The 'clueless one' (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

If Andy Thorn had any sense though he'd steer well clear of football management in the future and stick to what he's good at, scouting.

What do you mean?

His style of football just doesn't work in these lower leagues, if he was in charge of a Premiership club he would do well. Just look at his signings for us, Dion Dublin, Scott Dann, Robbie Keane amongst others. We are lucky we had him here, I just hope he can forgive us for wasting his time.

Even though I still feel raw inside, I wish him all the best.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I bet there were Norwich fans saying the same thing about Bryan Gunn. ;)

Difference was that Gunn was fired by a new Chief Executive at Norwich. Not the one who gave him the contract. Whereas in our situation, the same decision maker who granted him another shot, then changed his mind after 3 games

Sick Boy

Difference was that Gunn was fired by a new Chief Executive at Norwich. Not the one who gave him the contract. Whereas in our situation, the same decision maker who granted him another shot, then changed his mind after 3 games

I agree that the decision to let Thorn carry on over the summer and then sack him 3 games into the season is bizarre. If he was already that close to getting fired, then he should have been let go at the end of last season. The end of the season games against other relegation candidates was unforgivable and he should have been shown the door then.

When he was sacked I assumed that someone else had been lined up for the job...obviously that wasn't the case.

spit

I don't care when the sacking was, it couldn't have come soon enough! There is absolutely no point in arguing about it now, he was awful, he had to go, what more is there to say, really? Bring on the new messiah....

dongonzalos

Would you get him in if you owned northampton?

I answered it. I would give boothroyd a fair crack of the whip. If clubs started to suss his style. Then the team takes,a pounding in the second half of the season after a good first half to the season.
I would look at what happened last time, take thorn.
Then hold on to my players or at the minimum replace them if I have to sell

dongonzalos

I agree that the decision to let Thorn carry on over the summer and then sack him 3 games into the season is bizarre. If he was already that close to getting fired, then he should have been let go at the end of last season. The end of the season games against other relegation candidates was unforgivable and he should have been shown the door then.

When he was sacked I assumed that someone else had been lined up for the job...obviously that wasn't the case.

That last line is the most sensible thing you have said for a while. The fact no one was lined up. Tells me it was a sacking based on 45 mins against bury.
You can't say winning in the cup did it.
Drawing away in your first match in a new league with 4 or 5 new players. Drawing against the favourites to win the league.
The first 45 mins,against bury can't have been it.
So we sacked the bloke who 9 of the players signed for, 4 games into a season over 45 minutes of unacceptable football.
We have since lost two league matches and have a short list that nobody seems that fussed about and Stan tops it.
You say we have had oliver hardy well now we may have Stan laurel! I am well and truely pissed off.
Hope the new manager is in for Tranmere and my money will be well spent.

bamalamafizzfazz

What do you mean?

His style of football just doesn't work in these lower leagues, if he was in charge of a Premiership club he would do well. Just look at his signings for us, Dion Dublin, Scott Dann, Robbie Keane amongst others. We are lucky we had him here, I just hope he can forgive us for wasting his time.

Even though I still feel raw inside, I wish him all the best.

Am I missing something but are you suggesting that Thorn was scout at the club when we signed Dublin and Keane??!!

We signed Dublin in 1994 and Thorn didn't even retire from playing until 1998!!

That last line is the most sensible thing you have said for a while. The fact no one was lined up. Tells me it was a sacking based on 45 mins against bury.
You can't say winning in the cup did it.
Drawing away in your first match in a new league with 4 or 5 new players. Drawing against the favourites to win the league.
The first 45 mins,against bury can't have been it.
So we sacked the bloke who 9 of the players signed for, 4 games into a season over 45 minutes of unacceptable football.
We have since lost two league matches and have a short list that nobody seems that fussed about and Stan tops it.
You say we have had oliver hardy well now we may have Stan laurel! I am well and truely pissed off.
Hope the new manager is in for Tranmere and my money will be well spent.

Bang on. If they'd had someone lined up then it wouldn't have looked so ridiculous.

Colonel Mustard

The advantage of not having somebody lined up is that applications can be accepted, including those from managers already employed. That's a much bigger pool from which to choose.

dongonzalos

The advantage of not having somebody lined up is that applications can be accepted, including those from managers already employed. That's a much bigger pool from which to choose.

Or just sound them out anyway on the qt. Like we all know happens. Then they can come in straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread