The 'clueless one' (2 Viewers)

The Reverend Skyblue

When people said they look like good players wasn't everyone claiming they were Shaws and Carsleys signing as well. Now they have had a few poor games they are Thorns again?

yes some might have been claiming this, but that has nothing to do with me as I did'nt claim it. Can this subject be closed now and forever.

Onwards and upwards,or downwards this subject is now dead. Lets hope there is a messiah out there somewhere who fancies losing millions

The Rev

Otis

I don't recall anyone claiming they were Shaws' and Carsley's signings as well.

Always thought the assumption was that they were Thorn's.

Still early yet of course, but skills they may have, at the moment though, appetite for a fight they seems to lack.

All the attributes I wanted to see in players coming to this club seem to be rather lacking and it's okay pointing to the Brum game, but that was a one off. That performance aside we have faltered badly in games.

any team can raise their game for the day. this is how you get Exeter City holding Man U at Old Trafford in the cup. They can't do it on a consistent basis though cos they're not good enough to do so and that is why they are leagues apart.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't recall anyone claiming they were Shaws' and Carsley's signings as well.

Always thought the assumption was that they were Thorn's.

Still early yet of course, but skills they may have, at the moment though, appetite for a fight they seems to lack.

All the attributes I wanted to see in players coming to this club seem to be rather lacking and it's okay pointing to the Brum game, but that was a one off. That performance aside we have faltered badly in games.

any team can raise their game for the day. this is how you get Exeter City holding Man U at Old Trafford in the cup. They can't do it on a consistent basis though cos they're not good enough to do so and that is why they are leagues apart.
No there were definitely those saying Shaw, Carsley an Thorn all compiled the short list of players for Waggott to sign when people were saying they looked like good players and we don't know who contributed what names to the list

Now they had a few bad games they are Thorns legacy

I agree as a team we lack desire and commitment, this is a mental thing and hopefully with the right manager an match preparation it can change. If not take them out and play someone else.

Grendel

No there were definitely those saying Shaw, Carsley an Thorn all compiled the short list of players for Waggott to sign when people were saying they looked like good players and we don't know who contributed what names to the list

Now they had a few bad games they are Thorns legacy

I agree as a team we lack desire and commitment, this is a mental thing and hopefully with the right manager an match preparation it can change. If not take them out and play someone else.

Be fair, the opening post is provocative and bound to annoy, especially after today as are other posts laughing at Shaws win ratio and saying you get what you wish for.

Northampton town were 6 points from safety when they appointed someone last season and now are 1 place off the play offs.

If we are looking at mistakes I think we need to start there.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Be fair, the opening post is provocative and bound to annoy, especially after today as are other posts laughing at Shaws win ratio and saying you get what you wish for.

Northampton town were 6 points from safety when they appointed someone last season and now are 1 place off the play offs.

I agree, I couldn't give two hoots about the OP tbh. I was just pointing out how people change the facts to support there argument, all of us do it. When people thought they were decent signings they were a combination of Shaw, Carsley and Thorn players but when they have a few bad games now they are Thorns players.

I don't think Thorn did a good job and I think it is for the best we appointed a new manager, I just don't agree with those who blame him for the position we are in or the quality of the squad.

Mucca Mad Boys

The person who started the thread you mean?

People, including yourself, gave AT the nickname of the 'clueless one' claiming anyone could do better etc. we've sacked him and lost our last 2 games... What I'm saying, he can't be that clueless obviously.

Tbh, sacking Thorn was right, but I never thought he was 'clueless'

dongonzalos

People, including yourself, gave AT the nickname of the 'clueless one' claiming anyone could do better etc. we've sacked him and lost our last 2 games... What I'm saying, he can't be that clueless obviously.

Tbh, sacking Thorn was right, but I never thought he was 'clueless'

The majority of people felt he needed to 10 games before judging him.
Not sure how anyone could say it was right after a win and three draws, only one of which was an unacceptable result.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

The majority of people felt he needed to 10 games before judging him.
Not sure how anyone could say it was right after a win and three draws, only one of which was an unacceptable result.

But it wasn't just 3 games was it? As ATP were happy to point out, he had the worst win % as a CCFC manager, (this might not be entirely true) but apparently the worst a manager had done in the post WW2 period.

I was in the give him 10 games camp, but I expected him to fail after that.

Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleagueherewecome

And you follow it up with saying we shouldn't have sacked the hoofball merchant who was taking us down! Good to see that the intellectual standard is still rising around here. It very comforting.

Grendel

And you follow it up with saying we shouldn't have sacked the hoofball merchant who was taking us down! Good to see that the intellectual standard is still rising around here. It very comforting.

Dead right I would. Extremely popular there - they cannot believe their luck they have got him.

Wonder who will be saying that about our previous manager in a years time?

Black6Osprey

Well, Andy..er...well...er...we go again...Thorn has left us the legacy of a team of feeble under achievers and for that I will be forever grateful.

covcity4life

thorn couldnt win, shaw cant win....not sure how that makes andy a saint all of a sudden?

the way i see it if thorn was here we would be in the same situation but maybe out of one or both the cups

at least we have a faint ray of hope with a new manager to be appointed.

Sick Boy

Funny isn't it, when Thorn actually takes us down, he is given excuses for the budget amongst others. Why wasn't Boothroyd defended as well? He was working under a transfer embargo and the squad suffered injuries to key players. He demanded an awful lot from his players and attempted to install discipline amongst the squad.

He got us higher up the league than Thorn ever did and there is no proof that Boothroyd would have taken us down.

Boothroyd will always be ten times the manager of Thorn.

Last edited:

torchomatic

No, there's no proof that he wouldn't have relegated us, because he was sacked first. Similarly, there's no proof that Eric Black is our best ever manager because again, he was sacked before he was given a good crack at it.

The Thorn/Black/Boothroyd arguments are pointless because no one will ever know.

....and there is no proof that Boothroyd would have taken us down.

Boothroyd will always be ten times the manager of Thorn.

Sick Boy

I agree. All we can do is judge them on their future careers in management, something I am more than happy to do.

dongonzalos

But it wasn't just 3 games was it? As ATP were happy to point out, he had the worst win % as a CCFC manager, (this might not be entirely true) but apparently the worst a manager had done in the post WW2 period.

I was in the give him 10 games camp, but I expected him to fail after that.

You can't ignore everything that went on last season.
This was a new season he was backed. Clean sweep. Judgement season. Minimum 10 games and that pray fisher reacted to 45 minutes against bury.
We now have had two league defeats and uncertainty about the new manager.
Surely they could have give at more time whilst discreetly making enquiries with their top targets to replace him. Ten games in if he has not performed, bang he is out new manager in 24 hours later.
Instead we have a shortlist of 9!

Grendel

I am a Dick and I imagine there are many others.
Shit football and relegation or better football weaker squad relegation

So if you were chairman of Northampton you would seize the moment and sack boothroyd and offer thorn the job?

Otis

For all the poor quality football you have to say Boothroyd looks 10 times the manager Thorn has been.

Real

The one thing I liked about Boothroyd's teams was every player put 100% effort in, I can't say that's always been the case before and since.

torchomatic

Ten times? I'd be interested to look at the formula.

For all the poor quality football you have to say Boothroyd looks 10 times the manager Thorn has been.

Grendel

dongonzalos

Would you get him in if you owned northampton?

They can wait till they go on a 17 match run without a win and draft him in to win 1 in 3 with the same bunch of players. Save their arses, then sell those players and pull the rug from under his feet. It should come I. The second half of the season on bothroyds past three clubs.
Something to do with predictable long ball football

Grendel

They can wait till they go on a 17 match run without a win and draft him in to win 1 in 3 with the same bunch of players. Save their arses, then sell those players and pull the rug from under his feet. It should come I. The second half of the season on bothroyds past three clubs.
Something to do with predictable long ball football

What Colchester and Watford both went on 17 match winless runs?

Didn't answer the question by the way - would you if in charge sack him and get Thorn in?

Sick Boy

Grendel, I don't think he will bother to answer you.

If you asked Northampton fans if they want to seize the day and get in Andy Thorn, they'd probably laugh in your face.

Otis

If Andy Thorn had any sense though he'd steer well clear of football management in the future and stick to what he's good at, scouting.

Mucca Mad Boys

What Colchester and Watford both went on 17 match winless runs?

Didn't answer the question by the way - would you if in charge sack him and get Thorn in?

The consensus was to sack AB, at first we wanted RDM and others, but Thorn did well to an extent, then thhe consensus was to have him in as full time manager.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately, no one has that power!

Users who are viewing this thread