Striker (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

There’s no way players are going to go for the fees they previously have in the Championship.
Economy is shot and clubs are going to suffer this season if they’re not careful. There will be an abundance of decent players available on free transfers.

DannyThomas_1981

Give Godden a chance can see him doing well with the support from the other players

I agree N4ted.

Last season Godden wasn't match fit when he arrived, then played through an injury for quite a few games - that's very very difficult as the lone striker and always being outnumbered.

It was only in the last 3rd of the season that we began to see the best of Godden - and he looked exceptional to me.

Very promising signs in the last 3rd of the season of a partnership with O'Hare as well (playing as our 10). Add in the firepower of Hamer and a fully fit Allen for next season - things look even more promising in terms of support from our midfield.

And when JJ is introduced back into the side that's going to create a whole lot of different questions for the oppo - again helpful for Godden - Godden is lethal when he's fully fit and on form.

cooperskyblue

Chaplin has scored double figures this season for Barnsley so I certainly believe Godden is capable of that sort if return.

My mate is a Cardiff fan, they don't have a player with over double figure goals and they are 6th. Goals from around the team will be huge this year, the likes of O'hare, Allen need to be getting 5 or 6 each atleast.

cc84cov

Hamer sounds great but i think it's dangerous for fans to label him as equal to or better than Walsh without even seeing him
Naturally is gonna happen as he’s Walsh’s replacement I imagine a lot of works gone into recruiting him and scouting for the fee we’ve paid etc,he’s got big boots to fill looking forward to seeing him play Saturday.

Nick can we have a match threat yet ? 👀

covcity4life

Naturally is gonna happen as he’s Walsh’s replacement I imagine a lot of works gone into recruiting him and scouting for the fee we’ve paid etc,he’s got big boots to fill looking forward to seeing him play Saturday.

Nick can we have a match threat yet ? 👀

Yeah i just seems few posts syaing we have improved midfield and we have no idea if we have yet. We have lost 1 player and gained 1 new player and brought back another

cc84cov

Yeah i just seems few posts syaing we have improved midfield and we have no idea if we have yet. We have lost 1 player and gained 1 new player and brought back another
The biggest loss is Walsh for me all the pressure of any new signings will be on the Hamer,we need another holding midfielder Kelly will pick up at least 1 knock during the season.

shmmeee

Added Hilßner.

I think jury’s out but the signs look promising, just as they did with reports of O’Hare and Walsh last season.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

And no reason to think he will be better either thats all i am saying
Oh no don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he will be. Walsh was class. And if we could sign him instead of Hamer I would have done on the basis we have seen him.

Ultimately Walsh is a bit of unknown quantity at championship level, baring in mind Bristol City didn’t see him at that level yet when they sent him out on loan

cc84cov

Oh no don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he will be. Walsh was class. And if we could sign him instead of Hamer I would have done on the basis we have seen him.

Ultimately Walsh is a bit of unknown quantity at championship level, baring in mind Bristol City didn’t see him at that level yet when they sent him out on loan
Walsh will have no problems in the championship

Exit Stage Left

Terry Gibson was shit for us. If you take out his hatrick against Liverpool and the brace against Luton the week before, he only scored 12 goals in 33 games in 1983/84, hardly prolific.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. If there's any particular striker you don't like then just ignore the games in which he scores hat-tricks because they don't count.

cc84cov

He was probably the best midfielder in the 'home' FA cup game against Blues. In fact there was no probably about it.
100% he ran absolute rings round them in the replay when he came on you could see the difference he made also,the lad is a class act huge miss.

Magwitch

Kelly was missing, injured for the opening games this season we improved when he got back, he is one of these players who quietly does his job often unnoticed but if he’s not there you notice a bit like Henderson at Liverpool but at a lower level obviously.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agree to a certain degree but I think some don’t see what Kelly brings to the team.

It’s easy to underestimate the role of strong leaders in a team environment.

In this respect, McFadz was also an astute signing because Kelly needed another leader in the team going into last season. It’s possibly why Stockdale made such an impact on loan in that 1st L1 season.

We’re one of the youngest teams in the EFL, we need experience in key places to organise and guide the team of nippers we have!

Users who are viewing this thread