The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (10 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

I don't think you have to justify where you choose to live. What I do think you have to justify is you seemingly stating that Italy is a better place to live than the UK in general. Your own experiences undoubtedly do make it a better place for you. The overall statistics and evidence suggest that to not be the case overall.
It depends which area to quality of life. And that is for any country.

The quality of life I am after for my family doesn't exist in the UK. But I live in a great part of the UK. But I could also reverse it. You wouldn't find a place like where I live in France.

Grendel

Yeah of course I know it’s not great for everyone, but as you said, that’s the same the world over.

I’d still rather live here though, it’s bizarre that I even have to justify it

You don’t - it’s just compared to the UK more Italians disagree with you which is my point

Grendel

Suits me, I’d personally base my opinion on my own experiences and life here than what some people on a football forum tell me ;)

I’m quoting Italians not a football forum but what you are saying is that anecdotes are greater than stats and oddly when it suits you you like a lot of what Mad Mart says on here do you not?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’ve not said that the UK isn’t a good place to live, I just prefer life in Italy.

Hahaha, I thought that some had had enough of experts and the sneering elite telling them how it is?? ;)

Good for you. But the question isn't "is the UK or Italy a better place for Sick Boy to live?" It's "is the overall standard of life in general better in the UK or Italy". The evidence collected suggests that overall looking at many factors it is the UK.

And yes I am tired of having "experts and the sneering elite" TELLING me how it is. It doesn't mean I think they should be ignored entirely.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...and they still seem to enjoy the finer things in life more than those in the UK.
This is beginning to sound just like that bloke who bangs on about how good Germany is : you're making things up to fit your hypothesis.
What are the finer things in life , apart from olive oil ?

Last edited:

Astute

Good for you. But the question isn't "is the UK or Italy a better place for Sick Boy to live?" It's "is the overall standard of life in general better in the UK or Italy". The evidence collected suggests that overall looking at many factors it is the UK.

And yes I am tired of having "experts and the sneering elite" TELLING me how it is. It doesn't mean I think they should be ignored entirely.
Not a simple question.

To me it is quality of life. This means family time. Family life. The UK is good if you are prepared to work hard. But this frequently means missing out on family time. Then when you can have family time what is the weather like most of the time? Do you feel as though your family is safe where you live? The 15 year old who got shot in the face last night in Coventry has a family.

Ues there is more work in the UK. But millions in full time work have to claim some sort of benefits to survive. How about the food banks? Homeless?

And what will change when you have lunatics that have taken over the asylum?

Grendel

Not a simple question.

To me it is quality of life. This means family time. Family life. The UK is good if you are prepared to work hard. But this frequently means missing out on family time. Then when you can have family time what is the weather like most of the time? Do you feel as though your family is safe where you live? The 15 year old who got shot in the face last night in Coventry has a family.

Ues there is more work in the UK. But millions in full time work have to claim some sort of benefits to survive. How about the food banks? Homeless?

In Italy it’s far worse though as in some sectors of society one in five have no job so their quality is less - homelessness in France is off the scale

France must do more for its homeless, says UN housing expert

Last edited:

Astute

I'm sure if I scour the pages of local Italian newspapers throughout the country I could find something similar.
I could find worse in the UK easily. We are the acid attack capital of Europe. We are on a Coventry based site. This shooting of a 15 year old happened in Coventry last night. There are much worse places than Coventry. Says a lot about the other places.

Like I said it depends what you count as quality of life.

Grendel

I could find worse in the UK easily. We are the acid attack capital of Europe. We are on a Coventry based site. This shooting of a 15 year old happened in Coventry last night. There are much worse places than Coventry. Says a lot about the other places.

Like I said it depends what you count as quality of life.

So you’ve moved to an urbanised area of France then not the countryside?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Not a simple question.

Too many people watch programmes like those on channel 4 where you can buy an enormous villa for £250,000 avec pool, olive garden, sun on tap and it all looks far, far better than the UK. The reality is somewhat different.
The weather in the UK isn't great but that is no factor in quality of life to be honest. Scandinavia has a good quality of life generally but their weather isn't great .
What exactly is family time and how much of it should we all have ? Its all very subjective.

Grendel

Have I?

So lets see how you have twisted it to this.

You are quoting violence in urban areas. So that’s I assume what you have compared to. So if it’s the countryside how much violence is there in the Cotswolds?

Astute

Too many people watch programmes like those on channel 4 where you can buy an enormous villa for £250,000 avec pool, olive garden, sun on tap and it all looks far, far better than the UK. The reality is somewhat different.
The weather in the UK isn't great but that is no factor in quality of life to be honest. Scandinavia has a good quality of life generally but their weather isn't great .
What exactly is family time and how much of it should we all have ? Its all very subjective.
My family is living the reality. The place they are living in has a lot of land and a lake full of fish. Cherry trees, plum tree, pear trees, apple trees and even nuts. The grape vines are doing well. And all for less than a house in Coventry most people wouldn't want to live in.

So what do you know about the reality? My family moved from an island close to the lake district. They don't want to move back. They left a great place to live. I am joining them on Saturday and can't wait until I am 55 and can join them.

Astute

You are quoting violence in urban areas. So that’s I assume what you have compared to. So if it’s the countryside how much violence is there in the Cotswolds?
People from Coventry are comparing quality of life. Compare it to another similar place.

Cotswolds? How much would it cost to move there and have lots of land and what comes with it?

Grendel

People from Coventry are comparing quality of life. Compare it to another similar place.

Cotswolds? How much would it cost to move there and have lots of land and what comes with it?

I mention it as it’s urban. Like sick boy you are viewing it as an option for yourself and arrogantly assuming the indigenous population. Why doesn’t everyone in France live that idyllic lifestyle if that’s what they choose

I repeat I have spent many weeks in South Africa and would easily have more land and more wealth but so what? I am not South African

Astute

I mention it as it’s urban. Like sick boy you are viewing it as an option for yourself and arrogantly assuming the indigenous population. Why doesn’t everyone in France live that idyllic lifestyle if that’s what they choose

I repeat I have spent many weeks in South Africa and would easily have more land and more wealth but so what? I am not South African
Like I said you are twisting it.

I have compared house prices of Coventry to where my family have moved to. So you bring up the Cotswolds because it is as safe as where they have moved to. Yet you have still not mentioned how much it would cost to move to the Cotswolds. I wonder why that is.....

When I am over we are going to look at a 17th century cottage with 6 bedrooms and nearly an acre of land. It is ready to move into. And all for a massive 68k including estate agent fees. What would that get you in the Cotswolds?

Astute

Is it safe in SA?

Grendel

Is it safe in SA?

Er that’s my point. Statistically France is a lot less safe than the uk for violent crimes murders etc

Grendel

Like I said you are twisting it.

I have compared house prices of Coventry to where my family have moved to. So you bring up the Cotswolds because it is as safe as where they have moved to. Yet you have still not mentioned how much it would cost to move to the Cotswolds. I wonder why that is.....

When I am over we are going to look at a 17th century cottage with 6 bedrooms and nearly an acre of land. It is ready to move into. And all for a massive 68k including estate agent fees. What would that get you in the Cotswolds?

So why doesn’t everyone of France do it?

Sick Boy

I haven’t said I live an idyllic lifestyle and neither has Astute.

Grendel

Why doesn’t everyone in the UK move to somewhere like the Cotswolds and live the dream?

Oddly for the same reason as astute couldn’t move to France when he was younger and people couldn’t slob around in the Costa whatever until they retire.

Reality is the average France citizen is less satisfied, more likely to be murdered or suffer a violent attack than in the uk - and they is a fact

Grendel

I haven’t said I live an idyllic lifestyle and neither has Astute.

Whatever your own lifestyle is is irrelevant though isn’t it as that’s your own perception above proven reality

Alan Dugdales Moustache

My family is living the reality. The place they are living in has a lot of land and a lake full of fish. Cherry trees, plum tree, pear trees, apple trees and even nuts. The grape vines are doing well. And all for less than a house in Coventry most people wouldn't want to live in.

So what do you know about the reality? My family moved from an island close to the lake district. They don't want to move back. They left a great place to live. I am joining them on Saturday and can't wait until I am 55 and can join them.
And did that come about through sheer hard work on your part here in the UK . If so then every respect for you.
What do I know ? Quite a lot actually but I don't bang on about what I've purchased on here.

Grendel

Actually murder rates are slightly higher in the uk, intentional homicide far higher in France, race hate much much worse in France, general perception of crime far worse in France - petty crime higher in uk

Grendel

And did that come about through sheer hard work on your part here in the UK . If so then every respect for you.
What do I know ? Quite a lot actually but I don't bang on about what I've purchased on here.

Which is the point. Sick boy perhaps. An explain why 600,000 Italians have come to work in Britain and less than a third have gone the other way

Sick Boy

Actually murder rates are slightly higher in the uk, intentional homicide far higher in France, race hate much much worse in France, general perception of crime far worse in France - petty crime higher in uk

You’re starting to sound like a strange mix of Colombo and Gareth Keenan.

Sick Boy

Oddly for the same reason as astute couldn’t move to France when he was younger and people couldn’t slob around in the Costa whatever until they retire.

Reality is the average France citizen is less satisfied, more likely to be murdered or suffer a violent attack than in the uk - and they is a fact

That’s weird, the first time I moved over to Italy I was 27.

Grendel

That’s weird, the first time I moved over to Italy I was 27.

It’s hardly weird though is it as again like Margaret thatcher you would quote the the advantaged and ignore the destitute and the facts that support that destitution to show you are correct

Sick Boy

It’s hardly weird though is it as again like Margaret thatcher you would quote the the advantaged and ignore the destitute and the facts that support that destitution to show you are correct

Not really, it’s just pointing out that you’re talking bollocks about it not being possible for young people to leave the UK and work abroad.

You’re the one who previously boasted about wiping your arse with £50 notes. It tells us all we need to know.

Grendel

Not really, it’s just pointing out that you’re talking bollocks about it not being possible for young people to leave the UK and work abroad.

You’re the one who previously boasted about wiping your arse with £50 notes. It tells us all we need to know.

No I don’t deny myself as a capitalist and selfish

I guess we are now both the same aren’t we?

Users who are viewing this thread