Take the knee (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Cambridge and Exeter Fans booing it too.

Still think the principle of anti discrimination should be pushed but just totally separated from BLM and a different "gesture"

Still, although I wouldn't boo it at games surely you can't start banning / taking action against people that do as it doesn't instantly mean they are racist if they are disagreeing because of the BLM stuff / politics.

shmmeee

In which case, you would think they wouldn't use pretty much the same name?

Cant believe you support making up false allegations of pedophilia

Or being a c**t in Big Brother

Or ringing CWR and talking shite.

Or is it possible for two people to choose the same name yet not support each other’s actions?

Brighton Sky Blue

Still think the principle of anti discrimination should be pushed but just totally separated from BLM and a different "gesture"

Still, although I wouldn't boo it at games surely you can't start banning / taking action against people that do as it doesn't instantly mean they are racist if they are disagreeing because of the BLM stuff / politics.

Digging a weird hole for yourself there

shmmeee

Also, since when was the civil rights movement “not politics”? What the fook is it then?

“Oh I’m all for social and economic change, just keep the politics out of it”. What???

Nick

Administrator
Cant believe you support making up false allegations of pedophilia

Or being a c**t in Big Brother

Or ringing CWR and talking shite.

Or is it possible for two people to choose the same name yet not support each other’s actions?

Pretty sure you can see the difference.

It's the same reason I wouldn't start something up called National Front or BNP.

Seriously, can people not grasp why there's so much confusion and why people might look at the founders of BLM in America and link things up etc? Instead of just calling everybody racist (not you btw) either educate them or change the gesture and start educating people as to why it's done and distance from the whole BLM stuff.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Digging a weird hole for yourself there

Not really, not sure why it has been so hard to see why people may have issues with it being "BLM" without being racist. Over the months it has been so confusing, divisive and conflicting.

Somebody can disagree with the BLM stuff but still be totally against racism, if it becomes the norm to start banning / cancelling people who disagree with gestures because they are linked to BLM etc then it's pretty dangerous. Obviously actual racists will disagree with all gestures BLM or not.

It should be about education, surely? Now it has just turned into Sky seeing when they can whip up a stir and focus on anything like that to have something on their ticker on Sky Sports News.

It should all be about education and discussion. Instead of saying if people boo or disagree are racist and banning them and kicking them out, speak to them and see what their issue is. Yeah they might just be a straight up racist, they may raise valid points, they may not, they may have no idea, they may have just been dicks and wanted to show off.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Haven't seen the Exeter footage but at Cambridge it seemed to be a small section of supporters. When everyone else realised what was happening they started clapping and drowned out the boos.

chiefdave

Not really, not sure why it has been so hard to see why people may have issues with it being "BLM" without being racist. Over the months it has been so confusing, divisive and conflicting.

Somebody can disagree with the BLM stuff but still be totally against racism, if it becomes the norm to start banning / cancelling people who disagree with gestures because they are linked to BLM etc then it's pretty dangerous. Obviously actual racists will disagree with all gestures BLM or not.
The issue is that the people who are claiming they have a political issue with BLM have no answer other than shouting "marxism" when anybody questions them on it. Surely if they have such deeply held beliefs about the politics of the BLM movement that they actively boo people making a gesture against racism, even when those people have explicitly stated it is non-political, it is reasonable to expect they could give even the most basic information on those beliefs when asked.

It also unravels quite quickly when you look at the social media accounts of those objecting the loudest and claiming it is a political objection and not racism.

I'm not religious and think its all nonsense but I don't boo our players if they cross themselves coming onto the pitch or have a quick pray before kick off.

Brighton Sky Blue

It should be about education, surely? Now it has just turned into Sky seeing when they can whip up a stir and focus on anything like that to have something on their ticker on Sky Sports News.

I don't understand why you wouldn't take action against those booing the gesture, it's the wrong fight to be having in my view. BLM didn't even start the gesture. I also don't get what about it is divisive, though it is an Americanised gesture focussing on the largest ethnic minority over there and not here.

Nick

Administrator
The issue is that the people who are claiming they have a political issue with BLM have no answer other than shouting "marxism" when anybody questions them on it. Surely if they have such deeply held beliefs about the politics of the BLM movement that they actively boo people making a gesture against racism, even when those people have explicitly stated it is non-political, it is reasonable to expect they could give even the most basic information on those beliefs when asked.

It also unravels quite quickly when you look at the social media accounts of those objecting the loudest and claiming it is a political objection and not racism.

I'm not religious and think its all nonsense but I don't boo our players if they cross themselves coming onto the pitch or have a quick pray before kick off.

I agree, I don't boo if it's something I don't believe in either like Ramadam etc etc but would just stay quiet for a minute or too.

Even if it is a marxist cult and players believed in it and followed it that's up to them.

I am just pointing out why there will always be disagreements when it comes to things being linked with "BLM" rather than just generic anti racism.

I assume people have just seen about the founders of BLM and linked everything back to that.

As I have said, distance from BLM and educate, educate, educate.

SBT

Now it has just turned into Sky seeing when they can whip up a stir and focus on anything like that to have something on their ticker on Sky Sports News.

Amazing that you can dredge up a dead thread after days so you can rehash the usual old talking points, and then complain about Sky whipping up a stir!

Fwiw I've got no issue with fans being suspended/banned for booing anti-racism gestures. Grumble all you like if you still disagree with anti-discrimination, post away on your own message board to your heart's content. But booing is the kind of disrespect that clubs should rightly not be tolerating. I'm not exactly a fan of the annual poppy orgy that we go through every year, but if I start booing the minute's silence every November then I doubt I'd last long either.

Nick

Administrator
I don't understand why you wouldn't take action against those booing the gesture, it's the wrong fight to be having in my view. BLM didn't even start the gesture. I also don't get what about it is divisive, though it is an Americanised gesture focussing on the largest ethnic minority over there and not here.

Again, I don't agree with the booing but surely as it is politicised then it's wide open for interpretation and disagreement.

It's OK saying BLM didn't start the gesture but it was started before football matches before BLM which is what people are linking together isn't it?

That's why it is so much easier to just distance from BLM and push the hell out of the No Room for Racism stuff and educate people more rather than people not really noticing it until Sky Sports do a witchhunt.

Nick

Administrator
Amazing that you can dredge up a dead thread after days so you can rehash the usual old talking points, and then complain about Sky whipping up a stir!

Fwiw I've got no issue with fans being suspended/banned for booing anti-racism gestures. Grumble all you like if you still disagree with anti-discrimination, post away on your own message board to your heart's content. But booing is the kind of disrespect that clubs should rightly not be tolerating. I'm not exactly a fan of the annual poppy orgy that we go through every year, but if I start booing the minute's silence every November then I doubt I'd last long either.

Try reading what I have actually written.

I am pointing out why it is wide open for people to disagree with it when it's all labelled as BLM and political compared to the "No Room for Racism" stuff. While people just label anybody who says it as a racist or they have an issue with anti-discrimination then nothing will ever get sorted and it will just be divisive.

To confirm, I can see why people would disagree with BLM stuff. I don't agree with booing it, there is NO reason to disagree with something as simple as "No Room for Racism" at all.

Brighton Sky Blue

Again, I don't agree with the booing but surely as it is politicised then it's wide open for interpretation and disagreement.

It's OK saying BLM didn't start the gesture but it was started before football matches before BLM which is what people are linking together isn't it?

That's why it is so much easier to just distance from BLM and push the hell out of the No Room for Racism stuff and educate people more rather than people not really noticing it until Sky Sports do a witchhunt.

The whole issue is political in nature. It isn't a BLM gesture is it, it's just something started by an NFL player that took off over there.

Nick

Administrator
The whole issue is political in nature. It isn't a BLM gesture is it, it's just something started by an NFL player that took off over there.

Surely you can see why people link it to BLM?

The NFL player did it years ago, it started here before football matches while everything was BLM.

It is pretty easy to see why people see it as a "BLM" gesture.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely you can see why people link it to BLM?

The NFL player did it years ago, it started here before football matches while everything was BLM.

It is pretty easy to see why people see it as a "BLM" gesture.

Right, but it's not and surely you can see how it appears to black players if they get booed doing what they think is just a gesture of solidarity?

SBT

To confirm, I can see why people would disagree with BLM stuff. I don't agree with booing it, there is NO reason to disagree with something as simple as "No Room for Racism" at all.

So if our black players said they wanted to kneel in support of "No Room for Racism", you'd be OK with that?

Nick

Administrator
Right, but it's not and surely you can see how it appears to black players if they get booed doing what they think is just a gesture of solidarity?

This is why I am saying about education and discussion instead of just "you are all racists".

It has been drummed into people over here "take the knee, BLM". That's why people see them as one of the same (rightly or wrongly) as nobody over here was doing it before George Floyd / BLM etc.

It really isn't complicated but it's much easier to just label everybody racist rather than discuss or see why people may disagree with certain things.

Nick

Administrator
So if our black players said they wanted to kneel in support of "No Room for Racism", you'd be OK with that?

Again, the "kneeling" is associated with BLM / George Floyd in the UK isn't it?

It really isn't hard to try and step back and see why people link the things up like that and therefore don't agree.

I just personally think it should be distanced from the whole BLM / George Floyd things, of course people will find a way to disagree and actual racists will hate it but that's the point.

chiefdave

Be interested to know how you identify which players are making a gesture because they're marxist, support BLM, support No Room For Racism, support Not Today Or Any Day, support Kick It Out or just want to make a gesture against racism in general.

Does each one have a secret signal I'm not aware on so that people know when to boo?

SBT

It really isn't hard to try and step back and see why people link the things up like that and therefore don't agree.

I just personally think it should be distanced from the whole BLM / George Floyd things, of course people will find a way to disagree and actual racists will hate it but that's the point.

I refuse to believe that if our black players asked for every game to start with 10 seconds of silence to honour "No Room For Racism" that you and the usual suspects wouldn't be complaining about it again within a few weeks. Tell me I'm wrong.

Evo1883

giphy.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

This is why I am saying about education and discussion instead of just "you are all racists".

It has been drummed into people over here "take the knee, BLM". That's why people see them as one of the same (rightly or wrongly) as nobody over here was doing it before George Floyd / BLM etc.

It really isn't complicated but it's much easier to just label everybody racist rather than discuss or see why people may disagree with certain things.

I don't think people thinking the gesture every game is losing impact are racist. I do think those who booed are at best extremely ignorant and at worst, yeah, racist. Other people's ignorance shouldn't be the reason to stop

Nick

Administrator
Be interested to know how you identify which players are making a gesture because they're marxist, support BLM, support No Room For Racism, support Not Today Or Any Day, support Kick It Out or just want to make a gesture against racism in general.

Does each one have a secret signal I'm not aware on so that people know when to boo?

That's the thing, something started happening and being a "thing" over here at that time of BLM and George Floyd so people will instantly associate it with that, won't they?

It's far too open to interpretation isn't it? Much the same as if I did things that people would generally associate with something but then said it was for something else?

The simple answer, completely distance from BLM / George Floyd. (Not anti-discrimination, push that hard)

Skybluefaz

Yet they will wear Hugo Boss gear and not be labelled a Nazi when Hugo Boss was a massive Nazi. Can I boo any Hugo Boss wearers? Should I boo myself when I wear my Boss stuff? It's so confusing.

Nick

Administrator
Yet they will wear Hugo Boss gear and not be labelled a Nazi when Hugo Boss was a massive Nazi. Can I boo any Hugo Boss wearers? Should I boo myself when I wear my Boss stuff? It's so confusing.

Can I throw some gang signs and nazi salutes and saying it is a gesture of love?

Like it or not, people over here associate taking the knee with BLM don't they?

I am not disagreeing with anti-discrimination, far from it. I am pointing out why it is wide open for the BLM stuff to cause confusion etc as opposed to a generic anti-discrimination thing.

Skybluefaz

Can I throw some gang signs and nazi salutes and saying it is a gesture of love?

Like it or not, people over here associate taking the knee with BLM don't they?
Only because they want to, for whatever reason. Why would they not associate Boss with the Nazis when he literally made the fucking uniforms? Because they don't want to, for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread