The Budget (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I think this line captures the dilemma. Sign 10 average League 1 players, where will you end up? Mid table?

On the other hand, I have some sympathy for your more general point too. People can say wait until the end of August, but there are five league games gone by then. That's potentially giving up more than 10 per cent of the season before the squad is formed. Surely it would be good to have players in from early July, learning to work together and getting fit for the start of the season...

But then surely if you want to get Championship / Top level league 1 players, they will all be waiting to try and get a Championship club with a Championship wage before dropping to League 1? Other clubs may have gone out and signed "loads of players", how many of them bar the Sheffield United's are just standard League 1 level players?

The new loan rules don't help either.

The best way would be if the moved the window to maybe the start of the season.

Sky Blues

But then surely if you want to get Championship / Top level league 1 players, they will all be waiting to try and get a Championship club with a Championship wage before dropping to League 1?

The new loan rules don't help either.

The best way would be if the moved the window to maybe the start of the season.

It does seem weird that the window closes after the start of the season.

Nick

Administrator
Clubs are going to be extra careful about sending out their loans now, which won't be helping and causing delays because of the new rules.

It all has a knock on effect, Premier League clubs are doing business, once they will be doing theirs then they will have players for loan. Same with championship, probably with them being first dibs on the Premier League loans.

It is just the way football is, to keep banging on about Sambou going doesn't prove anything apart from some of the expectations some of our fans seem to have.

Warwickhunt

The budget will be the problem if we target the wrong players, surely? Or should we just give him unlimited funds?

Especially if the delay is waiting to snap up the Wilson type players who have failed to find championship clubs and are desperate?

If we are missing out to league 2, then yes budget is an issue. Have to remember also it's what tm thinks players are worth.

I still get surprised that people act like we have unlimited money and that we are the only league one club without unlimited funds. Same with tm being the only league one manager to work within a low budget to build a team.
People tend to forget that we are in the old 3rd division and 75 to 100k is a lot of money to spend on a player

Nick

Administrator
People tend to forget that we are in the old 3rd division and 75 to 100k is a lot of money to spend on a player

That is another thing, people ranting on about us missing out to Rotherham not even realising they are the league above. Is it mainly the older blokes who are used to us splashing out millions on players like Lee Hughes or Bellamy?

It is all well and good them demanding SISU put money in to spend loads on players and wages, but then on the other hand they will then moan about being debt to SISU. Stupot has his graphs of turnover in the Championship, even then you can understand why we weren't able to compete in the Championship.

I think people just need to take a step back from shouting and ranting and be a bit more realistic. That isn't to say I don't want promotion and wouldn't love to piss League 1 but we just need to be a bit more realistic and understand where we are.

ccfcway

So zero points is expected for August with any we do get a bonus and your happy with that?
No wonder Sisu get away with murder and people justify them on here.

Not happy, but its where we are. We will be stronger as the weeks go on and we have McCann in 3 games time and will have more signings.

We are a league one club with no revenues, run by owners who wants us to be break even, which is about the most sensible thing they have done.

We have 2 choices, get players in early, but maybe not the ones the manager wants, or wait and play the game , with some free transfers knowing the longer it goes on, the longer they are without a club...

August is a write off for us and any points on the board are points towards safety or mid table. As TM says, anything like challenging will mean we will be punching above our weight.

The sooner people get it into their heads we are a small time club with a midtable League One budget, the more they will be able to accept what is happening on the pitch

Kingokings204

That is another thing, people ranting on about us missing out to Rotherham not even realising they are the league above. Is it mainly the older blokes who are used to us splashing out millions on players like Lee Hughes or Bellamy?

It is all well and good them demanding SISU put money in to spend loads on players and wages, but then on the other hand they will then moan about being debt to SISU. Stupot has his graphs of turnover in the Championship, even then you can understand why we weren't able to compete in the Championship.

I think people just need to take a step back from shouting and ranting and be a bit more realistic. That isn't to say I don't want promotion and wouldn't love to piss League 1 but we just need to be a bit more realistic and understand where we are.

Yes of course I agree with your last paragraph but why are we in league 1 for 5 straight years? Everyone keeps telling us we better we are higher but we are not.

I don't find it acceptable to be losing players to Rotherham in general. I get they are in the league above but again why? Is this good enough? Should we be happy with league 1 for another 5 years? If the answer is no like you say then how do we get out? We need a chance.

ccfcway

Yes of course I agree with your last paragraph but why are we in league 1 for 5 straight years? Everyone keeps telling us we better we are higher but we are not.

I don't find it acceptable to be losing players to Rotherham in general. I get they are in the league above but again why? Is this good enough? Should we be happy with league 1 for another 5 years? If the answer is no like you say then how do we get out? We need a chance.

We may get out of it in the next 5 years, but it might not be upwards. We will need to cut our cloth accordingly, and with no revenues and an academy in jepordy, the budget will decrease yr on yr and we can rely on selling kids all the time.

Its tough, but its where we are.

Nick

Administrator

Because Rotherham are in the league above and will be able to pay much better wages? It is the same as if were to say we are losing out on players to Bournemouth, yes 20 years ago they were nowhere but then they had a rich backer and are in the Premier League.

Surely it is just being realistic? Is a player going to play in League 1 where the average wage is 1.5k a week or the championship where the average wage is well over 5k a week. Especially if they were on 20k or so last season? Why would you be surprised at that?

Kingokings204

Because Rotherham are in the league above and will be able to pay much better wages? It is the same as if were to say we are losing out on players to Bournemouth, yes 20 years ago they were nowhere but then they had a rich backer and are in the Premier League.

Surely it is just being realistic? Is a player going to play in League 1 where the average wage is 1.5k a week or the championship where the average wage is well over 5k a week. Especially if they were on 20k or so last season? Why would you be surprised at that?

I agree Nick I said that. I would doubt no one disagree. That's not the point.

The point is why are Bournemouth and Rotherham and Swansea and even Leicester all doing so much better than us when 10 years ago it would of been laughed at the situation now.

We have to be climbing the leagues with a plan and there isn't one and we are skint. As ccfc way says and no academy etc.

We are going down and not up. League 2 was 20 minutes away a season or so ago. Last year was much better thanks to TM in my opinion.

If the budget keeps getting Reduced then fine Becuase we aren't a big club anymore then so be it but it doesn't make getting make to the championship easier does it?

I know you want us to do well as much as I do I but you seem quite defeatist. Realist also and I agree with many of your points for the record such as Rotherham being able to snatch Wilson. I am saying I don't like that position we are in for that to happen.

Warwickhunt

To be quite honest Nick it upsets me no end when the supporters slate off our youngsters during the game as you can actually see their heads drop, this is where I suppose experience helps players to let it go over their heads

SkyBlue_Bear83

I agree Nick I said that. I would doubt no one disagree. That's not the point.

The point is why are Bournemouth and Rotherham and Swansea and even Leicester all doing so much better than us when 10 years ago it would of been laughed at the situation now.

We have to be climbing the leagues with a plan and there isn't one and we are skint. As ccfc way says and no academy etc.

We are going down and not up. League 2 was 20 minutes away a season or so ago. Last year was much better thanks to TM in my opinion.

If the budget keeps getting Reduced then fine Becuase we aren't a big club anymore then so be it but it doesn't make getting make to the championship easier does it?

I know you want us to do well as much as I do I but you seem quite defeatist. Realist also and I agree with many of your points for the record such as Rotherham being able to snatch Wilson. I am saying I don't like that position we are in for that to happen.
We need more fans up the Ricoh simply, its no surprise we are where we are when we can barely sell 5k season tickets.

SkyBlue_Bear83

scroll down, it gives you season ticket holders.

We are a league one team
Oh yea, see it now. Surprised MK Dons had over 9k season ticket holders and Barnsley over 7k. Very poor from us

I know we're a league one team, fans either accept it or start supporting the team

ccfcway

Oh yea, see it now. Surprised MK Dons had over 9k season ticket holders and Barnsley over 7k. Very poor from us

I know we're a league one team, fans either accept it or start supporting the team

yep, nearly twice as many people have a season ticket for a franchaise team

Supporting the team doesn't mean we stop becoming a League One team

ccfcway

Look at the fall off in our season ticket holder numbers since 2010/11. More evidence (if were needed) that SISU are killing the club.

we will decrease year on year. The income will go down, we will have to reduce the budget, and its likely the crowds will go down.

With no revenues, We are where we are

SkyBlue_Bear83

yep, nearly twice as many people have a season ticket for a franchaise team

Supporting the team doesn't mean we stop becoming a League One team
I mean more people need to start supporting the team, look at Sheffield Utd with 14k season tickets. Ok they were still in league one but their budget is constantly one of if not the highest in the league, inevitably one year they will get it right and be promoted. If we had 15,000 season ticket holder it would be a question of which season we would be promoted not if we could be promoted

Gazolba

The budget pays for everything, not just players. And the budget takes into account income as well as expenses. So unless you have full knowledge of all of this, you can't really judge what is happening.

letsallsingtogether

did they only put limited number on sale then? Compare it with teams like Norwich and leicester in our league?
No they didn't need to Nick what a shit reply, you know what he meant but keep defending them.

dongonzalos

I think people know exactly where Rotherham are.
They are possibly more annoyed that Rotherham were going through CVA's points deductions sometime 10 sometimes 17. Adminstrations.
Had funding gaps of around 100-150k a month.
Couldn't agree a rental deal with their landlords.
Effectively they had owners that couldn't afford them.
So despite not owning their own stadium and been in financial shit. 17 point deduction and I think in the fourth division.
Miraculously (or possibly no real surprise at all) They were taken over by a local businessman.
He did as he promised and sorted out building a new stadium and now they are in a division above Cov and can sign players ahead of us.
They are pretty much what we should be.

Last edited:

Brylowes

Well' for the last 3 weeks I've got up in the morning and spent half the day
( pre 5pm ) exited, only to spend the other half ( post 5pm ) disappointed.
Can't be good for ya these constant hi's and low's.;)

covcity4life

Considering the season started on August 6, what you've just said is absolutely insane. If TM's masterplan is to forego 10% of the season in the hope that we'll eventually have a competitive squad, I would suggest he quickly finds another one.

we were 4 mins from 1 pt. so current squad isnt foregoing anything. more than capable of doing ok till new signings come in

Brylowes

we were 4 mins from 1 pt. so current squad isnt foregoing anything. more than capable of doing ok till new signings come in
I didn't go so can only go on the commentary I heard, had to listen to Swindon player
As ours was not working, it has to be said they were not impressed by either team.

fernandopartridge

Thats not good reading , when you see the figures and the demise of the club in black and white ! ouch !

It just shows that all these cretins who believe we have some sort of divine right to be higher up the chain are completely wrong. Our support is L1 level....

**TBF, the figures are from the season before last, I suspect we may have moved up last season but still L1 support

skybluebeduff

Fact is SISU brought us as a Championship club, and have kept us a League One club for 5 years, and people have just shrugged their shoulder and accepted it. Completely disregarding why we got relegated in the first place. Unbelievable.

fernandopartridge

Fact is SISU brought us as a Championship club, and have kept us a League One club for 5 years, and people have just shrugged their shoulder and accepted it. Completely disregarding why we got relegated in the first place. Unbelievable.

We were a struggling Championship club, we were on a downward trajectory. They failed to arrest that decline because the fundamentals of why we struggled were not addressed (those fundamentals being how much the club made in revenue, both from tickets and from the stadium it had recently moved into).

Users who are viewing this thread