Teams you have an irrational liking for (1 Viewer)

LilleSkyBlue

I'll start: Norwich, Plymouth, Blackpool, Yeovil, Forest Green - because of their kits, I suspect.

Also admiration/envy/vexation regarding Forest because I grew up in Forest territory and they were our bogey team.

I like Hillsborough as a ground very much too.

Nick

Administrator
Ajax.

Used to love a shady Ajax shirt with Kluivert on the back when I was a kid going on holiday.

Reactions: AOM

Moff

Sheff Wednesday - obvious reasons re Hillsbrough, and when I lived in Sheffield their fans and club were great whilst Sheff Utd were tossers.

Man City - was good friends with a fan of theirs when they were struggling in Division one and eventually ended up in Division Three and were shit. I felt his pain and we laughed at how teams in Sky Blue always brought you that pain of being a football fan. Seeing how times have changed I don’t mind seeing a team in Sky Blue dominating, although I’d rather it be us.

Newcastle - my dads family we’re all Geordies (not all of their fans think they have a right to be a success)

Sky Blue Harry H

Newcastle - my dads family we’re all Geordies (not all of their fans think they have a right to be a success)

This (my brother and his family live there)

Hellas Verona, Lionel Messi (pre-Paris St Germain) and Barcelona (Messi, and I love the city). Also loved watching Thierry Henry at Arsenal and Kevin de Bruyne.

None of the above touch following City (although Messi on a good day is like watching fantasy football)

Paul Anthony

Southampton. My first ever City game in 1994. Also ended up living down there for a couple of years, at the time they were getting promoted back to the Premier League.

tskezz

This (my brother and his family live there)

Hellas Verona, Lionel Messi (pre-Paris St Germain) and Barcelona (Messi, and I love the city). Also loved watching Thierry Henry at Arsenal and Kevin de Bruyne.

None of the above touch following City (although Messi on a good day is like watching fantasy football)
Should have mentioned messi

Samo

Orient.
Also... had a Leeds kit when I was a little kid before I was taken to HR and baptized in sky blue.

AOM

Don't really like any other UK based teams, apart from when lower league underdogs play the big teams in the FA/EFL Cup.

Always quite liked Inter Milan since the Adriano Pro Evolution Soccer 6 days too. Plus this kit...

adrianointer.jpg

SBT

Rangers - the sectarian/political stuff surrounding both the Glasgow teams is all bullshit, and I absolutely don't have a dog in the fight, but for some weird reason I lean towards wanting them to do better than Celtic? No idea why.

Arsenal - awful fans, unlikeable players and they've obviously been a bit of a shambles for many years, but I lived near the stadium once so....yeah?

Barcelona - giant corporate monolith with a stadium full of tourists, but one week in Barcelona as a student during a meaningless Champions League week was apparently enough for me to buy into the 'Mes Que Un Club' bollocks

Liquid Gold

Been to see Bath City a few times. I like to see Truro City do well too.

There are plenty of teams I prefer over their rivals (Newcastle over Sunderland, Everton over Liverpool etc.) without actually giving a shit about them.

Terry_dactyl

Confession time…inexplicably I am a member of another football club - Hamburg/HSV.
As a way of getting tickets for HSV vs Bayern Munich for my family when we were going to Germany on holiday, I signed up for membership.
Initially they didn’t charge me, so I was like “ha! So much for German efficiency. I’ve got myself a freebie”!
How wrong I have been. There is no initial charge but every 4 months or so I get a bill for €30 and I have no understanding about how I make them stop! If I don’t pay they send out really threatening letters.
I now feel trapped in some sort of awful loop and am forced into being a member.

Tbf i have used my membership status to buy tickets on one occasion since - vs St Pauli. so I think may have seen Ostigard and Gyo play.

Travs

I'm a big fan of Italian football, and have travelled out there for games, therefore have a soft spot for a number of their sides...

Lazio... my first Italian game was the Rome Derby in the Lazio end.

Atalanta... their fans are brilliant. It's rather a shame that they've had to make developments to their ground due to their rise up to European level.

Of the real "giants" teams, AC Milan are my favourite... memories of them being virtually unbeatable when i was a youngster... plus an unforgettable night under the San Siro floodlights when they beat Juventus in front of 80000, have never seen or heard an atmosphere like it.

Also a like of a number of other teams throughout the divisions.

RegTheDonk

Queen of the South. For some irrational reason (probably because it's a stupid name) as a kid I always looked for their results.

Peterborough to a rational extent - lived across the road from their ground for a few years and my brother was born there.

shmmeee

The Nottingham/Notts teams due to my dads side of the family being from there, particularly Forest who was my grandads team. Similarly Celtic from my other grandad. Though I doesn’t go beyond hoping they win in a game against another team and vaguely looking at their results sometimes.

Danceswithhorses

Ok...odd one...mine is Queen's Park (Scotland)
Always love an underdog, and this amateur Scottish club ticked all the boxes, as any good players were nicked and turned professional elsewhere (the club only turned pro in 2019 !)
I always enjoy choosing Queen's Park when playing Championship Manager 01/02 (still a great game)...they start with rubbish players, £500k in debt, with a massive and expensive stadium to maintain....Up the spiders lol

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Confession time…inexplicably I am a member of another football club - Hamburg/HSV.
As a way of getting tickets for HSV vs Bayern Munich for my family when we were going to Germany on holiday, I signed up for membership.
Initially they didn’t charge me, so I was like “ha! So much for German efficiency. I’ve got myself a freebie”!
How wrong I have been. There is no initial charge but every 4 months or so I get a bill for €30 and I have no understanding about how I make them stop! If I don’t pay they send out really threatening letters.
I now feel trapped in some sort of awful loop and am forced into being a member.

Tbf i have used my membership status to buy tickets on one occasion since - vs St Pauli. so I think may have seen Ostigard and Gyo play.
I have a story about St Pauli. Been to Hamburg 2o 3 times. Last time planned to go and watch St Pauli on a Friday night. I went to the nearby Christmas Market and started drinking with some nice German guys. I kept saying I have to go but never quite managed it. When I finally did, walked to nearby stadium but could see all the St Pauli fans walking towards me. The game was OVER!
Never mind I bought one of there scarfs. Nice to have another brown scarf to go with my City Brown scarf from 1978.
I would switch membership if you could from Hamburg to St Pauli . A club with great values.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hibernian. Just started looking out for their results as a kid and still do.

Bit of a soft spot for Soton as I feel they're very similar to us in many ways.

Legia Sky Blue

Notts County because my Dad supported them - also watched them a few times over the years. Dislike Forest though, more than Villa or Leicester. Polar opposites politically but for different reasons I also have a soft spot for both Legia Warsaw and St Pauli.

Users who are viewing this thread