Match Thread Swindon Town Friendly (4 Viewers)

Grendel

This is my worry mate

We have one proven goal scorer at any level and the other strikers have struggled at lower levels so it’s clearly a huge issue

cc84cov

We have one proven goal scorer at any level and the other strikers have struggled at lower levels so it’s clearly a huge issue
Massively,I don’t think some young loan from a premier club is the answer either agreed it’s a difficult market to be in for us

David O'Day

The obsession with Hilßner is strange. He's always looked a "big lad" but he has a lovely left foot, great technique and is relearning a position after being a wide player at most of his clubs.

He was good enough for a Bundesliga team to take a punt on him so he's got every chance of being good enough for us.

shmmeee

Got to admit I can’t see where the answer comes from up front. Only hope is I felt this way all last season and we did OK, but then it makes the DCM and CB purchases so much more important because this defence won’t hold up like it did in L1 IMO.

shmmeee

The obsession with Hilßner is strange. He's always looked a "big lad" but he has a lovely left foot, great technique and is relearning a position after being a wide player at most of his clubs.

He was good enough for a Bundesliga team to take a punt on him so he's got every chance of being good enough for us.

The only people obsessed with Hilßner are those constantly bringing him up claiming others are obsessed with him. People have said he looks off the pace, because he does, that’s it. Barely anyone has mentioned his footballing ability. For the record, he looks a smart player with talent. But right now he’s off the pace.

cc84cov

Got to admit I can’t see where the answer comes from up front. Only hope is I felt this way all last season and we did OK, but then it makes the DCM and CB purchases so much more important because this defence won’t hold up like it did in L1 IMO.
I think a loan defender might come in until Rose is back mate we are having a good look at drysdale filling in there I think until he’s back.

cc84cov

The only people obsessed with Hilßner are those constantly bringing him up claiming others are obsessed with him. People have said he looks off the pace, because he does, that’s it. Barely anyone has mentioned his footballing ability. For the record, he looks a smart player with talent. But right now he’s off the pace.
The whole squad bar Giles,Hamer & Jones look off the pace to me mate 6 weeks training 2 games in I felt we were behind Swindon who came back a week after us we had just come jack from a week off also.

David O'Day

As i'm the only person today that has mentioned other peoples opinion of him today you really need to stop talking shit mate.

shmmeee

I think a loan defender might come in until Rose is back mate we are having a good look at drysdale filling in there I think until he’s back.

Even then I don’t think McFadz is going to make the step up, I think he’ll get caught in possession more this season both because of the step up and he’s a year older. I’m not sure Pask or Drysdale, while I rate them both, are right to replace him. I’d like to see someone come in at least for the season.

I’d be reasonably happy with Otasowie and Sheaf and Tyler Walker I think as rumoured. We’d still be fighting relegation though I think.

cc84cov

I’m struggling to see how Hilsner was ever a winger he looks to slow & doesn’t have the right body shape for it,I think once he learns that positional side of our game and gets fitter he will be ok he wasn’t any worse than O’Hare yesterday

cc84cov

Even then I don’t think McFadz is going to make the step up, I think he’ll get caught in possession more this season both because of the step up and he’s a year older. I’m not sure Pask or Drysdale, while I rate them both, are right to replace him. I’d like to see someone come in at least for the season.

I’d be reasonably happy with Otasowie and Sheaf and Tyler Walker I think as rumoured. We’d still be fighting relegation though I think.
Yesterday I seen a case for us going after Tyler Walker mate their Number 9 looked handy

Sky Blue Harry H

Massively,I don’t think some young loan from a premier club is the answer either agreed it’s a difficult market to be in for us

You say that, but Derby had Mason Mount and Harry Wilson on loan, and they completely transformed that team. Get the right youngster(s) on loan and it;s fine, Still looks raw, but we need Bapaga signed up on a contract before someone snaps him up for pennies. Assuming someone that age can be tied down on a contract? Assume so, if you look at Bellingham.

fernandopartridge

Apparently he's been looking really good in training but didn't show it yesterday
Not terrible but he's got to be more consistent
Hilsner is a skilful player but unless he puts a shift in he won't go far with Robins & Viveash
He just needs to be aggressive all of the time, he is when closing down keepers but he doesn't give centre backs enough to worry about. He did link up well with Godden once or twice

Mucca Mad Boys

Our transfer window certainly isn’t over yet, and we’ll bring more players in. Yesterday never changed that.

Preseason is all about match fitness and trying new things out with personnel, formation and so on.

Didn’t watch the game, so won’t pass comment on that. But, I’m not overly concerned we lost because the result is inconsequential.

stupot07

He just needs to be aggressive all of the time, he is when closing down keepers but he doesn't give centre backs enough to worry about. He did link up well with Godden once or twice
Agreed, he doesnt work the defenders enough, and he doesn't protect the ball anywhere as well as Biamou, which given his size and strength he should be able to do with ease.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If we could find the right ST then the importance of the DCM etc is reduced a bit as we'll be more potent at the other end. Even if we bring in good players in those positions without the right attacking options they're still going to be under pressure most games and likely to struggle.

Trouble is those attacking options are expensive so we're kind of going to have to hope we can pick up a gem that's gone under others radar. But for me the striker is the most important acquisition. Godden will be OK but we really could do with an upgrade.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You say that, but Derby had Mason Mount and Harry Wilson on loan, and they completely transformed that team. Get the right youngster(s) on loan and it;s fine, Still looks raw, but we need Bapaga signed up on a contract before someone snaps him up for pennies. Assuming someone that age can be tied down on a contract? Assume so, if you look at Bellingham.

Bapaga signed a contract on his 17th birthday until Jun 2022.

cc84cov

Agreed, he doesnt work the defenders enough, and he doesn't protect the ball anywhere as well as Biamou, which given his size and strength he should be able to do with ease.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
My issue is he looks the exact same player was when he first came he hasn’t progressed much if anything

NorthernWisdom

Bellingham actively waited to sign a contract before agreeing a move, so Brum got some cash, I think.

I’m struggling to see how Hilsner was ever a winger he looks to slow
If Darren Currie can be a winger...!

stevefloyd

I know what we can all do...watch our favourite team play, then come onto the forum and slag as many people off as possible ...best slagger wins

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

He is on a pro contract but the big clubs are already aware of him hence he was put into the first team environment soon as they could. What’s also interesting is in the Ipswich away video where the players are celebrating he’s there despite not being in any of the league squads since November, I think they know they’ve got a good talent on the books and giving special treatment

stevefloyd

In each of Robins' full seasons, it seems we've had our training set up to finish the season more strongly than other teams, and this does mean we look a bit slower at the start, before we get into gear.

As long as we're patient (and Robins has earned that) that can work quite well. It's echoes of Ferguson's Man Utd.

(Does depend on us being able to finish a season, of course!)
Thats a fair point, I did say yesterday that I thought we would have been further forward with pre season, still cannot understand why we had a week off but Robins knows far far better than me and dare I say anyone else on here,.
In my mind I thought we would be aiming at trying to be fitter than the rest of the championship to give us an extra edge but as you say over the past few seasons we have definitiely been more long distance finishers than sprint finishers...long may it continue ...as for yesterday Swindon gave us a decent workout and their striker looked leaps and bounds better than Baka so lets hope thats another one I get wrong and Robins does know best PUSB

shmmeee

He is on a pro contract but the big clubs are already aware of him hence he was put into the first team environment soon as they could. What’s also interesting is in the Ipswich away video where the players are celebrating he’s there despite not being in any of the league squads since November, I think they know they’ve got a good talent on the books and giving special treatment

Where would you see him fitting into the current first team? Challenging Allen/O’Hare/Shipley Id assume? Going to be tough to break through.

Sky Blue Harry H

Where would you see him fitting into the current first team? Challenging Allen/O’Hare/Shipley Id assume? Going to be tough to break through.
Carabao cup (or whatever it's called). May have him involved in those, plus FA Cup, and in league games when we're 4-0 ahead!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Carabao cup (or whatever it's called). May have him involved in those, plus FA Cup, and in league games when we're 4-0 ahead!

So you wouldn't have him involved in the league then :LOL:

I think it'd be best to mainly keep him U23 this year - it is technically his second year scholarship so should be playing U18.

We tried to push N'Gandu up through the age groups from a very young age and he's stalled the last couple of years. People were raving about him from about the age of 13.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd extend that asap. You can tell he's going to make it.

As I've just said the opinion of N'gandu was even higher than Bapaga when he was young but he's stalled. So I'd be keeping an eye on it but I wouldn't be looking to extend until at least towards the end of the season.

He was pushed up last season but ended up back playing for U23/U18 because he clearly wasn't ready and it's not like he was an absolute stand-out in those. I hope he does well but one promising pre-season cameo is no reason to think he's a superstar in the making.

Users who are viewing this thread