to be able to watch your kids grow up?

Aggression? When was that? You have a go at me for mentioning a purchase that I have made. Correct? The purchase was a massive reason to be there. A massive reason it wasn't the Cotswolds.
Am I a family man ? Yes.
Was it your choice to do this ? Sounds like it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Better?

I'm no better than anyone else. But on this subject I am one of the rare ones that can see both sides. I don't think we should be leaving the EU but understand why people want to. One size does not fit all. Just like with a shared currency. The strong do well the weak struggle more. But a single currency makes it easier to trade and travel.
Rare ? In what way? You've bought a house in France . I never realised that alone give you gift of foresight the rest of us lack. What language do they speak in France ?
Presumably no one who voted to leave the EU has a property outside the UK but within the EU. They'd be hypocrites .

Last edited:

Astute

Am I a family man ? Yes.
Was it your choice to do this ? Sounds like it.
Are you missing the point on purpose?

Choice? No. Not if we want to keep to our long term plans. Something we have worked towards for many years. But with Brexit looming without a deal a possibility we had to take the leap.

Do you really think I have chosen to live apart from my family for nearly 4 years?

Astute

Rare ? In what way? You've bought a house in France . I never realised that alone give you gift of foresight the rest of us lack. What language do they speak in France ?
Presumably no one who voted to leave the EU has a property outside the UK but within the EU. They'd be hypocrites .
I have said all along that I didn't vote leave. But many saw my comments as anti EU and anti everything it stands for. Totally incorrect. But I can see the problems with the EU and the way it is structured. Would you like to try and say this isn't true?

Me a hypocrite? If that is what you are saying you are deluded. I come on this thread for debate and not for someone to take the piss. If a neutral looked at this thread they would think I am nearly as much as a leaver as yourself. The only difference is that I make valid points on both sides. When did you last make a valid point on anything?

It is those who make nothing but remain at all cost or leave at all cost comments that creates the most problems.

Try looking back at any place on this thread. Show me where I have made deluded remain posts. How about even showing me where I have made remain posts. But at the same time find where I have said we must leave.

But no. As usual there is someone who wants to twist the truth.

martcov

Has it worked in favour of the richer countries or the poorer countries? It won't be both.

It can be in some ways it has and some ways it hasn’t. The poorer countries wanted to join and have a stable currency. They don’t just join overnight. E.g. Estonian currency was pegged for years before they took the Euro. Apart from the rounding upwards of prices, not much changed from being a pegged currency to being in the Euro.

It’s definitely easier to trade with other countries in Euro, and cheaper. Even for wages or fees. E.g. paying my Irish musicians by Bank transfer costs no more than an internal payment in Germany. No exchange loss and no bank charges.

martcov

Plenty of hypocrites. Lawson, Ratcliffe, Dyson spring immediately to mind.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Are you missing the point on purpose?

Choice? No. Not if we want to keep to our long term plans. Something we have worked towards for many years. But with Brexit looming without a deal a possibility we had to take the leap.

Do you really think I have chosen to live apart from my family for nearly 4 years?
No pain , no gain. Stop complaining. Nothing is achieved without hard graft and sacrifice. Youve got a long term plan and good for you !

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Plenty of hypocrites. Lawson, Ratcliffe, Dyson spring immediately to mind.
You simply don't get irony. You never have. Way above your intelligence.

CCFCSteve

Dyson is a businessman rather than a hypocrite. He moved his HQ of his business not the full operations.

I don’t think he has ever pushed for buying British made only products. I am guessing he wants to access the Asia markets and potential skills (probably tax benefits as well !!)

I don’t believe he’s reduced his Uk workforce at all and Id be surprised if he didn’t expand it in due course

If he’d moved his HQ to France, Germany or another EU country then I’d 100% agree that would have been hypocritical !

Ian1779

The people who voted Brexit are responsible for difficult times ahead. A high proportion of them pensioners who can afford to sit back and relax whilst the working population takes a hit.

They aren’t responsible... the people responsible are the politicians that have taken the majority of the population for a ride over the last 40 years... whilst making them think they’ve done them a favour in the process.

We’re screwed at every level - if it’s not a corrupt UK government then it’s a corrupt EU one.

Stay or leave - it’s gonna be shit for a good while under the Tories.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I don’t employ boys. I sell alcohol. The accusation was that I only employ good looking young women. I don’t, but some happen to be, as do some of my male staff. I fancy some of the women, which is academic as I am 64 years old and I live with my missus. Your point was?
Anyway, that apart, how old are these girls at work you get aroused over ? Are they 21 ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not a simple question.

To me it is quality of life. This means family time. Family life. The UK is good if you are prepared to work hard. But this frequently means missing out on family time. Then when you can have family time what is the weather like most of the time? Do you feel as though your family is safe where you live? The 15 year old who got shot in the face last night in Coventry has a family.

Ues there is more work in the UK. But millions in full time work have to claim some sort of benefits to survive. How about the food banks? Homeless?

And what will change when you have lunatics that have taken over the asylum?

I agree. The index takes into account many factors but how it weights them won't be the same for everyone.

There is every chance I would enjoy living in a foreign country more than here - I hate the cold, I hate the wet. I love sunshine. Spending time with my family is far more important to me than work. Sitting in the garden watching the birds etc flutter about is a joy, but I realise that is something that is becoming rarer and rarer for people here these days..

On the whole I feel my family is safe, but I can't deny that there have been increasing reports of crime encroaching where they live which does play on your mind a bit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I could find worse in the UK easily. We are the acid attack capital of Europe. We are on a Coventry based site. This shooting of a 15 year old happened in Coventry last night. There are much worse places than Coventry. Says a lot about the other places.

Like I said it depends what you count as quality of life.

But what about the places in Italy which are largely run by organised crime? You can find worse wherever you want. Nowhere is without it's crime, but it the UK, France, Italy or Germany

martcov

They aren’t responsible... the people responsible are the politicians that have taken the majority of the population for a ride over the last 40 years... whilst making them think they’ve done them a favour in the process.

We’re screwed at every level - if it’s not a corrupt UK government then it’s a corrupt EU one.

Stay or leave - it’s gonna be shit for a good while under the Tories.

I agree about life under the Tories.

martcov

Anyway, that apart, how old are these girls at work you get aroused over ? Are they 21 ?

Finding people attractive is now getting aroused? FFS. Why are you interested in my staff? Do you want just their ages? Telephone numbers? Most are around 23 - 33, but, the ones I am with most, and some for 20 years, are a bit older around 45. They were also around mid 20s when they started. Do you think I walk around with a hard on because I find some of my staff attractive? You are one weirdo.

martcov

Dyson is a businessman rather than a hypocrite. He moved his HQ of his business not the full operations.

I don’t think he has ever pushed for buying British made only products. I am guessing he wants to access the Asia markets and potential skills (probably tax benefits as well !!)

I don’t believe he’s reduced his Uk workforce at all and Id be surprised if he didn’t expand it in due course

If he’d moved his HQ to France, Germany or another EU country then I’d 100% agree that would have been hypocritical !

Where’s he building his cars? Brexit Britain? No. Singapore because he has many advantages there including a FTA with the EU for selling his cars. The HQ is irrelevant, it is where he builds his cars, or where he intends selling them. He says he has now decided for Singapore based on access to markets. He would have to pay high tariffs to China, so the suggestion is that the “access to markets” means to the EU via the recent FTA, amongst others, coupled with Brexit ( which they deny ), making Singapore the safer bet. Singapore is a relatively high cost site, so it is not for cheapness that he is building there.

CCFCSteve

Where’s he building his cars? Brexit Britain? No. Singapore because he has many advantages there including a FTA with the EU for selling his cars. The HQ is irrelevant, it is where he builds his cars, or where he intends selling them. He says he has now decided for Singapore based on access to markets. He would have to pay high tariffs to China, so the suggestion is that the “access to markets” means to the EU via the recent FTA, amongst others, coupled with Brexit ( which they deny ), making Singapore the safer bet. Singapore is a relatively high cost site, so it is not for cheapness that he is building there.

You wouldn’t move just for the FTA. We’re likely to have a FTA....well, eventually !!

skybluetony176

He’s a hypocrite and on many levels. He used to be one of the main campaigner for joining the Euro and ditching the pound until he lost some copyright appeals at the European Court. He’s now an ardent brexiteer. He’s been migrating jobs out of the U.K. for decades, maybe he’s also misunderstood the definition of Brexit. He’s also a very large land owner and one of the biggest recipients of the CAP in the U.K. No doubt he’ll be looking to get the same from the U.K. government despite campaigning to leave the EU and it’s structure.

Grendel

Jesus you really are clueless

shmmeee

Italy’s a fantastic country to visit but that’s where I’d draw the line. We’ve enjoyed some great holidays there in beautiful locations and I worked there for a few years but the country has massive problems financially and politically which are reflected in an ever worsening economy. Young people are leaving in their droves in search of work. Poverty and social unrest are increasingly serious issues and like it or not Sick Boy, the fact is that the EU are increasingly viewed as working against the interests of the country as opposed to helping resolve the crisis.

Yes. Populists all over use the EU as a scapegoat for their own poor performance. Italy voted in Berlusconi and a comedian to run the place FFS.

CCFCSteve

He’s a hypocrite and on many levels. He used to be one of the main campaigner for joining the Euro and ditching the pound until he lost some copyright appeals at the European Court. He’s now an ardent brexiteer. He’s been migrating jobs out of the U.K. for decades, maybe he’s also misunderstood the definition of Brexit. He’s also a very large land owner and one of the biggest recipients of the CAP in the U.K. No doubt he’ll be looking to get the same from the U.K. government despite campaigning to leave the EU and it’s structure.

I have to admit I didn’t know that about campaigning for the Euro.

I was talking about Brexit though and decision to move the HQ to Singapore. Yes the HQ moved but he hasn’t actually manufactured any products in the UK for years (think they are mainly designers/innovators here) and no Uk jobs have been lost, so why is he suddenly a hypocrite for supporting Brexit ?

Astute

It can be in some ways it has and some ways it hasn’t. The poorer countries wanted to join and have a stable currency. They don’t just join overnight. E.g. Estonian currency was pegged for years before they took the Euro. Apart from the rounding upwards of prices, not much changed from being a pegged currency to being in the Euro.

It’s definitely easier to trade with other countries in Euro, and cheaper. Even for wages or fees. E.g. paying my Irish musicians by Bank transfer costs no more than an internal payment in Germany. No exchange loss and no bank charges.
But then you have countries like Greece who would have devalued if they were not tied to how well Germany does as well as how badly they are doing. Others like Italy also suffer. They are in serious debt but can't do a lot about it. They have to borrow more to stand still.

Astute

But what about the places in Italy which are largely run by organised crime? You can find worse wherever you want. Nowhere is without it's crime, but it the UK, France, Italy or Germany
They have left a place where hardly anything happens and gone to a place where even less happens. But of course they could have gone to tent city in Paris.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But then you have countries like Greece who would have devalued if they were not tied to how well Germany does as well as how badly they are doing. Others like Italy also suffer. They are in serious debt but can't do a lot about it. They have to borrow more to stand still.
All in the name of a robust Germany.

martcov

You wouldn’t move just for the FTA. We’re likely to have a FTA....well, eventually !!

I said amongst other things. He wants production to start next year, so it could give him a couple of years start if he was thinking of Europe, where he was thinking of opening up a plant the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread