Summary of January business (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

If Turner doesn't get a club soon I can see him going down the coming to train with us route so Robins can take a look without committing to anything. Can't live that far away if he was playing for Burton.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

QUOTE=Play_in_sky_Blue_Stripes
Scouting report from North West .
I saw Burton 9-0 against Man City.
Turner is a giant! I thought he played well despite scoreline. I would take him back for Sky Blues.

In summary , get Turner back and chase after Allen. Beavon will not be coming back for sure.

QUOTE="Nick, post: 1688199, member: 1"]Turner got run ragged. (obviously expected against those players).

He came off injured in the second game.[/QUOTE]

Watching the game live, I followed Turner closely being ex Sky Blues player. He has very good positional sense and obviously very strong . He wasn't to blame for heavy defeat.
Burton fan before the game did not expect him to be playing, which might have been an indication on Ben Turner injuries.

Great_Expectations

Turner on a pay as you play contract till the end of the season, with an option to sign full time next year if he proves his fitness and form sounds sensible to me.

He’s a similar style of player to Davies, but a higher league version.

Pete in Portugal

I’m not writing anyone off but just because players played in the premier league two years ago means nothing

And you're asking us to believe that the above together with ".......... a player whose career clearly in sharp decline", is NOT writing him off?????? I really don't think you realise how stupid this makes you appear Grendel.

If you're saying that seems pretty likely that Meyler will not be fully match fit and may take a few games before he's fully fit, then I'd agree with you. Meanwhile, only when we've seen him play a few games, will we get some idea of his current ability level and what he offers the team.

Magwitch

Think the window was okay managed to shift three players, Andrue, Ogogo and Doyle all would be high earners and unlikely to feature much, plus JCH who has become a bit part player lately doesn’t score many and probably at the higher end of our pay scale, don’t know anything about Wakefield or a lot about Meyler but he is a big tough nut in centre mid. something in my opinion we’ve been crying out for. We haven’t lost any of our main defenders that was my main concern. Personally I would have liked what I call a proper centre forward, a Dion Dublin type but maybe that’s for the summer. Robins over the last 12 months has added a number of young players obviously planning for next season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Exactly. It's time Robins starts trying to play to the player's strengths rather than trying to fit players into a system that might not work.

Their defence couldn't get near him that day as he was picking the ball up, laying it off and then making runs into the box. That's something not many of our other players do.

Agree entirely.

"ask not how the players can fit around your system, but ask how your system can fit around the players"

Adge

I guess the business done yesterday shows that we are really starting to plan for next season by getting rid of a few high earners that won’t be part of this or next season’s plans.
We are not going down or we will not be challenging for playoffs etc and I think the club/Robins may have already accepted that.

robbiekeane

I guess the business done yesterday shows that we are really starting to plan for next season by getting rid of a few high earners that won’t be part of this or next season’s plans.
We are not going down or we will not be challenging for playoffs etc and I think the club/Robins may have already accepted that.
Think we could still challenge. Would assume Robins thinks the same

Reactions: vow

stupot07

Arrivals

Conor Chaplin (Permanent)

Part of the loan deal from the summer loan window, made the permanent move from Portsmouth. Everyone was absolutely screaming and frothing at the mouth to “ANNOUNCE CHAPLIN” and absolutely no one else would do at all. Baka got nothing but shit from day one for simply not being Conor Chaplin. Rumoured to be around £500k. Jury still out clearly but all the raving lunatics were losing their shit over the prospect of not securing him because big bad SISU were tight.

Bright Enobakhare (Loan - end of season)

Centre forward/AM from Wolves on loan. So far so good. Good addition to bolster attacking options which we seem to have been screaming for (despite having about 10 strikers).

David
Meyler (Loan - end of season).
29 year old centre mid from a championship club with over 100 Premier league appearances in his career. Hopefully that bit of bite/aggression we have been lacking unless we played Doyle and sacrificed a space for a more competent player at this level. This really does look to be a decent bit of business on paper!

Charlie Wakefield (permanent 18 month deal)
Right back/right mid Signed from Chelsea’s U23s. Looks to be one for the development squad but I think to be honest we heard that about Hyam and others who have turned out to get a chance in the first team but I guess it takes the pressure off. Solely going on videos alone (I know I know) he looks to be able to beat his man and get the ball into dangerous areas. Happy with this signing on paper.

Declan Drysdale (Perm from Tranmere rovers)
Defender. Agreed compensation and signed from Tranmere, with a view to joining the U23s. Seems to be one from the future and I for one am happy to see us strengthening the U23s to give us future options.

Michael Rose (Perm from Ayr United, joins in summer)
Defender. As above he joins in the summer. 23 years old and the Ayr fans seem to be pretty sad to see him go. Has played a lot of senior games in Scottish football albeit Scottish Championship level. Looks to be a good prospect another option next year. Nice to get those things done in advance.

Departures

Jonson Clarke-Harris (Perm to Bristol Rovers)
Not bothered about this one really. For a big bad bloke who was supposed to have a bit of a gangster attitude and was covered in tattoos, he fell over and got bitched about quite a lot. Missed a couple of sitters and was never prolific in front of goal. I am not sure Robins would have signed him if it wasn’t part of the deal from season before. Good to get him off the wage bill as he’s clearly not part of robins plans.

Michael Doyle (Perm to Notts County)
Bit gutted about this from a sentimental point of view but Doyle clearly wanted to play week in week out whether that was here or somewhere else if not. Obviously a leader and would have been good to have around the dressing room but we got Meyler who can hopefully fill that same role and it’s no question if it’s a choice between the two. Looks like he’ll be back anyway and would have been on a fair whack so good to free up the funds to facilitate some of the arrivals.

Abu Ogogo (perm Bristol rovers)
But if a bizarre signing really cause he was apparently class last year then dog shit when he got here. He obviously wasn’t playing and rumours of a bad attitude so see ya.

Tony Andreu (Loan to Hamilton)
Didn’t fit into our system and couldn’t really back playing deeper in midfield. Never really lived up to the hype and was supposed to be our marquee signing last year so probably a pretty costly fringe player. Right move.

All in all I am pretty happy with that. Shame we couldn’t get another decent winger over the line but not sure what happened there with that other bloke from West Brom. Think Meyler will be an important signing for us and I’m glad we got rid of the players who weren’t playing and clearly weren’t happy to warm the bench. Not good for morale banging into players who aren’t playing.

For me Enobakhare has flattered to deceive, especially in his 2 games at home. Lots of ability, and skill but drops far too deep was often deeper than Westbrook last week and hasn't really affected games in the final third which is what he was brought in to do. Looks great skinning people, but it achieves nothing when you're in your own half with 10 men behind the ball.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
For me Enobakhare has flattered to deceive, especially in his 2 games at home. Lots of ability, and skill but drops far too deep was often deeper than Westbrook last week and hasn't really affected games in the final third which is what he was brought in to do. Looks great skinning people, but it achieves nothing when you're in your own half with 10 men behind the ball.

He did well when they countered and he was on his own under pressure to be fair

He was picking sterling out every time, think with more willing runners he will do better

When Chaplin went there he was just as deep, it must be tactical or the players aren't understanding what robins wants

SkyBlueCRJ

Even though the business wasn’t electrifying, I’d suggest it was one of the best January windows we’ve had in recent years due to be simple fact that we haven’t panicked and brought in tripe. Meyler is an ireland international, Wakefield has an excellent pedigree, Bright has Championship experience and looks a threat and Rose is being tipped for a future Scotland cap by those north of the border. Most importantly though we’ve shifted the majority of our high earning fringe players which sets us up well for the summer.

Compared to some of the disaster Jan windows we’ve had in previous seasons I’d say that’s not bad going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazolba

Shame we couldn't have got Peter Crouch. He's 38.
There was a time when players like him would drop down the divisions but apparently not any more.

stupot07

He was picking sterling out every time, think with more willing runners he will do better
He needs to play play further up the pitch. We need goals, and him playing number 10 we cannot afford for him to be so deep. May have just kept Andreu if hes going to play that deep.

He has a lot of ability, you can see that but he needs to do it where it hurts teams. Its no good him picking out sterling from the half way line, when we need him in the box with Chaplin. Some of this is robins fault. He took bright off for Bakayoko and immediately brought Chaplin back 20 yards keeping 1 up front., then did the same when JCH came on.

Nick

Administrator
He needs to play play further up the pitch. We need goals, and him playing number 10 we cannot afford for him to be so deep. May have just kept Andreu if hes going to play that deep.

He has a lot of ability, you can see that but he needs to do it where it hurts teams. Its no good him picking out sterling from the half way line, when we need him in the box with Chaplin. Some of this is robins fault. He took bright off for Bakayoko and immediately brought Chaplin back 20 yards keeping 1 up front., then did the same when JCH came on.

Agree, thats what makes me think it's tactical because everybody who plays there seems to sit so deep rather than breaking their neck to get into the box.

Mucca Mad Boys

Shame we couldn't have got Peter Crouch. He's 38.
There was a time when players like him would drop down the divisions but apparently not any more.

The same Peter Crouch that’s signed for Burnley this window?

NortonSkyBlue

I can see the thinking behind the outgoing players being moved on but am underwhelmed by the incoming. I hope to be proven wrong.
So far Bright looks okay but with little end product and we already have a few of those including everyone's wankfest Thomas.
Chaplin is a disappointment to date, he hides in my opinion but I can see something to hang on to hope that he will come good.
The Chelsea boy is a punt and Meyler is a Hail Mary throw of the dice. As I say I hope I am wrong.
I am inclined to have faith that Robins knows what he is doing but he does test my resolve.

no_loyalty

Squad as it stands:

GK: Burge/LOB/Addai
RB: Sterling/Grimmer
LB: Brown/Mason/McCallum
CB: Willis/Hyam/Davies/Thompson/Those kids we signed whose name I forget
CM: Meyler/Kelly/Westbrooke/Bayliss
RW: Thomas/Wakefield
LW: Enobakhare/Shipley
ST: Chaplin/Hiwula/Bakayoko

Have I missed anyone?

Seems OK for the rest of the season, seems light up front though, which is a worry for a team with scoring problems.

Allasani is still here.

Magwitch

I can see the thinking behind the outgoing players being moved on but am underwhelmed by the incoming. I hope to be proven wrong.
So far Bright looks okay but with little end product and we already have a few of those including everyone's wankfest Thomas.
Chaplin is a disappointment to date, he hides in my opinion but I can see something to hang on to hope that he will come good.
The Chelsea boy is a punt and Meyler is a Hail Mary throw of the dice. As I say I hope I am wrong.
I am inclined to have faith that Robins knows what he is doing but he does test my resolve.
We are third division, with little or no money, people seem to forget that, difficult almost impossible to sign established players from higher up or even our own division, so we have to gamble a bit, division four, non league, players with injury history, reserves, Scottish leagues they won’t all come off.

SkyBlueCRJ

Christ taking the glass half empty approach much? We’ve also signed an Ireland international, a player who has been brought through an excellent academy system, and a winger with Championship experience who has shown flashes of being a threat. Plus Rose who has been tipped for a very bright future. This window has been far better than the majority of previous January windows at CCFC. Unless you want to completely pay over the odds for a player (E.g. Sunderland paying £4M for Will Grigg) then you have to wheel and deal. It’s the name of the game unfortunately.

Nick

Administrator
Christ taking the glass half empty approach much? We’ve also signed an Ireland international, a player who has been brought through an excellent academy system, and a winger with Championship experience who has shown flashes of being a threat. Plus Rose who has been tipped for a very bright future. This window has been far better than the majority of previous January windows at CCFC. Unless you want to completely pay over the odds for a player (E.g. Sunderland paying £4M for Will Grigg) then you have to wheel and deal. It’s the name of the game unfortunately.
I did see somebody whinging that Sunderland had spent millions and we hadn't.

It's bellends with Sky Sports making them think thats how it is.. They want us to spend millions, if that player then doesn't work out just expect us to forget him and then buy another one. Rinse and repeat.

NortonSkyBlue

More like Allah than Christ here in Riyadh!
How do you know that this window has been better than others? Time will tell. Willing it to happen doesn't make it a good window.

SkyBlueCRJ

I did see somebody whinging that Sunderland had spent millions and we hadn't.

It's bellends with Sky Sports making them think thats how it is.. They want us to spend millions, if that player then doesn't work out just expect us to forget him and then buy another one. Rinse and repeat.

I’d be absolutely baffled at the decision making of the club if they thought spending £4M for a player who is more or less guaranteed to be average/poor at Championship level was a good idea - as Grigg’s record has shown this season. It’s complete short terminism. Ironically it’s that exact situation that got Sunderland in such a mess in the first place.

SkyBlueCRJ

More like Allah than Christ here in Riyadh!
How do you know that this window has been better than others? Time will tell. Willing it to happen doesn't make it a good window.

Well for starters we haven’t signed the over 30’s club who were doomed to fail from the off. Plus we’ve offloaded the majority of our highest earners. That sets us up well for the summer as we won’t be wasting hundreds of thousands on paying players that aren’t playing.

Time will tell but on paper I think we could’ve done a lot worse.

Great_Expectations

When Chaplin went there he was just as deep, it must be tactical or the players aren't understanding what robins wants

I agree re the runners, plus the more technical players around the better, as they can interlink and play off each other as we have seen in glimpses.

Bright, Bayliss, Thomas, Sterling are all technically superior players for L1, add in Hiwula and Kelly who are technically able for L1, and now Meyler, who should be head and shoulders above, and potentially even Wakefield based on the academy he progressed through.

All in all we should be out playing teams, it just comes back to the lack of a clinical striker, not just in front of goal but positionally as well. CC comes way too deep and is really poor on the ball, so it slows things down and takes him away from where he should be.

Adge

How is meyler anything other than a major coup
Lets wait and see-people are getting clouded by him playing in the Prem which as we know doesn’t really apply in the hustle and bustle of L1. How many Premier league games did Hunt play and we all know what happened there.....

Users who are viewing this thread