Summary of January business (1 Viewer)

BigadamL

not a bad transfer window in my eyes, bit gutted about doyle but not for footballing reasons, more for his presence around the place, he will be back though, maybe as a coach at the end of the season.

JCH was a fee involved? we have lightened fringe players who I imagine between them cost a fair bit of money wages wise.

maybe with these signings we might actually see strikers as strikers and wingers as wingers.

Nick

Administrator
I hated that, never seen so much vitriol towards a player before they'd even taken their first training session with us.

I still remember a lad saying something like "fuck this c**t off" or something along those lines.

It doesn't help that Robins has also stuck the boot in.

Give the lad a chance and a decent run in the side, I haven't seen somebody change the game like that Charlton one for a while.

ajsccfc

My favourite part of that Charlton game was that it shut the idiots up for at least a little bit, seemed to do the trick plus now that absolutely nobody can score it's hard to single anyone out.

Nick

Administrator
My favourite part of that Charlton game was that it shut the idiots up for at least a little bit, seemed to do the trick plus now that absolutely nobody can score it's hard to single anyone out.

Exactly. It's time Robins starts trying to play to the player's strengths rather than trying to fit players into a system that might not work.

Their defence couldn't get near him that day as he was picking the ball up, laying it off and then making runs into the box. That's something not many of our other players do.

Otis

So we have the same failed forward line and a player whose career clearly in sharp decline
As has been stated, Enkbakhare can play up front and has only been here 5 mins, so I don't think that comment holds too much water to be honest.

The forward line HAS been failing, but Chaplin is at last starting to score a few and as I say, we now have Enobakhare too.

Although I still think he is a bit raw, there's Ponticelli as an option too very soon.

shmmeee

bright needs to be number 10 not wing and shipley shouldnt be left wing either now we are league 1. looks like not getting a winger may haunt us for rest of season as he will have to play hiwulla out there i guess

Wasn’t bright signed to play LW?

Liquid Gold

I'm happy as it shows Robins is working towards a longer plan. He's seen players that aren't good enough for a promotion push and moved them out giving him funds for new contracts and, hopefully, for the summer where he can add to a settled squad of players with the aim of playoffs.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

We can sign out of contract players. So maybe a striker.

Did Ben Turner find a club after being released yesterday?

Scouting report from North West .
I saw Burton 9-0 against Man City.
Turner is a giant! I thought he played well despite scoreline. I would take him back for Sky Blues.

Marvin Sordell played quite well and does have skill. Didn't get much chance to score.
Burton had a small midfielder called Allen. He did just about everything for them and always available and "ran the show" for Burton . He got tired later understandably. and taken off. Great purchase for Coventry.

Salford City v Wrexham
Stuart Beavon for Wrexham was totally ineffective and quite rightly taken off at half time. New Years eve was the night before. Perhaps that was a factor.

In summary , get Turner back and chase after Allen. Beavon will not be coming back for sure.

Captain Dart

My thoughts.
1. Budget has been managed well. High salary players not performing have gone.
2. Ditto atmosphere a couple of less positive guys out. Hope their replacements are happy guys.
3. Squad looks well balanced. Cover in all positions.
4. We need Meyler to come up with the goods. If he does it should turn a misfiring team with too few goals into a winning team that is hard to beat.
5. Pace on both wings. Tasty.
6. Finding a potent goal threat remains a priority.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Are we thinking the Chelsea kid is pacy?

Didn’t look it from his YT vid IMO.
Well he seems to be able to drift past full backs and get a good cross in. Maybe its more trickery than pace but it matters not how he does it as long as he can do it at league one level.

PS. This from CT deadline day summary.
Rapid winger
Hearing good things about City’s new signing from Chelsea, Charlie Wakefield.

The 20-year-old worked with Adi Viveash during his time as a development coach at Stamford Bridge and the City number two apparently reckons he’s the quickest player he’s ever seen.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Scouting report from North West .
I saw Burton 9-0 against Man City.
Turner is a giant! I thought he played well despite scoreline. I would take him back for Sky Blues.

Marvin Sordell played quite well and does have skill. Didn't get much chance to score.
Burton had a small midfielder called Allen. He did just about everything for them and always available and "ran the show" for Burton . He got tired later understandably. and taken off. Great purchase for Coventry.

Salford City v Wrexham
Stuart Beavon for Wrexham was totally ineffective and quite rightly taken off at half time. New Years eve was the night before. Perhaps that was a factor.

In summary , get Turner back and chase after Allen. Beavon will not be coming back for sure.

Turner got run ragged. (obviously expected against those players).

He came off injured in the second game.

mark82

I’m not writing anyone off but just because players played in the premier league two years ago means nothing

I think the difference between Meyler and bigger name players we've signed in the past is that Meyler is at an age where he should be in his prime. Ok, he has lost his way a little but I think he's worth a shot. We do have to bear in mind he has played a limited number of games and it may take him a couple of weeks to get going. On paper he's too good for this level.

I've got a friend who is a Hull fan and they still rate him massively in Hull. Think Reading was just a bad move for him. Time will tell.

Great_Expectations

Pretty pleased overall. The departed players are not a loss (the Doyle sentiment aside) and the signings are promising.

Meyler has a better pedigree than the rest of our squad. Granted he isn’t match fit, but even at 70/75% he should be able to do a job for 60/70 minutes on Saturday.

Wakefield is young and untested, but so was Thomas and he has been one of our stand outs. The fact he is actually a natural winger is an improvement to the squad. If he can take people on, hold his position and be an outlet, then it’ll add the balance we need.

We didn’t sign a striker which is disappointing on the face of it, but equally already have four (five inc Ponticelli) first team strikers. Playing two up front and not be overly loyal to Chaplin will hopefully help one of them find their scoring boots.

We also shouldn’t forget we extended Thomas. And, as I put on another thread, didn’t lose any of our pivotal players that were rumoured to leave, namely Willis, Bayliss and Burge. While the latter isn’t perfect, we’d don’t exactly have a replacement lined up if he left suddenly.

I hope the signings can improve the squad and we find a way to push on. Sterling and Thomas are both valuable assets, and we’ll miss them next season, so we need to do what we can this year.

mark82

Turner got run ragged. (obviously expected against those players).

He came off injured in the second game.

I think he'd be worth a shot on a cheap deal to the end of the season with an option in the clubs favour to extend. If nothing else, may give us a bit more presence at set pieces! Would obviously help give a little more stability defensively going into next year if we do lose both Willis and Davies (which isn't a given).

Nick

Administrator
I think he'd be worth a shot on a cheap deal to the end of the season with an option in the clubs favour to extend. If nothing else, may give us a bit more presence at set pieces! Would obviously help give a little more stability defensively going into next year if we do lose both Willis and Davies (which isn't a given).

Depends on his injury, no point signing him if he is going to be injured for a bit.

mark82

Pretty pleased overall. The departed players are not a loss (the Doyle sentiment aside) and the signings are promising.

Meyler has a better pedigree than the rest of our squad. Granted he isn’t match fit, but even at 70/75% he should be able to do a job for 60/70 minutes on Saturday.

Wakefield is young and untested, but so was Thomas and he has been one of our stand outs. The fact he is actually a natural winger is an improvement to the squad. If he can take people on, hold his position and be an outlet, then it’ll add the balance we need.

We didn’t sign a striker which is disappointing on the face of it, but equally already have four (five inc Ponticelli) first team strikers. Playing two up front and not be overly loyal to Chaplin will hopefully help one of them find their scoring boots.

We also shouldn’t forget we extended Thomas. And, as I put on another thread, didn’t lose any of our pivotal players that were rumoured to leave, namely Willis, Bayliss and Burge. While the latter isn’t perfect, we’d don’t exactly have a replacement lined up if he left suddenly.

I hope the signings can improve the squad and we find a way to push on. Sterling and Thomas are both valuable assets, and we’ll miss them next season, so we need to do what we can this year.

We also have Bremang who has been doing well in the U23's. Whilst he may not be quite ready yet, it is another option if we need it.

mark82

Depends on his injury, no point signing him if he is going to be injured for a bit.

Yeah, of course. Found something saying he was out for 4 weeks (from last weekend) so doesn't sound too bad. Will need to clear the injury before he can sign for anyone though, so talking end of Feb I'd guess (unless someone takes a gamble).

Grendel

I think the difference between Meyler and bigger name players we've signed in the past is that Meyler is at an age where he should be in his prime.

Bit like that German striker who we signed who played for Hull in the Premier league

Otis

I still remember a lad saying something like "fuck this c**t off" or something along those lines.

It doesn't help that Robins has also stuck the boot in.

Give the lad a chance and a decent run in the side, I haven't seen somebody change the game like that Charlton one for a while.
Yep, agree. He was given so much shit, which made me back him all the more at the time.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread