Survival? Sorry... but am I missing something (1 Viewer)

No, just facing facts, Rich.

We have the worst away record in the entire Football League. We need points on our travels to survive. We have lost 9 away games on the trot. We have only scored 7 goals in 16 away games.

That tells me that we are likely to go down. Difficult to argue against that. Have we seen anything away from home lately that has made it look like we can pick up points? Did we even make the Forest keeper make a save in the last game?

Just facing facts, Rich.

You said more than likely go down. As in it's a definite. Well it's not and I believe that we will more than likely stay up. It's all opinion otis and NOT fact.

Otis

But what I am saying Rich is that the facts point to us being more than likely to go down.

We have to pick points up on our travels. We haven't won away all season and have some very tough away games to come. On what basis do people think we are suddenly going to transform our away form?

It's not definite, of course it's not. But it's more than likely.

The first time we win away i will be the first to come on here and say maybe we can survive. Nothing points to us getting that first away win though.

mexico88

We can all remain positive in supporting the team and getting behind them on match days, yet at the same time debate the issues at hand and also face up to the stark reality that we will more than likely go down.

Sort of agree...

I think support for the team means we do our bit to influence change - not just sit there and pretend there isn't a problem. Sure we can settle and be happy with the manager - but look at the direction it's taking. If a captain quote "don't know" why his ship is about to smash into an obvious iceberg, would you a) remain positive and hope he works it out -or- b) See if there is another captain who can take over the situation and look at it from a different point of view and offer different solutions to potentially offer a better chance of avoidance?

Never really understood this method of thought from some people: Getting behind the team no matter what. Isn't it supposed to be two-way? Aren't they supposed to give 100% in return for our 100%?

I definitely get behind the team when they deserve it. One example, when they are loosing, but still fighting for it and putting in maximum effort.

But I reserve the right to get on their back if I'm making an effort to support and see them 'going-through-the-motions'. Not acceptable and I'll vent my frustration at who I think is responsible for it - right now, I'm of the opinion that it's the manager.

I'm only after the betterment of Coventry City FC. Nothing else. Don't care if someone's had a hard time with the owners, don't care if someone was thrown into the deep end, don't care if it's someone's first time in the seat. What I do care about is: Is this the best option for the club right now?

kg82

But it isn't a fact that we're down. All the facts may point to it but we're not actually down. We went through the 1999/2000 season without an away win and stayed up - surely the facts also pointed to relegation that season?

I don't know what's going to happen. Our home form is amazing at the moment but we need more away. I'm just keeping everything crossed, we need to stay up.

Otis

Sorry but if something is likely then it may well happen. If something is more than likely it will happen.

We went to different schools then.

No way in my understanding does "more than likely to happen" meant "it will happen." It just doesn't mean that.

Does "most likely" mean the same in your understanding too?

The way I understand it by degree would be thus;

Unlikely to happen
Likely to happen
More than likely to happen
Will happen.

Last edited:

Grendel

But it isn't a fact that we're down. All the facts may point to it but we're not actually down. We went through the 1999/2000 season without an away win and stayed up - surely the facts also pointed to relegation that season?

I don't know what's going to happen. Our home form is amazing at the moment but we need more away. I'm just keeping everything crossed, we need to stay up.

We finished 11 points above the relegation zone and were never in the bottom 3. No team I can find has won no games in the Championship away and survived. We don't even secure away draws just losses

Otis

I know that. I haven't said it is a fact we are down. Just that the facts point to us going down and this being based on our woeful away form.

kg82

We finished 11 points above the relegation zone and were never in the bottom 3. No team I can find has won no games in the Championship away and survived. We don't even secure away draws just losses

And? My "Fact" was we went through the season with no away wins and stayed up. I'm as much open to the realisation we may get relegated as we may stay up. We've given ourself a chance and 3 games ago Bristol City were 8 points ahead of us, now they're just 3.

Otis

If you have the option of more than likely, why don't you have the option of less than unlikely?

Because i couldn't arsed to type any more. :D Yes, of course you could add less than likely.

But if someone asked you if you were going down the pub and you thought that were probably would be, would saying 'you are more than likely to' mean you were definitely going? Course not. If you were going you would simply say 'yes.'

More than likely is not a definite.

olderskyblue

Unlikely to happen
Likely to happen
More than likely to happen
Will happen

We must have attended the same school Otis....

olderskyblue

Did they push your head down the toilet bowl too while giving you a wedgie?

Oh, was that you? I'm really sorry mate ........ :p

Because i couldn't arsed to type any more. :D Yes, of course you could add less than likely.

But if someone asked you if you were going down the pub and you thought that were probably would be, would saying 'you are more than likely to' mean you were definitely going? Course not. If you were going you would simply say 'yes.'

More than likely is not a definite.

If I said I was more than likely going to the pub, that would mean I was definitely going to the pub unless I get run over when crossing the road to the pub (But I'd best check with the missus first).

Otis

If I said I was more than likely going to the pub, that would mean I was definitely going to the pub unless I get run over when crossing the road to the pub (But I'd best check with the missus first).

Seriously? More than likely would mean definite? All it means is that it is more than likely. People say more than likely because it is not definite.

Can you just tell me what school you went to so I can have a word with your head teacher and give him/her a right earbashing!:D

Last edited:
Seriously? More than likely would mean definite? All it means is that it is more than likely.

Can you just tell me what school you went to so I can have a word with your head teacher and give him/her a right earbashing!:D

I wen't to Blue Coat, but the Headteacher died of cancer about 3 years ago.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I disagree that we are more than likely to go down, apart from Forest we are in better form than all the teams around us. I don't see Pompy, Donny and Bristol averaging much more than a point a game tbh. I think we have as good as chance of staying up as all the teams around us.

Grendel

The next 3 games may prove decisive in the sense that the 2 home games are by far the most difficult of the 6 we have left and to even pick 4 points up from them would be a major achievement. That is why I think we cannot expect survival if we lose all away games. The law of averages suggests we have to win 1 away game but I will bet it will not be the one we have to win.

Sick Boy

The next 3 games may prove decisive in the sense that the 2 home games are by far the most difficult of the 6 we have left and to even pick 4 points up from them would be a major achievement. That is why I think we cannot expect survival if we lose all away games. The law of averages suggests we have to win 1 away game but I will bet it will not be the one we have to win.

If I am being realistic, then I can only see 1 point from the next 3 games, 3 at the very most.

@richh87

We are more than likely to go down That is because no other team lost around 10 players from their first team squad and replaced them with children.

I don't think it'll be decided by the next 2 particularly. More so the games against our fellow strugglers.

Grendel

If I am being realistic, then I can only see 1 point from the next 3 games, 3 at the very most.

Most people think Palace is a push over - only because they haven't bothered to check their away record.

Grendel

We are more than likely to go down That is because no other team lost around 10 players from their first team squad and replaced them with children.

I don't think it'll be decided by the next 2 particularly. More so the games against our fellow strugglers.

Same old record - team plays no more youth players than the average team unless like Thorn he insists on playing Christie.
Find another reason to defend his ineptitude.

Sick Boy

I didn't realise our starting XI was made up of under-18's on Saturday?

At least you will be happy that relegation is staring us in the face.

I disagree that we are more than likely to go down, apart from Forest we are in better form than all the teams around us. I don't see Pompy, Donny and Bristol averaging much more than a point a game tbh. I think we have as good as chance of staying up as all the teams around us.

Which goes back to my original post, it's all opinion. I think we are likely to stay up given our previous record at staying up by chance. I personally don't think we are more likely to go down than any of the other 4 teams within 3 points of us.

Otis

I think the next 2 games could be key. If we lose at Leshtur and at home against a very good Palace side (let us not forget), then though still mathematically possible, you would have to say that, that would be just about it for us.

And understand your point, Rich, but the fact is we have the worst away record in the entire football league.

For that reason, I would say we are more likely.

Unless we win at least one away game we will be down for sure. Linnell on CWR said he thought we'd need 3 away wins. think that is a bit OTT, but we need at least one away win and some draws too.

After Forest won away at Birmingham on Saturday when they were 3rd in the league and hadn't lost at home all season, would you say that this week Forest were more likely to win at Barnsley away or us to win at Leshtur away, bearing in mind we have only scored 7 goals all year and lost 9 on the trot?

Last edited:
But if all the teams around us also lose their next 2 we are in no worse position, than we currently are. And that position is 1 win away from safety.

Otis

2 more games will have gone and we have Cardiff away, Hull away, Burnley away and Southampton away.

stnomskyblue

But if all the teams around us also lose their next 2 we are in no worse position, than we currently are. And that position is 1 win away from safety.

Totally agree. As I have said before. We need to end up with one more point than 3 of the other crap teams around us. That's all. Dont mean a thing if we fail to get another away point, as long as donny, pompy, bristol, forest continue to stay near us. I get fed up reading all this stats b/s about how many points we MUST get to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread