The Budget (1 Viewer)

skybluebeduff

Can it be explained how it's comparable to being "almost" the same as last seasons?, as Chris Anderson has stated previously?

I am finding it very hard to believe that it's truthful. Considering the squad yesterday was last seasons U21's.

Nick

Administrator
Can it be explained how it's comparable to being "almost" the same as last seasons?, as Chris Anderson has stated previously?

I am finding it very hard to believe that it's truthful. Considering the squad yesterday was last seasons U21's.
We will be bringing more players in won't we? It can't be too bad if we are targeting players like Wilson can it?

skybluebeduff

We will be bringing more players in won't we? It can't be too bad if we are targeting players like Wilson can it?
So you're saying because we have had a failed transfer of trying to bring Wilson in, everything looks okay, and the budget must be the same?

Kingokings204

No not at all Nick.
my only problem with with targeting Wilson who is very unlikely come to here. He will only come here if he doesn't get a better offer especially from the lower championship. Now that's fine as we can't compete with Rotherham in wages (never thought I would say that) but then when Wilson does sign for us a major target of ours is lost and we are left short playing kids in to competitive games. And therefore we lose as we did.

It's not good enough for ccfc in my eyes to play Swindon with a youth side out essentially and go on to lose the game. I know it's a long season but already we are 3 points behind and for what because we may or may not sign some decent players. Why could we of not signed decent players early July?

Overall it's ok it's one game in I just hope I made my points clearly and that I don't think it's acceptable we lose out to Rotherham for average players and we clearly have started the season with a youth side and we got what we deserved. We lost when in my eyes had we had these 5 signings we keep hearing then we would of thrashed Swindon yesterday.

Kingokings204

As for the budget don't see why it isn't similar to last year. Not a lot has changed really. Unless I'm shown or told different I would guess it's around 2.5m for the season.

Nick

Administrator
The squad we put out yesterday has proven so far that the budget is the problem. Did anyone in June expect us to be playing players like Harries, G.Thomas, Kelly-Evans and fooking Haynes? Finch on the bench? for the first game of the season?
The budget will be the problem if we target the wrong players, surely? Or should we just give him unlimited funds?

Especially if the delay is waiting to snap up the Wilson type players who have failed to find championship clubs and are desperate?

If we are missing out to league 2, then yes budget is an issue. Have to remember also it's what tm thinks players are worth.

I still get surprised that people act like we have unlimited money and that we are the only league one club without unlimited funds. Same with tm being the only league one manager to work within a low budget to build a team.

Last edited:

skybluebeduff

The budget will be the problem if we target the wrong players, surely? Or should we just give him unlimited funds?

Especially if the delay is waiting to snap up the Wilson type players who have failed to find championship clubs and are desperate?

If we are missing out to league 2, then yes budget is an issue. Have to remember also it's what tm thinks players are worth.

I still get surprised that people act like we have unlimited money and that we are the only league one club without unlimited funds. Same with tm being the only league one manager to work within a low budget to build a team.

No-one has said we have unlimited money, but when 17 players leave, and replaced by only 5, you do the math.

If Rose or Ghadev get injured in the next couple of days, look at who will replace them in midfield.

When the manager says we'll have a competitive squad in July, and then one week into August nothings changed, it's natural to worry.

This thread can be highlighted on the 31st to see if TM was fed shit by CA all summer.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
No-one has said we have unlimited money, but when 17 players leave, and replaced by only 5, you do the math.

I still don't think you are following what I am saying?

If Mowbray is trying to hold out for Championship players without clubs like Wilson, hoping they wont get other deals so we can pick them up then it would delay things wouldn't it? If Player B, a half decent striker from low to mid Championship is without a club and was on maybe 10k a week last season he is going to hold out for offers from the Championship both to play at a higher level and get better money. Just like Wilson did.

That could explain why targets were missed and things didn't go to plan.

Is that down to budget, or is that down to the wrong targets? We missed out on Wilson (the only one public) who was on silly money at Forest to another team in the championship who will probably pay him at least 10k a week and he will play a league higher. People went mad blaming the budget....

Whereas he could have gone out and filled the squad with players like Malaga, Edge and Mansett if he wanted to. Just like we brought in some solid League 1 players like Reid and Sordell.

covcity4life

Wait till August 31st. We have thid west ham.left back.coming in. Yet to see mccan play. 2 cbs I imagine and maybe another attacker. Then the u21 will compliment main squad and give us depth

Not a bad situation at all?

SkyBlue_Bear83

So you're saying because we have had a failed transfer of trying to bring Wilson in, everything looks okay, and the budget must be the same?
I think he's saying Wilson would have been an expensive signing at league one level, so the budget can't be that tight yet and theres still a bit left in the pot for Mowbray to work with before the budget is fully spent.

stupot07

We haven't replaced with 5, you have to also include the youth players that have been promoted to the first team on merit and a will have likely had a pay rise. Some of the 17 players (eg lorentzson, hunt, henderson for example hardly played.)

The transfer window hasn't shut and I think mowbray is quite rightly taking his time to get the right players rather than pressleys anyone will do policy. The budget will be around the same as last season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I think he's saying Wilson would have been an expensive signing at league one level, so the budget can't be that tight yet and theres still a bit left in the pot for Mowbray to work with before the budget is fully spent.

Pretty much.

And that things could be delayed because he is gambling on expensive signings not finding better deals in the Championship and signing for us when they get nothing else. Which would be great if it paid off don't get me wrong.

People go on about Fleetwood because they signed numbers.. Like Pressley did.

Nick

Administrator
Also have to remember what he says about trialists, that they need to be absolutely amazing to get a contract with us. Doesn't seem like desperation to me.

Wasn't Connor Thomas on decent money? Reda would have been on a decent wedge as well. We no longer have to pay out those two big salaries.

skybluebeduff

17 - 5 = money that's still left to spend? Which is good news, right?
So the squad is competitive right now like Mowbray said it would be?

You're confident that it will by 31st August?

I am more than happy to be proven wrong but my gut instinct tells me we're in for a rough season of broken promises again.

chiefdave

When you say 17 you need to look at how many games some of them played. Saying 17 sounds a lot more dramatic than it actually is. If TM brings in 6 more players as he is talking about and they are mostly first choice players, as the available squad numbers would indicate, I think we're at least as good as last season.

stupot07

I am more than happy to be proven wrong but my gut instinct tells me we're in for a rough season of broken promises again.
We lost 1-0, should've been 2-3 nikk uo at half time, it is competitive.

3 more to come in this week, 6 overall before the end of August.

Take a chill pill.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

I agree, its what we have on the table for a said player to be happy with and sign, you can't blame the players they obviously want the best deal for them and I would given their position, nothing wrong with TM aiming high but maybe his persuasive tongue is not as good as we thought

rd45

Could still go either way. We'll all have to wait and see. No point whining about it now though. Come back on 1st Sept and see where we are then.

stevefloyd

Also our biggest priority has to be someone who can score goals...I know our defence is weak but we can muddle through with that to an extent but if we aint scoring we aint winning

skybluebeduff

I
Could still go either way. We'll all have to wait and see. No point whining about it now though. Come back on 1st Sept and see where we are then.
I'd be too depressed to even want to talk about it if it goes the other way ;)

Nick

Administrator
I agree, its what we have on the table for a said player to be happy with and sign, you can't blame the players they obviously want the best deal for them and I would given their position, nothing wrong with TM aiming high but maybe his persuasive tongue is not as good as we thought
But that's not down to budget is it if they are going to championship teams and are used to earning big money?

We could have signed 10 average league one players.

skybluetony176

They do seem to have made a point of not saying where the budget falls this season in stark contrast to last season where they had top six budget tourette's and were blurting it out at every opportunity.

I suspect (although I don't know) that our budget has stood still whereas others have moved forward knocking us down the budget league. Whatever the case it does seem obvious that TM has missed out on some of his top targets and for whatever reason it's now profitable to sell arguably your best player to another league one team who doesn't have the luxury of having just came down with parachute payments.

italiahorse

Judge the squad at the end of Aug. Any points we win in Aug are a bonus

So zero points is expected for August with any we do get a bonus and your happy with that?
No wonder Sisu get away with murder and people justify them on here.

Sky Blues

We could have signed 10 average league one players.

I think this line captures the dilemma. Sign 10 average League 1 players, where will you end up? Mid table?

On the other hand, I have some sympathy for your more general point too. People can say wait until the end of August, but there are five league games gone by then. That's potentially giving up more than 10 per cent of the season before the squad is formed. Surely it would be good to have players in from early July, learning to work together and getting fit for the start of the season...

Users who are viewing this thread