Summary of January business (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

Meyler was at the very very bottom of the premier league food chain, couldn't cut it in the championship and hopefully he will be a success with us. Risky business this transfer lark.
Who says, have you followed his career and Reading, there are plenty of players at “bottom” of the prem food chain I’d have in our team, what was Sterling at Chelsea for example.?

higgs

not a bad transfer window in my eyes, bit gutted about doyle but not for footballing reasons, more for his presence around the place, he will be back though, maybe as a coach at the end of the season.

JCH was a fee involved? we have lightened fringe players who I imagine between them cost a fair bit of money wages wise.

maybe with these signings we might actually see strikers as strikers and wingers as wingers.
Doyle would have lost his presence when he wasn't playing it affected him badly being dropped

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

skybluegod

I’d be absolutely baffled at the decision making of the club if they thought spending £4M for a player who is more or less guaranteed to be average/poor at Championship level was a good idea - as Grigg’s record has shown this season. It’s complete short terminism. Ironically it’s that exact situation that got Sunderland in such a mess in the first place.

This is spot on. I like Will Grigg, but fuck me... £4 million for a player who hasn’t cut it in the championship is up there with the many other stupid decisions Sunderland have made.

skybluegod

What about maycock is he still on loan?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was strange that one... Robins said he was coming back. But then there was never any news of this? Perhaps Campbell changed his mind, or couldn’t get other targets...

NortonSkyBlue

Who says, have you followed his career and Reading, there are plenty of players at “bottom” of the prem food chain I’d have in our team, what was Sterling at Chelsea for example.?
Sterling is a youngster making his way in the game. That is not a fair comparison.
It would be a very long stretch of the imagination to call Meyler anything other than a journeyman, who in his last gig couldn't cut it in the championship at his peak.
As for having premier league players at the bottom of the food chain think Rammage, think Hunt and dare I say it think Cole.

ceetee

I think Cole was a quality above the other two and that was the problem. His thinking as different from our Div 3 players. For that reason Meyler may fit in better

Nick

Administrator
Sterling is a youngster making his way in the game. That is not a fair comparison.
It would be a very long stretch of the imagination to call Meyler anything other than a journeyman, who in his last gig couldn't cut it in the championship at his peak.
As for having premier league players at the bottom of the food chain think Rammage, think Hunt and dare I say it think Cole.

Is he a journeyman? Didn't think he has had many clubs?

SkyBlueCRJ

This is spot on. I like Will Grigg, but fuck me... £4 million for a player who hasn’t cut it in the championship is up there with the many other stupid decisions Sunderland have made.

I know he was popular at Wigan but I guarantee they were laughing all the way to the bank when Sunderland put the offer in. Don’t get me wrong considering he’s averaged 60 goals in his past 3 seasons in League One, I’m sure he’ll get goals between now and the end of the season and could be the last piece in the jigsaw for their promotion push. But he isn’t worth anywhere near £4M even in today’s inflated market. Sunderland fans will figure that out next season if they achieve promotion.

This is the issue with the January transfer window though, you have to pay ludicrous amounts for average players.

Great_Expectations

Meyler has played for three clubs in England, we are his fourth. He was with Sunderland for four years and Hull for five. Not exactly a journeyman.

Granted it’s not worked at Reading, but that’s football. How many players haven’t worked for us but have elsewhere and vice versa. If that was the case at a number of clubs (e.g. JCH) then fair enough, but Reading seems the exception as opposed to the rule.

I’m not actually a massive Meyler fan (based on the few games I’ve seen), but at this level he should absolutely be a stand out.

It’s a good signing however you cut it.

Londonccfcfan

4 loanees started yesterday. Never a good sign. Although they are our best players. A step backwards during this transfer window (in terms of building for next season) as a club from progression of last 18 months.

Sky Blue Harry H

4 loanees started yesterday. Never a good sign. Although they are our best players. A step backwards during this transfer window (in terms of building for next season) as a club from progression of last 18 months.
Not necessarily. We have less dead wood to get rid of in the summer, which should help ease the process of improving the squad.

Grendel

Not necessarily. We have less dead wood to get rid of in the summer, which should help ease the process of improving the squad.

We will I assume need 2 goalepers, brown Willis abd davis will need replacing, we will have few midfielders left who are instant choices and the forward line are proven failures

Otis

We will I assume need 2 goalepers, brown Willis abd davis will need replacing, we will have few midfielders left who are instant choices and the forward line are proven failures
But then we have Max Biamou to come back in.

Have a little bit of faith at least.

shmmeee

We signed four players, at least three of which you’d expect to make an impact next season: Chaplin, Rose, Wakefield.

With no renewals, the squad next season is:

GK: ??? (OK that’s not great)
RB: ???? (K, bad start)
LB: Brown, Mason, McCallum (here we go)
CB: Hyam, Rose, Thompson, Drysdale
CM: Bayliss, Kelly, Westbrooke
AM/W: Jones, Wakefield, Shipley
ST: Chaplin, Hiwula, Bakayoko, Biamou

Realistically, that’s only 4/5 signings off a decent side (GK/RB/CB/DM/AM). And that’s if we can’t get any of our current players to sign new deals. Well probably loan in 3/4 and people like Burroughs/Bremang/Ngandu will be coming through.

I think we’ll sign an experienced GK and DM, a couple of young RBs, probably get Davies or Willis to resign, then loan in a couple of forwards. A standard summers worth of business.

Otis

We signed four players, at least three of which you’d expect to make an impact next season: Chaplin, Rose, Wakefield.

With no renewals, the squad next season is:

GK: ??? (OK that’s not great)
RB: ???? (K, bad start)
LB: Brown, Mason, McCallum (here we go)
CB: Hyam, Rose, Thompson, Drysdale
CM: Bayliss, Kelly, Westbrooke
AM/W: Jones, Wakefield, Shipley
ST: Chaplin, Hiwula, Bakayoko, Biamou

Realistically, that’s only 4/5 signings off a decent side (GK/RB/CB/DM/AM). And that’s if we can’t get any of our current players to sign new deals. Well probably loan in 3/4 and people like Burroughs/Bremang/Ngandu will be coming through.

I think we’ll sign an experienced GK and DM, a couple of young RBs, probably get Davies or Willis to resign, then loan in a couple of forwards. A standard summers worth of business.
Tis said Burroughs is close to a start right now even.

Grendel

So everyone still think January was a decent bit of business

Users who are viewing this thread