Snowflake
Lefty
Marxist
Student union
Virtue signalling
Do some research
Don't believe the media

giphy.gif

You forgot ‘woke’, which is understandable with all the weird outrage flying around- you can tick that one off too (y)

Magwitch

“Taking the knee” has had it effect but to go on and on indefinitely will dilute the effect the movement is there now and so it should be in my opinion it doesn’t need the knee anymore as it will be grabbed politically people will get pissed off with it and any momentum could be lost.

Otis

“Taking the knee” has had it effect but to go on and on indefinitely will dilute the effect the movement is there now and so it should be in my opinion it doesn’t need the knee anymore as it will be grabbed politically people will get pissed off with it and any momentum could be lost.
Yes and besides, every time I take a knee, Hazel next door thinks I am proposing to her.

rob9872

Getting quite disappointed with this place really. Seems so many posts daily that turn into politics and right v left etc. We all come here as City fans, tbf it's probably the only thing that unites us. We all have different backgrounds, not only religion, colour or political affiliation bht demographics of finance, job, parents, area even town, right through to IQ. Need to get a bit more respect for each other, know that our views aren't the only correct ones and be generally a bit nicer and stick to debating about the City. Leave all this crap for Twitter or FB or whatever site you like to rant on.

Sky Blue family all the way.
PUSB
CTID

mark82

I think alot of players are doing it, and sportspeople in general... Just to keep the peace and not be vilified.

I mean look at how they tried to create an issue last night, it's almost not worth it, just bend the knee and pretend you care to keep the peace...

just get rid

I don't think there will be many who pretend to care. Most will be supportive of something their friends/teammates believe strongly in.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It can be misunderstood so easily. This doesn't mean they think black people are the dominant race. All they are trying to do is raise awareness that black people deserve to be treated as equally as white people. At the end of the day all lives matter and whether you like it or not, agree or not, there is discrimination in this world against other races.

On the whole I believe that to be the case. But that doesn't make it the same for everyone. Malcolm X is a big civil rights figure but it's often debated as to whether he was a black supremacist rather than equality advocate. Same with feminism - most want equality but there are definite undertones within the movement that seem to ultimately want supremacy, almost as if they're arguing that the patriachy has held sway for so long so it's only fair women get to dominate for a while.

For example, if you take a white person with a fist in the air shouting 'white power' would you consider that in the same way as a black person with a fist in the air shouting 'black power'? It's exactly the same thing being done but the reaction you'd likely get is the white person wants supremacy but the black person wants equality. Why? What part of the word 'power' is relatable to equality? It's a term of domination, not parity.

DannyThomas_1981

Getting quite disappointed with this place really. Seems so many posts daily that turn into politics and right v left etc. We all come here as City fans, tbf it's probably the only thing that unites us. We all have different backgrounds, not only religion, colour or political affiliation bht demographics of finance, job, parents, area even town, right through to IQ. Need to get a bit more respect for each other, know that our views aren't the only correct ones and be generally a bit nicer and stick to debating about the City. Leave all this crap for Twitter or FB or whatever site you like to rant on.

Sky Blue family all the way.
PUSB
CTID

I'm with you Rob all the way.

Although I have to say I'm pretty glad that SBT isn't my real family; it would be the most dysfunctional family of all time, some of the suspects on here turning up at family gatherings would be the stuff of nightmares and end of evening violence would be inevitable with the police called :D

steve cooper

McFadzean said in his interview after the game that the ref said it wasn't happening.
As said, it was Sky's reaction that was disgusting.
If players don't want to do it they shouldn't be forced or shamed into it. We still live in a free country, that allows free speech (just).

mark82

I think Jobi McAnuff summed it up trying to whip up some anger.

He then said that in his previous game the ref said it wasn't happening and as captain of Orient his team didn't do it either.

Top Hypocrite. Let's stick with the "Not today or any day" thing that is still plastered everywhere and rightly so. It's not political in anyway.

People will try to politicise it anyway.

Ring Of Steel

On the whole I believe that to be the case. But that doesn't make it the same for everyone. Malcolm X is a big civil rights figure but it's often debated as to whether he was a black supremacist rather than equality advocate. Same with feminism - most want equality but there are definite undertones within the movement that seem to ultimately want supremacy, almost as if they're arguing that the patriachy has held sway for so long so it's only fair women get to dominate for a while.

For example, if you take a white person with a fist in the air shouting 'white power' would you consider that in the same way as a black person with a fist in the air shouting 'black power'? It's exactly the same thing being done but the reaction you'd likely get is the white person wants supremacy but the black person wants equality. Why? What part of the word 'power' is relatable to equality? It's a term of domination, not parity.

do you really have to ask that? Maybe try thinking of the comparative positions of each party making the same gesture, and look at it as a fight, a struggle, a battle to achieve something they don’t currently have. Anyway this stuff is not football related any more, far from it.

Grendel

Was your research all on Breitbart by any chance?

A rather silly comment. Why don’t you look at the anti capitalist rhetoric from the extremist hierarchy of the actual group itself?

mark82

It's all about the relative position. White man, who has generally (as a race) been the oppressor vs. black man who has been suppressed. Essentially they have different historical connotations.

mark82

A rather silly comment. Why don’t you look at the anti capitalist rhetoric from the extremist hierarchy of the actual group itself?

I've tried looking on their website for these things in the past and have never been able to find them. It may have changed since, I don't know. Can you provide me a link to the specific offending pieces please.

NorthernWisdom

I've tried looking on their website for these things in the past and have never been able to find them. It may have changed since, I don't know. Can you provide me a link to the specific offending pieces please.
Some people are incapable of splitting an organisation from a movement anyway. Nobody, absolutely nobody can disagree with the statement that Black Lives Matter. That is not a political statement, that's a human one. You can be lefty, righty, libtard, whatever, and still agree with that.

Grendel

Well I’d suggest you read up on Joshua Verasami as he is a key figure in the movement and a sworn anti capitalist

I have supplied a link to the uk charity raising link several times which expresses a desire to throw out capitalism - Verasami believes it’s impossible to have racial harmony under a capitalist structure

Grendel

Some people are incapable of splitting an organisation from a movement anyway. Nobody, absolutely nobody can disagree with the statement that Black Lives Matter. That is not a political statement, that's a human one. You can be lefty, righty, libtard, whatever, and still agree with that.

Would you describe Hitler youth as a movement or an organisation?

NorthernWisdom

Would you describe Hitler youth as a movement or an organisation?
It's been a while since something was Godwinned.

I don't remember a time when 'Hitler Youth' was an uncontentious statement tbh.

'Hitler Matters' would be somewhat contentious as a phrase.

Frankly, the only people politicising Black Lives Matter as a phrase are people who want to claim it's political. Why they can't just acknowledge that, well, Black Lives Matter and move on I don't really know, only they can answer that.

Grendel

Frankly, the only people politicising Black Lives Matter as a phrase are people who want to claim it's political. Why they can't just acknowledge that, well, Black Lives Matter and move on I don't really know, only they can answer that.

Do you accept Joshua Varasami is a key figure in this movement?

cc84cov

Moans about taking the knee but as captain of his team they didn’t take it either 🤣

just close this thread and let’s focus o the positive from last night and the main topic - football

NorthernWisdom

Makes me laugh that those who throw away ‘snowflake’ are actually those who complain and get upset the most.
I don't get a lot of this thread. As far as I can see, only Sky (their job to sensationalise, they've been doing it with football for 25 years + I remember them going orgasic over Chester 0-0 Halifax as OMG the best game they've ever seen!) got upset with something that nobody else (bar the odd mentalist exception, who always exist anyway) was getting particularly upset about, and it's been the opportunity to throw in a few random lefty comments, then getting upset when they get something back in return.

Grendel

I fail to see how that alters the statement that Black Lives Matter anyway. Unless they don't, of course...

Well because essentially a popular movement is actually aimed at mobilising people for more sinister purposes

The anti fascist league was essentially a terrorist group led by a fanatical arm of the already fanatical SWP - I’m sure many people on those marches believed it was a strike against fascism when actually its intentions were to create essentially a fascist state which did not believe in democracy

The miners strike was led by a known Marxist - a Marxist in the sense of supporting the USSR and its attempts to overthrow an elected government - the leader was a known associate of Moscow and his band of followers were essentially spies infiltrating the gullible protestors who thought they actually cared for the cause of miner welfare.

Liquid Gold

The whole argument they they’re only doing it because they can get away with it having no fans there is so distasteful. If players took a knee for the rights of black people not to be murdered and were then booed by their own fans I’d fully support them refusing to play.

mark82

Do you accept Joshua Varasami is a key figure in this movement?

We're talking about one of the many UK groups here rather than the movement as a whole. I think there should be some distinction between the movement (which is non-hierarchical) and some of the local groups trying to attach themselves to the movement and push their own motives.

Yes, by nature, groups looking for equality tend to be left leaning - and there are always going to be extremes within that. It shouldn't undermine the message of the global movement though should it?

Evo1883

The whole argument they they’re only doing it because they can get away with it having no fans there is so distasteful. If players took a knee for the rights of black people not to be murdered and were then booed by their own fans I’d fully support them refusing to play.

Why? I'd support them refusing to play if players were being racially abused... But booing an organisation and movement that have put racial relations back 30 years is absolutely what should be done... They say they aren't backing the organisation BLM, but they use the same slogans etc that they use, Infact several media sites were claiming they were a terrorist organisation 3 or 4 years ago .. Fuck them... Remember when Jo Cox was killed by a right wing lunatic and everybody blamed the wankers Britain's first etc... Then the same should be happening with the destruction and police deaths in the name of BLM 🤷 awful group, awful people, awful leaders.

Anti Jewish
Anti White
Anti capitalist
Anti democracy

Once again... FUCK THEM

this belongs in off topic

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

do you really have to ask that? Maybe try thinking of the comparative positions of each party making the same gesture, and look at it as a fight, a struggle, a battle to achieve something they don’t currently have. Anyway this stuff is not football related any more, far from it.

Then why not shout Black Parity or Black Equality? It's incredibly clumsy terminology, just like Defund the Police. Don't allow any ambiguity into the message. Unless the ambiguity is put there deliberately to allow the goalposts to move but the message stay the same. You start by saying this phrase is about us gaining equality, then if/when parity is achieved it becomes about becoming more powerful and dominant but as the message hasn't changed anyone who tries to highlight this change can still be decried as racist.

It's a natural instinct to want to be more powerful. There will be people within many communities who want their viewpoint to hold sway over others. There will be black people who want domination over other races just as there are white, women who think they should have dominion over men, Groups throughout history have gone from being the persecuted minority to the dominant one yet still play the persecution card. This is especially true in religion. Christianity still has a massively dominant position in much of the western world yet constantly plays the role of persecuted under attack victim despite them being responsible for much of the persecution that is actually happening against groups like gays, trans, womens rights etc.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is probably quite a minor point but the capitisation of the words matters to me. Black Lives Matter to me refers to the organisation bearing that name.

So the phrase that people can and should get behind is black lives matter, rather than Black Lives Matter.

Users who are viewing this thread