Striker (6 Viewers)

Skybluedownunder

One has to wonder why we didn’t get Lawrence Shankland when we were up in Scotland scouting him and instead chose Dundee United. The guy bags goals for fun! Unfortunately with the calibre of clubs that were chasing him this season I very much doubt we would stand a chance, nor could we now afford him. As Dundee got promoted to Scottish Prem he would only leave to a bigger club.

One striker I feel could potentially be within our budget and we stand a chance of getting would be Paddy Madden, he was on the bench for the 1st leg of Fleetwood’s semi final which I’m sure he wouldn’t have been too impressed with... probably why he got sent off when he came on haha.

I know everybody is on the Godden train but realistically he didn’t score in that many games, if you take into consderation the two hat tricks and only count one goal per game in those two he only scored in 10 games out of the 26 he played in, hardly prolific

covcity4life

I am not sure godden is good enough to be number 1 striker for s team looking tonget to prem i agree

But no idea who this dude is either. First goal is probably staying up so godden can help usbthete hopefully

Wolves loaned to come perhaps a d Baja and max there as physical plan bs

eastwoodsdustman

One has to wonder why we didn’t get Lawrence Shankland when we were up in Scotland scouting him and instead chose Dundee United. The guy bags goals for fun! Unfortunately with the calibre of clubs that were chasing him this season I very much doubt we would stand a chance, nor could we now afford him. As Dundee got promoted to Scottish Prem he would only leave to a bigger club.

One striker I feel could potentially be within our budget and we stand a chance of getting would be Paddy Madden, he was on the bench for the 1st leg of Fleetwood’s semi final which I’m sure he wouldn’t have been too impressed with... probably why he got sent off when he came on haha.

I know everybody is on the Godden train but realistically he didn’t score in that many games, if you take into consderation the two hat tricks and only count one goal per game in those two he only scored in 10 games out of the 26 he played in, hardly prolific

Most decent strikers go at a goal every 3 games. A goal every 2.6 games even taking out the hat tricks is a very good ratio. Madden is knocking on a bit now and if we need another stiker then it'll be someone much younger than him.

Skybluedownunder

I just honestly do not know why we extended Baka’s contract, he’s awful and Robins didn’t seem to like him either. He would have been one I would have preferred off the wage bill and to look at new options. Let’s say we have 4 strikers in our squad... having Baka is not one we can call upon in this league to get us out of trouble. I honestly hope we resigned him to get a fee for him during this window. I was honestly shocked when we paid £300k to sign him in the first place

KeresleyArmpit

I just honestly do not know why we extended Baka’s contract, he’s awful and Robins didn’t seem to like him either. He would have been one I would have preferred off the wage bill and to look at new options. Let’s say we have 4 strikers in our squad... having Baka is not one we can call upon in this league to get us out of trouble. I honestly hope we resigned him to get a fee for him during this window. I was honestly shocked when we paid £300k to sign him in the first place
We did not pay 300k for Baka and we will not be signing Paddy Madden.

Magwitch

Get the striker right and it makes all the difference to how you do. Leicester a prime example now a top six team with a prem title under their belt a lot down to Vardy and his goals a bargain basement signing. Then look at Villa promoted thanks a lot to Tammy Abrahams, goes back to Chelski Villa struggle.

Don’t know who I’d like to be honest not sure if there’s anyone in division one that much better than Godden and the role he plays, Ivan Toney seems to be the divisions striker super star but I wouldn’t spend out on him. The money Peterborough are talking is fanciful to be honest.

mr_monkey

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Shankland - Robins clearly didn’t fancy him. And there’s no guarantee he’d be any better than McNulty who also bagged for fun in the Scottish championship. (Who also isn’t good enough)

Paddy Madden played 9 games in the championship without scoring. He’s getting on a bit. If we were preparing for relegation then I’m all for it. But he clearly isn’t good enough

Skybluefaz

Madden scored in 13 out of 35 slightly worse record than Godden. I'd take him in league one, not in the Champ as he's a similar player to Godden but a bit of a downgrade. We need better.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He joined Dundee Utd for £1m. Don't think we had that kind of money available at the time.

Guy can clearly get goals (albeit at a level that's hardly first rate) but I always feel you should have that option of someone who just seems to score for fun. No idea what his all round game is like but a lot of managers do seem to prefer the all round game to an out and out goalscorer. MR I reckon saw him in a similar vein to Ponti.

Skybluedownunder

He joined Dundee Utd for £1m. Don't think we had that kind of money available at the time.

Guy can clearly get goals (albeit at a level that's hardly first rate) but I always feel you should have that option of someone who just seems to score for fun. No idea what his all round game is like but a lot of managers do seem to prefer the all round game to an out and out goalscorer. MR I reckon saw him in a similar vein to Ponti.

It was a free transfer

EXCLUSIVE: Lawrence Shankland agrees three-year deal with Dundee United

Sky Blue Harry H

A PL forward ought to be the way, if we go down the loan route (e.g. Brewster the Liverpool lad at Swansea) or a hungry permanent signing (Peter Ndlovu mark 2) would be nice. Not easy to get right, but for the fit of our club I don't want an 'old head' (unless of course MR does, then I'll change my mind!)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I do not see peoples problem with Godden’s goal return because if u go on the games he has scored to games he has played earlier stated as 10 in 26 games thats about a goal every 2.5 games so thats not that bad all we need is to play a quick and or strong striker with him and I think we will survive

fernandopartridge

Get the striker right and it makes all the difference to how you do. Leicester a prime example now a top six team with a prem title under their belt a lot down to Vardy and his goals a bargain basement signing. Then look at Villa promoted thanks a lot to Tammy Abrahams, goes back to Chelski Villa struggle.

Don’t know who I’d like to be honest not sure if there’s anyone in division one that much better than Godden and the role he plays, Ivan Toney seems to be the divisions striker super star but I wouldn’t spend out on him. The money Peterborough are talking is fanciful to be honest.
Leicester all round have got a strong squad, it isn't much to do with just their striker

skyblueelephant76

He turned down bigger clubs than us to stay in the Scottish Championship, don't think we'd have had a chance even if we wanted him.

Sky Blue Harry H

He turned down bigger clubs than us to stay in the Scottish Championship, don't think we'd have had a chance even if we wanted him.

To be honest (and only based on a couple of games I've seen him play) - meh.
Scottish football below a handful of teams is really average. Half of our League 1 teams would win their 'Championship' and survive in the SPL (imho)

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Terry Gibson was shit for us. If you take out his hatrick against Liverpool and the brace against Luton the week before, he only scored 12 goals in 33 games in 1983/84, hardly prolific.

Magwitch

Wouldn’t be surprised if he has his eyes on Rangers or Celtic, these two clubs have massive drawers on Scottish players and Dundee United would he an ideal shop window for Shankland.

Paxman II

I think you all underestimate Godden. Likewise many seem to think the championship is the champions league. We need another good striker to come in to compliment our squad and having two good ones will be competative and keep us scoring. We also have a team and style of play where goals are expected almost throughout the side. I don't expect that to change either.

Sky Blue Harry H

Probably not fit into our style? but Matt Smith at Millwall is almost unplayable in the air. One hell of a weapon, and surprised other clubs haven't gambled on him.

Users who are viewing this thread