Survival? Sorry... but am I missing something (1 Viewer)

Otis

Okay, so maybe it was 18 mins then.

The point is if we don't tighten things up and try and dominate from the start then one of these games we will find ourselves two goals down. It's an accident waiting to happen.

I could run across the motorway three times and not get hit. Does that mean I am okay to keep on doing it?

mexico88

...Thorn seemed to think we did well in the first half and he described it as us being comfortable.

That's my main worry. Thorn has clearly admitted on several occasions after losing that he "don't know" why we play poorly on occasions. Not 'needed to switch to 4-4-2, but didn't do it in time' or 'The opposition did their home work and stopped everything from going through them' just... "don't know." So, if he doesn't know what it is - THEN HOW ON EARTH ARE SOME OF YOU EXPECTING A TURN IN FORTUNES??? What are some of you basing this turn of fortune on? There's no new additions, no manager change, no upturn in performances (They are actually getting worse - I've been at the last 3 games).

mexico88

I could run across the motorway three times and not get hit. Does that mean I am okay to keep on doing it?

It's more than likely - especially as there will be a fair few people keeping the faith and hoping that the driver of the other car is poor.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's my main worry. Thorn has clearly admitted on several occasions after losing that he "don't know" why we play poorly on occasions. Not 'needed to switch to 4-4-2, but didn't do it in time' or 'The opposition did their home work and stopped everything from going through them' just... "don't know." So, if he doesn't know what it is - THEN HOW ON EARTH ARE SOME OF YOU EXPECTING A TURN IN FORTUNES??? What are some of you basing this turn of fortune on? There's no new additions, no manager change, no upturn in performances (They are actually getting worse - I've been at the last 3 games).

The one obvious thing is that he either doesn't know, or is incapable of carrying out, how to get wins on the road. It's as obvious as daylight that we are setting our stall out wrong, so he can't be oblivious to that. What it leads you to conclude is that he doesn't know what to do away from home-which is confusing since actually, at home we seem capable of putting teams on the back foot and playing more openly.

torchomatic

Surely, its the result at 90 minutes that counts? Its all very wellsaying we were lucky - but on the other side of the coin I certainly didn't see you saying how unlucky we've been when we have dominated games but conceded in the last few minutes. You can't hsve it both ways.

Well i dare say we have had our fair share of luck at home of late.

Leeds were all over us the first 20 mins and only bad finishing prevented them being a goal or two up. Same with Middlesborough. they could have easily been 2-0 up against us. On Saturday again we were really sluggish out the blocks. Luckily Barnsley had no intention of going for the win.

kg82

Okay, so maybe it was 18 mins then.

The point is if we don't tighten things up and try and dominate from the start then one of these games we will find ourselves two goals down. It's an accident waiting to happen.

That's a hugely extreme example. A team that hasn't been out the bottom 3 since October starting off slowly in games would be put down to lack of confidence I'd suggest. I want them to dominate games as much as the next fan but you were talking about being realistic earlier and I'd think it's realistic for us to not dominate whole games, considering our league position.

Otis

Surely, its the result at 90 minutes that counts? Its all very wellsaying we were lucky - but on the other side of the coin I certainly didn't see you saying how unlucky we've been when we have dominated games but conceded in the last few minutes. You can't hsve it both ways.

Don't understand your argument. When we have lost goals in the dying minutes they have pretty much been down to our own errors. It's not unlucky if you make a terrible pass that results in a goal.

You have to admit that Leeds and Middlesborough most certainly didn't have their shooting boots on when they played us.

Otis

That's a hugely extreme example. A team that hasn't been out the bottom 3 since October starting off slowly in games would be put down to lack of confidence I'd suggest. I want them to dominate games as much as the next fan but you were talking about being realistic earlier and I'd think it's realistic for us to not dominate whole games, considering our league position.

But I'm not talking about whole games. I am talking about us being up and at the races from the start. We don't have to play well the whole game, but the first 15-20 mins could be crucial. It sets down a marker and if you go a goal in front then that obviously gives you the upper hand and puts the opposition on the back foot.

Don't forget, we haven't come back from a goal down to win a game.

Even if we start off sluggish we should at least be a lot tighter rather than allowing huge spaces and giving away goal scoriing opportunities.

kg82

But I'm not talking about whole games. I am talking about us being up and at the races from the start. We don't have to play well the whole game, but the first 15-20 mins could be crucial. It sets down a marker and if you go a goal in front then that obviously gives you the upper hand and puts the opposition on the back foot.

Don't forget, we haven't come back from a goal down to win a game.

Even if we start off sluggish we should at least be a lot tighter rather than allowing huge spaces and giving away goal scoriing opportunities.

But you have heard of teams low on confidence starting off slowly, right? A team that hasn't been out the bottom 3 in 4 months isn't exactly going to be "buzzin"! And to be perfectly honest with you, I hate it when we start off brightly - there's only one way that goes for us.

Otis

But you have heard of teams low on confidence starting off slowly, right? A team that hasn't been out the bottom 3 in 4 months isn't exactly going to be "buzzin"! And to be perfectly honest with you, I hate it when we start off brightly - there's only one way that goes for us.

But why are we low on confidence at home? Haven't we just won 5 out of 6 home games? Shouldn't our confidence at home be pretty damn high?

kg82

But why are we low on confidence at home? Haven't we just won 5 out of 6 home games? Shouldn't our confidence at home be pretty damn high?

A team in the bottom 3 isn't going to be high in confidence unless they get a run going, no matter what form is like home and away. We haven't had any sort of a run. So no, I'd suggest that those players can not just turn on confidence whenever they feel like it.

SuperCov

I don't go as often as I have liked over recent years (only been to the home game against Burnley this year - hey saw Cody's only goal). I was going to go this weekend against Barnsley because I thought the outcome would be to our favour relatively easily. I was so annoyed thinking we've let it slip again with teams around us picking up vital three points and went off to make a cuppa mumbling how we're probably going to lose now in the 85th minute and when I heard on the TV that Platt had scored I shouted like a little schoolboy. We were still in the dogfight.

My head says that we're down, but my heart will always bleed sky blue and I'll never stop thinking we can't get out of this until it is mathematically impossible.

Sky Blues Survial: GAME ON! :D

ICHAN

As otis said, if we keep losing away the pressure mounts even more at home to get a result, ok we have done well at home lately but the pressure will start really mounting up on the players as each game goes by.
Can the players cope with the ever increasing pressure?
Has the manager got the mental strength and knowledge to get the players to start fighting for the cause, uptil now NO.

It can be said nothing is fact about results very true, but everything uptil now points towards the team and management including coach's not being able to get the results out of the inexperianced players at the club as the experianced players uptil now have certainly not shown that they are strong enough to help the less experianced players.

For these reasons I just can not see the whole team having the nounce about them to keep us up.

Otis

Disagree somewhat.

Don't expect them to be overly confident, just to play at at higher tempo and by in teams faces a bit more from the off.

If we don't we are going to pay the penalty one of these home games.

kg82

We are on a great Home Run. We are infact on our best overall run so far this season. Confidence should be building.

I'd say our away form ruins confidence though. That's what I'm with Otis on, to have any chance of survival we need to start picking up points away. Without that the pressure builds on our home form.

Otis

A win at Leshtur and I might start believing.

I think an away win could be a huge lift to our confidence and belief.

Do feel like I am just dreaming though.

kg82

We've just got to keep ourselves in the race. One thing's for certain, I don't want another season like this one - ever.

Otis

Totally agree.

Someone the other day said they have found it exciting.

i have found it an absolute nightmare. One of the worst in living memory.

Bottom 3 since October, owners we all despise, dwindling gates and thoughts of more struggles to come.

I have hated it. Absolutely hated it.

:facepalm:

kg82

Totally agree.

Someone the other day said they have found it exciting.

i have found it an absolute nightmare. One of the worst in living memory.

Bottom 3 since October, owners we all despise, dwindling gates and thoughts of more struggles to come.

I have hated it. Absolutely hated it.

:facepalm:

Yesss, I found that comment strange too.

ajsccfc

I think by exciting they just mean there's more drama and more at stake than our usual aimless drifting between lower-mid table and flirting with relegation.

covcity4life

it all depends on if we stay up doesnt it?

if we do then it will be remembered as the great escape

if we go down it will be the most depressing season we have ever had imo

J

Jack Griffin

Yeah, that's about the size of it. The last month or so has been very up & down, win at home, become hopeful, lose away, become deflated.... and repeat.

torchomatic

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
There have been moments of excitement this season but overall I have been distinctly under whelmed by events on the pitch.

To me there has been a distinct lack of passion, urgency and desire on the pitch. Not saying that most players dont work hard but the words in the interviews somehow dont match the performances. Too often there has been a lack of decision, leadership and direction. Seems to me that some have hidden behind the off field stuff instead of using it to drive the team on.

The football - well to be honest I enjoy watching my lad play more, i enjoy watching the U18's at CCFC more. Yes we pass it around but usually in our half, too slowly, risk averse, seemingly trying not to lose rather than trying to win. It looks better than we had under AB certainly but it isnt that effective. I dont want to see hoofball, but i also do not want to see pretty passing in our half with no end product. Most games I have frankly been bored and frustrated. The annoying thing is that we have glimpses of efficient effective football played in the opponents half - so we know the team can do it, but too often choose not to.

To me there is no point having 60% of possession if we end up losing. We have set up with our ambition too low this season (use the off field stuff as an excuse if you like) and we have played largely sterile in effective football - the results affected accordingly. The lack of quality and squad size do not excuse lack of passion and application.

Hard to think of a more disappointing season even if we do stay up

just my opinon

Users who are viewing this thread